For WUSTL Applicants

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
fl0w

Re: For WUSTL Applicants

Postby fl0w » Thu Jul 15, 2010 2:05 pm

romothesavior wrote:
Regionality wrote:
That's a good idea...

It would have to be during my cross country trip to WI...could stop in St Louis (kinda outa the way, but not terribly).

Who should I try to set up meetings with? My meetings would go like this:

"Hi, thanks for meeting with me. I love you school and would attend if accepted. In fact, if you tell me I'm in now, I won't drive to Wisconsin but instead start frantically looking for an apartment in St. Louis. What do you say!?! Eh!?!"

Honestly, what would you have to lose at that point in the cycle? If they say no, you just pack up and go to WI. Maybe they'll say, "You've got the next open seat." I have heard some stories of people doing things like this and it working out, and other times it probably doesn't. But if you are going to be in the Midwest, you might as well try!

My best friend did this. He basically crashed an admitted students day and spoke with the dean for a while. Then he dropped the fact that he hadn't actually been accepted. The dean said "this has to be a mistake, let's go take a look at your file." They did, and the dean handed him an admit on the spot.

Never underestimate the power of the personal touch.

Regionality

Postby Regionality » Thu Jul 15, 2010 2:37 pm

fl0w wrote:
romothesavior wrote:
Regionality wrote:
That's a good idea...

It would have to be during my cross country trip to WI...could stop in St Louis (kinda outa the way, but not terribly).

Who should I try to set up meetings with? My meetings would go like this:

"Hi, thanks for meeting with me. I love you school and would attend if accepted. In fact, if you tell me I'm in now, I won't drive to Wisconsin but instead start frantically looking for an apartment in St. Louis. What do you say!?! Eh!?!"

Honestly, what would you have to lose at that point in the cycle? If they say no, you just pack up and go to WI. Maybe they'll say, "You've got the next open seat." I have heard some stories of people doing things like this and it working out, and other times it probably doesn't. But if you are going to be in the Midwest, you might as well try!

My best friend did this. He basically crashed an admitted students day and spoke with the dean for a while. Then he dropped the fact that he hadn't actually been accepted. The dean said "this has to be a mistake, let's go take a look at your file." They did, and the dean handed him an admit on the spot.

Never underestimate the power of the personal touch.

I so don't have the cahonas for this. Amazing.

quadsixm

Postby quadsixm » Thu Jul 15, 2010 3:57 pm

Man, I'm in the same boat. I've tried everything - 4 LOCIs, 2 phone calls, 2 additional LORs, and all I've gotten back
is "Thanks, added to your file." I've called and asked, but I've never gotten any feedback more specific than this. I'm getting really frustrated - I just want to know if I actually have a shot, or if I'm just getting strung along. I know they've taken several people with my LSAT score and < 25th percentile GPA's already, and given out the standard splitter scholly... so accepting me should have the same effect on their medians/percentiles... I wouldn't think they would care, but maybe my GPA is just too far below 25th for them?

Regionality wrote:I feel so helpless w/ WUSTL. I've sent them 3 LOCI's, each time receiving the canned response of "Thanks, added to your file". I called in once to let them know, and whoever the hell I got on the phone said "Thanks, I'll make a note by your file"....

I want to go to WUSTL the most out of any school that didn't reject me. I'd go the 1st day of orientation if they called me...but I just don't get the sense that there's anything I can do to let them know in a way that they'd care about.

I just want to know if there's any chance for me. Do they remove ppl from the waitlist as the cycle progresses?

I'm 163/3.64...low numbers for them especially if they are still going for a 3.7 GPA Median instead of 3.6...but I would say that my numbers have overperformed this cycle (outright admit to Hastings, W&L, Iowa and a scholarship from WI would appear to indicate strongish softs)

What do people think? Hopeless for WUSTL or a shot this late in the cycle?

Regionality

Postby Regionality » Thu Jul 15, 2010 6:18 pm

quadsixm wrote:Man, I'm in the same boat. I've tried everything - 4 LOCIs, 2 phone calls, 2 additional LORs, and all I've gotten back
is "Thanks, added to your file." I've called and asked, but I've never gotten any feedback more specific than this. I'm getting really frustrated - I just want to know if I actually have a shot, or if I'm just getting strung along. I know they've taken several people with my LSAT score and < 25th percentile GPA's already, and given out the standard splitter scholly... so accepting me should have the same effect on their medians/percentiles... I wouldn't think they would care, but maybe my GPA is just too far below 25th for them?

Regionality wrote:I feel so helpless w/ WUSTL. I've sent them 3 LOCI's, each time receiving the canned response of "Thanks, added to your file". I called in once to let them know, and whoever the hell I got on the phone said "Thanks, I'll make a note by your file"....

I want to go to WUSTL the most out of any school that didn't reject me. I'd go the 1st day of orientation if they called me...but I just don't get the sense that there's anything I can do to let them know in a way that they'd care about.

I just want to know if there's any chance for me. Do they remove ppl from the waitlist as the cycle progresses?

I'm 163/3.64...low numbers for them especially if they are still going for a 3.7 GPA Median instead of 3.6...but I would say that my numbers have overperformed this cycle (outright admit to Hastings, W&L, Iowa and a scholarship from WI would appear to indicate strongish softs)

What do people think? Hopeless for WUSTL or a shot this late in the cycle?

Sucks...where are you going if no WL's come through? What are your numbers?

Slimpee

Postby Slimpee » Thu Jul 15, 2010 6:31 pm

Regionality wrote:I'm 163/3.64...low numbers for them especially if they are still going for a 3.7 GPA Median instead of 3.6...but I would say that my numbers have overperformed this cycle (outright admit to Hastings, W&L, Iowa and a scholarship from WI would appear to indicate strongish softs)

This is a fantastic example of how just one class during UG can alter your future. Seriously. I have a 164/3.51 so slightly higher/slightly lower than you and got WL'ed at WL, WLe'd/Accepted at WI but no money, no money at Iowa, and outright rejected from WUSTL. And I have decent softs, too (fwiw). Had I put just a little more work into a few classes fresh and soph year I would have an entirely different cycle...and we're not even bringing up the LSAT!

Good luck w/ WUSTL!

quadsixm

Postby quadsixm » Thu Jul 15, 2010 6:34 pm

Regionality wrote:Sucks...where are you going if no WL's come through? What are your numbers?

I'm heading to W&L barring any WL's... I've got a 168/2.x. I said that I was willing to wait until 8/15, but that's really really pushing it... C'mon WUSTL! I'm really really far away and holding off on making living arrangements is stressful.
Last edited by quadsixm on Mon Jul 19, 2010 6:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fl0w

Postby fl0w » Thu Jul 15, 2010 6:46 pm

quadsixm wrote:
Regionality wrote:Sucks...where are you going if no WL's come through? What are your numbers?

I'm heading to W&L barring any WL's... I've got a 168/<2.6. I said that I was willing to wait until 8/15, but that's really really pushing it... C'mon WUSTL! I'm really really far away and holding off on making living arrangements is stressful.

i'm not joking man. make that visit.

quadsixm

Postby quadsixm » Thu Jul 15, 2010 7:02 pm

fl0w wrote:i'm not joking man. make that visit.

Wish I could. My gf is moving to Columbus to attend grad school at Mizzou... perhaps I can swing a visit if I fly out there to help her get situated.

Regionality

Postby Regionality » Thu Jul 15, 2010 7:25 pm

Slimpee wrote:
Regionality wrote:I'm 163/3.64...low numbers for them especially if they are still going for a 3.7 GPA Median instead of 3.6...but I would say that my numbers have overperformed this cycle (outright admit to Hastings, W&L, Iowa and a scholarship from WI would appear to indicate strongish softs)

This is a fantastic example of how just one class during UG can alter your future. Seriously. I have a 164/3.51 so slightly higher/slightly lower than you and got WL'ed at WL, WLe'd/Accepted at WI but no money, no money at Iowa, and outright rejected from WUSTL. And I have decent softs, too (fwiw). Had I put just a little more work into a few classes fresh and soph year I would have an entirely different cycle...and we're not even bringing up the LSAT!

Good luck w/ WUSTL!

I definitely agree with this, but I actually tend to try to view it from the opposite perspective. For every class that I got an easy "A" in, there was a class that I got a B+ in that I should/could have worked harder in. I actually don't resent my UGPA very much...

I more resent the fact that I was literally 1 question on the LSAT away from a 164, and one of the questions that I got wrong was the #1 question of a logic game (the ones everyone should get correct with the ability to read)...I had answered 100% correct in my PTs...but for some damn reason on test day I messed this one up. And there you go...163 not 164. I feel that my cycle would have been somewhat different with a 164 instead of 163. But this is the name of the game...

Regionality

Postby Regionality » Thu Jul 15, 2010 7:27 pm

fl0w wrote:
quadsixm wrote:

I'm heading to W&L barring any WL's... I've got a 168/<2.6. I said that I was willing to wait until 8/15, but that's really really pushing it... C'mon WUSTL! I'm really really far away and holding off on making living arrangements is stressful.

i'm not joking man. make that visit.

Think a visit on August 20th would be too late?

fl0w

Postby fl0w » Thu Jul 15, 2010 8:58 pm

Regionality wrote:Think a visit on August 20th would be too late?

i mean that's literally right before orientation. if you could do it earlier i would.

Regionality

Postby Regionality » Thu Jul 15, 2010 9:00 pm

fl0w wrote:

i mean that's literally right before orientation. if you could do it earlier i would.

I mean I'm hoping that right before orientation will be the highest ratio of open spots to willing WLers...then I'll show up wearing my law school cape and swoop in to claim one of the last remaining spots...on the back of my cape will read "Will forfeit Madison Security Deposit for WUSTL LAW!"

fl0w

Postby fl0w » Thu Jul 15, 2010 10:49 pm

Regionality wrote:
fl0w wrote:

I mean I'm hoping that right before orientation will be the highest ratio of open spots to willing WLers...then I'll show up wearing my law school cape and swoop in to claim one of the last remaining spots...on the back of my cape will read "Will forfeit Madison Security Deposit for WUSTL LAW!"

haha, i'm really pullin' for you man. you crack me up!

jmhallah

Postby jmhallah » Sat Jul 17, 2010 9:04 pm

did you guys get some sort of confirmation when you paid your $600 deposit?

also, looking for some reassurance/advice from y'all:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=123993&view=viewpoll

thanks

Regionality

Postby Regionality » Sun Jul 18, 2010 12:18 am

jmhallah wrote:did you guys get some sort of confirmation when you paid your $600 deposit?

thanks

Are you still committed to both of these schools?

How much money is IU-B giving you?

jmhallah

Postby jmhallah » Sun Jul 18, 2010 2:20 am

Regionality wrote:
jmhallah wrote:did you guys get some sort of confirmation when you paid your $600 deposit?

thanks

it's not iu-b. it's iu-indy (88th?). and they are giving me 9k/semester contingent on a 3.2.

Regionality

Postby Regionality » Sun Jul 18, 2010 1:24 pm

jmhallah wrote:
Regionality wrote:

thanks

it's not iu-b. it's iu-indy (88th?). and they are giving me 9k/semester contingent on a 3.2.

And you got into WUSTL as well and you're torn? Are you crazy?

jmhallah

Postby jmhallah » Sun Jul 18, 2010 3:11 pm

thanks all. see you in the fall..

myq

Postby myq » Sun Jul 18, 2010 10:01 pm

jmhallah wrote:thanks all. see you in the fall..

Congrats on the decision. It wouldn't hurt to e-mail them and ask about a scholarship...I think splitters and reverse splitters have been getting 10k/year.

jman77

Postby jman77 » Mon Jul 19, 2010 3:27 pm

MURPH wrote:UCLA didn't quite match the scholarship I got from WUSTL but they did offer some more $. I also have a GI Bill and Yellow ribbon scholarship which is more generous in California. Both schools were pissed that I was malingering with multiple deposits. WUSTL threatened to take my scholarship away, UCLA just pouted a bit. But I made my choice over the weekend and just sat down at the computer yesterday to let them know.
jman77 wrote:
MURPH wrote:Spot opened up today...I'l be going elsewhere. I hope one of you gets my spot.

Are you going to UCLA? I saw you ask some questions about housing in the LA area awhile back.

I am still undecided, but leaning towards foregoing WUSTL in favor UCLA as well. UCLA gave me until Friday to decide, and I think I am going to hold off my decision until then. This is such a tough call.

Edit: What do you guys think about either of these 2 scenarios?

1) Use UCLA acceptance to ask WUSTL for more money.
2) Use WUSTL money to ask UCLA for money.

Any chance either works out favorably?

I just got a $30K scholarship from UCLA. I will be withdrawing from WUSTL shortly. Hope the open spot and $117K benefits one of you fine folks. I know that's a lot of money I'm leaving on the table, but I can't pass up the opportunity to stay in SoCal.

Good luck all!

servinDizzert

Postby servinDizzert » Mon Jul 19, 2010 3:31 pm

I just got a $30K scholarship from UCLA. I will be withdrawing from WUSTL shortly. Hope the open spot and $117K benefits one of you fine folks. I know that's a lot of money I'm leaving on the table, but I can't pass up the opportunity to stay in SoCal.

Good luck all!

Thank you for the possible spot and money!! WUSTL please put me out of my misery and let me enjoy the rest of my summer...

najumobi

Postby najumobi » Mon Jul 19, 2010 4:54 pm

jman77 wrote:I just got a $30K scholarship from UCLA. I will be withdrawing from WUSTL shortly. Hope the open spot and $117K benefits one of you fine folks. I know that's a lot of money I'm leaving on the table, but I can't pass up the opportunity to stay in SoCal.

Good luck all!

goodluck to you to and congrats on your decision.

quadsixm

Postby quadsixm » Mon Jul 19, 2010 5:59 pm

jman77 wrote:I just got a $30K scholarship from UCLA. I will be withdrawing from WUSTL shortly. Hope the open spot and $117K benefits one of you fine folks. I know that's a lot of money I'm leaving on the table, but I can't pass up the opportunity to stay in SoCal.
Good luck all!

Good luck and congrats on UCLA... you're going to love it there.

Now WUSTL... cmon!

jman77

Postby jman77 » Tue Jul 20, 2010 1:46 am

Thanks guys, and the best of luck to all of you!

quadsixm

Postby quadsixm » Wed Jul 28, 2010 4:23 pm

Finally IN off of hold!! I will almost certainly be joining you guys in STL this fall. I'm in a state of shock right now...

Didn't get scholly in the email though... Deebs and other recent admits, did you get the splitter scholly automatically? Or did you shoot an email to Dean Clifford?

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”