For WUSTL Applicants

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
romothesavior

Re: For WUSTL Applicants

Postby romothesavior » Wed Jul 14, 2010 1:25 pm

deebs wrote:
quadsixm wrote:
deebs wrote:In off waitlist late this afternoon. Sent in a LOCI for a new LSAT score from June of 165 (up from 162) and 3.84. No news of scholly - think there's any chance of one coming?

Damn, nice retake. I've got to think you've got a shot at USC, UCLA, UT, and some of the T14 with those numbers... You're a reverse-splitter at most.

Thanks quad, and romo and integrity too.

After looking back through the thread it appears that most offers off the WL had scholarship offers in the acceptance e-mail. I feel like I could be more competitive next cycle with my new score and am still sitting on some other WL's, but I really like WashU and want Midwest (IL resident). Would it be unwise to send a reply e-mail to Mary Ann asking about scholarships and trying to see if there is any possibility for one since I got in off WL?

It appears I'm slightly above 75th GPA and below LSAT median so I'm not sure how well it would go, but planning on giving it a shot anyways. Unsure about sticker vs next cycle, but if I can get a small scholly, I would definitely go to WashU this year. Was just wondering your all's opinions first.

Can't hurt to ask. Where are you from in IL?

deebs

Postby deebs » Wed Jul 14, 2010 2:28 pm

Woot! Got exactly what you said splitters have been getting. Looks like I have to get ready for a move to St.L

I'm from Geneva, it's a little further west than Naperville area

MURPH

Postby MURPH » Wed Jul 14, 2010 2:55 pm

Spot opened up today...I'l be going elsewhere. I hope one of you gets my spot.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Wed Jul 14, 2010 3:59 pm

deebs wrote:Woot! Got exactly what you said splitters have been getting. Looks like I have to get ready for a move to St.L

Yep, I know where it is.

jman77

Postby jman77 » Wed Jul 14, 2010 5:47 pm

MURPH wrote:Spot opened up today...I'l be going elsewhere. I hope one of you gets my spot.

Are you going to UCLA? I saw you ask some questions about housing in the LA area awhile back.

I am still undecided, but leaning towards foregoing WUSTL in favor UCLA as well. UCLA gave me until Friday to decide, and I think I am going to hold off my decision until then. This is such a tough call.

Edit: What do you guys think about either of these 2 scenarios?

1) Use UCLA acceptance to ask WUSTL for more money.
2) Use WUSTL money to ask UCLA for money.

Any chance either works out favorably?

beachbum

Postby beachbum » Wed Jul 14, 2010 5:58 pm

jman77 wrote:
MURPH wrote:Spot opened up today...I'l be going elsewhere. I hope one of you gets my spot.

Are you going to UCLA? I saw you ask some questions about housing in the LA area awhile back.

I am still undecided, but leaning towards foregoing WUSTL in favor UCLA as well. UCLA gave me until Friday to decide, and I think I am going to hold off my decision until then. This is such a tough call.

I would imagine option 1 works a lot better than option 2. WUSTL is aggressively gaming the rankings, and they're doing it (in part) by throwing money at high-quality (read: UCLA/UT/Vandy and above) applicants. On the other hand, I don't believe UCLA sees WUSTL as a peer school (yet), though this would still be worth a shot if your heart is set on UCLA.

Also, congratulations to everyone who got in off the waitlist. I might just be joining you all next year.

fl0w

Postby fl0w » Wed Jul 14, 2010 6:07 pm

jman77 wrote:

No. WUSTL has been pretty good with offering money, but not always as good about offering MORE money. The message for a lot of people is "we don't have any money left". Any increase would be fairly marginal and you'd still have a pretty tough choice. How much (more) would it take for you to drop UCLA and come to WUSTL

jman77 wrote:2) Use WUSTL money to ask UCLA for money.

No. As someone already said UCLA doesn't see WUSTL as a peer (yet).

jman77

Postby jman77 » Wed Jul 14, 2010 6:10 pm

beachbum wrote:
jman77 wrote:

I would imagine option 1 works a lot better than option 2. WUSTL is aggressively gaming the rankings, and they're doing it (in part) by throwing money at high-quality (read: UCLA/UT/Vandy and above) applicants. On the other hand, I don't believe UCLA sees WUSTL as a peer school (yet), though this would still be worth a shot if your heart is set on UCLA.

Also, congratulations to everyone who got in off the waitlist. I might just be joining you all next year.

My heart is set on UCLA, not so much due to the rankings difference as to the fact that I am from SoCal and have roots here. However, going to UCLA entails incremental costs of at least $150K over going to WUSTL. I have close to a full ride to WUSTL, hence I'm not sure if they would be willing to give me more.

I guess there's only one way to find out.

fl0w

Postby fl0w » Wed Jul 14, 2010 6:21 pm

jman77 wrote:My heart is set on UCLA, not so much due to the rankings difference as to the fact that I am from SoCal and have roots here. However, going to UCLA entails incremental costs of at least $150K over going to WUSTL. I have close to a full ride to WUSTL, hence I'm not sure if they would be willing to give me more.

I guess there's only one way to find out.

it won't be anywhere near what wustl is offering you.
if it were me, i'd take the money and run. Everyone says, and there is some merit in it, that it is so so so so so so hard to get to CA if you go to WUSTL. Yes it's harder, but if you really dedicate yourself to it, you can make it work. Even if you end up in CA a couple years into your career.

I'd personally take that route, save the 150k (which amounts to about an extra grand in loan payments per month I think?) and then pursue SoCal with.

But if your heart says UCLA, what can you do. Your heart isn't the one stuck with the student loans though :lol:

quadsixm

Postby quadsixm » Wed Jul 14, 2010 6:25 pm

jman77 wrote:

You should probably give both a shot. 1) is more likely because UCLA doesn't consider WUSTL a peer school, but UCLA has been surprisingly generous this cycle - matching the money of many peer/slightly lower schools. UCLA obviously won't be willing to match the WUSTL offer, but you might be able to get something more out of them.

deebs

Postby deebs » Thu Jul 15, 2010 1:16 am

romothesavior wrote:
deebs wrote:Woot! Got exactly what you said splitters have been getting. Looks like I have to get ready for a move to St.L

Yep, I know where it is.

Are you from Illinois, I'm guessing?

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Thu Jul 15, 2010 1:20 am

deebs wrote:
romothesavior wrote:

Yep, I know where it is.

Bloomington-Normal.

deebs

Postby deebs » Thu Jul 15, 2010 1:23 am

romothesavior wrote:
deebs wrote:
romothesavior wrote:

Yep, I know where it is.

Bloomington-Normal.

My gf is from Lexington so I'm down that way pretty often

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Thu Jul 15, 2010 1:24 am

deebs wrote:My gf is from Lexington so I'm down that way pretty often

Sweet deal... about 10 minutes from my house, if that.

I had assumed you were a girl with your handle. You need to tar up!

deebs

Postby deebs » Thu Jul 15, 2010 2:09 am

romothesavior wrote:

Haha, crazy that you live so close. Deebs is a nickname that stems from my last name and I picked the best (worst?) tar I could find. It does describe my mood about getting in though.

MURPH

Postby MURPH » Thu Jul 15, 2010 7:34 am

UCLA didn't quite match the scholarship I got from WUSTL but they did offer some more $. I also have a GI Bill and Yellow ribbon scholarship which is more generous in California. Both schools were pissed that I was malingering with multiple deposits. WUSTL threatened to take my scholarship away, UCLA just pouted a bit. But I made my choice over the weekend and just sat down at the computer yesterday to let them know.
jman77 wrote:

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Thu Jul 15, 2010 8:14 am

deebs wrote:
romothesavior wrote:

Haha, crazy that you live so close. Deebs is a nickname that stems from my last name and I picked the best (worst?) tar I could find. It does describe my mood about getting in though.

Haha +1. Welcome aboard, come on over to WUSTL Class of 2013 thread and join in.

MURPH wrote:UCLA didn't quite match the scholarship I got from WUSTL but they did offer some more $. I also have a GI Bill and Yellow ribbon scholarship which is more generous in California. Both schools were pissed that I was malingering with multiple deposits. WUSTL threatened to take my scholarship away, UCLA just pouted a bit. But I made my choice over the weekend and just sat down at the computer yesterday to let them know.

Well how long were you sitting on both deposits? Have you been accepted to both schools for a long time?

MURPH

Postby MURPH » Thu Jul 15, 2010 11:17 am

I submitted multiple deposits and sat on them for about 2 weeks. I let both schools know and at first they didn't seem to care. Both sent me a canned reply email "Thank you blah blah the information has benn added to your file blah blah..."
Then they got notified by LSAC about a week later. Suddenly they both contacted me saying you can't do that, it is horrible, we are going to take your scholarship back etc. Not exactly what I expected, considering the way they treat waitlistees but that is fine. The decision has been made.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Thu Jul 15, 2010 12:29 pm

MURPH wrote:I submitted multiple deposits and sat on them for about 2 weeks. I let both schools know and at first they didn't seem to care. Both sent me a canned reply email "Thank you blah blah the information has benn added to your file blah blah..."
Then they got notified by LSAC about a week later. Suddenly they both contacted me saying you can't do that, it is horrible, we are going to take your scholarship back etc. Not exactly what I expected, considering the way they treat waitlistees but that is fine. The decision has been made.

My response would have been something like this:

"You take months reviewing applications that were submitted at the beginning of the cycle, then waitlist us and string us along for a few more months, so I'm not at all sorry for taking two weeks to decide on the biggest financial and career-influencing decision of my life to this point. I withdraw. Have a nice day."

Regionality

Postby Regionality » Thu Jul 15, 2010 1:20 pm

I feel so helpless w/ WUSTL. I've sent them 3 LOCI's, each time receiving the canned response of "Thanks, added to your file". I called in once to let them know, and whoever the hell I got on the phone said "Thanks, I'll make a note by your file"....

I want to go to WUSTL the most out of any school that didn't reject me. I'd go the 1st day of orientation if they called me...but I just don't get the sense that there's anything I can do to let them know in a way that they'd care about.

I just want to know if there's any chance for me. Do they remove ppl from the waitlist as the cycle progresses?

I'm 163/3.64...low numbers for them especially if they are still going for a 3.7 GPA Median instead of 3.6...but I would say that my numbers have overperformed this cycle (outright admit to Hastings, W&L, Iowa and a scholarship from WI would appear to indicate strongish softs)

What do people think? Hopeless for WUSTL or a shot this late in the cycle?

najumobi

Postby najumobi » Thu Jul 15, 2010 1:33 pm

Regionality wrote:I feel so helpless w/ WUSTL. I've sent them 3 LOCI's, each time receiving the canned response of "Thanks, added to your file". I called in once to let them know, and whoever the hell I got on the phone said "Thanks, I'll make a note by your file"....

I want to go to WUSTL the most out of any school that didn't reject me. I'd go the 1st day of orientation if they called me...but I just don't get the sense that there's anything I can do to let them know in a way that they'd care about.

I just want to know if there's any chance for me. Do they remove ppl from the waitlist as the cycle progresses?

I'm 163/3.64...low numbers for them especially if they are still going for a 3.7 GPA Median instead of 3.6...but I would say that my numbers have overperformed this cycle (outright admit to Hastings, W&L, Iowa and a scholarship from WI would appear to indicate strongish softs)

you are actually above the gpa median of hastings and W&L and above both gpa and lsat medians for iowa and wisconsin so your acceptances to these schools are expected. however you shouldn't lose hope. you would be willing to come to wustl even on the 1st day and i doubt many other people would be willing to do so. continue to let wustl know you would love to attend.

Regionality

Postby Regionality » Thu Jul 15, 2010 1:38 pm

najumobi wrote:
Regionality wrote:I feel so helpless w/ WUSTL. I've sent them 3 LOCI's, each time receiving the canned response of "Thanks, added to your file". I called in once to let them know, and whoever the hell I got on the phone said "Thanks, I'll make a note by your file"....

you are actually above the gpa median of hastings and W&L and above both gpa and lsat medians for iowa and wisconsin so your acceptances to these schools are expected. however you shouldn't lose hope. you would be willing to come to wustl even on the 1st day and i doubt many other people would be willing to do so. continue to let wustl know you would love to attend.

Thanks for the positive vibes. Are we sure I'm above all those medians for this year, though? But either way you are correct in that those accepts weren't mysterious...

fl0w

Postby fl0w » Thu Jul 15, 2010 1:49 pm

Regionality wrote:
najumobi wrote:

Thanks for the positive vibes. Are we sure I'm above all those medians for this year, though? But either way you are correct in that those accepts weren't mysterious...

You should make sure to schedule an in-person trip. During your trip you should try to talk to as many people that could influence the decision as possible. It makes a big difference.

Regionality

Postby Regionality » Thu Jul 15, 2010 1:55 pm

fl0w wrote:
Regionality wrote:
najumobi wrote:

You should make sure to schedule an in-person trip. During your trip you should try to talk to as many people that could influence the decision as possible. It makes a big difference.

That's a good idea...

It would have to be during my cross country trip to WI...could stop in St Louis (kinda outa the way, but not terribly).

Who should I try to set up meetings with? My meetings would go like this:

"Hi, thanks for meeting with me. I love you school and would attend if accepted. In fact, if you tell me I'm in now, I won't drive to Wisconsin but instead start frantically looking for an apartment in St. Louis. What do you say!?! Eh!?!"

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Thu Jul 15, 2010 1:59 pm

Regionality wrote:
That's a good idea...

It would have to be during my cross country trip to WI...could stop in St Louis (kinda outa the way, but not terribly).

Who should I try to set up meetings with? My meetings would go like this:

"Hi, thanks for meeting with me. I love you school and would attend if accepted. In fact, if you tell me I'm in now, I won't drive to Wisconsin but instead start frantically looking for an apartment in St. Louis. What do you say!?! Eh!?!"

Honestly, what would you have to lose at that point in the cycle? If they say no, you just pack up and go to WI. Maybe they'll say, "You've got the next open seat." I have heard some stories of people doing things like this and it working out, and other times it probably doesn't. But if you are going to be in the Midwest, you might as well try!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”