For WUSTL Applicants

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
romothesavior

Re: For WUSTL Applicants

Postby romothesavior » Mon Jun 07, 2010 1:23 pm

fwilliamgreen wrote:31,500 from W&L- Ideally DC/NYC Big Law

So the WUSTL scholly is about the same as W&L? I don't know a ton about W&L, but I think this is almost a toss up. Obviously W&L has a "homecourt" advantage, but I don't know how much. WUSTL has been working very hard at placing in the DC market, with a clinic program out there and a partnership with the Brookings Institute.

Also keep in mind that they are very different cities and schools. What type of atmosphere are you looking for? It sounds like W&L has a real lack of bars and things to do. WUSTL is also a much bigger school, so that is something to consider as well.

This is a tough call. I don't know enough about W&L to give you advice either way. I do think WUSTL gives you a much better shot at a job, but W&L likely places better on the east coast.

quadsixm

Postby quadsixm » Mon Jun 07, 2010 4:33 pm

Last edited by quadsixm on Thu Jul 22, 2010 6:18 am, edited 2 times in total.

fwilliamgreen

Postby fwilliamgreen » Mon Jun 07, 2010 6:45 pm

quadsixm wrote:I'm currently deposited at W&L with $. I'm also waiting out WUSTL. W&L does have a pretty big advantage on the east coast, but for me, I have no geographic preference, and definitely have no aversion to the midwest, so WUSTL is the better option for me. Plus, I've lived in big cities my whole life, and although St. Louis is by no means a big city, it is certainly bigger than Lexington.

Yea, It's a tough choice, but I think that W&L is strongest on the Eastern Seaboard from DC South, but not necessarily in New York. W&L is very well known to East Coast Liberal Arts graduates like myself but WUSTL has far greater name recognition nationally. But, then again, many would respond with "who cares" and likely have a point.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Mon Jun 07, 2010 6:49 pm

fwilliamgreen wrote:
quadsixm wrote:I'm currently deposited at W&L with $. I'm also waiting out WUSTL. W&L does have a pretty big advantage on the east coast, but for me, I have no geographic preference, and definitely have no aversion to the midwest, so WUSTL is the better option for me. Plus, I've lived in big cities my whole life, and although St. Louis is by no means a big city, it is certainly bigger than Lexington.

Yea, It's a tough choice, but I think that W&L is strongest on the Eastern Seaboard from DC South, but not necessarily in New York. W&L is very well known to East Coast Liberal Arts graduates like myself but WUSTL has far greater name recognition nationally. But, then again, many would respond with "who cares" and likely have a point.

Have you visited both?

robin600

Postby robin600 » Mon Jun 07, 2010 7:05 pm

fwilliamgreen wrote:Probably, I have deposited in full at Washington and Lee as well. Going to think about it for a week or two. I want to end up on the East Coast (withdrew with 45k from illinois) - anyone with thoughts?

If you want DC or NYC big law, WUSTL is going to give you the advantage in NYC over Washington and Lee, but in DC Washington and Lee is probably equal to WUSTL (maybe slightly better in some circumstances, maybe). I vote WUSTL if you aren't 100% sold on DC. PS- Are you from the DC area, or did you do undergrad down there? If so you may already have the connections you need for DC employment. Just a thought.

PS- So I got an unsolicited scholly raise today. Just praying it's not a mistake! This makes me 99% certain I'm going to WUSTL next year and I'm so excited!!!!!

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Mon Jun 07, 2010 7:16 pm

robin600 wrote:
fwilliamgreen wrote:Probably, I have deposited in full at Washington and Lee as well. Going to think about it for a week or two. I want to end up on the East Coast (withdrew with 45k from illinois) - anyone with thoughts?

If you want DC or NYC big law, WUSTL is going to give you the advantage in NYC over Washington and Lee, but in DC Washington and Lee is probably equal to WUSTL (maybe slightly better in some circumstances, maybe). I vote WUSTL if you aren't 100% sold on DC. PS- Are you from the DC area, or did you do undergrad down there? If so you may already have the connections you need for DC employment. Just a thought.

PS- So I got an unsolicited scholly raise today. Just praying it's not a mistake! This makes me 99% certain I'm going to WUSTL next year and I'm so excited!!!!!

Is this your second scholarship raise?

folgers

Postby folgers » Mon Jun 07, 2010 7:21 pm

In off the hold list today with 10k/year! I was stunned. I got the email while I was writing my LOCI. I'm putting down the deposit and will definitely be attending. (169/2.9)

fwilliamgreen

Postby fwilliamgreen » Mon Jun 07, 2010 7:28 pm

robin600 wrote:

I am from New England but had a number of Congressional internships in DC and have some family down there with some decent connections, but not lawyers themselves.

I have visited both, and like both for very different reasons. I was sure I wanted to be in a city (and still largely feel that way) but Lexington was immeasurably better than expected. I know this is WUSTL thread but anyone who was/is interested in W&L but was scared away by the location should have a look. That being said, I am still thinking WUSTL is a better fit for me.

Congratulations on the scholarship increase - any idea why? I would love an increase.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Mon Jun 07, 2010 7:30 pm

folgers wrote:In off the hold list today with 10k/year! I was stunned. I got the email while I was writing my LOCI. I'm putting down the deposit and will definitely be attending. (169/2.9)

Wow that's really awesome! Good timing, right? Congrats.

For all you new WUSTLers, come on over to the WUSTL Class of 2013 thread.

robin600

Postby robin600 » Mon Jun 07, 2010 7:33 pm

romothesavior wrote:
robin600 wrote:

Is this your second scholarship raise?

Yeah. I don't know what to think, I'm so grateful right now. I just totally got a random email from admissions saying hey we're increasing your scholarship to $(XXXXX) per year so here's a new financial aid form to fill out. I'm completely shocked!

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Mon Jun 07, 2010 7:41 pm

I definitely don't think WUSTL is over-deposited or over-budget anymore, like everyone had thought. They have been giving out more waitlist acceptances than any school I've seen and they are giving out unsolicited scholarship increases. Definitely a major shift from what everyone thought a month ago.

robin600

Postby robin600 » Mon Jun 07, 2010 7:46 pm

romothesavior wrote:I definitely don't think WUSTL is over-deposited or over-budget anymore, like everyone had thought. They have been giving out more waitlist acceptances than any school I've seen and they are giving out unsolicited scholarship increases. Definitely a major shift from what everyone thought a month ago.

Send admissions another email! It never hurts to try! My scholarship wasn't very large to begin with though, so that may have something to do with it, IDK.

quadsixm

Postby quadsixm » Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:03 pm

fwilliamgreen wrote:I am from New England but had a number of Congressional internships in DC and have some family down there with some decent connections, but not lawyers themselves.

I have visited both, and like both for very different reasons. I was sure I wanted to be in a city (and still largely feel that way) but Lexington was immeasurably better than expected. I know this is WUSTL thread but anyone who was/is interested in W&L but was scared away by the location should have a look. That being said, I am still thinking WUSTL is a better fit for me.

Congratulations on the scholarship increase - any idea why? I would love an increase.

I'm in the same boat. I was concerned about W&L's location being a problem... but it wasn't at all! I was extremely pleased with my visit, and wouldn't be disappointed at all to be in Lexington in the fall. I did visit WUSTL, but that was a long time ago (back when I was looking at undergrad schools, which I can barely remember :P ) I agree though, I feel that WUSTL is a batter fit for me as well, so I am still "hold"ing out!

najumobi

Postby najumobi » Tue Jun 08, 2010 12:40 am

folgers wrote:In off the hold list today with 10k/year! I was stunned. I got the email while I was writing my LOCI. I'm putting down the deposit and will definitely be attending. (169/2.9)
ha...nice. congrats.
it alooks like they have mostly taken off their wait/hold lists lsaters with scores over their median of 167.

Regionality

Postby Regionality » Tue Jun 08, 2010 5:11 pm

It seems WUSTL is accepting super-splitters now to save their LSAT medians...are they sacrificing their GPA numbers in order to do this?

They do seem to be handing out a lot of money to waitlist-accepts. When do people think it would be reasonable to expect them to stop accepting people off the waitlist (apart from individual drop outs...I'm talking the early June batch)

quadsixm

Postby quadsixm » Tue Jun 08, 2010 5:13 pm

Regionality wrote:It seems WUSTL is accepting super-splitters now to save their LSAT medians...are they sacrificing their GPA numbers in order to do this?

They do seem to be handing out a lot of money to waitlist-accepts. When do people think it would be reasonable to expect them to stop accepting people off the waitlist (apart from individual drop outs...I'm talking the early June batch)

I asked them, and they told me that they're going on a seat-by-seat basis at this point, generally around 1-2 will be pulled from WL/hold at a time... Argh c'mon WUSTL, I'm a splitter... I want in!!

Regionality

Postby Regionality » Tue Jun 08, 2010 5:17 pm

quadsixm wrote:
Regionality wrote:It seems WUSTL is accepting super-splitters now to save their LSAT medians...are they sacrificing their GPA numbers in order to do this?

I asked them, and they told me that they're going on a seat-by-seat basis at this point, generally around 1-2 will be pulled from WL/hold at a time... Argh c'mon WUSTL, I'm a splitter... I want in!!

I'm the ultimate opposite of a splitter...I hope they need some love on both their numbers. Where you deposited right now?

quadsixm

Postby quadsixm » Tue Jun 08, 2010 5:27 pm

Regionality wrote:
quadsixm wrote:

I'm the ultimate opposite of a splitter...I hope they need some love on both their numbers. Where you deposited right now?

Currently deposited at W&L, but waiting out GW, WUSTL, Minnesota, & Pepperdine (Preferring the first two).

Regionality

Postby Regionality » Tue Jun 08, 2010 5:32 pm

quadsixm wrote:
Regionality wrote:
quadsixm wrote:

Currently deposited at W&L, but waiting out GW, WUSTL, Minnesota, & Pepperdine (Preferring the first two).

You'd walk away from 1500 bucks in deposits? (they have an absurdly large deposit...I paid the first one and peaced out for the second...I want my money back!) Interesting that you're considering pepperdine in the same sentence as the others, only bc its so regional...

finalaspects

Postby finalaspects » Tue Jun 08, 2010 5:52 pm

Regionality wrote:
quadsixm wrote:

You'd walk away from 1500 bucks in deposits? (they have an absurdly large deposit...I paid the first one and peaced out for the second...I want my money back!) Interesting that you're considering pepperdine in the same sentence as the others, only bc its so regional...

aren't they all regional? maybe with the exception of WUSTL since its top20 solid. (ranked 19 for 5 years in a row)

Regionality

Postby Regionality » Tue Jun 08, 2010 5:54 pm

finalaspects wrote:
Regionality wrote:
quadsixm wrote:

aren't they all regional? maybe with the exception of WUSTL since its top20 solid. (ranked 19 for 5 years in a row)

Pepperdine is way more regional, IMO. GW, W&L, WUSTL and Minnesota all have solid placement outside their state/region. (they aren't thoroughly national, either, but they certainly have wider nets than Pepperdine. You don't think?)

finalaspects

Postby finalaspects » Tue Jun 08, 2010 5:57 pm

Regionality wrote:
finalaspects wrote:
Regionality wrote:
quadsixm wrote:

Pepperdine is way more regional, IMO. GW, W&L, WUSTL and Minnesota all have solid placement outside their state/region. (they aren't thoroughly national, either, but they certainly have wider nets than Pepperdine. You don't think?)

yes i definitely agree with that. pepperdine is a tier 2 school so not sure why its in that list. and you're right in the sense that they aren't really regional, but not national either. because all of them have a hard time getting placed in california.

quadsixm

Postby quadsixm » Tue Jun 08, 2010 7:20 pm

Regionality wrote:You'd walk away from 1500 bucks in deposits? (they have an absurdly large deposit...I paid the first one and peaced out for the second...I want my money back!) Interesting that you're considering pepperdine in the same sentence as the others, only bc its so regional...

Yeah, I'm mentally prepared to lose those deposits. I spent a few years working for a solid salary in the engineering industry, so I'm lucky to have saved up a good amount of cash for law school.

I'm originally from a land far, far away (which I can't disclose without blowing my cover), so I don't necessarily have any geographic preference - I won't have family nearby regardless of where I go. I did spend a significant number of years in Southern California, and loved it - and I obviously don't have the GPA for UCLA, Boalt, or SC, or any of the other UCs, for that matter - so that's why Pepperdine is on that list.

taw856

Postby taw856 » Tue Jun 08, 2010 7:24 pm

In today via e-mail. More thinkin' to do.

darklighter13

Postby darklighter13 » Tue Jun 08, 2010 7:25 pm

taw856 wrote:In today via e-mail. More thinkin' to do.

Congrats! Those e-mails, while terribly thought-inducing, are always exciting. Where else are you looking?

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”