For WUSTL Applicants

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
darklighter13
Posts: 92
Joined: Fri Dec 18, 2009 2:01 am

Re: For WUSTL Applicants

Postby darklighter13 » Thu Jun 03, 2010 7:20 pm

quadsixm wrote:Nice, another splitter. Any info about scholarship money in your email?


No, but when I spoke to Mary Ann Clifford in April, she indicated that the likelihood of getting a scholarship at that point was almost nil.

Integrity wrote:Do they notify by e-mail for holds and wait lists?


I got an e-mail.

User avatar
Regionality
Posts: 789
Joined: Thu Feb 25, 2010 5:13 am

Re: For WUSTL Applicants

Postby Regionality » Thu Jun 03, 2010 7:38 pm

darklighter13 wrote:Just went hold->accept. I visited the school back in April after being placed on hold; perhaps that helped me.


Congrats! You considering going?

darklighter13
Posts: 92
Joined: Fri Dec 18, 2009 2:01 am

Re: For WUSTL Applicants

Postby darklighter13 » Thu Jun 03, 2010 7:51 pm

Regionality wrote:Congrats! You considering going?


Heck yeah I am.

The one problem is this: over the past several weeks, I've really come to like the idea of going to Wisconsin. Sure, it's not ranked as high and the costs would be roughly the same, but I have this nagging sense that I would be happier in Madison -- I've loved being at a Big Ten university, and I really, really liked Madison when I visited.

I wish I could just get a scholarship to make my decision easier. =(

User avatar
quadsixm
Posts: 390
Joined: Fri Oct 16, 2009 9:52 pm

Re: For WUSTL Applicants

Postby quadsixm » Thu Jun 03, 2010 8:02 pm

darklighter13 wrote:
Regionality wrote:Congrats! You considering going?


Heck yeah I am.

The one problem is this: over the past several weeks, I've really come to like the idea of going to Wisconsin. Sure, it's not ranked as high and the costs would be roughly the same, but I have this nagging sense that I would be happier in Madison -- I've loved being at a Big Ten university, and I really, really liked Madison when I visited.

I wish I could just get a scholarship to make my decision easier. =(


I'm assuming you're not a resident of Wisconsin or Minnesota? If that's the case, then there's a difference of about $5k/year between WUSTL and Wisconsin. If you are a resident of either of those states, the tuition gap is huge. I think it is tougher than most public schools to get residency in Wisconsin though; you have to demonstrate a desire to stay in-state after graduation.

User avatar
Regionality
Posts: 789
Joined: Thu Feb 25, 2010 5:13 am

Re: For WUSTL Applicants

Postby Regionality » Thu Jun 03, 2010 8:42 pm

darklighter13 wrote:
Regionality wrote:Congrats! You considering going?


Heck yeah I am.

The one problem is this: over the past several weeks, I've really come to like the idea of going to Wisconsin. Sure, it's not ranked as high and the costs would be roughly the same, but I have this nagging sense that I would be happier in Madison -- I've loved being at a Big Ten university, and I really, really liked Madison when I visited.

I wish I could just get a scholarship to make my decision easier. =(


GAH! I'll trade you my scholly at Wisconsin for admission to WUSTL...

darklighter13
Posts: 92
Joined: Fri Dec 18, 2009 2:01 am

Re: For WUSTL Applicants

Postby darklighter13 » Thu Jun 03, 2010 8:43 pm

quadsixm wrote:I'm assuming you're not a resident of Wisconsin or Minnesota? If that's the case, then there's a difference of about $5k/year between WUSTL and Wisconsin. If you are a resident of either of those states, the tuition gap is huge. I think it is tougher than most public schools to get residency in Wisconsin though; you have to demonstrate a desire to stay in-state after graduation.


Nope, I'm an Illinois resident. In-state tuition doesn't really exist for us. (Not that it matters -- I'm on the UIUC waitlist of death right now.) The weird thing is that I fit the Wisconsin residency definition of a "migrant worker" except for the nature of work -- running camping programs versus agricultural work. I think even if they threw just a little money my way that I'd go there.

Regionality wrote:GAH! I'll trade you my scholly at Wisconsin for admission to WUSTL...


You think we could make that work? :mrgreen:

User avatar
Regionality
Posts: 789
Joined: Thu Feb 25, 2010 5:13 am

Re: For WUSTL Applicants

Postby Regionality » Thu Jun 03, 2010 8:46 pm

darklighter13 wrote:
quadsixm wrote:I'm assuming you're not a resident of Wisconsin or Minnesota? If that's the case, then there's a difference of about $5k/year between WUSTL and Wisconsin. If you are a resident of either of those states, the tuition gap is huge. I think it is tougher than most public schools to get residency in Wisconsin though; you have to demonstrate a desire to stay in-state after graduation.


Nope, I'm an Illinois resident. In-state tuition doesn't really exist for us. (Not that it matters -- I'm on the UIUC waitlist of death right now.) The weird thing is that I fit the Wisconsin residency definition of a "migrant worker" except for the nature of work -- running camping programs versus agricultural work. I think even if they threw just a little money my way that I'd go there.

Regionality wrote:GAH! I'll trade you my scholly at Wisconsin for admission to WUSTL...


You think we could make that work? :mrgreen:


Have you confirmed that you do not qualify for residency? I just missed qualifying for Illinois residency by one goddamn drivers license (I had registered to vote, earned income, lived w/o going to school, paid taxes...I just never got a drivers license which apparently is a deal breaker)...I as well am on Illinois' waitlist...

Man I would love to trade positions w/ you!! What are your numbers?

EDIT: Call Mike Hall tomorrow and see if he can give you money...he very well might be able to (I called him before the May 1 commitment date and he ended up giving me the OOS "Law in Action" scholly...it was pretty awesome.

darklighter13
Posts: 92
Joined: Fri Dec 18, 2009 2:01 am

Re: For WUSTL Applicants

Postby darklighter13 » Thu Jun 03, 2010 8:54 pm

Regionality wrote:Have you confirmed that you do not qualify for residency? I just missed qualifying for Illinois residency by one goddamn drivers license (I had registered to vote, earned income, lived w/o going to school, paid taxes...I just never got a drivers license which apparently is a deal breaker)...I as well am on Illinois' waitlist...

Man I would love to trade positions w/ you!! What are your numbers?


I've always had my permanent address in Chicago, my ID is from Illinois, and paid Illinois tax (working for the YMCA of Chicago in Wisconsin). I'm pretty sure. I have a summer job in Wisconsin that I accepted before I did my law school apps, but I doubt I can get residency based on that. There's an off chance that my folks will move to Minnesota in the next year, which might mean reduced tuition, but it's not terribly likely.

When I applied, I was 2.46/173, with a 3.27 over three terms at Illinois and a 3.9 for the two terms before that at a community college.

User avatar
Regionality
Posts: 789
Joined: Thu Feb 25, 2010 5:13 am

Re: For WUSTL Applicants

Postby Regionality » Thu Jun 03, 2010 8:56 pm

darklighter13 wrote:
Regionality wrote:Have you confirmed that you do not qualify for residency? I just missed qualifying for Illinois residency by one goddamn drivers license (I had registered to vote, earned income, lived w/o going to school, paid taxes...I just never got a drivers license which apparently is a deal breaker)...I as well am on Illinois' waitlist...

Man I would love to trade positions w/ you!! What are your numbers?


I've always had my permanent address in Chicago, my ID is from Illinois, and paid Illinois tax (working for the YMCA of Chicago in Wisconsin). I'm pretty sure. I have a summer job in Wisconsin that I accepted before I did my law school apps, but I doubt I can get residency based on that. There's an off chance that my folks will move to Minnesota in the next year, which might mean reduced tuition, but it's not terribly likely.

When I applied, I was 2.46/173, with a 3.27 over three terms at Illinois and a 3.9 for the two terms before that at a community college.


I think you have two people to call tomorrow: Mike Hall to ask for a scholly and fin. aide to see about residency qualifications...can't hurt to ask on both fronts....

PS that's quite the GPA roller-coaster!

darklighter13
Posts: 92
Joined: Fri Dec 18, 2009 2:01 am

Re: For WUSTL Applicants

Postby darklighter13 » Thu Jun 03, 2010 9:05 pm

Regionality wrote:I think you have two people to call tomorrow: Mike Hall to ask for a scholly and fin. aide to see about residency qualifications...can't hurt to ask on both fronts....


Thanks for that advice. I think I will. I submitted a scholarship application in late April, after visiting Madison, but never heard back.

Regionality wrote:PS that's quite the GPA roller-coaster!


Yup. It was a hell of a ride. The weird thing is that I had way more fun during semesters where I was getting better grades.

User avatar
robin600
Posts: 1583
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2008 3:07 pm

Re: For WUSTL Applicants

Postby robin600 » Thu Jun 03, 2010 11:47 pm

darklighter13 wrote:
quadsixm wrote:Nice, another splitter. Any info about scholarship money in your email?


No, but when I spoke to Mary Ann Clifford in April, she indicated that the likelihood of getting a scholarship at that point was almost nil.


Lol all of us negotiating is running the well dry guys! Slow it down everyone, no need to be greedy (me included) :wink: !

I hope you get some money, send a very nice/professional but on your knees begging email. You never know!
darklighter13 wrote:
Regionality wrote:Congrats! You considering going?


Heck yeah I am.

The one problem is this: over the past several weeks, I've really come to like the idea of going to Wisconsin. Sure, it's not ranked as high and the costs would be roughly the same, but I have this nagging sense that I would be happier in Madison -- I've loved being at a Big Ten university, and I really, really liked Madison when I visited.

I wish I could just get a scholarship to make my decision easier. =(


I really loved my time at a big ten (MSU) for undergrad, but beware that the awesomeness of game days and the like will wear on you after a year or two, when all you want to do is go to the library but you can't because people are rioting/tailgating/just being loud at the stadium-center. Other than that, I had no complaints about going to a big ten school.

User avatar
romothesavior
Posts: 14772
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:29 pm

Re: For WUSTL Applicants

Postby romothesavior » Thu Jun 03, 2010 11:56 pm

darklighter13 wrote:
Regionality wrote:Have you confirmed that you do not qualify for residency? I just missed qualifying for Illinois residency by one goddamn drivers license (I had registered to vote, earned income, lived w/o going to school, paid taxes...I just never got a drivers license which apparently is a deal breaker)...I as well am on Illinois' waitlist...

Man I would love to trade positions w/ you!! What are your numbers?


I've always had my permanent address in Chicago, my ID is from Illinois, and paid Illinois tax (working for the YMCA of Chicago in Wisconsin). I'm pretty sure. I have a summer job in Wisconsin that I accepted before I did my law school apps, but I doubt I can get residency based on that. There's an off chance that my folks will move to Minnesota in the next year, which might mean reduced tuition, but it's not terribly likely.

When I applied, I was 2.46/173, with a 3.27 over three terms at Illinois and a 3.9 for the two terms before that at a community college.


I would be quite surprised if you do not get a scholarship of some sort.

User avatar
Island Girl
Posts: 175
Joined: Fri Oct 23, 2009 9:09 pm

Re: For WUSTL Applicants

Postby Island Girl » Fri Jun 04, 2010 2:11 am

This week has been a gift. I withdrew from WUSTL to accept Boalt's offer extended today. I hope my spot goes to one of you lovely TLS folks!

User avatar
Regionality
Posts: 789
Joined: Thu Feb 25, 2010 5:13 am

Re: For WUSTL Applicants

Postby Regionality » Fri Jun 04, 2010 2:15 am

Island Girl wrote:This week has been a gift. I withdrew from WUSTL to accept Boalt's offer extended today. I hope my spot goes to one of you lovely TLS folks!


Holy crap! congrats!

User avatar
NU_Jet55
Posts: 977
Joined: Fri Dec 11, 2009 6:54 pm

Re: For WUSTL Applicants

Postby NU_Jet55 » Fri Jun 04, 2010 2:20 am

Island Girl wrote:This week has been a gift. I withdrew from WUSTL to accept Boalt's offer extended today. I hope my spot goes to one of you lovely TLS folks!

Wow.

User avatar
quadsixm
Posts: 390
Joined: Fri Oct 16, 2009 9:52 pm

Re: For WUSTL Applicants

Postby quadsixm » Fri Jun 04, 2010 2:43 am

Island Girl wrote:This week has been a gift. I withdrew from WUSTL to accept Boalt's offer extended today. I hope my spot goes to one of you lovely TLS folks!


Holy crap, that is amazing. Congratulations!

Slimpee
Posts: 777
Joined: Wed Apr 22, 2009 6:18 pm

Re: For WUSTL Applicants

Postby Slimpee » Fri Jun 04, 2010 8:55 am

Island Girl wrote:This week has been a gift. I withdrew from WUSTL to accept Boalt's offer extended today. I hope my spot goes to one of you lovely TLS folks!


Fantastic!

Good luck out west!

User avatar
najumobi
Posts: 1111
Joined: Thu Apr 24, 2008 12:36 pm

Re: For WUSTL Applicants

Postby najumobi » Fri Jun 04, 2010 9:01 am

Island Girl wrote:This week has been a gift. I withdrew from WUSTL to accept Boalt's offer extended today. I hope my spot goes to one of you lovely TLS folks!

wow...this is really cool...congrats.

romo,
looks like there is some T10 movement. are you still on the michigan waitlist?

User avatar
Island Girl
Posts: 175
Joined: Fri Oct 23, 2009 9:09 pm

Re: For WUSTL Applicants

Postby Island Girl » Fri Jun 04, 2010 10:16 am

Thank you everyone! Can I just say that looking back on my cycle now, that there really is something to be said about putting your "heart" into an endeavor. This is my second cycle and because I did not much better the third time I took the LSAT, I decided to focus on building myself from the inside out. This meant building character and my soul; giving back to the community; being passionate about the work that I do. I guess people saw that, including my bosses who gave me enthusiastic and very personal letters of recommendation. And when I dug deep inside myself to find something of substance to put on my personal statement, I happily found many palatable things to tell the adcomms. I sort of defied all those three miserable LSAT scores I received, 150, 153 and 157. But I am still truly humbled and in awe of the whole thing. Take care all! Thanks again for the kind wishes. And good luck in law school and in your future careers!!! :)

All my best,
Is.g

User avatar
romothesavior
Posts: 14772
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:29 pm

Re: For WUSTL Applicants

Postby romothesavior » Fri Jun 04, 2010 10:19 am

najumobi wrote:
Island Girl wrote:This week has been a gift. I withdrew from WUSTL to accept Boalt's offer extended today. I hope my spot goes to one of you lovely TLS folks!

wow...this is really cool...congrats.

romo,
looks like there is some T10 movement. are you still on the michigan waitlist?


Yeah I still am.

Island, congrats to you. You must have had a really incredible application and resume to overcome your numbers for Boalt. All the best to you! Have fun out in Cali!

User avatar
JCougar
Posts: 3175
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2008 8:47 pm

Re: For WUSTL Applicants

Postby JCougar » Fri Jun 04, 2010 12:31 pm

robin600 wrote:
JCougar wrote:Can anyone tell me how long it takes to get scholarship info?

Yay! It will come after you fill out the financial aid form! Good luck!


Just had to complete that online. I faxed it in earlier, but it seems that they have lost it. Perhaps that's why I didn't get any scholly info yet.

Does anyone think it's not insane to take WUSTL at full cost ($44K per year) compared to Wisconsin in-state ($17K/year)? Personally, I think it would be kind of insane to do that. I guess I was kind of sure I'd be getting $10K/year splitter scholly if admitted. Not sure what to think now. Of course something could still be coming from WUSTL.

finalaspects
Posts: 1866
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2008 12:21 am

Re: For WUSTL Applicants

Postby finalaspects » Fri Jun 04, 2010 12:40 pm

JCougar wrote:
robin600 wrote:
JCougar wrote:Can anyone tell me how long it takes to get scholarship info?

Yay! It will come after you fill out the financial aid form! Good luck!


Just had to complete that online. I faxed it in earlier, but it seems that they have lost it. Perhaps that's why I didn't get any scholly info yet.

Does anyone think it's not insane to take WUSTL at full cost ($44K per year) compared to Wisconsin in-state ($17K/year)? Personally, I think it would be kind of insane to do that. I guess I was kind of sure I'd be getting $10K/year splitter scholly if admitted. Not sure what to think now. Of course something could still be coming from WUSTL.


hmm that seems like a very difficult choice. if you can practice where you want after graduation from going to wisconsin, that might be the better solution considering that lawyers from T-14 are having a difficult time getting employment.

sent you a PM by the way.

User avatar
MURPH
Posts: 854
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2008 12:20 am

Re: For WUSTL Applicants

Postby MURPH » Fri Jun 04, 2010 1:26 pm

In from the waitlist today with a $10,000/yr scholarship. I called this morning to talk to them about the waitlist and expressed my interest in the school. The conversation went well I guess.

Integrity
Posts: 181
Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2010 2:14 am

Re: For WUSTL Applicants

Postby Integrity » Fri Jun 04, 2010 1:49 pm

MURPH wrote:In from the waitlist today with a $10,000/yr scholarship. I called this morning to talk to them about the waitlist and expressed my interest in the school. The conversation went well I guess.


CONGRATS!!

User avatar
Regionality
Posts: 789
Joined: Thu Feb 25, 2010 5:13 am

Re: For WUSTL Applicants

Postby Regionality » Fri Jun 04, 2010 2:02 pm

JCougar wrote:
robin600 wrote:
JCougar wrote:Can anyone tell me how long it takes to get scholarship info?

Yay! It will come after you fill out the financial aid form! Good luck!


Just had to complete that online. I faxed it in earlier, but it seems that they have lost it. Perhaps that's why I didn't get any scholly info yet.

Does anyone think it's not insane to take WUSTL at full cost ($44K per year) compared to Wisconsin in-state ($17K/year)? Personally, I think it would be kind of insane to do that. I guess I was kind of sure I'd be getting $10K/year splitter scholly if admitted. Not sure what to think now. Of course something could still be coming from WUSTL.


Jebus thats a big price difference...

54k in tuition (17 + 18 + 19 incl yearly increases) for Wisco vs 132k (42 + 44 + 46 for yearly increases) for WUSTL...all for 9 rankings higher and better but only marginally better placement in midwest and a stronger national arena (but not astronomically stronger...Wisco still places 5-7% in Pacific, 5-7% mid-atlantic, 5-7% NE, etc)

WUSTL clearly has Wisco beat in St Louis, Wisco clearly has WUSTL beat in Milwaukee, and WUSTL is better but not orders of magnitude better for Chicago placement. WUSTL can also get you out of the midwest easier...where is your preference to work? Is it a strong preference? TOUGH decision man...

What is 78,000 dollars worth to you? I might be facing the exact same decision...but it would be Wisco OOS w/ 7k/yr scholly (so 30k/yr) vs WUSTL sticker (if I get in off the waitlist) but those prices are much closer...

I really don't know...but my logic and pocketbook says go to Wisconsin, but the buzz of getting in off a much coveted WL->Accept says go to WUSTL...but I say wait on the buzz (and word on scholly info) and decide as late as possible bc then the excitement from getting off the WL might settle and you might decide Wisco is still a smarter option. When do you have to decide?




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: bleakchimera2, cantexplaingottago, Christinabruin, Leliana, Long shot hero and 14 guests