For WUSTL Applicants

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
NU_Jet55

Re: For WUSTL Applicants

Postby NU_Jet55 » Thu Jun 03, 2010 11:39 am

JCougar wrote:WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!! Just got in off the hold list!!

Congrats!!! I love it when TLS brings good news; see you in the fall?

sibley

Postby sibley » Thu Jun 03, 2010 11:42 am

NU_Jet55 wrote:
karmakmsa wrote:
sibley wrote:my undergrad was 'officiall' 18% jewish but that was just what the tour guides said, the real numbers were over 1/3.

well hey that's terrible.

+1

they didn't want to scare of the other groups.

congrats to you people in today =)

NU_Jet55

Postby NU_Jet55 » Thu Jun 03, 2010 11:56 am

JCougar wrote:I'll wait to see about scholarship money to make any final decisions. I guess if I get offered similar money to others with my numbers, my decision will be made.

http://washu.lawschoolnumbers.com/appli ... =3&type=jd

So if they offer you 30k we'll be seeing you in The Lou?

JCougar wrote:Can anyone tell me how long it takes to get scholarship info?

I was on the hold list, and the scholarship info was included in the initial acceptance e-mail. But idk, maybe they'll still offer you $. Either way, it seems that everyone on TLS that has attempted to negotiate money off of the hold list has been successful. Dean Clifford is AWESOME. Good luck! :)

JCougar

Postby JCougar » Thu Jun 03, 2010 12:11 pm

NU_Jet55 wrote:
JCougar wrote:I'll wait to see about scholarship money to make any final decisions. I guess if I get offered similar money to others with my numbers, my decision will be made.

http://washu.lawschoolnumbers.com/appli ... =3&type=jd

So if they offer you 30k we'll be seeing you in The Lou?

I was on the hold list, and the scholarship info was included in the initial acceptance e-mail. But idk, maybe they'll still offer you $. Either way, it seems that everyone on TLS that has attempted to negotiate money off of the hold list has been successful. Dean Clifford is AWESOME. Good luck! :)

Yeah, $30K was what I was expecting. But uh-oh. If you got scholly info in your initial e-mail, I may be shut out.

Encyclopedia Brown

Postby Encyclopedia Brown » Thu Jun 03, 2010 12:17 pm

Nice dude! Congratulations!

JCougar

Postby JCougar » Thu Jun 03, 2010 12:17 pm

Encyclopedia Brown wrote:

Viva la "WL, Accepted" club!

myq

Postby myq » Thu Jun 03, 2010 12:36 pm

NU_Jet55 wrote:
karmakmsa wrote:
sibley wrote:my undergrad was 'officiall' 18% jewish but that was just what the tour guides said, the real numbers were over 1/3.

+1

Is this RC fail on my part? If anybody said "Wow, that's terrible that this school has a lot of black people/Hispanic people/white people/Asians/whatever" I think there'd be a lot of people upset on this board, but it's fine to say that about Jews?

chicoalto0649

Postby chicoalto0649 » Thu Jun 03, 2010 12:47 pm

myq wrote:
NU_Jet55 wrote:
karmakmsa wrote:

+1

Is this RC fail on my part? If anybody said "Wow, that's terrible that this school has a lot of black people/Hispanic people/white people/Asians/whatever" I think there'd be a lot of people upset on this board, but it's fine to say that about Jews?

I for one don't think this person has anything against jews. I think he was just saying its a shame sibley's undergrad wasn't a little more diverse.

Unless they're from Turkey or have relatives on this boat

Then it might be a diff a story. Turks + Jews = not a great mix right now

Integrity

Postby Integrity » Thu Jun 03, 2010 12:54 pm

Congrats, JCougar! I hope they give you some scholly money, too!

Encyclopedia Brown

Postby Encyclopedia Brown » Thu Jun 03, 2010 12:56 pm

myq wrote:Is this RC fail on my part?

Yes.

NU_Jet55

Postby NU_Jet55 » Thu Jun 03, 2010 1:00 pm

myq wrote:
NU_Jet55 wrote:
karmakmsa wrote:

+1

Definite RC Fail. We're saying that it's terrible that the school underreported its Jewish population. Any anti-semites planning on going to Wash U (or almost any other law school for that matter) is in for a very rude awakening.

sibley

Postby sibley » Thu Jun 03, 2010 1:09 pm

chicoalto0649 wrote:
myq wrote:
NU_Jet55 wrote:
karmakmsa wrote:

+1

I for one don't think this person has anything against jews. I think he was just saying its a shame sibley's undergrad wasn't a little more diverse.

Unless they're from Turkey or have relatives on this boat

Then it might be a diff a story. Turks + Jews = not a great mix right now

we have a lot of turks! they get along fine with the jews... it's not the jews that's the problem it's israel... according to one turkish friend's facebook photo.

myq

Postby myq » Thu Jun 03, 2010 1:13 pm

NU_Jet55 wrote:
Definite RC Fail. We're saying that it's terrible that the school underreported its Jewish population. Any anti-semites planning on going to Wash U (or almost any other law school for that matter) is in for a very rude awakening.

Oh, okay. Sorry about that. I'll brush up on my RC before law school starts.

quadsixm

Postby quadsixm » Thu Jun 03, 2010 1:17 pm

Congrats sir!! There is hope!

I hope you get the scholly amount that you need to attend WUSTL!

Regionality

Postby Regionality » Thu Jun 03, 2010 2:29 pm

quadsixm wrote:

Congrats sir!! There is hope!

I hope you get the scholly amount that you need to attend WUSTL!

Aw man congrats!! So jealous but very happy for you! When will you know how much money they're giving you? How much would it take to peel you away from Wisco in-state??

najumobi

Postby najumobi » Thu Jun 03, 2010 4:13 pm

nice man. when are you signing the lease for your st. louis apartment? :P

robin600

Postby robin600 » Thu Jun 03, 2010 4:18 pm

Yay! It will come after you fill out the financial aid form! Good luck!

robin600

Postby robin600 » Thu Jun 03, 2010 4:20 pm

romothesavior wrote:
JCougar wrote:
robin600 wrote:I have a hard time believing people from Vanderbilt are going to get assumed favor over people from WUSTL with same class placement/experience/other important shit.

This already happens when firms choose to do OCI at some schools and not others. Vanderbilt places more people into biglaw than some of the T14. In fact, as far as big firm placement, there really is no more T14. There's a T15, and Vanderbilt isn't even on the bottom of the T15.

As far as non-biglaw jobs go, I'm not sure how much of a difference there would be. But I really think Vanderbilt should have a lock on that 15th ranking. The other 15-18 schools are all super-regionals (like Texas, UCLA, and USC), but Vandy places its students nationally (although it is aided in this by not having a huge home market that sucks everybody in).

As far as Notre Dame goes, it certainly is no better than WUSTL, and St. Louis beats them in quality of life by a mile. ND's placement the last couple of years has been virtually identical to Wash U., despite its national name recognition.

A lot of this is simply ITE though. I think it is too soon to say Vandy>>>lower T14 for biglaw. Recently? Yes. But if and when the legal economy bounces back, I don't think it will stay that way. Especially if NYC starts to get back on its feet, I'd imagine Cornell will reassert itself.

What about non-biglaw jobs? Those do exist right?

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Thu Jun 03, 2010 4:21 pm

robin600 wrote:
romothesavior wrote:
JCougar wrote:
robin600 wrote:I have a hard time believing people from Vanderbilt are going to get assumed favor over people from WUSTL with same class placement/experience/other important shit.

This already happens when firms choose to do OCI at some schools and not others. Vanderbilt places more people into biglaw than some of the T14. In fact, as far as big firm placement, there really is no more T14. There's a T15, and Vanderbilt isn't even on the bottom of the T15.

As far as non-biglaw jobs go, I'm not sure how much of a difference there would be. But I really think Vanderbilt should have a lock on that 15th ranking. The other 15-18 schools are all super-regionals (like Texas, UCLA, and USC), but Vandy places its students nationally (although it is aided in this by not having a huge home market that sucks everybody in).

As far as Notre Dame goes, it certainly is no better than WUSTL, and St. Louis beats them in quality of life by a mile. ND's placement the last couple of years has been virtually identical to Wash U., despite its national name recognition.

A lot of this is simply ITE though. I think it is too soon to say Vandy>>>lower T14 for biglaw. Recently? Yes. But if and when the legal economy bounces back, I don't think it will stay that way. Especially if NYC starts to get back on its feet, I'd imagine Cornell will reassert itself.

What about non-biglaw jobs? Those do exist right?

Yes they do. But the hiring for them seems to be much more regional and not nearly as prestige driven, although still highly competitive. It would seem bizarre to say WUSTL>>>Vandy for non-biglaw private practice. Vanderbilt really is a better school, all the way around (well almost all the way around).

Island Girl

Postby Island Girl » Thu Jun 03, 2010 4:37 pm

JCougar wrote:
Encyclopedia Brown wrote:

Viva la "WL, Accepted" club!

Congratulations!!!

finalaspects

Postby finalaspects » Thu Jun 03, 2010 6:04 pm

for those who got off the waitlist or the hold list, did you guys send in a LOCI?

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Thu Jun 03, 2010 6:16 pm

finalaspects wrote:for those who got off the waitlist or the hold list, did you guys send in a LOCI?

I would send one in, if you haven't already. They definitely do seem to help.

darklighter13

Postby darklighter13 » Thu Jun 03, 2010 7:04 pm

Just went hold->accept. I visited the school back in April after being placed on hold; perhaps that helped me.

quadsixm

Postby quadsixm » Thu Jun 03, 2010 7:05 pm

darklighter13 wrote:Just went hold->accept. I visited the school back in April after being placed on hold; perhaps that helped me.

Nice, another splitter. Any info about scholarship money in your email?

Integrity

Postby Integrity » Thu Jun 03, 2010 7:05 pm

darklighter13 wrote:Just went hold->accept. I visited the school back in April after being placed on hold; perhaps that helped me.

CONGRATS!!

Do they notify by e-mail for holds and wait lists?

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”