For WUSTL Applicants

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
JCougar

Re: For WUSTL Applicants

Postby JCougar » Fri May 07, 2010 9:59 pm

NU_Jet55 wrote:
JCougar wrote:Anything is possible, but from what we've seen so far, it helps if you have at least a 163. Seems that they are aiming to raise their 25th percentile this year.

But perhaps later on down the road, they might have all their numbers secure and decide they like your application in general and just let you in.

this most likely won't happen until much later though, i.e. At least July

Correct. They have to be pretty sure about their numbers before they do any of this.

From the looks of LSN, there hasn't been a single non-URM under 163 admitted yet. LSN is a small sample, I think it gives you a general idea of what they're trying to do.

JCougar

Postby JCougar » Fri May 07, 2010 10:02 pm

espanafootball wrote:
Wheretogo2013 wrote:How low do you guys think WUSTL will go LSAT-wise? Say if their GPA was a 3.8 and everything was solid.

I have a 3.8 and was accepted off the waitlist last week with a 158. Non-URM.

Any reason why you are special? :) Extraordinary work or volunteer experience? Incredible personal story? Non-white non-URM?

espanafootball

Postby espanafootball » Fri May 07, 2010 10:50 pm

JCougar wrote:
espanafootball wrote:
Wheretogo2013 wrote:How low do you guys think WUSTL will go LSAT-wise? Say if their GPA was a 3.8 and everything was solid.

Any reason why you are special? :) Extraordinary work or volunteer experience? Incredible personal story? Non-white non-URM?

I'm about as white as they come, but I do have cool work experience. PM if you want, I'd rather not post publicly...

jman77

Postby jman77 » Sat May 08, 2010 12:12 am

NU_Jet55 wrote:
jman77 wrote:I am retaking the LSAT this June, and my current PT results have me leaning towards making another run next cycle. I may not make the 2nd deposit, depending on how consistent my scores are by that time.

Although part of me is screaming don't be presumptuous and make the deposit to give yourself a safety net in case something goes horribly wrong on test day...

Edit: Does anyone know if WUSTL's deferral is binding? If it's not, I will probably put down the deposit and defer, just so I at least have a safety net for next year.

I don't think it is binding. Call and ask just to make sure. If you could do this asap, it would really help the rest of us trying to attend WUSTL as affordably as possible. Thanks!

I will e-mail them and call to follow-up if necessary. I would want to free up my spot and money as soon as I am sure I will not be attending this year so that someone who really wants to go can benefit... but I also want to make sure that I'm sure.

musicfor18

Postby musicfor18 » Mon May 10, 2010 10:12 am

Just withdrew with $20,000/year scholarship, It was a tough decision!

NU_Jet55

Postby NU_Jet55 » Mon May 10, 2010 10:22 am

musicfor18 wrote:Just withdrew with $20,000/year scholarship, It was a tough decision!

Did you decide on USC then?

JCougar

Postby JCougar » Mon May 10, 2010 10:27 am

espanafootball wrote:
JCougar wrote:
espanafootball wrote:

I'm about as white as they come, but I do have cool work experience. PM if you want, I'd rather not post publicly...

That's awesome...congrats. I'm hoping my work experience plays a role in getting me in at this point. It's nothing awesome, but it's probably above average compared to most law school applicants.

musicfor18

Postby musicfor18 » Mon May 10, 2010 10:34 am

NU_Jet55 wrote:
musicfor18 wrote:Just withdrew with $20,000/year scholarship, It was a tough decision!

Yes, I finally decided! USC it is. It was a tough decision, since WUSTL looks awesome, too. The weather and being in a major city finally won me over.

letsgo

Postby letsgo » Mon May 10, 2010 10:40 am

espanafootball wrote:

Did they offer any scholarship?? I had heard no money for people getting off the waitlist..

JCougar

Postby JCougar » Mon May 10, 2010 10:41 am

musicfor18 wrote:
NU_Jet55 wrote:

Yes, I finally decided! USC it is. It was a tough decision, since WUSTL looks awesome, too. The weather and being in a major city finally won me over.

That's funny, because WUSTL is my first choice because it is in a major city...at least compared to Urbana-Champaign. Chicago placement between the two is pretty much equal, but WUSTL's campus and being in a big city is kind of the tie-breaker for me.

Still a moot point though until I get off either school's waitlist.

JCougar

Postby JCougar » Mon May 10, 2010 10:41 am

letsgo wrote:
espanafootball wrote:

Did they offer any scholarship?? I had heard no money for people getting off the waitlist..

That's already been proven untrue by a couple of posters in this thread already.

NU_Jet55

Postby NU_Jet55 » Mon May 10, 2010 11:00 am

JCougar wrote:
letsgo wrote:Did they offer any scholarship?? I had heard no money for people getting off the waitlist..

That's already been proven untrue by a couple of posters in this thread already.

Actually, ThatDisappoints and myself were both on the "hold list," not the waitlist. I am not aware of anybody offered $ off the waitlist.

JCougar

Postby JCougar » Mon May 10, 2010 11:02 am

NU_Jet55 wrote:
JCougar wrote:
letsgo wrote:Did they offer any scholarship?? I had heard no money for people getting off the waitlist..

Actually, ThatDisappoints and myself were both on the "hold list," not the waitlist. I am not aware of anybody offered $ off the waitlist.

Ahhh...okay.

espanafootball

Postby espanafootball » Mon May 10, 2010 7:26 pm

JCougar wrote:
NU_Jet55 wrote:
JCougar wrote:

No, they didn't offer any money, so I'm going to have to take out a LOT of loans. It will be worth it, though. I was so lucky to get into this school with my score, I was prepared to pay sticker.

quadsixm

Postby quadsixm » Mon May 10, 2010 8:13 pm

espanafootball wrote:No, they didn't offer any money, so I'm going to have to take out a LOT of loans. It will be worth it, though. I was so lucky to get into this school with my score, I was prepared to pay sticker.

Do you mean financially, or in terms of being intellectually stimulating?

espanafootball

Postby espanafootball » Mon May 10, 2010 9:06 pm

I mean that the WULS academic experience and my eventual career are undoubtedly worth the debt I'm about to incur.

JCougar

Postby JCougar » Tue May 11, 2010 10:49 pm

Ugh. Some days of waiting I could care less. Others drive me crazy. This is one of those crazy days. Please let me in WUSTL...I will make you proud!

I wish I could see their actual entering class statistics and determine the likelihood of spots opening up again for high LSATs.

finalaspects

Postby finalaspects » Wed May 12, 2010 10:20 am

JCougar wrote:Ugh. Some days of waiting I could care less. Others drive me crazy. This is one of those crazy days. Please let me in WUSTL...I will make you proud!

I wish I could see their actual entering class statistics and determine the likelihood of spots opening up again for high LSATs.

yea... it would be nice to know. im with you on some days just passing by, while others stay with you.

JCougar

Postby JCougar » Wed May 12, 2010 10:37 am

I tried to find out whether the hold list was a new phenomenon or not this year, so I did a quick google search and came up with TLS's equvalent WUSTL thread from 2009. Apparently, they used the hold list back then, too. I didn't see any mention of it in 2008.

Last year, it seemed they took people off both the waitlist and the hold list in no particular order, and it was spread out evenly from April to July. It seemed far more common for people to be taken off the hold list, though. There was no date where they all of a sudden admitted a ton of people; it was just a steady trickle. Initially, they took higher GPAs, but later on (June, July) they admitted some more high LSATs.

They did start admitting people earlier last year, though. I don't think anyone was admitted this year until May, while last year some people were admitted seemingly a week or two after being put on the list. People admitted off the hold list were almost all offered scholarships, including one with great numbers who was offered close to a full scholarship.

So there may not be as many spots in the class this year for waitlist people, or there may just be a glut of "shotgun approach" applicants with deposits at 2-3 schools.

finalaspects

Postby finalaspects » Wed May 12, 2010 11:05 am

JCougar wrote:I tried to find out whether the hold list was a new phenomenon or not this year, so I did a quick google search and came up with TLS's equvalent WUSTL thread from 2009. Apparently, they used the hold list back then, too. I didn't see any mention of it in 2008.

Last year, it seemed they took people off both the waitlist and the hold list in no particular order, and it was spread out evenly from April to July. It seemed far more common for people to be taken off the hold list, though. There was no date where they all of a sudden admitted a ton of people; it was just a steady trickle. Initially, they took higher GPAs, but later on (June, July) they admitted some more high LSATs.

They did start admitting people earlier last year, though. I don't think anyone was admitted this year until May, while last year some people were admitted seemingly a week or two after being put on the list. People admitted off the hold list were almost all offered scholarships, including one with great numbers who was offered close to a full scholarship.

So there may not be as many spots in the class this year for waitlist people, or there may just be a glut of "shotgun approach" applicants with deposits at 2-3 schools.

so basically we have to hold steady until end of july to find out?

JCougar

Postby JCougar » Wed May 12, 2010 11:12 am

finalaspects wrote:so basically we have to hold steady until end of july to find out?

I guess it all depends, but that is a distinct possibility. As of now, I'm not anticipating hearing anything until June (after the second deposit deadline). I believe around June 15th or so, WUSTL gets a report on who is double-deposited, and starts to ask for definite decisions from those people, too. So that usually clears up a few spaces.

quadsixm

Postby quadsixm » Fri May 14, 2010 10:13 pm

JCougar wrote:
finalaspects wrote:so basically we have to hold steady until end of july to find out?

I guess it all depends, but that is a distinct possibility. As of now, I'm not anticipating hearing anything until June (after the second deposit deadline). I believe around June 15th or so, WUSTL gets a report on who is double-deposited, and starts to ask for definite decisions from those people, too. So that usually clears up a few spaces.

Some pretty heavy WL activity from peer and higher-ranked schools this week... so let's hope we get some trickle-down soon!

najumobi

Postby najumobi » Fri May 14, 2010 11:40 pm

quadsixm wrote:Some pretty heavy WL activity from peer and higher-ranked schools this week... so let's hope we get some trickle-down soon!
which schools?

quadsixm

Postby quadsixm » Sat May 15, 2010 12:53 pm

najumobi wrote:
quadsixm wrote:Some pretty heavy WL activity from peer and higher-ranked schools this week... so let's hope we get some trickle-down soon!
which schools?

Of the ones I've been paying attention to, I know GW and USC pulled a bunch this week, and GULC has already gone to their two WLs as well. I don't know how this will affect WUSTLs hold and WLs, though.

jks289

Postby jks289 » Sat May 15, 2010 1:53 pm

quadsixm wrote:
najumobi wrote:
which schools?

Of the ones I've been paying attention to, I know GW and USC pulled a bunch this week, and GULC has already gone to their two WLs as well. I don't know how this will affect WUSTLs hold and WLs, though.

Only person who left the 2013 group was SauerGrapes who is Northwestern bound. So at least as far as TLS is concerned no real movement yet,

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”