For WUSTL Applicants

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Vincent Vega

Re: For WUSTL Applicants

Postby Vincent Vega » Thu May 06, 2010 7:18 pm

najumobi wrote:
Encyclopedia Brown wrote:
najumobi wrote:
Vincent Vega wrote:I don't peruse this thread much, so this may have been said before. Is it common for WUSTL to wait until at least May to give decisions to people who applied in October? A 7-month turnaround is pretty bad. I heard back from William and Mary 14 times quicker.
for wustl it pretty much just depends on your stats...the more competitive your stats are (which hinges on whether you have a 167 or higher lsat) the sooner you'll hear back. if you applied late in the cycle (february or later) or if you are a reverse splitter, you'll probably be one of the last people to get a decision.

<-----Not always the case. Applied late Oct.
yeah there's always a possibility that traditional splitters won't hear back/get accepted before april, but if you don't have at least a 167 or a 3.7 gpa you shouldn't expect to get a decision from wustl until april or later, no matter when you apply.

Ugh. That's a terrible way to do business. I've lost a lot of respect for them.

najumobi

Postby najumobi » Fri May 07, 2010 12:05 am

Vincent Vega wrote:
najumobi wrote:yeah there's always a possibility that traditional splitters won't hear back/get accepted before april, but if you don't have at least a 167 or a 3.7 gpa you shouldn't expect to get a decision from wustl until april or later, no matter when you apply.
eh...that's what most schools do. generally, the more competitive you are at a school the faster you'll get a decision.i think it makes sense that schools court applicants with higher stats before courting applicants with lower stats.

Vincent Vega

Postby Vincent Vega » Fri May 07, 2010 12:08 am

najumobi wrote:
Vincent Vega wrote:
najumobi wrote:yeah there's always a possibility that traditional splitters won't hear back/get accepted before april, but if you don't have at least a 167 or a 3.7 gpa you shouldn't expect to get a decision from wustl until april or later, no matter when you apply.
eh...that's what most schools do. generally, the more competitive you are at a school the faster you'll get a decision.i think it makes sense that schools court applicants with higher stats before courting applicants with lower stats.

Except that I applied to 20 schools, and all of the rest of them gave me decisions months ago.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Fri May 07, 2010 12:10 am

Vincent Vega wrote:
najumobi wrote:
Vincent Vega wrote:

Except that I applied to 20 schools, and all of the rest of them gave me decisions months ago.

Have you contacted the school? That is a long, long time to wait. I'd check with them to see what's up.

najumobi

Postby najumobi » Fri May 07, 2010 12:43 am

romothesavior wrote:
Vincent Vega wrote:Except that I applied to 20 schools, and all of the rest of them gave me decisions months ago.

Have you contacted the school? That is a long, long time to wait. I'd check with them to see what's up.
is it the case that vincent was put on hold? i don't think he's in a bad spot though since it looks like they're exclusively admitting high gpa applicants from the group that's on hold and the waitlist.

thatdisappoints

Postby thatdisappoints » Fri May 07, 2010 2:33 pm

Just to hopefully dispel the notion that WUSTL has run out of acceptances and scholarship money to give away. Not only did I get off the hold list with a small scholarship a few days, but they (slightly more than) doubled it within 2 days when I asked and explained my situation, on my birthday no less!

Good luck everyone else who is still waiting with bated breath for a "CONGRATULATIONS" email from Mary Ann or Anna!

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Fri May 07, 2010 2:38 pm

thatdisappoints wrote:Just to hopefully dispel the notion that WUSTL has run out of acceptances and scholarship money to give away. Not only did I get off the hold list with a small scholarship a few days, but they (slightly more than) doubled it within 2 days when I asked and explained my situation, on my birthday no less!

Good luck everyone else who is still waiting with bated breath for a "CONGRATULATIONS" email from Mary Ann or Anna!

Wow, I'm really, really surprised. Congratulations on the successful negotiation.

Definitely a bit frustrating for those of us accepted months ago who got rejected for increases (I asked for $5,000 more). But that's life, right?

pertristis

Postby pertristis » Fri May 07, 2010 2:41 pm

I withdrew from the hold list today; it just didn't make sense for me to stay on. Best of luck to everyone still on there.

Andrew the Wolverine

Postby Andrew the Wolverine » Fri May 07, 2010 2:45 pm

I'm really tempted to just withdraw. I'm a splitter, and it just doesn't feel like anybody with high LSATs are getting in from either the hold or wait lists. So frustrating to keep waiting. Ahhh.

NU_Jet55

Postby NU_Jet55 » Fri May 07, 2010 2:48 pm

thatdisappoints wrote:Just to hopefully dispel the notion that WUSTL has run out of acceptances and scholarship money to give away. Not only did I get off the hold list with a small scholarship a few days, but they (slightly more than) doubled it within 2 days when I asked and explained my situation, on my birthday no less!

So will we be seeing you at Wash U in the fall? Or have you made a decision yet?

And yeah, this is great for me to hear as a high GPA person. (Here's to more $ coming my way!!)

thatdisappoints

Postby thatdisappoints » Fri May 07, 2010 2:55 pm

So will we be seeing you at Wash U in the fall? Or have you made a decision yet?

Pretty sure its WashU for me. It was one of the four schools I've wanted since the very beginning (oh that cold December 2008 morning when I took my first practice test) so I'll be disappointed if I don't go there. I'm not expecting good things from the Duke WL and UVA already rejected me :-\ Indiana and their big bucket of money is giving me pause, but I'm 90% sure its WashU for me. WoooooooSTL

finalaspects

Postby finalaspects » Fri May 07, 2010 2:57 pm

seems like they're still going for GPA with your 3.7 and all.

quadsixm

Postby quadsixm » Fri May 07, 2010 4:28 pm

finalaspects wrote:

seems like they're still going for GPA with your 3.7 and all.

Argh, it seems like they REALLY want high GPA's. Total bummer for us LSAT splitters :(

jman77

Postby jman77 » Fri May 07, 2010 4:42 pm

Hey guys, I am seriously considering either deferring or withdrawing completely from WUSTL. If so, that'll be 1 spot and $117K back in play.

JCougar

Postby JCougar » Fri May 07, 2010 4:44 pm

jman77 wrote:Hey guys, I am seriously considering either deferring or withdrawing completely from WUSTL. If so, that'll be 1 spot and $117K back in play.

Any particular reason?

expungemalice

Postby expungemalice » Fri May 07, 2010 4:51 pm

Does everyone on the hold list still expect to hear back in the next week or so? or do we have the same timeline as those on the waitlist. i was under the impression we were to hear back sooner...

JCougar

Postby JCougar » Fri May 07, 2010 4:55 pm

expungemalice wrote:Does everyone on the hold list still expect to hear back in the next week or so? or do we have the same timeline as those on the waitlist. i was under the impression we were to hear back sooner...

I'm not totally sure that's the case. I think we're all really in the same pot. Whether you're on the hold list or the wait list, you will be pulled off based first on what kind of numbers WUSTL decides they need, and likely based second on interest shown/softs.

jman77

Postby jman77 » Fri May 07, 2010 5:06 pm

JCougar wrote:
jman77 wrote:Hey guys, I am seriously considering either deferring or withdrawing completely from WUSTL. If so, that'll be 1 spot and $117K back in play.

Any particular reason?

I am retaking the LSAT this June, and my current PT results have me leaning towards making another run next cycle. I may not make the 2nd deposit, depending on how consistent my scores are by that time.

Although part of me is screaming don't be presumptuous and make the deposit to give yourself a safety net in case something goes horribly wrong on test day...

Edit: Does anyone know if WUSTL's deferral is binding? If it's not, I will probably put down the deposit and defer, just so I at least have a safety net for next year.

NU_Jet55

Postby NU_Jet55 » Fri May 07, 2010 5:35 pm

jman77 wrote:I am retaking the LSAT this June, and my current PT results have me leaning towards making another run next cycle. I may not make the 2nd deposit, depending on how consistent my scores are by that time.

Although part of me is screaming don't be presumptuous and make the deposit to give yourself a safety net in case something goes horribly wrong on test day...

Edit: Does anyone know if WUSTL's deferral is binding? If it's not, I will probably put down the deposit and defer, just so I at least have a safety net for next year.

I don't think it is binding. Call and ask just to make sure. If you could do this asap, it would really help the rest of us trying to attend WUSTL as affordably as possible. Thanks!

Wheretogo2013

Postby Wheretogo2013 » Fri May 07, 2010 8:13 pm

How low do you guys think WUSTL will go LSAT-wise? Say if their GPA was a 3.8 and everything was solid.

Integrity

Postby Integrity » Fri May 07, 2010 8:21 pm

Wheretogo2013 wrote:How low do you guys think WUSTL will go LSAT-wise? Say if their GPA was a 3.8 and everything was solid.

In a similar situation. 4.0/158 non-URM...

JCougar

Postby JCougar » Fri May 07, 2010 9:04 pm

Anything is possible, but from what we've seen so far, it helps if you have at least a 163. Seems that they are aiming to raise their 25th percentile this year.

But perhaps later on down the road, they might have all their numbers secure and decide they like your application in general and just let you in.

NU_Jet55

Postby NU_Jet55 » Fri May 07, 2010 9:18 pm

JCougar wrote:Anything is possible, but from what we've seen so far, it helps if you have at least a 163. Seems that they are aiming to raise their 25th percentile this year.

But perhaps later on down the road, they might have all their numbers secure and decide they like your application in general and just let you in.

this most likely won't happen until much later though, i.e. At least July

espanafootball

Postby espanafootball » Fri May 07, 2010 9:40 pm

Wheretogo2013 wrote:How low do you guys think WUSTL will go LSAT-wise? Say if their GPA was a 3.8 and everything was solid.

I have a 3.8 and was accepted off the waitlist last week with a 158. Non-URM.

Integrity

Postby Integrity » Fri May 07, 2010 9:41 pm

July works for me...is that standard for most top 20 schools (re: hearing in July for reverse splitters)?

I am wait listed at UVA, Vandy, and WashU...hoping in that order...but grateful for ANY of them!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”