Page 190 of 210

Re: For WUSTL Applicants

Posted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 2:44 pm
by JCougar
These schools historically have given out scholarships to people accepted off the waitlist late in the cycle, though. Including WUSTL last year. Yes, it's possible for all of that to change this year, but I think it's doubtful that happens at all schools. Minnesota just pulled someone off the waitlist a few days ago and offered them about a 3/4 scholly. Illinois definitely gave me the impression that scholarships will be available to people on the waitlist when I visited.

I mean, I guess I don't expect a scholarship if the school already had their numbers nailed down, because they would have little incentive to give one to me. So that might happen at WUSTL, because they have started to differentiate themselves from the rest of the pack in regards to placement, and more otherwise T14-bound students feel safe attending WUSTL at a lower cost. If that's the case, than I'd have mixed feelings about paying sticker. I guess that would be partially good for me even if I paid sticker, though, because it would be a sign that the school is still on the rise, and by the time I graduate, it may be T17-caliber.

And yes, I did not factor in merit scholarships handed out after 1L, but those are hard to bank on, and presumably harder to get.

Re: For WUSTL Applicants

Posted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 2:51 pm
by fl0w
JCougar wrote:These schools historically have given out scholarships to people accepted off the waitlist late in the cycle, though. Including WUSTL last year. Yes, it's possible for all of that to change this year, but I think it's doubtful that happens at all schools. Minnesota just pulled someone off the waitlist a few days ago and offered them about a 3/4 scholly. Illinois definitely gave me the impression that scholarships will be available to people on the waitlist when I visited.

I mean, I guess I don't expect a scholarship if the school already had their numbers nailed down, because they would have little incentive to give one to me. So that might happen at WUSTL, because they have started to differentiate themselves from the rest of the pack in regards to placement, and more otherwise T14-bound students feel safe attending WUSTL at a lower cost. If that's the case, than I'd have mixed feelings about paying sticker. I guess that would be partially good for me even if I paid sticker, though, because it would be a sign that the school is still on the rise, and by the time I graduate, it may be T17-caliber.

And yes, I did not factor in merit scholarships handed out after 1L, but those are hard to bank on, and presumably harder to get.


i hope everything goes well for you. but for now.. man you need to relieve some stress.

got a girl? *wink*wink*

Re: For WUSTL Applicants

Posted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 3:02 pm
by JCougar
fl0w wrote:
JCougar wrote:These schools historically have given out scholarships to people accepted off the waitlist late in the cycle, though. Including WUSTL last year. Yes, it's possible for all of that to change this year, but I think it's doubtful that happens at all schools. Minnesota just pulled someone off the waitlist a few days ago and offered them about a 3/4 scholly. Illinois definitely gave me the impression that scholarships will be available to people on the waitlist when I visited.

I mean, I guess I don't expect a scholarship if the school already had their numbers nailed down, because they would have little incentive to give one to me. So that might happen at WUSTL, because they have started to differentiate themselves from the rest of the pack in regards to placement, and more otherwise T14-bound students feel safe attending WUSTL at a lower cost. If that's the case, than I'd have mixed feelings about paying sticker. I guess that would be partially good for me even if I paid sticker, though, because it would be a sign that the school is still on the rise, and by the time I graduate, it may be T17-caliber.

And yes, I did not factor in merit scholarships handed out after 1L, but those are hard to bank on, and presumably harder to get.


i hope everything goes well for you. but for now.. man you need to relieve some stress.

got a girl? *wink*wink*


I have a fun weekend planned. I'm just stuck at work today with nothing to really work on.

Re: For WUSTL Applicants

Posted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 3:09 pm
by ticklememauve
JCougar wrote:These schools historically have given out scholarships to people accepted off the waitlist late in the cycle, though. Including WUSTL last year. Yes, it's possible for all of that to change this year, but I think it's doubtful that happens at all schools. Minnesota just pulled someone off the waitlist a few days ago and offered them about a 3/4 scholly. Illinois definitely gave me the impression that scholarships will be available to people on the waitlist when I visited.

I mean, I guess I don't expect a scholarship if the school already had their numbers nailed down, because they would have little incentive to give one to me. So that might happen at WUSTL, because they have started to differentiate themselves from the rest of the pack in regards to placement, and more otherwise T14-bound students feel safe attending WUSTL at a lower cost. If that's the case, than I'd have mixed feelings about paying sticker. I guess that would be partially good for me even if I paid sticker, though, because it would be a sign that the school is still on the rise, and by the time I graduate, it may be T17-caliber.

And yes, I did not factor in merit scholarships handed out after 1L, but those are hard to bank on, and presumably harder to get.


I have to admit, I too am holding out hope that it is too early to judge just what schools will do in regard to scholarships. It's not even May 1st yet. Who knows what will happen? Come June 1st, it could be even more drastically different. I don't expect any sort of scholarship for myself if I am even lucky enough to be drawn off the WL, especially at WUSTL. But I wouldn't be utterly shocked if other held/WLed folks got something in the way of scholarship.

That being said, all we can really do is wait and hope for the best. Good luck to all.

Re: For WUSTL Applicants

Posted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 3:12 pm
by 2013esq
sibley wrote:
xanderdellus wrote:Probably just trying to get folks to withdraw.



well you guys still waiting should hear really soon!

withdrew yesterday. just 11k/yr back in the pot, but it's something. was a really hard choice.


Where will you be going?

Re: For WUSTL Applicants

Posted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 5:19 pm
by fishn4fun
Miracles do happen!!! Just accepted off the waitlist! Good luck to all those still waiting.

Re: For WUSTL Applicants

Posted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 5:21 pm
by finalaspects
fishn4fun wrote:Miracles do happen!!! Just accepted off the waitlist! Good luck to all those still waiting.


howd you find out? and waitlist and not the hold list? what are your stats?

Re: For WUSTL Applicants

Posted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 5:23 pm
by fishn4fun
PM if you are interested

Re: For WUSTL Applicants

Posted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 5:25 pm
by finalaspects
fishn4fun wrote:PM if you are interested


sent

Re: For WUSTL Applicants

Posted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 5:28 pm
by chicoalto0649
Hold or waitlist?

Re: For WUSTL Applicants

Posted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 5:32 pm
by finalaspects
chicoalto0649 wrote:Hold or waitlist?


he is indeed a waitlist like he stated.

Re: For WUSTL Applicants

Posted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 5:39 pm
by Jason321123
In off the held list.

Re: For WUSTL Applicants

Posted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 5:39 pm
by fishn4fun
Congrats!

Re: For WUSTL Applicants

Posted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 5:40 pm
by fishn4fun
Did you send a loci and visit?

Re: For WUSTL Applicants

Posted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 5:42 pm
by finalaspects
Jason321123 wrote:In off the held list.


yea, can you tell us if you wrote a LOCI? i didn't write one yet because i wasn't waitlisted.

also can you share your stats if you don't mind?

edit: nm saw your profile. it seems like WUSTL is trying to pull in high GPA's at the moment.

Re: For WUSTL Applicants

Posted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 5:47 pm
by Jason321123
Um sure...but I'd prefer to talk on PM if you have any questions. Good luck to the rest of you guys!

PS: In your face Boston College! You reject me and I got into a better school! BOOYAH! :D
Err...nothing personal against anyone who likes/wants to go to/attending/graduated from Boston College. I was just surprised they rejected me straight out. Lawl.

Re: For WUSTL Applicants

Posted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 5:51 pm
by Jason321123
Err...I really don't think it was my numbers. I applied REALLY late into the cycle. Like LATE LATE, as in like the second week of February...lol...So uhh yeah my numbers probably weren't the deciding factor for my admit.

Re: For WUSTL Applicants

Posted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 5:53 pm
by finalaspects
Jason321123 wrote:Err...I really don't think it was my numbers. I applied REALLY late into the cycle. Like LATE LATE, as in like the second week of February...lol...So uhh yeah my numbers probably weren't the deciding factor for my admit.


oh im not saying your numbers were solely it. but so far they only pulled in people who has over their 50% in GPA.

and i sent you a PM.

Re: For WUSTL Applicants

Posted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 5:59 pm
by fishn4fun
I assure you from personal experience and meetings with admissions counselors that law schools do look past numbers for unique experiences and career aspirations.

Re: For WUSTL Applicants

Posted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 6:05 pm
by kswiss
Well I'm feeling not good about my chances now. My GPA is shit.

Shit.

Re: For WUSTL Applicants

Posted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 6:06 pm
by finalaspects
kswiss wrote:Well I'm feeling not good about my chances now. My GPA is shit.

Shit.


ditto. since they did receive too many deposits, maybe most of them were high lsat people?

or those people who withdrew were high GPA folks.

Re: For WUSTL Applicants

Posted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 6:12 pm
by kswiss
Man, this as I get an email from Dean Pless at UIUC that they expect a lot of movement from the WL. I wonder why the experience of the different admissions staffs are so different?

Here's to even more waiting. My fall back school is alright with me, though.

Also: just finished my last UG final this morning! Feels great.

Re: For WUSTL Applicants

Posted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 7:09 pm
by Jason321123
Congrats on your final, final! I'll probably be going to WUSTL next fall. Already getting ready to pay my deposit. So stoked! I loved the school man and I cannot wait to start! Good luck guys, I wish you the best!

Re: For WUSTL Applicants

Posted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 9:53 pm
by Integrity
I have a 3.92 and haven't heard a peep! UGH!!!!

Re: For WUSTL Applicants

Posted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 10:28 pm
by quadsixm
I am freaking out now! Sent a LOCI a few weeks ago stating that they're my unequivocal first choice, but I feel so helpless now. Maybe I'll write another LOCI, and another... :P