For WUSTL Applicants

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
quadsixm

Re: For WUSTL Applicants

Postby quadsixm » Wed Apr 28, 2010 7:13 pm

romothesavior wrote:I'm really pulling for quad and Jcougar. Might even call the admissions office and tell them to admit you guys.

hehe thanks... Need all the positive thinking I can get!

I am definitely pleased with W&L, but I'm an engineer and leaning towards IP, which WUSTL and GW are much stronger in.

JCougar

Postby JCougar » Wed Apr 28, 2010 7:31 pm

romothesavior wrote:I'm really pulling for quad and Jcougar. Might even call the admissions office and tell them to admit you guys.

Maybe you can write me an extra LOR. :D

JCougar

Postby JCougar » Wed Apr 28, 2010 7:36 pm

quadsixm wrote:

hehe thanks... Need all the positive thinking I can get!

I am definitely pleased with W&L, but I'm an engineer and leaning towards IP, which WUSTL and GW are much stronger in.

At least you have an excuse for your low GPA. :D I...ummm...worked a ton throughout undergrad and pretty much supported myself, and I guess grades were not important enough for me at the time. But I did major in Psychology...I could have gotten close to a 4.0 if grades were my first priority like they are now.
Last edited by JCougar on Wed Apr 28, 2010 7:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JCougar

Postby JCougar » Wed Apr 28, 2010 7:48 pm

ITT: I admit that I periodically check LSN throughout the work day to see if there has been any recent withdrawls. Two close to full schollies plus Sibley plus a guy with awesome numbers on the hold list withdrew in the last 24 hours.

Not that it tells me anything because I have no idea how many people have to withdraw for spots to actually open up. Nor does it tell me what's happening with the 90% of applicants that don't use LSN. But it does kill time during the work day, and each new withdrawl brings me another ray of hope. :mrgreen:

It's been a few weeks now since our department here has gotten any new projects. Law School couldn't come at a better time.

Zanith

Postby Zanith » Thu Apr 29, 2010 1:58 am

I talked to some people in the admission committee and they said the following stuff to me:

It is VERY unlikely that any scholarship money will be given to any candidate that is pulled off the waitlist and hold list.

I hope this was of help.

JCougar

Postby JCougar » Thu Apr 29, 2010 9:59 am

Zanith wrote:I talked to some people in the admission committee and they said the following stuff to me:

It is VERY unlikely that any scholarship money will be given to any candidate that is pulled off the waitlist and hold list.

I hope this was of help.

I just don't believe that. I spoke to the admissions committee as well, and that was not the impression they gave me, nor is that consistent with what has happened in the past. Sorry, I believe my own ears over someone who has one post on here.

xanderdellus

Postby xanderdellus » Thu Apr 29, 2010 10:06 am

Probably just trying to get folks to withdraw.

sibley

Postby sibley » Thu Apr 29, 2010 10:16 am

xanderdellus wrote:Probably just trying to get folks to withdraw.

well you guys still waiting should hear really soon!

withdrew yesterday. just 11k/yr back in the pot, but it's something. was a really hard choice.

itsmytime10

Postby itsmytime10 » Thu Apr 29, 2010 10:18 am

JCougar wrote:
Zanith wrote:I talked to some people in the admission committee and they said the following stuff to me:

I hope this was of help.

I just don't believe that. I spoke to the admissions committee as well, and that was not the impression they gave me, nor is that consistent with what has happened in the past. Sorry, I believe my own ears over someone who has one post on here.

I didn't believe it either till i called. Looks like different people are telling us different things. They need to get their story straight

darklighter13

Postby darklighter13 » Thu Apr 29, 2010 10:21 am

JCougar wrote:

I hope this was of help.

FWIW, Mary Ann Clifford told me about three weeks ago that there would probably be no money available for anyone coming off wl/hold.

JCougar

Postby JCougar » Thu Apr 29, 2010 12:08 pm

darklighter13 wrote:
JCougar wrote:

I hope this was of help.

FWIW, Mary Ann Clifford told me about three weeks ago that there would probably be no money available for anyone coming off wl/hold.

The reason I either doubt that or take it with a grain of salt is that it's impossible for them to know for sure until after the refund deadline. Better for them to lower expectations and surprise you rather than promise something and then not have it available.

I find it hard to believe that they think people will matriculate when peer schools will be offering not only scholarships, but some pretty sizeable scholarships. People on the hold list have some pretty great numbers, and it would be foolish for most of them to pay sticker given the other opportunities available to them. So if they're not going to offer scholarships to anyone on the hold list, it's pretty pointless to even have a hold list.

fl0w

Postby fl0w » Thu Apr 29, 2010 12:22 pm

JCougar wrote:The reason I either doubt that or take it with a grain of salt is that it's impossible for them to know for sure until after the refund deadline. Better for them to lower expectations and surprise you rather than promise something and then not have it available.

I find it hard to believe that they think people will matriculate when peer schools will be offering not only scholarships, but some pretty sizeable scholarships. People on the hold list have some pretty great numbers, and it would be foolish for most of them to pay sticker given the other opportunities available to them. So if they're not going to offer scholarships to anyone on the hold list, it's pretty pointless to even have a hold list.

I honestly can see wustl being "out of money". They are more generous with scholarships than their peer schools. I don't think that anyone on any waitlist at this point should really be expecting scholarship money.

That being said, I did donate $25 dollars to the wustl law school [no joke!]. So hopefully that will make it so one of you can attend :)

itsmytime10

Postby itsmytime10 » Thu Apr 29, 2010 12:27 pm

JCougar wrote:
darklighter13 wrote:
JCougar wrote:

I hope this was of help.

The reason I either doubt that or take it with a grain of salt is that it's impossible for them to know for sure until after the refund deadline. Better for them to lower expectations and surprise you rather than promise something and then not have it available.

It really isn't hard to confirm this. Just give them a call and i can assure you that they will tell that waitlist students will not be getting $$. There could be exceptions but this is what they are saying.

JCougar

Postby JCougar » Thu Apr 29, 2010 12:28 pm

fl0w wrote:
JCougar wrote:The reason I either doubt that or take it with a grain of salt is that it's impossible for them to know for sure until after the refund deadline. Better for them to lower expectations and surprise you rather than promise something and then not have it available.

I honestly can see wustl being "out of money". They are more generous with scholarships than their peer schools. I don't think that anyone on any waitlist at this point should really be expecting scholarship money.

That being said, I did donate $25 dollars to the wustl law school [no joke!]. So hopefully that will make it so one of you can attend :)

It's entirely possible that they may be out of money by next week. If that's the case, it's likely they already have the numbers they need for their entering class because the full schollies ended up matriculating, and thus they will be free to admit whoever is going to pay them the most tuition.

But it's also impossible for them to know if that will be true or not until next week. They have their historical percentages, but this cycle is drastically different in some respects, so you never know what may happen.

JCougar

Postby JCougar » Thu Apr 29, 2010 12:29 pm

itsmytime10 wrote:It really isn't hard to confirm this. Just give them a call and i can assure you that they will tell that waitlist students will not be getting $$. There could be exceptions but this is what they are saying.

I have already spoken with them in person, so there's no need for me to confirm anything.

najumobi

Postby najumobi » Thu Apr 29, 2010 12:49 pm

fl0w wrote:That being said, I did donate $25 dollars to the wustl law school [no joke!]. So hopefully that will make it so one of you can attend :)
ha

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Thu Apr 29, 2010 12:58 pm

Sorry JCoug, but I think the other posters are right. Every single person who has tried to negotiate with Wash U has gotten shut down. They have told all of us that they are over their scholarship budget, and based on my conversation with an adcomm at the ASD, it sound like they are a little worried about it. With all due respect, if they are shutting down people who are at or above their 75% numbers who ask for a small increase, I can't see them having much incentive to hand out money to people on the waitlist. They may do it to those with an LSAT/GPA over median if they think it can influence the median at all, but I don't think its likely.

JCougar

Postby JCougar » Thu Apr 29, 2010 1:08 pm

Perhaps they are concerned, I don't know. Iowa handed out so many full scholarships this year that they were telling people nobody would be getting a partial scholarship. I'm not sure how that is ending up. All I know is that they can't possibly know for sure yet because they don't know how many people will withdraw by the end of this week.

Regardless, this is turning out to be a really bad year to apply later in the cycle. A few schools haven't even finished reviewing applications yet.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Thu Apr 29, 2010 1:09 pm

JCougar wrote:Perhaps they are concerned, I don't know. Iowa handed out so many full scholarships this year that they were telling people nobody would be getting a partial scholarship. I'm not sure how that is ending up. All I know is that they can't possibly know for sure yet because they don't know how many people will withdraw by the end of this week.

Regardless, this is turning out to be a really bad year to apply later in the cycle. A few schools haven't even finished reviewing applications yet.

They may not know for sure, but I'm sure their formulas and their deposits compared to previous years can tell them something.

Wheretogo2013

Postby Wheretogo2013 » Thu Apr 29, 2010 1:30 pm

JCougar wrote:Perhaps they are concerned, I don't know. Iowa handed out so many full scholarships this year that they were telling people nobody would be getting a partial scholarship. I'm not sure how that is ending up. All I know is that they can't possibly know for sure yet because they don't know how many people will withdraw by the end of this week.

Alabama, FSU, Vanderbilt, UNC, ND...

JCougar

Postby JCougar » Thu Apr 29, 2010 1:31 pm

romothesavior wrote:

They may not know for sure, but I'm sure their formulas and their deposits compared to previous years can tell them something.

But their formulas aren't going to work as well this year because of the changing application patterns. 4% increase in applicants with 20-60% increase in applications at some schools? The LSAT is scored on a bell curve, and although more people are retaking, there can't be THAT many more people with spectacular numbers this year where auto-admit numbers + a decent scholarship now all of a sudden means you're not going to get in.

But maybe sites like this one really are having more of an effect than I would think. The meme on here is to retake until you get a score in the upper 160s, apply early, and apply to a ton of schools, and also cautining against even going to law school at all if you can't get into a top school. It's good advice. Great advice, actually. But it's changing law school application patterns. It's causing more people to seriously consider going to law school only if they can get into at least a T30. So maybe people with mediocre numbers aren't even bothering to apply this year, instead opting to retake the LSAT and get some work experience.

I guess this just isn't your average year, so I'm going to hold off on coming to any conclusions until I hear a final decision from the school.

With that said, my friends are flying in tonight and we're spending the weekend at the beach. Maybe the sun will bake the law school worries out of my mind!

JCougar

Postby JCougar » Thu Apr 29, 2010 1:34 pm

Wheretogo2013 wrote:

Alabama, FSU, Vanderbilt, UNC, ND...

Minnesota, Cornell, Kent...

Obviously, I didn't pay any attention to cycles in previous years, but did schools really take this long to issue initial decisions in the past? How can people know enough to put down a seat deposit if all these schools haven't finished reviewing applications yet?

Zanith

Postby Zanith » Thu Apr 29, 2010 1:42 pm

Um, I talked with Mary Ann Clifford...she said it's very doubtful that anyone will be getting any scholarship money if they're accepted off the waitlist/hold list. I know that you're hoping, and I do wish you the best of luck. However, that's what she told me and I'm just trying to be helpful. Currently, I'm waiting for my the rest of my apps to come in from different schools STILL. Cornell, Notre Dame, Vanderbilt, UCLA, I'm looking at you...I'm currently on the hold list at WUSTL. So um yeah...

I really do like WUSTL. I'm currently on waitlists for various other schools with comparative ranks but WUSTL was so much more friendly and responsive than any other school, so yes...I really do wish to attend this school. However, I don't have my hopes up as I've already put down a seat deposit at another school so meh...

JCougar

Postby JCougar » Thu Apr 29, 2010 2:05 pm

Zanith wrote:Um, I talked with Mary Ann Clifford...she said it's very doubtful that anyone will be getting any scholarship money if they're accepted off the waitlist/hold list. I know that you're hoping, and I do wish you the best of luck. However, that's what she told me and I'm just trying to be helpful. Currently, I'm waiting for my the rest of my apps to come in from different schools STILL. Cornell, Notre Dame, Vanderbilt, UCLA, I'm looking at you...I'm currently on the hold list at WUSTL. So um yeah...

I really do like WUSTL. I'm currently on waitlists for various other schools with comparative ranks but WUSTL was so much more friendly and responsive than any other school, so yes...I really do wish to attend this school. However, I don't have my hopes up as I've already put down a seat deposit at another school so meh...

But that's exactly what I mean. You still haven't heard from about half a dozen schools, so how could any deposit you put down really mean anything? I think many people are in a similar situation.

I haven't heard much conclusive from my target schools as well. I'm on the Illinois waitlist, and have heard nothing yet from Cornell and Minnesota. I'm in at Wisconsin with in-state tuition, which is only 17K. If I get in at Minnesota, I get tuition reciprocity (which only really ammounts to 5K/year) plus whatever splitter scholarship they would give me. But they're cheaper than WUSTL to begin with. And Illinois has been giving out splitter scholarships around $20k/year to some people.

WUSTL has only been giving out 10K/year to splitters this year, but it does have better placement than all of the above. Plus, I was actually surprised by how much I liked both the school and St. Louis. I think I definitely want to live in a big city again. But is it worth $20-25K more per year than the competition (the cost difference without any WUSTL scholarship)? That's $75K more by the time I graduate, before interest is factored in. If I get that market-paying job in Chicago, that's an extra five years paying off debt. :?

Zanith

Postby Zanith » Thu Apr 29, 2010 2:20 pm

Shrug up to you. Personally, I'm just aiming for the highest ranking school at the moment. I don't mind too much where I end up as, currently most the of the schools I applied to are worth my time and money for various reasons. Besides, if you do well your first year, you could be getting a merit based scholarship for 2nd-3rd year, which you haven't really factored into your calculations it seems. I'm just stating that more than likely you will be paying sticker at WUSTL and many other schools that have placed you on wait lists/hold lists. Because honestly, this is how I figure it will happen. These schools have a large candidate pool that is willing to pay sticker price for the school if just given the opportunity to attend. Why would they give you scholly money when someone with near/exact numbers are willing to take that spot at full price? Shrug just my two cents, but yeah. I wouldn't expect, hope for (too much), or anticipate getting any scholarship money from any school you get off the waitlist/hold list from. From the school I got accepted into (Top 30 school), the letter basically told me that I competed against 20+ students per each seat...most schools have applicant pools that exceed last year by a LARGE percentile...so yeah. Unless you got waitlisted for yield protection (i.e. 172+ AND 3.8+) I doubt you'll be hearing much $$$ from any school that pulls you off the waitlist...Sorry to burst your bubble man, I really hope it wasn't likely but that's how I see it.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”