For WUSTL Applicants

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
najumobi

Re: For WUSTL Applicants

Postby najumobi » Wed Apr 07, 2010 10:40 pm

itsmytime10 wrote:How long are people staying on the waitlist. I just decided to change my date to 5/1/2010.
why that date? that date would probably be the earliest you could come off the waitlist.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Wed Apr 07, 2010 10:42 pm

najumobi wrote:
2013esq wrote:
I got 33k/year and asked for more. They said no. Also, they don't give need-based aid, which is weird. Why did I have to fill out that financial aid application?
students have to fill out the appplication in order to get federal loan aid.

I think he is referring to the school-specific form we had to fill out. The FAFSA is what matters for student loans. I agree, it seems odd that they required us to fill out an extra form if we can't get need-based aid.

itsmytime10

Postby itsmytime10 » Wed Apr 07, 2010 10:47 pm

najumobi wrote:
itsmytime10 wrote:How long are people staying on the waitlist. I just decided to change my date to 5/1/2010.
why that date? that date would probably be the earliest you could come off the waitlist.

That is when i put down my deposit and i need to sign a lease etc etc...i don't want to sign a lease and then be taken off the waitlist.

najumobi

Postby najumobi » Wed Apr 07, 2010 10:55 pm

romothesavior wrote:
najumobi wrote:
2013esq wrote:
I got 33k/year and asked for more. They said no. Also, they don't give need-based aid, which is weird. Why did I have to fill out that financial aid application?

I think he is referring to the school-specific form we had to fill out. The FAFSA is what matters for student loans. I agree, it seems odd that they required us to fill out an extra form if we can't get need-based aid.
ah ic

jackalope11

Postby jackalope11 » Thu Apr 08, 2010 5:39 am

romothesavior wrote:
najumobi wrote:
2013esq wrote:

My favorite part of that form is when it asks how much money you're going to need to pay for law school... I was like, "uh... Aren't YOU supposed to tell ME that?" :)

fl0w

Postby fl0w » Thu Apr 08, 2010 9:50 am

jackalope11 wrote:
fl0w wrote:
mikepb wrote:I don't know if this is the correct thread to post this, but has anyone been successful in negotiating their scholarship offer with Wash U?

i got 38k/yr, but i may try to ask them to up that to a full ride.

i'm actually not joking. I'm extremely grateful for what has been offered, but what's another 5k-ish/yr to them?

:D I was thinking the same thing... I was, like, "Puh-lease WUSTL... Me love you long time... 5k/year, and I'll give you anything you want."

I got told, "No thanks, chump!" But from the scholarship that you're negotiating from, it would appear that they already love you more than me. :mrgreen:

where did you send your request? and how did you phrase it?
feel free to PM me if you don't want to post it publicly.

jackalope11

Postby jackalope11 » Thu Apr 08, 2010 10:41 am

fl0w wrote:
jackalope11 wrote:
fl0w wrote:
mikepb wrote:I don't know if this is the correct thread to post this, but has anyone been successful in negotiating their scholarship offer with Wash U?

i got 38k/yr, but i may try to ask them to up that to a full ride.

i'm actually not joking. I'm extremely grateful for what has been offered, but what's another 5k-ish/yr to them?

:D I was thinking the same thing... I was, like, "Puh-lease WUSTL... Me love you long time... 5k/year, and I'll give you anything you want."

I got told, "No thanks, chump!" But from the scholarship that you're negotiating from, it would appear that they already love you more than me. :mrgreen:

where did you send your request? and how did you phrase it?
feel free to PM me if you don't want to post it publicly.

PM'd ya with the details... Hope it helps!!!

2013esq

Postby 2013esq » Thu Apr 08, 2010 1:14 pm

romothesavior wrote:
najumobi wrote:
2013esq wrote:

I think She is referring to the school-specific form we had to fill out. The FAFSA is what matters for student loans. I agree, it seems odd that they required us to fill out an extra form if we can't get need-based aid.

Yes, this is what I meant. Why not just use FAFSA if it's all merit-based?

najumobi

Postby najumobi » Thu Apr 08, 2010 1:58 pm

2013esq wrote:
romothesavior wrote:
najumobi wrote:
2013esq wrote:

I think She is referring to the school-specific form we had to fill out. The FAFSA is what matters for student loans. I agree, it seems odd that they required us to fill out an extra form if we can't get need-based aid.

Yes, this is what I meant. Why not just use FAFSA if it's all merit-based?
i haven't filled out wustl's finanacial aid application yet. at UNC we filled out fafsa and the CSS profile which flushes out more specific informtion from students/parents....does wustl's application get more student/parents information than FAFSA does?
Last edited by najumobi on Thu Apr 08, 2010 2:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jackalope11

Postby jackalope11 » Thu Apr 08, 2010 2:01 pm

najumobi wrote:i haven't filled out wustl's finanacial aid application yet. at UNC we filled out fafsa and the CSS profile which flushes out more specific informtion from students/parents....is wustl's application get more student/parents information than FAFSA does?

Not that I remember... There might be a few more questions regarding what you believe your expenses might be (still wondering about that myself), but it was still relatively the same as I recall...

theantiscalia

Postby theantiscalia » Thu Apr 08, 2010 2:02 pm

It was pretty easy... the most difficult part is estimating your expenses for next year. I think they use it to give you a larger value than the student budget if your reasons are legit... at least they did for me.

najumobi

Postby najumobi » Thu Apr 08, 2010 2:06 pm

theantiscalia wrote:It was pretty easy... the most difficult part is estimating your expenses for next year. I think they use it to give you a larger value than the student budget if your reasons are legit... at least they did for me.
the estimated cost of attendance, is that for 8 months, 9 months, or 12 months?

jackalope11

Postby jackalope11 » Thu Apr 08, 2010 2:10 pm

theantiscalia wrote:It was pretty easy... the most difficult part is estimating your expenses for next year. I think they use it to give you a larger value than the student budget if your reasons are legit... at least they did for me.

That's nice to know... Hadn't heard that before. Did you hear that from the school itself? Just checking, since I haven't gotten my confirmation back yet.

Thanks for the info!

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Thu Apr 08, 2010 2:12 pm

I think its 12 since most leases for apartments are 12 months, but don't quote me. Plus they estimate $12,000 for room and board, but you would have to live like a king to spend that much on rent, food, and utilities in 9 months.

jackalope11

Postby jackalope11 » Thu Apr 08, 2010 2:16 pm

romothesavior wrote:I think its 12 since most leases for apartments are 12 months, but don't quote me. Plus they estimate $12,000 for room and board, but you would have to live like a king to spend that much on rent, food, and utilities in 9 months.

Or live like Ron Burgundy... Classy.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Thu Apr 08, 2010 2:17 pm

I plan to have many leather bound books and an apartment that smells of rich mahogany.

najumobi

Postby najumobi » Thu Apr 08, 2010 2:20 pm

romothesavior wrote:I plan to have many leather bound books and an apartment that smells of rich mahogany.
ha

finalaspects

Postby finalaspects » Thu Apr 08, 2010 2:20 pm

romothesavior wrote:I think its 12 since most leases for apartments are 12 months, but don't quote me. Plus they estimate $12,000 for room and board, but you would have to live like a king to spend that much on rent, food, and utilities in 9 months.

you don't live in a large city do you? 12,000 a year is nothing in LA, you can rent a shack.... but i guess we're talking about st. louis

fl0w

Postby fl0w » Thu Apr 08, 2010 2:23 pm

i think the estimates actually ARE for 9 months if I recall correctly. I just did this today, so I should remember more clearly than I do.

Also, it really depends on your situation. For someone that has to pay a mortgage on a home while they are attending school in a different city, cost of living is potentially increased by 3x.

NancyBotwin

Postby NancyBotwin » Thu Apr 08, 2010 2:23 pm

Pretty sure that budget is only for 9 months or whatever the duration of the actual academic year is (not including summer terms). $12000 is not by any means a huge amount - it's roughly $1300/month, average rent seems to be between $600-700, the average person spends about $200 on food (not including dining out, bars, coffee, etc), and then you still need to factor in personal expenses (clothes, prescriptions, what-have-you), transportation, utilities, etc.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Thu Apr 08, 2010 2:31 pm

$12,000 isn't a ton, but it is still a lot for St. Louis. I suppose I am not really a good person to speak about this, since I broke my expenses up on a more personal basis and split them into categories (rent, gas, entertainment, food, etc.) rather than leave it as one big lump sum. Still, I anticipate only spending about $6,000 (maybe $7,000 if I live alone) on rent and utilities. Although I suppose it would be much higher for a married person or someone with a family.

As for the 9/12 month thing, it sounds like I stand corrected. I apologize for the mis-speak.

chicoalto0649

Postby chicoalto0649 » Thu Apr 08, 2010 2:47 pm

I would just eat at Pappy's every day. Spend about 20 bucks for the full rack of ribs, and a quarter pound of meat ( I get the brisket) PLUS two sides ( i prefer sweet potato fries and the deep fried corn on the cob) and your good for a whole day, maybe two depending on your appetite.

2013esq

Postby 2013esq » Thu Apr 08, 2010 3:27 pm

I think the budget is for 9 months. They anticipate you will earn $ over the summer or perhaps qualify for a stipend if you do public interest. STL is pretty cheap though and the 12k is just for room and board, with an additional 5k for "personal/misc". Also, students get a free bus pass as part of tuition/fees so transportation isn't really an issue - unless you plan to drive everyday, which I certainly do not.

Gymnast0206

Postby Gymnast0206 » Thu Apr 08, 2010 3:34 pm

Any of you waitlisters hear anything yet?

HondoK

Postby HondoK » Thu Apr 08, 2010 7:49 pm

Gymnast0206 wrote:Any of you waitlisters hear anything yet?

::sigh:: no

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”