For WUSTL Applicants

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
kswiss

Re: For WUSTL Applicants

Postby kswiss » Tue Apr 06, 2010 3:33 pm

chicoalto0649 wrote:
Encyclopedia Brown wrote:
stratocophic wrote:Just speculation, but I'd expect them to wait until after the first deposit deadline for late acceptances as well. End of April/beginning of May would seem to be the most likely time to deal with holds.

finalaspects wrote:someone predicted late april/early may for the held list, and im inclined to agree....

Killjoys. I'm with the Cougar:
JCougar wrote:My guess is that we're going to hear something either tomorrow or Thursday. The first deposit deadline has passed. All they have to do now is get their ducks in a row again and figure out who on the hold list to admit.

Otherwise, this sentence from the e-mail is not only unnecessary, but misleading:
Admitted candidates have until April 1st to submit a deposit to reserve their seats in the entering class. As soon as we know that we have seats available, we will immediately notify those additional applicants to whom we are able to offer admission.

I'm waiting....

--ImageRemoved--

Edit: Dood, you do know that there was a seat deposit deadline of April 15th for those admitted later on in the cycle. I would say they'll wait for that date to pass before they start pulling hold/waitlisted kids.

It depends on how many people that had a 4-1 due date didn't send in. There is a balance between yield and numbers that all the schools are trying to keep, but they would sacrifice yield to keep medians. So if their amount of depositors is lower than they expected, they would probably pull people off the hold list immediately to secure their numbers because they have a good statistical idea of how many will pay on the 15th. If they got enough depositors on the 1st, then we're all waiting until after the 15th, and probably until after 5-1. After 5-1, WUSTL will know exactly how many spots they have open and what #'s those spots need to be, but they (and all schools) don't want to be in the position of resorting to schollies to get people to commit after May 1st, so if their medians are in any danger, we'll hear sooner rather than later. If their medians are currently intact, our chances are much lower. Like I said, a school will sacrifice yield to maintain their medians.

Given the increased apps in relation to applicants, I'd imagine the schools are being somewhat careful this year, and so acceptances off the hold/waitlists are likely (they even admitted this in the hold/waitlist emails). It would probably take a higher than expected amount of depositors to completely torpedo our chances. I'm hoping that that didn't happen.

BTW I'm still sitting at 2/5. I wish someone would look at my app. At least I got their hold email.

JCougar

Postby JCougar » Tue Apr 06, 2010 3:45 pm

Thorough analysis, kswiss.

Let's hear it for some withdrawls!

PS - I hear WUSTL has cooties!

chicoalto0649

Postby chicoalto0649 » Tue Apr 06, 2010 3:48 pm

Im so set on Fordham I don't think I'd be able to accept an offer off of the waitlist. However, I am not sure how I would react if i got an acceptance from WUSTL in the upcoming weeks.

publiuspublicola

Postby publiuspublicola » Tue Apr 06, 2010 8:23 pm

For those waiting on Webster awards, I heard from admissions that they are still reviewing applicants and good news should come out to recipients within the next week.

sibley

Postby sibley » Tue Apr 06, 2010 8:25 pm

chicoalto0649 wrote:Im so set on Fordham I don't think I'd be able to accept an offer off of the waitlist. However, I am not sure how I would react if i got an acceptance from WUSTL in the upcoming weeks.

it's so nuts I got scholly at wustl and wl at fordham and you got in at fordham and wl at wustl. I have no idea how these schools work.

donnamartin

Postby donnamartin » Tue Apr 06, 2010 9:43 pm

HondoK wrote:Does anyone know how many people have been held/waitlisted? I called the admissions office last week to ask, but the person I talked to was extremely unhelpful...

You probably spoke to Krystal Orr. Someone needs to get rid of her. Her attitude is the reason I am having second thoughts about attending WUSTL.

JCougar

Postby JCougar » Tue Apr 06, 2010 10:04 pm

donnamartin wrote:
HondoK wrote:Does anyone know how many people have been held/waitlisted? I called the admissions office last week to ask, but the person I talked to was extremely unhelpful...

You probably spoke to Krystal Orr. Someone needs to get rid of her. Her attitude is the reason I am having second thoughts about attending WUSTL.

That's probably a bad reason to have second thoughts about a school.

sibley

Postby sibley » Tue Apr 06, 2010 10:38 pm

JCougar wrote:
donnamartin wrote:

That's probably a bad reason to have second thoughts about a school.

The woman who was manning the front desk on the day I visited was both friendly and very helpful/informative.

chicoalto0649

Postby chicoalto0649 » Tue Apr 06, 2010 11:22 pm

donnamartin wrote:

Lol....uhh I can't believe you're having problems with a receptionist! Megan Bischoff, the older woman is super friendly and helpful. Just pick up the phone and if it isn't her hang up.

Andrew the Wolverine

Postby Andrew the Wolverine » Tue Apr 06, 2010 11:25 pm

I called today and asked if there were any decisions expected this week. The lady said that this week is most likely too early because of the refundable deposit deadline on April 1.

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Sorry, got a little frustrated when I heard that today. All this waiting is making me seriously consider taking an extra year off and apply way earlier so I can hopefully get some $$ and a decision before the spring starts.

sibley

Postby sibley » Tue Apr 06, 2010 11:42 pm

chicoalto0649 wrote:
donnamartin wrote:

Lol....uhh I can't believe you're having problems with a receptionist! Megan Bischoff, the older woman is super friendly and helpful. Just pick up the phone and if it isn't her hang up.

the woman I spoke to was definitely young... early 30s I'd guess? thin with I think a light color of hair (not positive about the hair, though). friendly, helpful, etc...

donnamartin

Postby donnamartin » Wed Apr 07, 2010 1:16 am

chicoalto0649 wrote:
donnamartin wrote:

The receptionist is cool; it's the director of admissions who was odd on ASD and on the phone.

quadsixm

Postby quadsixm » Wed Apr 07, 2010 1:22 am

Did you mean that it's refundable through May 1?

All this waiting is driving me nuts too. Contemplating withdrawing.

Andrew the Wolverine wrote:I called today and asked if there were any decisions expected this week. The lady said that this week is most likely too early because of the refundable deposit deadline on April 1.

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Sorry, got a little frustrated when I heard that today. All this waiting is making me seriously consider taking an extra year off and apply way earlier so I can hopefully get some $$ and a decision before the spring starts.

sibley

Postby sibley » Wed Apr 07, 2010 7:13 am

quadsixm wrote:Did you mean that it's refundable through May 1?

All this waiting is driving me nuts too. Contemplating withdrawing.

Andrew the Wolverine wrote:I called today and asked if there were any decisions expected this week. The lady said that this week is most likely too early because of the refundable deposit deadline on April 1.

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

I think he (and she) meant because the deadline was april 1st, so they haven't processed all the deposits yet and haven't moved on to the hold and waitlists from the spaces that remain yet. Obviously more spaces will open up after the May 1st refund date, but... well there's administrative crap they have to do still.

empire84

Postby empire84 » Wed Apr 07, 2010 10:19 am

withdrew today. hope my spot and $ goes to someone very deserving. :)

Andrew the Wolverine

Postby Andrew the Wolverine » Wed Apr 07, 2010 10:21 am

empire84 wrote:withdrew today. hope my spot and $ goes to someone very deserving. :)

Can you call them and tell them to give it to me? Thanks a bunch.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Wed Apr 07, 2010 6:51 pm

donnamartin wrote:
chicoalto0649 wrote:
donnamartin wrote:

The receptionist is cool; it's the director of admissions who was odd on ASD and on the phone.

I can't believe they would treat a popular blonde chick like you with disrespect. Those bastards!

mikepb

Postby mikepb » Wed Apr 07, 2010 7:45 pm

I don't know if this is the correct thread to post this, but has anyone been successful in negotiating their scholarship offer with Wash U?

fl0w

Postby fl0w » Wed Apr 07, 2010 7:57 pm

mikepb wrote:I don't know if this is the correct thread to post this, but has anyone been successful in negotiating their scholarship offer with Wash U?

i got 38k/yr, but i may try to ask them to up that to a full ride.

i'm actually not joking. I'm extremely grateful for what has been offered, but what's another 5k-ish/yr to them?

jackalope11

Postby jackalope11 » Wed Apr 07, 2010 8:04 pm

fl0w wrote:
mikepb wrote:I don't know if this is the correct thread to post this, but has anyone been successful in negotiating their scholarship offer with Wash U?

i'm actually not joking. I'm extremely grateful for what has been offered, but what's another 5k-ish/yr to them?

:D I was thinking the same thing... I was, like, "Puh-lease WUSTL... Me love you long time... 5k/year, and I'll give you anything you want."

I got told, "No thanks, chump!" But from the scholarship that you're negotiating from, it would appear that they already love you more than me. :mrgreen:

2013esq

Postby 2013esq » Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:42 pm

jackalope11 wrote:
fl0w wrote:

:D I was thinking the same thing... I was, like, "Puh-lease WUSTL... Me love you long time... 5k/year, and I'll give you anything you want."

I got told, "No thanks, chump!" But from the scholarship that you're negotiating from, it would appear that they already love you more than me. :mrgreen:

I got 33k/year and asked for more. They said no. Also, they don't give need-based aid, which is weird. Why did I have to fill out that financial aid application?

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:44 pm

I have not heard of one person getting an increase upon request. Not looking good...

stratocophic

Postby stratocophic » Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:49 pm

romothesavior wrote:
donnamartin wrote:
chicoalto0649 wrote:
donnamartin wrote:You probably spoke to Krystal Orr. Someone needs to get rid of her. Her attitude is the reason I am having second thoughts about attending WUSTL.

I can't believe they would treat a popular blonde chick like you with disrespect. Those bastards!
LULZ. TLS is like real life: one comment above a certain stupidity/ridiculousness threshold and your ass is branded. Sibley, I'm lookin' at you :wink: jk!

itsmytime10

Postby itsmytime10 » Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:50 pm

How long are people staying on the waitlist. I just decided to change my date to 5/1/2010.

najumobi

Postby najumobi » Wed Apr 07, 2010 10:38 pm

2013esq wrote:
jackalope11 wrote:
fl0w wrote:

I got 33k/year and asked for more. They said no. Also, they don't give need-based aid, which is weird. Why did I have to fill out that financial aid application?
students have to fill out the appplication in order to get federal loan aid.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”