For WUSTL Applicants Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
ticklememauve

Bronze

Re: For WUSTL Applicants

Post by ticklememauve » Thu Apr 01, 2010 8:48 pm

noxhil wrote:I have a question for people who are WL'd/Held

Do the 3/22 and your WL/Hold email show up under the mailings section of status checker?
Nope.

kswiss

Bronze

Post by kswiss » Thu Apr 01, 2010 9:40 pm

JCougar wrote:kswiss, I do think your opinions are sound, even though I am in the same boat as you bias-wise. The fact that people are applying to more schools this year means there physically has to be a lower yield rate this year, unless all extra applications were expended on reach schools where no one got in. I seriously doubt that is the case.

The one mitigating factor is that higher LSAT scores are becoming increasingly less rare due to more people retaking the test. Also, the percentile curve of the actual LSAT seems to be shifting a bit and more of the bell curve seems to be hitting the higher scores. This increase is very small every year, but coupled with the extra retakes fueled by the new policy of most schools taking your highest score, more applicants will have a 167+ to report each year, even if they scored in the 70th percentile the first two times they took the test. Also, there's the simple increase in applicants period, which is up 4% this year. So eventually, these splitter-friendly schools will either be upping their medians or have the opportunity to be more selective with splitters in the future. Perhaps that future is now. :shock:
It probably doesn't matter either way for me, since my GPA is on the low side, though my LSAT is on the high side for WUSTL. I guess with a GPA<25% and an LSAT>75%, it comes down to softs anyway, so all someone really needs is a 168 to not affect 75%. I'm thinking because high LSATs are getting less rare, some schools might make a run at their LSAT #s this cycle. Here's to hoping I guess. Sent a LOCI, we'll see if it makes any difference whatsover. I told them straight up that they'd get my deposit the day I am accepted if accepted, but with tons of other candidates with better numbers than me I doubt it will make a difference.

najumobi

Silver

Post by najumobi » Thu Apr 01, 2010 9:56 pm

kswiss wrote:It probably doesn't matter either way for me, since my GPA is on the low side, though my LSAT is on the high side for WUSTL. I guess with a GPA<25% and an LSAT>75%, it comes down to softs anyway, so all someone really needs is a 168 to not affect 75%. I'm thinking because high LSATs are getting less rare, some schools might make a run at their LSAT #s this cycle. Here's to hoping I guess. Sent a LOCI, we'll see if it makes any difference whatsover. I told them straight up that they'd get my deposit the day I am accepted if accepted, but with tons of other candidates with better numbers than me I doubt it will make a difference.
only school's medians matter. and wustl is one of the easiest places to predict acceptance or rejection based on applicants' numbers. according to lsn of 145 applicants with lsat score of at least a 167 and a gpa below median (3.7) who have received an decision of accepted, rejected, or waitlisted, 134 were accepted, 1 was rejected, and 10 were waitlisted.

wustl seems to pluck off just high lsat, low gpa splitters off their waitlist so you're not in a bad position.

imagine

New

Post by imagine » Thu Apr 01, 2010 10:12 pm

fl0w wrote:
MissLucky wrote:
kswiss wrote:Has anyone sent a LOCI via email? Know who to send it to? I don't want to just send it to the blanket admissions email, but if thats the correct one, then so be it.

This is my last hope in the T20, I'm going to write the LOCI of a lifetime. I've got my rhetorical wrangling shirt on. And theres a good shot that none of it will matter.
do they prefer LOCIs via snail mail or email?
print it on official letterheard.
sign it with a pen.
scan it.
PDF it.
email it.
You mean the personalized stationery my mom sent with me to sleep-away camp? :lol:

kswiss

Bronze

Post by kswiss » Thu Apr 01, 2010 10:21 pm

najumobi wrote:
kswiss wrote:It probably doesn't matter either way for me, since my GPA is on the low side, though my LSAT is on the high side for WUSTL. I guess with a GPA<25% and an LSAT>75%, it comes down to softs anyway, so all someone really needs is a 168 to not affect 75%. I'm thinking because high LSATs are getting less rare, some schools might make a run at their LSAT #s this cycle. Here's to hoping I guess. Sent a LOCI, we'll see if it makes any difference whatsover. I told them straight up that they'd get my deposit the day I am accepted if accepted, but with tons of other candidates with better numbers than me I doubt it will make a difference.
only school's medians matter. and wustl is one of the easiest places to predict acceptance or rejection based on applicants' numbers. according to lsn of 145 applicants with lsat score of at least a 167 and a gpa below median (3.7) who have received an decision of accepted, rejected, or waitlisted, 134 were accepted, 1 was rejected, and 10 were waitlisted.

wustl seems to pluck off just high lsat, low gpa splitters off their waitlist so you're not in a bad position.
Dude you got a killer scholly. Congrats.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

najumobi

Silver

Post by najumobi » Thu Apr 01, 2010 10:29 pm

kswiss wrote:Dude you got a killer scholly. Congrats.
thanks

JCougar

Gold

Post by JCougar » Fri Apr 02, 2010 10:44 am

Boy, this thread is quiet today.

Right now, WUSTL is quietly calculating our fates now that their first seat deposit data is final. They're seeing if they need to fortify their medians any more, or if they have the leeway to pivot and focus more on filling the class based on other factors, whatever they may be (work experience, writing ability, 25th %iles, more diversity, yield rate, etc.).

finalaspects

Gold

Post by finalaspects » Fri Apr 02, 2010 10:55 am

JCougar wrote:Boy, this thread is quiet today.

Right now, WUSTL is quietly calculating our fates now that their first seat deposit data is final. They're seeing if they need to fortify their medians any more, or if they have the leeway to pivot and focus more on filling the class based on other factors, whatever they may be (work experience, writing ability, 25th %iles, more diversity, yield rate, etc.).
i like to think of it as only 2 categories. numbers vs. softs. if they need the numbers they'll pull from the held list. if they don't need the numbers then they'll go for softs (which i consider diversity, work experience, cowboys, etc). with the latter having the chance of accepting people with both numbers below medians and non-urm.

sibley

Gold

Post by sibley » Fri Apr 02, 2010 10:56 am

County Crows' Omaha just told me not to go to WashU.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

chicoalto0649

Silver

Post by chicoalto0649 » Fri Apr 02, 2010 1:25 pm

sibley wrote:County Crows' Omaha just told me not to go to WashU.

Who/what?

finalaspects

Gold

Post by finalaspects » Fri Apr 02, 2010 1:28 pm

chicoalto0649 wrote:

Who/what?
you haven't heard from count crows' omaha? that's a bad sign man...

NU_Jet55

Silver

Post by NU_Jet55 » Fri Apr 02, 2010 1:31 pm

chicoalto0649 wrote:Who/what?
I'm opposed to...I mean +1

nowinGA

Bronze

Post by nowinGA » Fri Apr 02, 2010 1:37 pm

You definitely should not go to the school if you will be unhappy, and from what you have stated here and elsewhere on TLS, you really are not interested in being in St. Louis. Law school is going to be challenging enough and you need to be somewhere where you will be able to focus on your studies and not on what or who is missing. It really is okay to not want to go to WashU...though most here probably wont agree because most here really want to go there.

Go with your gut...it IS, in fact, okay to base your decision on something other than rankings. It truly is. I realize that fact is not always clear in TLS land...but it is okay, and, in your situation, probably preferable. I have heard many, many, many differing views from people all over the legal community. And many of those people would tell you take the greater scholarship money and comfort of being around those you love.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

mazzini

Bronze

Post by mazzini » Fri Apr 02, 2010 1:38 pm

chicoalto0649 wrote:

Who/what?

I think she means the song by the CountING Crows. But it's best not to listen to them anyways =P

sibley

Gold

Post by sibley » Fri Apr 02, 2010 1:50 pm

mazzini wrote:
chicoalto0649 wrote:

Who/what?

I think she means the song by the CountING Crows. But it's best not to listen to them anyways =P
I did mean counting... and come on, they're okay once in a while =)

nowinGA, I appreciate your continued support and kindly advice. I'm experiencing dissonance about the whole situation and am going to have to figure it out pretty darn soon. my best friend is going through the same thing (yale or ut-something, to be near her boyfriend at Baylor... both are far from her hawiian home) so we're absolutely useless to one another. I haven't talked to the boy about it lately... it's something I need to figure out mostly on my own... and he'll tell me to go to the best school. but maybe I should ask my mother. she's been taking our relationship seriously lately, telling me every single thing he does that she doesn't like. she's always been politely neutral in the past.
Last edited by sibley on Fri Apr 02, 2010 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

chicoalto0649

Silver

Post by chicoalto0649 » Fri Apr 02, 2010 1:52 pm

JUST GOT THE CALL!!!! IN OFF THE WAITLIST!!!!!!!!!11

for a class I really wanted at my UG

sibley

Gold

Post by sibley » Fri Apr 02, 2010 1:53 pm

chicoalto0649 wrote:JUST GOT THE CALL!!!! IN OFF THE WAITLIST!!!!!!!!!11

1) congrats... I think! see 2).
2) whatttt?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

MissLucky

Silver

Post by MissLucky » Fri Apr 02, 2010 1:53 pm

u killin me chicoalto

nowinGA

Bronze

Post by nowinGA » Fri Apr 02, 2010 1:54 pm

A call? really?

CONGRATS!

FunkyJD

Silver

Post by FunkyJD » Fri Apr 02, 2010 1:55 pm

FML. Good thing I withdrew yesterday.

Probably was a little hasty with that.

nowinGA

Bronze

Post by nowinGA » Fri Apr 02, 2010 1:57 pm

sibley wrote:
nowinGA, I appreciate your continued support and kindly advice. I'm experiencing dissonance about the whole situation and am going to have to figure it out pretty darn soon. my best friend is going through the same thing (yale or ut-something, to be near her boyfriend at Baylor... both are far from her hawiian home) so we're absolutely useless to one another. I haven't talked to the boy about it lately... it's something I need to figure out mostly on my own... and he'll tell me to go to the best school. but maybe I should ask my mother. she's been taking our relationship seriously lately, telling me every single thing he does that she doesn't like. she's always been politely neutral in the past.
I will say that I made a grad school decision in the past, based on a significant other, that I still regret. It was different and involved leaving school to be closer to him...I was young and dumb and regret it. That said...I am now old(er) and still probably just as dumb in terms of following my heart, so I appreciate your conundrum. I do not think I would do anything different if I could go back, even though I regret what I missed by making the choice. If that makes sense.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

kswiss

Bronze

Post by kswiss » Fri Apr 02, 2010 2:36 pm

He's messing with us.... he just got off the waitlist for a class he really wanted at his UG.

My heart jumped for half a second and I was green with envy for a moment longer when I read the first part, then I relaxed and sighed at your shrewd use of small text.

FunkyJD

Silver

Post by FunkyJD » Fri Apr 02, 2010 2:39 pm

Damn you, chicoalto ... DAMN YOUUUUU!!!!

Don't take advantage of those of us with four eyes. (That be me.)

finalaspects

Gold

Post by finalaspects » Fri Apr 02, 2010 2:40 pm

kswiss wrote:

He's messing with us.... he just got off the waitlist for a class he really wanted at his UG.

My heart jumped for half a second and I was green with envy for a moment longer when I read the first part, then I relaxed and sighed at your shrewd use of small text.
the part that got me all tripped out was that that he got a phone call. thought WUSTL didn't do that so at first i thought they were changing it up.

that and hold list first!!!!!!!! (sorry waitlisters)

imagine

New

Post by imagine » Fri Apr 02, 2010 4:23 pm

Getting close to "that time of day"! :?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”