For WUSTL Applicants

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
najumobi

Re: For WUSTL Applicants

Postby najumobi » Thu Apr 01, 2010 1:53 pm

Unknownsou wrote:I think hold is more like
"I'm a cheap whore, and I know it. I need to get checked out before I let anyone else in."

goodness gracious

smartblonde87

Postby smartblonde87 » Thu Apr 01, 2010 2:07 pm

chicoalto0649 wrote:
ticklememauve wrote:
smartblonde87 wrote:I am opposed to what you just said, as well as the manner in which you said it

Better than the reverse: http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3099/311 ... b752_o.gif

:your attempt at humor is the most laughable thing about your post; sadly, it is not that laughable:

I almost choose that one!

With my avatar, I just want to convey that im down to party (DTP)

traumatized.

I am opposed to what you just said, as well as the manner in which you said it[/quote]

haha thank you chicoalto for being so kind and using the front!

kswiss

Postby kswiss » Thu Apr 01, 2010 2:27 pm

Has anyone sent a LOCI via email? Know who to send it to? I don't want to just send it to the blanket admissions email, but if thats the correct one, then so be it.

This is my last hope in the T20, I'm going to write the LOCI of a lifetime. I've got my rhetorical wrangling shirt on. And theres a good shot that none of it will matter.

ticklememauve

Postby ticklememauve » Thu Apr 01, 2010 2:34 pm

kswiss wrote:Has anyone sent a LOCI via email? Know who to send it to? I don't want to just send it to the blanket admissions email, but if thats the correct one, then so be it.

This is my last hope in the T20, I'm going to write the LOCI of a lifetime. I've got my rhetorical wrangling shirt on. And theres a good shot that none of it will matter.

+1

Okay, the above should be PLUS ONE, but you know . . . April Fool's Day on T-L-S. Gosh.
Last edited by ticklememauve on Thu Apr 01, 2010 3:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

stratocophic

Postby stratocophic » Thu Apr 01, 2010 3:18 pm

kswiss wrote:Has anyone sent a LOCI via email? Know who to send it to? I don't want to just send it to the blanket admissions email, but if thats the correct one, then so be it.

I'd go with Ms. Bolin. She's extremely nice.

MissLucky

Postby MissLucky » Thu Apr 01, 2010 3:48 pm

do they prefer LOCIs via snail mail or email?

fl0w

Postby fl0w » Thu Apr 01, 2010 3:50 pm

MissLucky wrote:

print it on official letterheard.
sign it with a pen.
scan it.
PDF it.
email it.

NU_Jet55

Postby NU_Jet55 » Thu Apr 01, 2010 4:24 pm

fl0w wrote:
MissLucky wrote:

sign it with a pen.
scan it.
PDF it.
email it.

Do most 0-L's have "official letterhead?"

sibley

Postby sibley » Thu Apr 01, 2010 4:25 pm

NU_Jet55 wrote:
fl0w wrote:
MissLucky wrote:

sign it with a pen.
scan it.
PDF it.
email it.

Do most 0 L's have "official letterhead?"

...yeah just email it.

fl0w

Postby fl0w » Thu Apr 01, 2010 4:28 pm

NU_Jet55 wrote:
fl0w wrote:
MissLucky wrote:

sign it with a pen.
scan it.
PDF it.
email it.

Do most 0-L's have "official letterhead?"

hell if i know. I've been out of UG for 5 years, so I have it. If you have it, use it. If not, it doesn't take much effort to use a letterhead template from MS Word.

FunkyJD

Postby FunkyJD » Thu Apr 01, 2010 4:29 pm

NU_Jet55 wrote:Do most 0-L's have "official letterhead?"

Yes; mine says "Student Offices of Funky JD." Subhead: "Austin * Los Angeles * Washington"

NU_Jet55

Postby NU_Jet55 » Thu Apr 01, 2010 4:33 pm

FunkyJD wrote:

Yes; mine says "Student Offices of Funky JD." Subhead: "Austin * Los Angeles * Washington"

Do you superimpose your avatar at any point on the page? If just some old regular "official letterhead" doesn't impress the adcomm, the creativity shown by doing something like that sure will...

FunkyJD

Postby FunkyJD » Thu Apr 01, 2010 4:58 pm

NU_Jet55 wrote:
FunkyJD wrote:

Do you superimpose your avatar at any point on the page? If just some old regular "official letterhead" doesn't impress the adcomm, the creativity shown by doing something like that sure will...

No, but Joan Holloway delivers my notes to adcomms in person. Better than any other soft you can have, believe me. :wink:

Unfortunately for me and WUSTL, Miss Holloway was detained on my behalf in South Bend, Indiana, and was forced to cancel her appointment on my behalf in St. Louis. Thus in at ND, WL'd at WUSTL.

finalaspects

Postby finalaspects » Thu Apr 01, 2010 5:31 pm

any hold's hear anything today? maybe tomorrow? although technically they would need to recalculate how their medians look after seeing which numbers threw in deposits... then figure out what numbers they need, which might take a week or so at the speed that these law schools operate.

NU_Jet55

Postby NU_Jet55 » Thu Apr 01, 2010 5:43 pm

What will 4:45 pm CST bring today???

finalaspects

Postby finalaspects » Thu Apr 01, 2010 5:47 pm

NU_Jet55 wrote:What will 4:45 pm CST bring today???

betting nothing until late next week or early 2 weeks later.

or if worse comes to worse, they fill up the class already without needing to use the hold list or the waitlist.... and won't tell us until after the 2nd deposit deadline (non-refundable one)

NU_Jet55

Postby NU_Jet55 » Thu Apr 01, 2010 5:48 pm

finalaspects wrote:
NU_Jet55 wrote:What will 4:45 pm CST bring today???

betting nothing until late next week or early 2 weeks later.

or if worse comes to worse, they fill up the class already without needing to use the hold list or the waitlist.... and won't tell us until after the 2nd deposit deadline (non-refundable one)

Booooo. I didn't get anything :(

kswiss

Postby kswiss » Thu Apr 01, 2010 6:07 pm

I'm actually thinking that they might be pretty agressive in pulling people from the held/WL pretty soon. Because applications are up this year in higher proportion to applicants, holds/WL might be a good bet for some schools. Adcomms can probably identify which applicants are likely to attend if admitted, so waiting just allows potential "sure-thing" applicants to get better offers/start making fall plans. It seems like its in the school's best interests to act ASAP to insure their medians and make sure they don't have get aggressive at the end of May to try to win candidates back.

Again, this is heavily influenced by the fact that I'm held and would love a decision soon either way.

finalaspects

Postby finalaspects » Thu Apr 01, 2010 6:11 pm

kswiss wrote:I'm actually thinking that they might be pretty agressive in pulling people from the held/WL pretty soon. Because applications are up this year in higher proportion to applicants, holds/WL might be a good bet for some schools. Adcomms can probably identify which applicants are likely to attend if admitted, so waiting just allows potential "sure-thing" applicants to get better offers/start making fall plans. It seems like its in the school's best interests to act ASAP to insure their medians and make sure they don't have get aggressive at the end of May to try to win candidates back.

Again, this is heavily influenced by the fact that I'm held and would love a decision soon either way.

well im sure WUSTL accepted more people then that they actually have room for like most schools. so if a lot of people turn in their deposits they'll meet their median and already be full. they can only be aggressive if a lot of people withdraw which is why i think they're making us wait until after the deadline today. but i think it'll take a week or two to re-compile the medians based on those who accept the offers.

jks289

Postby jks289 » Thu Apr 01, 2010 6:16 pm

finalaspects wrote:
kswiss wrote:I'm actually thinking that they might be pretty agressive in pulling people from the held/WL pretty soon. Because applications are up this year in higher proportion to applicants, holds/WL might be a good bet for some schools. Adcomms can probably identify which applicants are likely to attend if admitted, so waiting just allows potential "sure-thing" applicants to get better offers/start making fall plans. It seems like its in the school's best interests to act ASAP to insure their medians and make sure they don't have get aggressive at the end of May to try to win candidates back.

well im sure WUSTL accepted more people then that they actually have room for like most schools. so if a lot of people turn in their deposits they'll meet their median and already be full. they can only be aggressive if a lot of people withdraw which is why i think they're making us wait until after the deadline today. but i think it'll take a week or two to re-compile the medians based on those who accept the offers.

I think the refundable deposits work against this. I for one, put down a deposit even though I am not 100% on attending. I haven't even heard from all my schools, and haven't visited my other contender (which has a 4/15) deadline. You may see more movement after May 1st.

finalaspects

Postby finalaspects » Thu Apr 01, 2010 6:17 pm

jks289 wrote:
finalaspects wrote:

I think the refundable deposits work against this. I for one, put down a deposit even though I am not 100% on attending. I haven't even heard from all my schools, and haven't visited my other contender (which has a 4/15) deadline. You may see more movement after May 1st.

agreed. we might be in for a long wait.

kswiss

Postby kswiss » Thu Apr 01, 2010 6:19 pm

finalaspects wrote:

You're probably right, but it seems like they would know their medians the next day. If they use SPSS or even excel, all they have to do is delete the entries that don't send in their deposits and they'll have new data in seconds. Tomorrow someone will do 10 minutes of data file editing and they'll know exactly where they stand.

I'm sure its more complicated than that, but 2 weeks seems a little long. There are a bunch of schools with seat deposits due on the 15th, and I'd imagine that if they have seats available, they'd like to get a lot of them filled before students are forced to send money to other schools.

All of this assumes that they will have spots available tomorrow. I'm hoping that the increase in applications this year caused schools to plan on using the hold and WL more, which seems to be the case from the text of the email.

Again, my opinions are heavily influenced by my desire to be admitted, and are influenced very little by data.

Encyclopedia Brown

Postby Encyclopedia Brown » Thu Apr 01, 2010 6:22 pm

<----totally on board with everything kswiss is saying, for exactly the same reasons.

JCougar

Postby JCougar » Thu Apr 01, 2010 6:35 pm

kswiss, I do think your opinions are sound, even though I am in the same boat as you bias-wise. The fact that people are applying to more schools this year means there physically has to be a lower yield rate this year, unless all extra applications were expended on reach schools where no one got in. I seriously doubt that is the case.

The one mitigating factor is that higher LSAT scores are becoming increasingly less rare due to more people retaking the test. Also, the percentile curve of the actual LSAT seems to be shifting a bit and more of the bell curve seems to be hitting the higher scores. This increase is very small every year, but coupled with the extra retakes fueled by the new policy of most schools taking your highest score, more applicants will have a 167+ to report each year, even if they scored in the 70th percentile the first two times they took the test. Also, there's the simple increase in applicants period, which is up 4% this year. So eventually, these splitter-friendly schools will either be upping their medians or have the opportunity to be more selective with splitters in the future. Perhaps that future is now. :shock:

noxhil

Postby noxhil » Thu Apr 01, 2010 8:44 pm

Last edited by noxhil on Wed Apr 04, 2012 12:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”