For WUSTL Applicants

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
opus127

Re: For WUSTL Applicants

Postby opus127 » Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:14 pm

(Sorry if this question has come up before.) I just noticed my application complete date now says 1/8/2010, and this is at least the second time the date has changed. Does there seem to be a general pattern for date changes at WUSTL?
Thanks.

camstant

Postby camstant » Fri Jan 08, 2010 4:47 pm

This was in December, but after my date was updated i recieved my email 4 or 5 days later.

On another note, why would they wait until MARCH to send out scholarship info?? Is it just me or does anyone else want to be narrowing down decisions before then... especially those of us accepted over a month ago!

annabell

Postby annabell » Fri Jan 08, 2010 5:35 pm

camstant wrote:This was in December, but after my date was updated i recieved my email 4 or 5 days later.

On another note, why would they wait until MARCH to send out scholarship info?? Is it just me or does anyone else want to be narrowing down decisions before then... especially those of us accepted over a month ago!

Agreed. Seems like most of my other acceptances say they send them out in February.

opus127

Postby opus127 » Fri Jan 08, 2010 6:15 pm

camstant wrote:This was in December, but after my date was updated i recieved my email 4 or 5 days later.

Well, I'm glad I didn't have to wait that long -- just got the acceptance e-mail! :D The e-mail also mentioned being under consideration for the Scholars in Law award -- guess I'll have to do my research and see how that works. . .

savesthedayajb

Postby savesthedayajb » Fri Jan 08, 2010 6:18 pm

eas331 wrote:

Well, I'm glad I didn't have to wait that long -- just got the acceptance e-mail! :D The e-mail also mentioned being under consideration for the Scholars in Law award -- guess I'll have to do my research and see how that works. . .

Nice! so updated complete date means decision soon to be rendered?

krispykitten

Postby krispykitten » Fri Jan 08, 2010 6:28 pm

Last edited by krispykitten on Thu Jan 20, 2011 5:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

savesthedayajb

Postby savesthedayajb » Fri Jan 08, 2010 6:29 pm

krispykitten wrote:IN!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

Looks like we got a new wave. Congratulations!

danidancer

Postby danidancer » Sat Jan 09, 2010 1:21 pm

krispykitten wrote:IN!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

Congrats, Krispy!

krispykitten

Postby krispykitten » Sun Jan 10, 2010 3:00 am

Last edited by krispykitten on Thu Jan 20, 2011 5:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lawrence

Postby Lawrence » Sun Jan 10, 2010 6:14 am

Hey everybody, I'm a 1L at WUSTL. I don't know too much about the admissions process beyond my experience last year, but I can probably answer some questions about it. I'd also be more than happy to answer questions about the school you guys might have.

FunkyJD

Postby FunkyJD » Sun Jan 10, 2010 12:43 pm

Lawrence wrote:Hey everybody, I'm a 1L at WUSTL. I don't know too much about the admissions process beyond my experience last year, but I can probably answer some questions about it. I'd also be more than happy to answer questions about the school you guys might have.

Hi Lawrence. I have a few questions:

How long did it take you to go from complete to a decision?

And what sold you on going to WUSTL, versus other choices you had? Now that you're there, what are some pros and cons of the school?

Favorite course and professor? Why?

And how cool is A-B Hall? I hear it's really nice.

poprox

Postby poprox » Mon Jan 11, 2010 2:18 pm

Anheuser Busch Hall is pretty awesome - I've been there several times. There's a nice courtyard out front too.

najumobi

Postby najumobi » Mon Jan 11, 2010 6:57 pm

WUSTL Admitted Students Bulletin Board is up.

CyLaw

Postby CyLaw » Mon Jan 11, 2010 6:59 pm

najumobi wrote:WUSTL Admitted Students Bulletin Board is up.

Yeah. Anyone know when scholarships should come out?

najumobi

Postby najumobi » Mon Jan 11, 2010 7:00 pm

CyLaw wrote:

early-mid march....a couple weeks prior to the final admitted students day. speaking of admitted students day(s), did anyone else get the email mentioning $200 travel reimbursement...this is wonderful. i thought it was only $100.

CyLaw

Postby CyLaw » Mon Jan 11, 2010 7:08 pm

najumobi wrote:
CyLaw wrote:

early-mid march....a couple weeks prior to the final admitted students day. speaking of admitted students day(s), did anyone else get the email mentioning $200 travel reimbursement...this is wonderful. i thought it was only $100.

I also got that, but would have missed it if you didn't point that out for me. Thanks.

Joga Bonito

Postby Joga Bonito » Mon Jan 11, 2010 7:09 pm

najumobi wrote:
CyLaw wrote:

I did too, not to bad.

HAMBONE

Postby HAMBONE » Mon Jan 11, 2010 7:10 pm

FunkyJD wrote:
Lawrence wrote:Hey everybody, I'm a 1L at WUSTL. I don't know too much about the admissions process beyond my experience last year, but I can probably answer some questions about it. I'd also be more than happy to answer questions about the school you guys might have.

And what sold you on going to WUSTL, versus other choices you had? Now that you're there, what are some pros and cons of the school?

I am also a 1L here and will try to answer any questions you guys might have about the school

I applied during the first week of Jan and was admitted in March with a scholarship. I believe the scholarship offer came a week after the acceptance which I was able to negotiate and got them to double the initial offer

I decided on WUSTL mostly due to the money they offered me and I wanted to stay in the midwest after graduation. I turned down GULC, GW, UIUC, UMN etc. The campus and specifically the law school building certainly helped the decision. Even though I avoid the law library like the plague, the few times I have been there I thought it was beautiful. The happy hour every friday at the law school is also a great perk to attending WUSTL.

For first semester, contracts was my favorite class mostly because of the professor (Baker) He had a very economic heavy slant which I loved.
Last edited by HAMBONE on Mon Jan 11, 2010 7:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Helmholtz

Postby Helmholtz » Mon Jan 11, 2010 7:12 pm

Anybody planning on going to an ASD?

Joga Bonito

Postby Joga Bonito » Mon Jan 11, 2010 7:17 pm

Helmholtz wrote:Anybody planning on going to an ASD?

I think I'm gonna go but not sure what day yet, I'll have to use one of my vacation days to go.
Last edited by Joga Bonito on Mon Jan 11, 2010 7:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hopefullawstudent

Postby Hopefullawstudent » Mon Jan 11, 2010 7:20 pm

Seat deposit due April 1st. Is this pretty standard? Seems a bit early, but otherwise understandable.

wired

Postby wired » Mon Jan 11, 2010 7:22 pm

Hopefullawstudent wrote:Seat deposit due April 1st. Is this pretty standard? Seems a bit early, but otherwise understandable.

Fairly consistent from what I have seen. I think all the schools that have accepted me have their first deposit due by April 1st.

HAMBONE

Postby HAMBONE » Mon Jan 11, 2010 7:24 pm

wired wrote:
Hopefullawstudent wrote:Seat deposit due April 1st. Is this pretty standard? Seems a bit early, but otherwise understandable.

Fairly consistent from what I have seen. I think all the schools that have accepted me have their first deposit due by April 1st.

I believe the first fee deposit was refundable until May 1st last year.

poprox

Postby poprox » Mon Jan 11, 2010 7:47 pm

I'm in (I guess). I got the email about admitted students day(s), and an offer to reimburse airfare/hotel up to $200. No acceptance email yet, status checker still says complete. I don't know why they're offering me a travel stipend - I wrote a short essay about how I'm a WashU undergrad and loved my time there, also have permanent and mailing addresses in St. Louis. I swear they didn't even care about my app or bother to read it, at least that's the impression they're sending. This is just the latest issue in a string of problems I've had with them since I applied, don't care to recap but you can search my posts if you want a good laugh.

I'm still baffled, since one of my friends went there and says they were great, plus I work with a couple of recent law grads from there who say the same. Congrats to everyone else, and I hope you all have better experiences with WashU Law than I have. I might just see some of you at the ASD in February, since my airfare and hotel are free :lol:

Lawrence

Postby Lawrence » Mon Jan 11, 2010 8:04 pm

FunkyJD wrote:

I want to say it took about 6-7 weeks for me to get a decision after going complete though it certainly felt like a lot longer at the time!

Like a lot of other people at Wash U scholarship money was a big factor. Although, I did have another offer in the top 20 that was offering me 30,000 more that I turned down. I have family in the area though which was a big factor and the other school (Minnesota) was just not in an area I could see myself living for 3 years, let alone where I thought I would want to end up practicing. Besides that, I just got a very good feeling from the school when I visited. The facilities where top notch and all the people were welcoming and friendly. After a semester here I'm comfortable saying that is just what the school is like and it isn't an act put on for visitors.

Not really sure on the favorite course but I will second Baker as being my favorite professor. Very good teacher who at the same time kept me in tears (laughing) most of the semester.

And AB Hall is amazing. For me coming from a large state school, there is just no comparison.Everyone says it but I think you really need to visit and see it to appreciate just how nice everything is.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”