For WUSTL Applicants

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
ticklememauve

Re: For WUSTL Applicants

Postby ticklememauve » Wed Mar 31, 2010 11:29 pm

All right, my fellow WLers who are interested in the TLP. I suddenly remembered that the website says both admitted and WLed students can apply. http://law.wustl.edu/tlp/

TLP application information will be distributed to all admitted and wait-listed students in the Spring of 2010.

When do we get this information then? Haha. I'll go ahead and apply regardless, but I'm just curious.

JCougar

Postby JCougar » Wed Mar 31, 2010 11:40 pm

Who knows, the entire hold list could get in by Friday if no one sends in their deposits tomorrow. Or none of us could get in because everyone sends deposits in. Or we all get in in May because a ton of people want their refundable $200 back. Or, they get plenty of people above LSAT median to matriculate, and simply refuse to take anymore LSAT splitters from the hold list, so they focus on GPA and take all the GPA splitters off both the hold list and the waitlist. Or maybe they decide they want to raise their 25th percentile numbers and admit semi-splitters only. Or maybe they decide their medians are fine and want to screen the remaining pool for writing ability and look for great personal statements out of the people left. Or maybe they admit people with work experience and try to boost their placement numbers the way Northwestern does.

Nobody knows what they're going to do right now, even perhaps WUSTL, until at least that first deposit deadline passes. All we can really tell is that WUSTL has a group of people they want to feel slightly more optimistic about their chances of admission (thus probably lessening their likelihood of withdrawing).

kswiss

Postby kswiss » Thu Apr 01, 2010 12:22 am

I was thinking about WUSTL's admissions practices today and, while annoying for applicants, is a pretty ballsy strategy. It makes me kind of like them. Since they are "splitter friendly" they are targeting students who are reaching for the T14, and those who have safeties + schollies in the 25-50 range. That's got to be a hard determination: "will this student take our scholarship, or go to UVA or GULC for sticker," or "will this student pay sticker here over full ride to Iowa or UW?"

I'm not surprised to see some evidence of YP. People that are at both 75%s will probably get into a better school, and this high in the rankings, a difference of 5 in the rankings might really both worth sticker v scholarship. I'm actually a little surprised that they don't have a horrible yield. It seems like one of these years, there will be an inordinate amount of withdraws and their medians will be threatened.

I hope its this year, because I would really like to get in.

wizoz

Postby wizoz » Thu Apr 01, 2010 9:52 am

finalaspects wrote:
wizoz wrote:If WUSTL works like I've seen an admissions office work, then holds are to cover medians. Once medians are covered, then I've see softs at times taking the lead. For example, 1 guy got into this school I worked at because he was a cowboy. His scores were terrible but just because he was a cowboy and could add to the diversity then he was taken off the waitlist even though there were holds and files yet to be reviewed.

And, some waitlists are definite rejects but are waitlisted as a courtesy. It's the admissions office's way of saying, "hey, you put forth a good effort" and so will get rejected eventually even if seats are open. Pointless, I know...but it is done.

But all in all, you're in a better position than a waitlist...but I wouldn't take too much comfort in that.

that makes sense. after medians are covered they can look at other factors... but until medians are covered holds have priority and then its all up in the air. also was this ivy league admissions thing for a lawl skool? lawl skool's 25% numbers also affect the rankings so they'll go further than undergrads.

i think waitlisting someone just because of a good effort is even more cruel because it might give the applicant an idea of false hope. they should not do this. should only be waitlisted if they have a chance of getting accepted even if its very low, such as for some reason no one turned in their deposit.

sadly its the only thing left to give us comfort...

I agree with you that it's a bit cruel but usually the intention is not. The courtesy waitlist usually happens when like just 1 person on the committee falls in love with an applicant and so as a compromise then everyone else on the committee just says fine..let's just waitlist this person. It happened a lot where I was. So, they aren't doing it maliciously and I'm sorry if I made it come across that way.

And, it was not law school admissions but to your point, this school was very concerned about their medians. Does anyone know of any ivy league schools in any field (law, business, medical, etc.) where rankings didn't matter? I am not sure.

On an entirely separate note (and I'm not even going to take the time to appropriately form a transition), I noticed someone edited my quote. Really, is that necessary? I mean, really?

Final Aspects...I realize (from LSN) that you've had a particularly rough cycle so I especially wish you the best. Your numbers are good so there's probably something in your application that is not sitting well with committees. If I were you, I'd look over my app and see if I can swap out any parts that you suspect might be hurting you. Your application may or may have not have yet been read. If someone sends in an updated essay, for instance, they'd just entirely replace it in the file...so the reader never sees the original. I do not know if WUSTL does this so again I'm referencing my 1 experience.

Oh and at this point in the game, the admissions committee usually starts thinking about what the class will really look like (not just in terms of numbers). That's why as they are going through the hold pile...they are comparing it to the waitlists and considering those already admitted. So it's not a linear process like let us read through all the holds and then let's look at the waitlist. It's more like let us discuss Final Aspects' application and let's recall this other guy on the waitlist with this similar experience. Why should we accept this one person over another? Who would I want to have as a classmate? If we accept these 10 people, how are our percentiles affected? So the comparisons go back and forth among applicants a lot more than in the beginning when apps were trickling in and they had fewer ppl to compare you to.

Ok, I'm done. I wanted to help and not to make any1 feel uncomfortable or get extra nervous. So, I'm gonna stop writing on this topic. Besides, I like the funny theories you guys come up with. Take care!

MissLucky

Postby MissLucky » Thu Apr 01, 2010 10:07 am

after submitting my "Remain on waitlist" form, I didnt get any sort of verification email. Has that been the case for everyone?

Unknownsou

Postby Unknownsou » Thu Apr 01, 2010 10:13 am

I didn't get a verification for the hold list, either. I hope I clicked the right button.

I wonder if WashU will accept us today as a joke.

Andrew the Wolverine

Postby Andrew the Wolverine » Thu Apr 01, 2010 10:15 am

I just called the admissions office to ask for a translation of the "hold" email. She said that there is no hierarchy as far as the waitlist and hold people are concerned. Neither list is ranked, and neither group will get preference over the other. This contradicts what I, and some other people, thought about the "hold" being a little better than the WL, but the lady told me that's not right. Just thought I'd throw that out there.

sibley

Postby sibley » Thu Apr 01, 2010 10:17 am

Andrew the Wolverine wrote:I just called the admissions office to ask for a translation of the "hold" email. She said that there is no hierarchy as far as the waitlist and hold people are concerned. Neither list is ranked, and neither group will get preference over the other. This contradicts what I, and some other people, thought about the "hold" being a little better than the WL, but the lady told me that's not right. Just thought I'd throw that out there.

well we can at least be sure that hold people will get a decision sooner than WL people (though it could be a WL)... since they said so in the email

FunkyJD

Postby FunkyJD » Thu Apr 01, 2010 10:33 am

I loved the idea of WUSTL ... but can't justify staying on a waitlist for a non-T14/non-school named Texas that's $64k/yr, and will probably bogart much in the way of free money from me even if I do slip in off of the WL. I'd rather ride the UT and Virginia's WLs ... so "au revoir, les enfants." And by les enfants, I mean friends, Romans, and fellow WUSTL waitlisted/held peoples.

Withdrawing commencing ........

finalaspects

Postby finalaspects » Thu Apr 01, 2010 10:46 am

Andrew the Wolverine wrote:I just called the admissions office to ask for a translation of the "hold" email. She said that there is no hierarchy as far as the waitlist and hold people are concerned. Neither list is ranked, and neither group will get preference over the other. This contradicts what I, and some other people, thought about the "hold" being a little better than the WL, but the lady told me that's not right. Just thought I'd throw that out there.

bet she couldn't have answered the reason for having two lists, or the point of making sure the letter had distinct differences?

stnether

Postby stnether » Thu Apr 01, 2010 11:11 am

I just don't understand why they didn't put out these holds/waitlists earlier in the cycle. Doesn't it still send the same message to the applicant as not giving a response, except without pissing a bunch of people off? I always thought that was the purpose of the WL, to tell the applicant to wait until an acceptance or rejection could be made.

finalaspects

Postby finalaspects » Thu Apr 01, 2010 11:41 am

stnether wrote:I just don't understand why they didn't put out these holds/waitlists earlier in the cycle. Doesn't it still send the same message to the applicant as not giving a response, except without pissing a bunch of people off? I always thought that was the purpose of the WL, to tell the applicant to wait until an acceptance or rejection could be made.

apparently the WL is used in many different ways.

1. WL might be used to not make a student "not feel bad" the person who tried hard, but will never get accepted.
2. WL might be used to YP a candidate to see if they really want to attend or it was just a safety school for them.
3. WL might be used because the school is hoping that other better applicants accept the offer, but just in case they don't, they will put people on the WL. just in case the better candidates withdraw. (kind of like "you're our second choice applicant")

noxhil

Postby noxhil » Thu Apr 01, 2010 12:19 pm

'
Last edited by noxhil on Wed Apr 04, 2012 12:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

colforbin

Postby colforbin » Thu Apr 01, 2010 12:20 pm

I still have no decision. Applied in December, update on 3.1, and nothing since. I just called the admissions office and they said they still have some files to review and expect to admit more students (I'm taking this with a grain of salt).

This whole process is just frustrating. Why not just reject me on Monday with everyone else? Anyone else with me?

noxhil

Postby noxhil » Thu Apr 01, 2010 12:23 pm

/
Last edited by noxhil on Wed Apr 04, 2012 12:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

bfinlayson

Postby bfinlayson » Thu Apr 01, 2010 12:25 pm

i just withdrew and turned down 114k...so i hope someone has a fat scholly headed their way this week! :)

colforbin

Postby colforbin » Thu Apr 01, 2010 12:26 pm

noxhil wrote:
colforbin wrote:I still have no decision. Applied in December, update on 3.1, and nothing since. I just called the admissions office and they said they still have some files to review and expect to admit more students (I'm taking this with a grain of salt).

This whole process is just frustrating. Why not just reject me on Monday with everyone else? Anyone else with me?

If you read the thread there are others with no decision at all like you. If your post history is accurate and you are a reverse splitter (for WashU) you might not be rejected, but I'm thinking that for those with no decision (us) it is probably a soft reject. (borderline WL/reject? ugh)

That's sort of my feeling too. But I can handle a reject. In fact, I'm getting used to it from all of my "reach" schools. So just let me know what's up, Wash U. That's all.

Andrew the Wolverine

Postby Andrew the Wolverine » Thu Apr 01, 2010 12:26 pm

Can someone explain what the difference is between a "soft reject" and whatever other types of rejections there are?

noxhil

Postby noxhil » Thu Apr 01, 2010 12:35 pm

Last edited by noxhil on Wed Apr 04, 2012 12:35 am, edited 2 times in total.

jks289

Postby jks289 » Thu Apr 01, 2010 12:37 pm

Andrew the Wolverine wrote:Can someone explain what the difference is between a "soft reject" and whatever other types of rejections there are?

WL with no hope of getting off is a "soft rejection." It doesn't hurt quite as bad as the ding, but at the end of the day you get the same outcome. Some schools are known for having WLs that never ever move (UCLA and Duke for example) so when you get the WL it is a soft rejection.

Stephanie13

Postby Stephanie13 » Thu Apr 01, 2010 12:49 pm

Sorry guys, I know this thread right now is geared toward the waitlist/hold questions but I was wondering if anyone has tried to negotiate their scholly? I emailed them a couple days ago about it and haven't received confirmation that they've received the email. Is this usual? Am I just being too anxious?

sibley

Postby sibley » Thu Apr 01, 2010 1:00 pm

Stephanie13 wrote:Sorry guys, I know this thread right now is geared toward the waitlist/hold questions but I was wondering if anyone has tried to negotiate their scholly? I emailed them a couple days ago about it and haven't received confirmation that they've received the email. Is this usual? Am I just being too anxious?

I'm considering it... but I don't have much hope. The most I have to compare it to is 24k at school ranked 30th.

jks289

Postby jks289 » Thu Apr 01, 2010 1:10 pm

Stephanie13 wrote:Sorry guys, I know this thread right now is geared toward the waitlist/hold questions but I was wondering if anyone has tried to negotiate their scholly? I emailed them a couple days ago about it and haven't received confirmation that they've received the email. Is this usual? Am I just being too anxious?

I got a sort of form email response a week later or so saying they were hopeful that they would be able to increase my award but wouldn't know until after the deposit deadline (today).

Stephanie13

Postby Stephanie13 » Thu Apr 01, 2010 1:14 pm

jks289 wrote:

I got a sort of form email response a week later or so saying they were hopeful that they would be able to increase my award but wouldn't know until after the deposit deadline (today).

Ok thanks, I just wasn't sure how long after a response to my email would come. I did talk to someone at the ASD who said that they were also going to reconsider his scholarship in the first couple of weeks of April, so I hope they reply with the same response to me.

Unknownsou

Postby Unknownsou » Thu Apr 01, 2010 1:17 pm

noxhil wrote:
Andrew the Wolverine wrote:Can someone explain what the difference is between a "soft reject" and whatever other types of rejections there are?

"Hey do you want to grab dinner some time?"
"No"

"Maybe we can grab coffee?"
"Uhh, maybe if I have time, but I'm really busy right now. I'll see you around"

Edit:
WL
"Maybe. I'll call you if I'm free"

Hold:
"I don't know what my schedule is like"

I think hold is more like
"I'm a cheap whore, and I know it. I need to get checked out before I let anyone else in."

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”