For WUSTL Applicants

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
stratocophic

Re: For WUSTL Applicants

Postby stratocophic » Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:15 am

romothesavior wrote:
JCougar wrote:
ruleser wrote:
JCougar wrote:Holy smokes...with that LSAT?

The LSAC GPA is below one cut off for a lot of schools and very possibly the reason...

Eeep. So is mine, and I haven't heard anything yet...

I have a feeling I may have to ride out a ton of waitlists this year, thanks to my late applications. But then again, retaking the LSAT in February was worth it. Wish I could have had this score in October, though.

Anyone know how much WUSTL apps are up this year? Seems like a lot of TLSers are really interested in it, so I'm curious if this is representative of a trend.

Very true. I could see the number of apps being way up because it seems to be the most reliably attainable (if you have the numbers) T20 school, maybe even the most reliable T25 school. Hasn't been completely true this cycle, but I'm hoping they redeem themselves and let in Encyclopedia and the other 2/3 splitters. It's a matter of principle and solidarity; if a splitter can't rely on WUSTL, what can we rely on?

sibley

Postby sibley » Wed Mar 31, 2010 8:48 am

romothesavior wrote:
sibley wrote:
JCougar wrote:
Andrew the Wolverine wrote:You can't tell anything from one rejection. They rejected a couple people above median in previous years, as well.

he also had a bad day with gw. it could be a super late application or some issue in the app.

Sibley, how was your visit?

I'm a little hesitant to talk about it after all the dings yesterday, but maybe they can find something they won't like in it. Or... just don't read =/

It was really good. They have hammocks. I was hoping to not like it because it's nowhere near my boyfriend and the weather isn't good enough to make me not care. But everyone seemed to have jobs (aka the one 2L I talked to who was becoming editor of law review... she was our tour guide and didn't tell us this til a classmate outted here... has an internship with the DOJ this summer, and the 3L I talked to has a job in NYC lined up), the campus was gorgeous (the good weather didn't hurt), the class I sat in on had me entertained for 80% of it despite not knowing the material being discussed (and the prof was funny... he called on this kid, saw he was wearing a cubs shirt, called on someone else instead... then went back to the cubs kid so the rest of the class didn't start wearing cubs shirts). The kids in the class were writing emails/etc during class but I feel like that happens everywhere and they weren't talking or anything like that. The facilities were nice (I mentioned the hammocks... they also have new architecture in the old style so it's gorgeous but not grody, and they have a fireplace with leather couches, and etc). The campus is huge and I only explored the law building and the village or whatever it's called, where they gave me a visitor meal pass (I got coconut curry stir fry which was a bit bland but I guess my own fault as there were plenty of things to add to it and I only added that green grassy stuff).. the meal options were great. The only real issue is that everyone has the same lunch time (there are no classes from 12-1) so it could get super backed up at that time, and the student commons area gets really crowded... but it's kinda nice too. you actually have a chance to see your friends without much effort. Oh. So there are hammocks, and there's a fireplace, and there's a SWIMMING POOL. just hanging out right in the middle of the campus! just chillin over there. and I saw some girls sun bathing but not by the pool, just in bikinis randomly outside of the law school pretty much. the lockers they have are nice, the facilities are nice, the train works but not as frequently as nyc... dunno how the other profs are but they seem to have an open door policy (don't mind if you show up not at office hours)... it was a little culture shock for me. I'm not used to so many middle-of-america people and so much talk about kansas and ohio law. I wonder if all the classes get their material from the surrounding states. I guess it makes sense... uh... any questions?

just wanted to add that I wasn't really interested before I visited. My intention in visiting was to have something to compare other schools to and to make sure I considered all my options. Before I left I got a lecture from my boyfriend about keeping an open mind. And when I finally got to St Louis I considered just hanging around the airport all day then going home... I was very tired.
Last edited by sibley on Wed Mar 31, 2010 9:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

mazzini

Postby mazzini » Wed Mar 31, 2010 8:58 am

Sounds great! Well, everything except for the Kansas/Ohio law focus. I'm from Colorado so I don't think it will be too huge a culture shock for me. Anyhow, I am visiting next friday and am very excited. Thanks for the updates Sibley!

jumpropeck

Postby jumpropeck » Wed Mar 31, 2010 9:01 am

Thanks for the updates -- it sounds like you enjoyed yourself!

sibley

Postby sibley » Wed Mar 31, 2010 9:02 am

jumpropeck wrote:Thanks for the updates -- it sounds like you enjoyed yourself!

I did. I'm so mad, but it just topped Cardozo on my list. ...I will never see my boyfriend again.
Sorry for the rambles =)

PoliticalJunkie

Postby PoliticalJunkie » Wed Mar 31, 2010 9:06 am

Rejected :roll:

Wisc and Temple are left.....

sibley

Postby sibley » Wed Mar 31, 2010 9:07 am

PoliticalJunkie wrote:Rejected :roll:

sorry =( was it today or last night? good luck completing the cycle!

chicoalto0649

Postby chicoalto0649 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:39 am

sibley wrote:

I visited twice and never saw the hammocks! Anyway, the campus/school makes you feel so...I dunno....cozy. Plus everyone there is way nice. If it came down to here and Fordham I would have such a decision to make. They're like two totally diff worlds

sibley

Postby sibley » Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:41 am

chicoalto0649 wrote:
sibley wrote:

I visited twice and never saw the hammocks! Anyway, the campus/school makes you feel so...I dunno....cozy. Plus everyone there is way nice. If it came down to here and Fordham I would have such a decision to make. They're like two totally diff worlds

that's what I'm hoping it comes down to for me.

chicoalto0649

Postby chicoalto0649 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:42 am

sibley wrote:
chicoalto0649 wrote:
sibley wrote:

But at wustl you get the vibe that just about everyone wants to be there.....unlike Fordham where so many people at asd were like yeaaa fordhams ok but im waiting for xxx

sibley

Postby sibley » Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:44 am

chicoalto0649 wrote:
sibley wrote:
chicoalto0649 wrote:I visited twice and never saw the hammocks! Anyway, the campus/school makes you feel so...I dunno....cozy. Plus everyone there is way nice. If it came down to here and Fordham I would have such a decision to make. They're like two totally diff worlds

But at wustl you get the vibe that just about everyone wants to be there.....unlike Fordham where so many people at asd were like yeaaa fordhams ok but im waiting for xxx

yeah. but their employment prospects seem similar. and wustl is so far from my love =(
also, how the heck do I submit my seat deposit? I found their admitted students site but can't remember the login info.

nyyankees

Postby nyyankees » Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:47 am

sibley wrote:
chicoalto0649 wrote:
sibley wrote:
chicoalto0649 wrote:I visited twice and never saw the hammocks! Anyway, the campus/school makes you feel so...I dunno....cozy. Plus everyone there is way nice. If it came down to here and Fordham I would have such a decision to make. They're like two totally diff worlds

yeah. but their employment prospects seem similar. and wustl is so far from my love =(
also, how the heck do I submit my seat deposit? I found their admitted students site but can't remember the login info.

PM'd

AttractiveNuisance

Postby AttractiveNuisance » Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:50 am

mazzini wrote:Sounds great! Well, everything except for the Kansas/Ohio law focus. I'm from Colorado so I don't think it will be too huge a culture shock for me. Anyhow, I am visiting next friday and am very excited. Thanks for the updates Sibley!

Sibly, did you view a 1L class? That's the only reason I could see for there being a Kansas/Ohio law focus. In 1L they usually give you the common law, model law (whichever model is used generally), and the state law for those people who would be taking the state bar... but outside that, as a 2L (and I wasn't there 1L year) I don't think there is any kind of focus like that.

sibley

Postby sibley » Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:51 am

thanks. deposit submitted.

at least I know I'll be going to a good school if nothing else works out... anyone know if I can defer after submitting?...

nyyankees

Postby nyyankees » Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:51 am

sibley wrote:
I'm a little hesitant to talk about it after all the dings yesterday, but maybe they can find something they won't like in it. Or... just don't read =/

It was really good. They have hammocks. I was hoping to not like it because it's nowhere near my boyfriend and the weather isn't good enough to make me not care. But everyone seemed to have jobs (aka the one 2L I talked to who was becoming editor of law review... she was our tour guide and didn't tell us this til a classmate outted here... has an internship with the DOJ this summer, and the 3L I talked to has a job in NYC lined up), the campus was gorgeous (the good weather didn't hurt), the class I sat in on had me entertained for 80% of it despite not knowing the material being discussed (and the prof was funny... he called on this kid, saw he was wearing a cubs shirt, called on someone else instead... then went back to the cubs kid so the rest of the class didn't start wearing cubs shirts). The kids in the class were writing emails/etc during class but I feel like that happens everywhere and they weren't talking or anything like that. The facilities were nice (I mentioned the hammocks... they also have new architecture in the old style so it's gorgeous but not grody, and they have a fireplace with leather couches, and etc). The campus is huge and I only explored the law building and the village or whatever it's called, where they gave me a visitor meal pass (I got coconut curry stir fry which was a bit bland but I guess my own fault as there were plenty of things to add to it and I only added that green grassy stuff).. the meal options were great. The only real issue is that everyone has the same lunch time (there are no classes from 12-1) so it could get super backed up at that time, and the student commons area gets really crowded... but it's kinda nice too. you actually have a chance to see your friends without much effort. Oh. So there are hammocks, and there's a fireplace, and there's a SWIMMING POOL. just hanging out right in the middle of the campus! just chillin over there. and I saw some girls sun bathing but not by the pool, just in bikinis randomly outside of the law school pretty much. the lockers they have are nice, the facilities are nice, the train works but not as frequently as nyc... dunno how the other profs are but they seem to have an open door policy (don't mind if you show up not at office hours)... it was a little culture shock for me. I'm not used to so many middle-of-america people and so much talk about kansas and ohio law. I wonder if all the classes get their material from the surrounding states. I guess it makes sense... uh... any questions?

just wanted to add that I wasn't really interested before I visited. My intention in visiting was to have something to compare other schools to and to make sure I considered all my options. Before I left I got a lecture from my boyfriend about keeping an open mind. And when I finally got to St Louis I considered just hanging around the airport all day then going home... I was very tired.

1 paragraph, 3 mentions. it sounds like you liked the hammocks

AttractiveNuisance

Postby AttractiveNuisance » Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:52 am

sibley wrote:
chicoalto0649 wrote:
sibley wrote:

You can send a check to me and i'll make sure they get it... :mrgreen:

sibley

Postby sibley » Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:53 am

nyyankees wrote:
sibley wrote:

1 paragraph, 3 mentions. it sounds like you liked the hammocks

I did indeed. I couldn't use them though because there was a guy landscaping and there were piles of foul-smelling mulch under them.

and nuisance... you really are. and too late sorry =P did it online

I'm wondering if I told washu I wanted access to my admissions file if admitted. if so... gotta see those LORs!

Andrew the Wolverine

Postby Andrew the Wolverine » Wed Mar 31, 2010 11:08 am

Regardless of what the actual decision is, shouldn't the rest of us waiting be getting at least SOMETHING tonight? It is the last day of March...anybody call them today?

finalaspects

Postby finalaspects » Wed Mar 31, 2010 11:11 am

Andrew the Wolverine wrote:Regardless of what the actual decision is, shouldn't the rest of us waiting be getting at least SOMETHING tonight? It is the last day of March...anybody call them today?

they stated that they "hoped" to get it done by today. i always doubted. but we should hear by early april.

LSHPFL10

Postby LSHPFL10 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 11:14 am

Wonder if there are is another batch of admits left...

chicoalto0649

Postby chicoalto0649 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 11:15 am

Some say no, other say yes. I am of the latter.

LSHPFL10

Postby LSHPFL10 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 11:16 am

chicoalto0649 wrote:Some say no, other say yes. I am of the latter.

If you don't mind me asking... What makes you think the latter?

Encyclopedia Brown

Postby Encyclopedia Brown » Wed Mar 31, 2010 11:19 am

So they have five months with my application, I'm way on the green dot side of those already admitted, and they might need MORE time? I wonder what is holding WUSTL up more than other schools (where applications are undoubtedly up as well). Every other school has at least told me SOMETHING, even if it's a waitlist or a hold.

I hope complaining about their admissions process doesn't jinx me.

chicoalto0649

Postby chicoalto0649 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 11:20 am

Encyclopedia Brown wrote:So they have five months with my application, I'm way on the green dot side of those already admitted, and they might need MORE time? I wonder what is holding WUSTL up more than other schools (where applications are undoubtedly up as well). Every other school has at least told me SOMETHING, even if it's a waitlist or a hold.

I hope complaining about their admissions process doesn't jinx me.

Will you change your avatar to something less depressing if you get in?

Encyclopedia Brown

Postby Encyclopedia Brown » Wed Mar 31, 2010 11:26 am

chicoalto0649 wrote:Will you change your avatar to something less depressing if you get in?

Absolutely. I promised that to someone a long time ago on the NU thread, I believe, and then they put me on hold, so the avatar stuck around. If I get in I'll find a St. Louis-related avatar and use that.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”