For WUSTL Applicants

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
romothesavior

Re: For WUSTL Applicants

Postby romothesavior » Mon Mar 29, 2010 3:03 pm

waitingfor1L wrote:Not to be mean, but all of the schools are doing that. A 3L from a T6 said about a third of his class still didn't have a job and their career services had to revamp to address the issue also.

That's exactly the issue, though. WUSTL has been doing this type of thing since before the downtown, and it seems like they are ahead of the curve. Dean Spivey even said something to the tune of, "While other schools rested on their name and reputation to land jobs, we were out making new inroads.... yadda yadda." This isn't so much a reaction to the times as it is a committment on the part of the school to offer more diverse opportunities.

I'm not trying to be the mouthpiece of WUSTL or say that it is T14 material. It just seems like they are ahead of the curve compared to a lot of other schools, and I think they are doing remarkably well compared to their peer schools.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Mon Mar 29, 2010 3:05 pm

nyyankees wrote:
romothesavior wrote:
If this weekend was any indication, you and I may end up in this boat. :D

Nah, I picked up the contracts and torts books from the bookstore before I left and started reading on the plane home. Ive also been emailing Professor Drobak back and forth about getting a headstart in CivPro. Gunnerz fo lyfe!

(in case this isnt obvious, more sarcasm than you know)

Haha obviously. I think I'm gonna get a shirt with the "Top Gun" logo and wear it to class on the first day of class.

waitingfor1L

Postby waitingfor1L » Mon Mar 29, 2010 3:10 pm

That is how it is working at the ~15-30 range right now, and it is smart- it is (and has been in the past) getting them jobs while higher ranked schools aren't necessarily doing so. But I've been to 4 ASDs, and 3 of them (in the 15-30 range) said that exact thing, and the other one (high T14) said they still had great name rec. and had started to strengthen actual ties. The girl at the T6 said their CS was scrambling to do so... probably helps to still have that name rec. though. More so if everyone is moving towards that.

najumobi

Postby najumobi » Mon Mar 29, 2010 3:22 pm

waitingfor1L wrote:That is how it is working at the ~15-30 range right now, and it is smart- it is (and has been in the past) getting them jobs while higher ranked schools aren't necessarily doing so. But I've been to 4 ASDs, and 3 of them (in the 15-30 range) said that exact thing, and the other one (high T14) said they still had great name rec. and had started to strengthen actual ties. The girl at the T6 said their CS was scrambling to do so... probably helps to still have that name rec. though. More so if everyone is moving towards that.
ah ok...thanks. it's good to know that these schools aren't leaving their students high and dry. also, just because more than 1 school is putting more of an emphasis on small-mid sized firms doesn't mean that the approach is bad or that it won't work for the student's of a particular school (i'm guessing that there are plenty of those kind of jobs to go around or at least a lot more than that which is available with large firms.) i would also bet that as one goes down the usnews rankings (not that the rankings strictly matter) the less likely schools are adapting well to the change in job climate.

waitingfor1L

Postby waitingfor1L » Mon Mar 29, 2010 3:26 pm

Exactly najumobi. I'm not trying to put WUSTL down, I personally think it is a great approach. I'm just noting that they aren't exactly unique or groundbreaking in said approach.

canthardlywaitLOL

Postby canthardlywaitLOL » Mon Mar 29, 2010 3:31 pm

Ohhh gurl, these topics are double B Boringgggg ... lets talk about the real stuff! I've called the admissions office three times. Once to Mary Anne Clifford who didn't pick up. Once to Dean Bolin who didn't pick up and finally one to the main office. She picked up, but not much help. Does anyone have any new news as to whether we may hear today!?! I'm shaking in my houndstooth rainboots!

ticklememauve

Postby ticklememauve » Mon Mar 29, 2010 3:35 pm

canthardlywaitLOL wrote:Ohhh gurl, these topics are double B Boringgggg ... lets talk about the real stuff! I've called the admissions office three times. Once to Mary Anne Clifford who didn't pick up. Once to Dean Bolin who didn't pick up and finally one to the main office. She picked up, but not much help. Does anyone have any new news as to whether we may hear today!?! I'm shaking in my houndstooth rainboots!

Hah, I have houndstooth rainboots too. I get the feeling we won't hear anything today--tomorrow seems more likely. But who knows?

sibley

Postby sibley » Mon Mar 29, 2010 3:36 pm

ticklememauve wrote:
canthardlywaitLOL wrote:Ohhh gurl, these topics are double B Boringgggg ... lets talk about the real stuff! I've called the admissions office three times. Once to Mary Anne Clifford who didn't pick up. Once to Dean Bolin who didn't pick up and finally one to the main office. She picked up, but not much help. Does anyone have any new news as to whether we may hear today!?! I'm shaking in my houndstooth rainboots!

Hah, I have houndstooth rainboots too. I get the feeling we won't hear anything today--tomorrow seems more likely. But who knows?

mine are just red chinese laundry ones. nice for today's weather though =)

keemos

Postby keemos » Mon Mar 29, 2010 3:39 pm

Paul Wall (sorry to out you), but the more you call them, the less time they have to actually make decisions on applications

canthardlywaitLOL

Postby canthardlywaitLOL » Mon Mar 29, 2010 3:41 pm

I got them from Target of course! LOL ... why do you think we won't hear 2day?!

And as for the calling issue, I disagree with you ... I think you're just scared to call. They're admissions staffers, they have time to answer phones.

keemos

Postby keemos » Mon Mar 29, 2010 3:43 pm

canthardlywaitLOL wrote:I got them from Target of course! LOL ... why do you think we won't hear 2day?!

And as for the calling issue, I disagree with you ... I think you're just scared to call. They're admissions staffers, they have time to answer phones.

Staffers help deans get things done. Time you take away from them trickles down, however indirectly or slowly, to the people making decisions. And I have called once before, regrettably.

canthardlywaitLOL

Postby canthardlywaitLOL » Mon Mar 29, 2010 3:45 pm

I'm going to call every five minutes just so it takes them forever to send you your rejection email

webbylu87

Postby webbylu87 » Mon Mar 29, 2010 3:47 pm

canthardlywaitLOL wrote:I'm going to call every five minutes just so it takes them forever to send you your rejection email

this little exchange has been slightly annoying (as i keep seeing the thread update with non-news) however i definitely LOLed at this. priceless.

keemos

Postby keemos » Mon Mar 29, 2010 3:48 pm

canthardlywaitLOL wrote:I'm going to call every five minutes just so it takes them forever to send you your rejection email

I will be sure to send you a photocopy of my wait list so you can eat your words. In the interest of the sanity of others on this thread, I won't be responding to anything else you say.

webbylu87

Postby webbylu87 » Mon Mar 29, 2010 3:48 pm

are all the non-admitted lurkers on here 3/23ers?

canthardlywaitLOL

Postby canthardlywaitLOL » Mon Mar 29, 2010 3:49 pm

keemos wrote:

I will be sure to send you a photocopy of my wait list so you can eat your words. In the interest of the sanity of others on this thread, I won't be responding to anything else you say.

So I win!

MissLucky

Postby MissLucky » Mon Mar 29, 2010 3:50 pm

webbylu87 wrote:are all the non-admitted lurkers on here 3/23ers?

you mean not YET admitted...hehe ;) yes 3/23 here.

finalaspects

Postby finalaspects » Mon Mar 29, 2010 3:51 pm

MissLucky wrote:

there's a lot of non-admitted lurkers ranging from all the way back to 2/3 or so still....

NU_Jet55

Postby NU_Jet55 » Mon Mar 29, 2010 3:53 pm

finalaspects wrote:
MissLucky wrote:

there's a lot of non-admitted lurkers ranging from all the way back to 2/3 or so still....

2/2 here...:(

Slimpee

Postby Slimpee » Mon Mar 29, 2010 3:55 pm

Sup, Web! I'm 3/23...i case you were worried

webbylu87

Postby webbylu87 » Mon Mar 29, 2010 3:55 pm

finalaspects wrote:
MissLucky wrote:

ah right. geez louise. let's go WUSTL. i feel like i'm giving you all i have in this relationship and you're just stringing me along like you have for months. i'm tired of being used and abused. but somehow i still want to stay and commit to you long-term.

theantiscalia

Postby theantiscalia » Mon Mar 29, 2010 3:59 pm

Stupid question for admitted students...

The seat deposit is due in a couple of days, and I'm most likely going to WUSTL. Can I pay online via credit card on the admitted student site? The last time I looked, it said the credit card feature was coming soon.

dvd

Postby dvd » Mon Mar 29, 2010 4:01 pm

`
Last edited by dvd on Thu Jul 01, 2010 2:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

Snickerdoodle

Postby Snickerdoodle » Mon Mar 29, 2010 4:13 pm

Is April 1st a hard deadline for deposits?

I got a full tuition scholarship and they are suddenly looking more attractive than Vandy's 2/3rd scholarship ... but I need some time to decide.

theantiscalia

Postby theantiscalia » Mon Mar 29, 2010 4:20 pm

You have to have the deposit in by April 1, but if you decide not to go there by May 1, they'll refund it to you. So you'll still have some time to decide on Vandy.

FWIW, I'd deff. choose WUSTL full tuition over Vandy partial tuition... unless you were wanting to go down South to work.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”