For WUSTL Applicants

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
AttractiveNuisance

Re: For WUSTL Applicants

Postby AttractiveNuisance » Mon Mar 29, 2010 10:52 am

webbylu87 wrote:
J-tow10 wrote:Meh...Monday. Here we go again...

My lovescope for this month says: "The Full Moon of March 29 could be the day when an answer appears out of the blue." I'm taking that to mean that I'm getting into WUSTL today. I love the school so this is obviously the correct interpretation. Obviously.

I am 100% on board with this line of reasoning.

sibley

Postby sibley » Mon Mar 29, 2010 10:53 am

canthardlywaitLOL wrote:
sibley wrote:
texaspecial88 wrote:
sibley wrote:I've got 11k at WashU and 24k at W&L. I think WashU will offer a lot more opportunities (it's actually in a city instead of like 2 hours from one) for clinics, summer jobs, internships, etc. Plus Wash U's t20 and I hear that W&L is dropping. But... we'll see on the 15th how they do this year, at least.

Is the 15th the day USNWR comes out?

yeah. I'm unreasonably basing my decision partially on that. if schools do how I expect them to do or not it'll change my opinion a bit...

ooOOooOOOooooHHHhHhhHh GiiiiiiiiiiiiiRL! Which schools are you deciding between?! I would give my right arm for your lsat score! (confession: i'm a leftie!! :) )

lol I'm left handed too. I was hoping that'd count for something in the admissions process. diversity!

Andrew the Wolverine

Postby Andrew the Wolverine » Mon Mar 29, 2010 10:54 am

Has the theory that WUSTL decisions come out on Tuesdays and Thursdays been holding? I forget.

MissLucky

Postby MissLucky » Mon Mar 29, 2010 10:56 am

canthardlywaitLOL wrote:
ooOOooOOOooooHHHhHhhHh GiiiiiiiiiiiiiRL! Which schools are you deciding between?! I would give my right arm for your lsat score! (confession: i'm a leftie!! :) )

jajaja girl you stay wilin' out! loving it. =D

MissLucky

Postby MissLucky » Mon Mar 29, 2010 10:57 am

bananasinpajamas wrote:Image

yes

canthardlywaitLOL

Postby canthardlywaitLOL » Mon Mar 29, 2010 10:57 am

Has anyone else's complete date uPdAtEd?! I was a 3/23er, but I have a friend that goes to WashU undergrad and his updated on fRiDaY!!! Not sure what this means but I was like oh giiiiirl.

MissLucky

Postby MissLucky » Mon Mar 29, 2010 10:59 am

canthardlywaitLOL wrote:Has anyone else's complete date uPdAtEd?! I was a 3/23er, but I have a friend that goes to WashU undergrad and his updated on fRiDaY!!! Not sure what this means but I was like oh giiiiirl.

I'm stil at 3/23/10 (3rd update) do you feel like your friend would be an admit?

canthardlywaitLOL

Postby canthardlywaitLOL » Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:02 am

MissLucky wrote:
canthardlywaitLOL wrote:Has anyone else's complete date uPdAtEd?! I was a 3/23er, but I have a friend that goes to WashU undergrad and his updated on fRiDaY!!! Not sure what this means but I was like oh giiiiirl.

I'm stil at 3/23/10 (3rd update) do you feel like your friend would be an admit?

Ummmm not too sure- he took the LSAT two times: 157 then 162. GPA is a 3.5. However, he can juggle milk cartons.

sibley

Postby sibley » Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:04 am

canthardlywaitLOL wrote:
MissLucky wrote:

Ummmm not too sure- he took the LSAT two times: 157 then 162. GPA is a 3.5. However, he can juggle milk cartons.

I've never experience ebonics online before. That's what that was, way up there right? ^...

HBK

Postby HBK » Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:06 am

sibley wrote:
canthardlywaitLOL wrote:
MissLucky wrote:

I've never experience ebonics online before. That's what that was, way up there right? ^...

I'm pretty sure they're trolls. At least canthardlywaitLOL. LeT's RAnDomLY capItaLiZE ThiNgS!!#!

sibley

Postby sibley » Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:08 am

HBK wrote:
sibley wrote:
canthardlywaitLOL wrote:
MissLucky wrote:I'm stil at 3/23/10 (3rd update) do you feel like your friend would be an admit?

I'm pretty sure they're trolls. At least canthardlywaitLOL. LeT's RAnDomLY capItaLiZE ThiNgS!!#!

lol. but she(?) answers normally sometimes as well. troll, ebonics, or californian. or still in high school.

canthardlywaitLOL

Postby canthardlywaitLOL » Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:09 am

well, name calling isn't necessary! I'm just here to share info like everyone else :)
and, i like to rAndOmLy cApiTaliZe things because it shows eXciTeMeNt!!!!

canthardlywaitLOL

Postby canthardlywaitLOL » Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:11 am

thanks sibley! :wink:

HBK

Postby HBK » Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:12 am

canthardlywaitLOL wrote:well, name calling isn't necessary! I'm just here to share info like everyone else :)

You have been on this site for four days. You've only made twenty posts- all of which have been made in this thread, and all of which have been annoyingly written. Go troll HLS or YLS threads, you'd probably get more of a response.

canthardlywaitLOL

Postby canthardlywaitLOL » Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:14 am

HBK wrote:
canthardlywaitLOL wrote:well, name calling isn't necessary! I'm just here to share info like everyone else :)

You have been on this site for four days. You've only made twenty posts- all of which have been made in this thread, and all of which have been annoyingly written. Go troll HLS or YLS threads, you'd probably get more of a response.

I said I was new, my friends told me about top law schools....but they failed to mention how some people can be mean :(
I'll just watch from now on then....good luck everyone!! (except maybe HBK)

sibley

Postby sibley » Mon Mar 29, 2010 11:15 am

canthardlywaitLOL wrote:
HBK wrote:

I said I was new, my friends told me about top law schools....but they failed to mention how some people can be mean :(
I'll just watch from now on then....good luck everyone!! (except maybe HBK)

lol. go ahead and post. most people have heard by now and moved to the 2013 thread. but maybe you should consider writing slightly more properly, as adcomms/etc have been known to stalk.

Mickey Quicknumbers

Postby Mickey Quicknumbers » Mon Mar 29, 2010 12:02 pm

nowinGA wrote:
adh07d wrote:Anybody else weighing a 27k at WUSTL to a 34k at W&L? I want hear other perspectives on this

What is it about the two schools that you are comparing? They seem totally different to me, so I am just curious...(don't get me wrong, I am also having issues deciding between schools that seemingly have nothing in common!)

I'm shooting for some biglaw, and I know the numbers are 27% vs. 20%, but those numbers are not all-important for me and i'm just trying to see other people's line of reasoning comparing these two. for instance if they were swayed strongly by some intangible factor upon visiting (as I will have never seen either of these two colleges in person before move in day)

mavsman88

Postby mavsman88 » Mon Mar 29, 2010 12:04 pm

Is this a joke! I haven't changed status' since 3/5. I submitted my app four months ago and nothing. This does not make the school look good. I'm annoyed.

nyyankees

Postby nyyankees » Mon Mar 29, 2010 2:07 pm

adh07d wrote:
nowinGA wrote:
adh07d wrote:Anybody else weighing a 27k at WUSTL to a 34k at W&L? I want hear other perspectives on this

What is it about the two schools that you are comparing? They seem totally different to me, so I am just curious...(don't get me wrong, I am also having issues deciding between schools that seemingly have nothing in common!)

I'm shooting for some biglaw, and I know the numbers are 27% vs. 20%, but those numbers are not all-important for me and i'm just trying to see other people's line of reasoning comparing these two. for instance if they were swayed strongly by some intangible factor upon visiting (as I will have never seen either of these two colleges in person before move in day)

I was talking to another admitted student about this over the weekend and I found his takeaway very insightful. After everyone was impressed with the career services dean, I said that while impressive the NLJ250 data doesnt really support the idea that his creative efforts make a tangible difference. What this fellow admitted student pointed out was that although their NLJ250 data does not punch above its weight, the office has been able to almost guarantee that their students will have a job upon graduation via specialized recruiting events for smaller firms (their reported salary data included all but 12 members of the class of 2009, and they maintained very solid numbers). To me, this made a lot of sense as I would imagine if you have mid-law and big law recruiters at the same event 9/10 times law students will go after the big law positions and midlaw gets slighted. In an event completely dedicated to smaller firms, they stand a great chance of meeting people who are legitimately interested and not just 'safety firms'. This is just one small example of how I think Dean Spivey's approach to recruiting is just far and away better than any other school's deans. It feels like he thinks through the recruiting process from both sides a lot better than most.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Mon Mar 29, 2010 2:44 pm

nyyankees wrote:I was talking to another admitted student about this over the weekend and I found his takeaway very insightful. After everyone was impressed with the career services dean, I said that while impressive the NLJ250 data doesnt really support the idea that his creative efforts make a tangible difference. What this fellow admitted student pointed out was that although their NLJ250 data does not punch above its weight, the office has been able to almost guarantee that their students will have a job upon graduation via specialized recruiting events for smaller firms (their reported salary data included all but 12 members of the class of 2009, and they maintained very solid numbers). To me, this made a lot of sense as I would imagine if you have mid-law and big law recruiters at the same event 9/10 times law students will go after the big law positions and midlaw gets slighted. In an event completely dedicated to smaller firms, they stand a great chance of meeting people who are legitimately interested and not just 'safety firms'. This is just one small example of how I think Dean Spivey's approach to recruiting is just far and away better than any other school's deans. It feels like he thinks through the recruiting process from both sides a lot better than most.

Well said. I think you definitely can get big law out of WUSTL, but they don't focus solely on that in the way they reach out to employers. Like nyyankees mentioned, they just started this "Small Firm Day" or something for this year for people interested in small-mid law firms. They had a really big list of firms that are participating.

It seems like a lot of schools focus on big law, and then they try to help you figure something out if big law doesn't happen. But WUSTL offers a wide variety of opportunities up front. Personally, I am shooting for big law, but it is nice to know that WUSTL is working to offer broad opportunity in case I change my mind or don't have the grades for it.

nyyankees

Postby nyyankees » Mon Mar 29, 2010 2:51 pm

romothesavior wrote:
nyyankees wrote:I was talking to another admitted student about this over the weekend and I found his takeaway very insightful. After everyone was impressed with the career services dean, I said that while impressive the NLJ250 data doesnt really support the idea that his creative efforts make a tangible difference. What this fellow admitted student pointed out was that although their NLJ250 data does not punch above its weight, the office has been able to almost guarantee that their students will have a job upon graduation via specialized recruiting events for smaller firms (their reported salary data included all but 12 members of the class of 2009, and they maintained very solid numbers). To me, this made a lot of sense as I would imagine if you have mid-law and big law recruiters at the same event 9/10 times law students will go after the big law positions and midlaw gets slighted. In an event completely dedicated to smaller firms, they stand a great chance of meeting people who are legitimately interested and not just 'safety firms'. This is just one small example of how I think Dean Spivey's approach to recruiting is just far and away better than any other school's deans. It feels like he thinks through the recruiting process from both sides a lot better than most.

Well said. I think you definitely can get big law out of WUSTL, but they don't focus solely on that in the way they reach out to employers. Like nyyankees mentioned, they just started this "Small Firm Day" or something for this year for people interested in small-mid law firms. They had a really big list of firms that are participating.

It seems like a lot of schools focus on big law, and then they try to help you figure something out if big law doesn't happen. But WUSTL offers a wide variety of opportunities up front. Personally, I am shooting for big law, but it is nice to know that WUSTL is working to offer broad opportunity in case I change my mind or don't have the grades for it.

yeah basically in an economy where the sky is falling, wustl is raising the floor. its a pretty smart move and it helps their medians quite significantly. Its also a nice feeling knowing that if you royally screw up everything, you can still have some very decent options on the table.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Mon Mar 29, 2010 2:54 pm

nyyankees wrote:
romothesavior wrote:

yeah basically in an economy where the sky is falling, wustl is raising the floor. its a pretty smart move and it helps their medians quite significantly. Its also a nice feeling knowing that if you royally screw up everything, you can still have some very decent options on the table.

If this weekend was any indication, you and I may end up in this boat. :D

waitingfor1L

Postby waitingfor1L » Mon Mar 29, 2010 2:57 pm

Not to be mean, but all of the schools are doing that. A 3L from a T6 said about a third of his class still didn't have a job and their career services had to revamp to address the issue also.

nyyankees

Postby nyyankees » Mon Mar 29, 2010 3:02 pm

romothesavior wrote:
If this weekend was any indication, you and I may end up in this boat. :D

Nah, I picked up the contracts and torts books from the bookstore before I left and started reading on the plane home. Ive also been emailing Professor Drobak back and forth about getting a headstart in CivPro. Gunnerz fo lyfe!

(in case this isnt obvious, more sarcasm than you know)

najumobi

Postby najumobi » Mon Mar 29, 2010 3:03 pm

waitingfor1L wrote:Not to be mean, but all of the schools are doing that. A 3L from a T6 said about a third of his class still didn't have a job and their career services had to revamp to address the issue also.
have any info on lower ranked schools? schools that can be considered in wustl's peer group?
Last edited by najumobi on Mon Mar 29, 2010 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”