For WUSTL Applicants

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
JCougar

Re: For WUSTL Applicants

Postby JCougar » Tue Mar 23, 2010 1:34 pm

I'll be glad when this is over. Generally, people with an LSAT above medain at WUSTL are safe, but this year, every school out there seems to have an increase in applicants and seems to think that this will be their best class ever. So people who applied late are getting hammered. Iowa is waitlisting late applicants with a 4.0/164, UF just waitlisted a handful of people above median on the LSAT, Cornell is swamped, Wisconsin thinks their medians are going up substantially this year, and Dean Pless of Illinois said this is shaping up to be their best class ever.

WUSTL has hardly admitted anybody since February, and since they just admitted a bunch of URMs below both medians, it means they feel comfortable with the medians they have shaping up right now in their incoming class.

I guess it all depends on how many people withdraw between now and April 1.

Yellowcard

Postby Yellowcard » Tue Mar 23, 2010 1:36 pm

Are there a lot of people out there with 3 updates and have not received any decision? I'm not speaking to the people that got updates today, but people with 3 updates before today's wave of updates.

finalaspects

Postby finalaspects » Tue Mar 23, 2010 1:37 pm

JCougar wrote:I'll be glad when this is over. Generally, people with an LSAT above medain at WUSTL are safe, but this year, every school out there seems to have an increase in applicants and seems to think that this will be their best class ever. So people who applied late are getting hammered. Iowa is waitlisting late applicants with a 4.0/164, UF just waitlisted a handful of people above median on the LSAT, Cornell is swamped, Wisconsin thinks their medians are going up substantially this year, and Dean Pless of Illinois said this is shaping up to be their best class ever.

WUSTL has hardly admitted anybody since February, and since they just admitted a bunch of URMs below both medians, it means they feel comfortable with the medians they have shaping up right now in their incoming class.

i guess if this is true... the waitlisters will have good shots though? no matter how many applications an applicant churns out, they can only attend one. unless there are so many more applicants that it gets all filled in every school.

keemos

Postby keemos » Tue Mar 23, 2010 1:38 pm

finalaspects wrote:
keemos wrote:
finalaspects wrote:
keemos wrote:I'm really really really hoping that a lot of people above both medians sent in deposits. As someone mentioned earlier that would mean they would have to consider accepting some people below both medians to balance it out. URMs with low numbers or people with impressive softs could fill this role

NOOOOOOOOOO

as a splitter i must disagree! a school will accept a certain amount of URM's regardless although i can see how they will accept more if that theory holds true.

but come on, i worked hard for my LSAT!!! , and as an URM you already get an advantage!

I'm not an URM, and people work hard developing impressive softs too...Obviously you worked hard for your LSAT score and deserve a fair chance just as much as anyone else.

oh my mistake on thinking you were an URM. but as a non-URM if they need to fill the lower spots i think you're out of luck if you're not above the 50/75 in at least one category...

You're probably right...but it has happened before if you look at LSN graphs

Encyclopedia Brown

Postby Encyclopedia Brown » Tue Mar 23, 2010 1:38 pm

Yellowcard wrote:Are there a lot of people out there with 3 updates and have not received any decision? I'm not speaking to the people that got updates today, but people with 3 updates before today's wave of updates.

Present.

JCougar

Postby JCougar » Tue Mar 23, 2010 1:44 pm

finalaspects wrote:
JCougar wrote:I'll be glad when this is over. Generally, people with an LSAT above medain at WUSTL are safe, but this year, every school out there seems to have an increase in applicants and seems to think that this will be their best class ever. So people who applied late are getting hammered. Iowa is waitlisting late applicants with a 4.0/164, UF just waitlisted a handful of people above median on the LSAT, Cornell is swamped, Wisconsin thinks their medians are going up substantially this year, and Dean Pless of Illinois said this is shaping up to be their best class ever.

i guess if this is true... the waitlisters will have good shots though? no matter how many applications an applicant churns out, they can only attend one. unless there are so many more applicants that it gets all filled in every school.

Yes, WLed students should have a good shot.

Dean Pless of Illinois said that applicants this year are up only about 4% nationally, while applications are up about 7%. But this increase seems to be higher at the top schools. Naturally, this will force a lower than usual yield rate, because these people can only go to one school. Pless expects WL activity at Illinois this year to be moderate to high.

webbylu87

Postby webbylu87 » Tue Mar 23, 2010 1:45 pm

keemos wrote:I also updated to 3/23 from 3/1. My stats are 163/3.43

i was 12/10, 3/1/, and now 3/23. 163 and no GPA. dear god, please let me in. anyone have thoughts on this round of people updated today? considering how big the group is, i'm feeling a waitlist massacre.

finalaspects

Postby finalaspects » Tue Mar 23, 2010 1:46 pm

keemos wrote:You're probably right...but it has happened before if you look at LSN graphs

it sucks though in trying to rely on something that's as difficult as a lottery. that person might have been the son of a senator or a multi-millionaire for all we know though.

i think it's pretty shameful that law schools try to game the rankings at all costs now. those that took undergrad lightly, and don't test well are pretty much screwed unless you're an URM. everyone should have a good shot after looking at the whole picture, including good softs that can cover gpa or lsat....

most all lower stats candidates are like 99% URM though...

finalaspects

Postby finalaspects » Tue Mar 23, 2010 1:47 pm

JCougar wrote:Yes, WLed students should have a good shot.

Dean Pless of Illinois said that applicants this year are up only about 4% nationally, while applications are up about 7%. But this increase seems to be higher at the top schools. Naturally, this will force a lower than usual yield rate, because these people can only go to one school. Pless expects WL activity at Illinois this year to be moderate to high.

well i only applied to top 40 schools and so far have not gotten a single acceptance. but i have 3 waitlists so hopefully one of them will work out for me. this is good to know though thanks!

unless you accept me WUSTL, i will choose you over the waitlists...

Unknownsou

Postby Unknownsou » Tue Mar 23, 2010 1:47 pm

My last update was 3/10, and my numbers are above what people who got today's update seem to have. So... analysis?

God, this class I'm in right now is so boring.

finalaspects

Postby finalaspects » Tue Mar 23, 2010 1:49 pm

Unknownsou wrote:My last update was 3/10, and my numbers are above what people who got today's update seem to have. So... analysis?

you have to make sure the people you have better numbers aren't URM. WUSTL has gone through a major URM updates/decisions

JCougar

Postby JCougar » Tue Mar 23, 2010 1:52 pm

Unknownsou wrote:My last update was 3/10, and my numbers are above what people who got today's update seem to have. So... analysis?

I got my third update on 3/19 along with a few others with LSATs above median, and at least one URM that was admitted yesterday.

But I have not heard anything yet.

texaspecial88

Postby texaspecial88 » Tue Mar 23, 2010 1:54 pm

Just got my 3rd complete date today, what does this mean?

dvd

Postby dvd » Tue Mar 23, 2010 1:55 pm

`
Last edited by dvd on Thu Jul 01, 2010 1:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Unknownsou

Postby Unknownsou » Tue Mar 23, 2010 1:55 pm

finalaspects wrote:

you have to make sure the people you have better numbers aren't URM. WUSTL has gone through a major URM updates/decisions

I'm a white boy, and the people I'm referring to were white boys, too. Or they weren't URMs, at least. I have no idea what they were.

Out of curiosity, though, if I'd just put down that I was black, native american, and mexican on the application... how would they find out I was totally bullshitting them? I'm pretty sure I'd be an auto-admit if I did that, so I'm kinda regretting not doing that.

cr073137

Postby cr073137 » Tue Mar 23, 2010 1:55 pm

3rd or 4th? update just today 3/23, I'm an URM reverse splitter

texaspecial88

Postby texaspecial88 » Tue Mar 23, 2010 1:58 pm

dvd wrote:
texaspecial88 wrote:Just got my 3rd complete date today, what does this mean?

decision soon.

Do they notify via email or snail mail?

Katherine

Postby Katherine » Tue Mar 23, 2010 1:59 pm

email.

webbylu87

Postby webbylu87 » Tue Mar 23, 2010 1:59 pm

i believe everything is email this late in the game.

AttractiveNuisance

Postby AttractiveNuisance » Tue Mar 23, 2010 2:00 pm

finalaspects wrote:
keemos wrote:You're probably right...but it has happened before if you look at LSN graphs

it sucks though in trying to rely on something that's as difficult as a lottery. that person might have been the son of a senator or a multi-millionaire for all we know though.

i think it's pretty shameful that law schools try to game the rankings at all costs now. those that took undergrad lightly, and don't test well are pretty much screwed unless you're an URM. everyone should have a good shot after looking at the whole picture, including good softs that can cover gpa or lsat....

But isn't the reason a lot of people want to go to these schools because of how high they are ranked based on how well they have gamed the system? WUSTL in particular because of it's incredible rise?

finalaspects

Postby finalaspects » Tue Mar 23, 2010 2:15 pm

AttractiveNuisance wrote:
finalaspects wrote:

But isn't the reason a lot of people want to go to these schools because of how high they are ranked based on how well they have gamed the system? WUSTL in particular because of it's incredible rise?

yes its a sad cycle.

finalaspects

Postby finalaspects » Tue Mar 23, 2010 2:16 pm

Unknownsou wrote:
finalaspects wrote:

I'm a white boy, and the people I'm referring to were white boys, too. Or they weren't URMs, at least. I have no idea what they were.

Out of curiosity, though, if I'd just put down that I was black, native american, and mexican on the application... how would they find out I was totally bullshitting them? I'm pretty sure I'd be an auto-admit if I did that, so I'm kinda regretting not doing that.

we would all be autoadmits if we were URM lol....

they will take your word for it, but eventually if they do find out which wouldn't be too difficult, you will get kicked out. and most likely no other law schools will accept you because of it.

webbylu87

Postby webbylu87 » Tue Mar 23, 2010 2:21 pm

so do we have any predictions as far as what the 3/23ers are?

ticklememauve

Postby ticklememauve » Tue Mar 23, 2010 2:22 pm

Unknownsou wrote:
beast510 wrote:12/31 3/1 3/9

Argggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggh

Give me a decision or give me a death...

You might end up dead, the way things are going.

+1

utcris410

Postby utcris410 » Tue Mar 23, 2010 2:29 pm

Hmm - I noticed some of the 3/23 updaters who have listed stats on their profiles are URMs. Can any URMs with 3/23 update raise their hands?
I'm 3/23 update - Mex-Am - URM stats in profile
I don't want to cause a conspiracy theory conversation, just curious! :)

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”