For WUSTL Applicants

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
najumobi

Re: For WUSTL Applicants

Postby najumobi » Mon Mar 22, 2010 6:24 pm

JIsaacSmith wrote:IN TODAY VIA EMAIL!

I have no idea what to do now. I am from Seattle, Washington and the midwest would be an extreme change of scenery for me. I'll probably make my own thread later on because I need some help with this decision!

I hate how the majority of these schools need a decision by April 1st...TOOOO SOOON

btw. I'm an URM (Black Male)
your deposit due date is later than april 1st. First deposit for applicants notified of admission
after March 10, 2010 is april 15th. you have some time.

2013esq

Postby 2013esq » Mon Mar 22, 2010 6:25 pm

wizoz wrote:
2013esq wrote:Accepted via email!! URM - now to decide between WUSTL and Hastings (in LEOP). Congrats to all the other acceptances!!

when were your complete dates?

Submitted in November, complete December. Complete date updated to 3/15 as of this morning when I checked after receiving an emailing that said I need to complete their financial aid form.

najumobi

Postby najumobi » Mon Mar 22, 2010 6:25 pm

Unknownsou wrote:Moral of the story: don't be a honky :(
i doubt this will be the last acceptances. you should wait until after april 1st at least.

najumobi

Postby najumobi » Mon Mar 22, 2010 6:27 pm

JCougar wrote:So what does this mean? A bunch of URM acceptances that are below both medians means that they must have had a bunch of people above both medians accept and free up these spots. WUSTL games the medians always, but it also means that all they need is 50% of their class to be above their targets. They can do this with splitter pairs that cancel each other out (LSAT splitter, reverse splitter), or they can do this by giving huge scholarships to those who are above both medians. The more people above both medians are accepted, the more URMs can be accepted without hurting the medians. If all of a sudden more spots for URMs opened up, that's a signal that people above both medians had a slightly higher yield rate than they expected.

But this means they need less splitters. :shock:

Also, maybe I'm thinking too much.
breath. give it another week or so.
EDIT: just saw your stats...you'll be fine. any score 167 or higher is a virtual, almost regardless of gpa.

wizoz

Postby wizoz » Mon Mar 22, 2010 6:30 pm

2013esq wrote:
wizoz wrote:
2013esq wrote:Accepted via email!! URM - now to decide between WUSTL and Hastings (in LEOP). Congrats to all the other acceptances!!

when were your complete dates?

Submitted in November, complete December. Complete date updated to 3/15 as of this morning when I checked after receiving an emailing that said I need to complete their financial aid form.

Oh ok...so you've been waiting quite some time. For those accepted today, when did you all go complete? Thanks!

Andrew the Wolverine

Postby Andrew the Wolverine » Mon Mar 22, 2010 6:40 pm

Why did so many people get decisions, but so many didn't get anything? What's the deal? I'm a URM, seems like most decisions today were for URMs.

wizoz

Postby wizoz » Mon Mar 22, 2010 6:44 pm

Andrew the Wolverine wrote:Why did so many people get decisions, but so many didn't get anything? What's the deal? I'm a URM, seems like most decisions today were for URMs.

I love how antsy you are. It's pretty funny but seriously, didn't u just apply? I'm suspecting these URM's applied back in December / January.

Andrew the Wolverine

Postby Andrew the Wolverine » Mon Mar 22, 2010 6:49 pm

wizoz wrote:
Andrew the Wolverine wrote:Why did so many people get decisions, but so many didn't get anything? What's the deal? I'm a URM, seems like most decisions today were for URMs.

I love how antsy you are. It's pretty funny but seriously, didn't u just apply? I'm suspecting these URM's applied back in December / January.

I applied in early January. I'm antsy because I (naively) thought I was going to get a decision like 4 times already. It's the best school I have a realistic shot to get into, forgive my nerves.

wizoz

Postby wizoz » Mon Mar 22, 2010 6:54 pm

Andrew the Wolverine wrote:
wizoz wrote:

I applied in early January. I'm antsy because I (naively) thought I was going to get a decision like 4 times already. It's the best school I have a realistic shot to get into, forgive my nerves.

Lol..you're cute. Good luck.

exitlane

Postby exitlane » Mon Mar 22, 2010 6:58 pm

URM, still hoping for email. What is the latest today to expect an email--in California.

GPA splitter

najumobi

Postby najumobi » Mon Mar 22, 2010 7:07 pm

exitlane wrote:URM, still hoping for email. What is the latest today to expect an email--in California.

GPA splitter
my impression is that acceptance emails are sent in mass, all at the same time for a particular day.

dvd

Postby dvd » Mon Mar 22, 2010 7:11 pm

`
Last edited by dvd on Thu Jul 01, 2010 1:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

musicfor18

Postby musicfor18 » Mon Mar 22, 2010 7:30 pm

Does anyone know how WUSTL communicates scholarships? Is it by email or snail mail?

dvd

Postby dvd » Mon Mar 22, 2010 7:30 pm

`
Last edited by dvd on Thu Jul 01, 2010 1:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

dudester

Postby dudester » Mon Mar 22, 2010 7:32 pm

dvd wrote:Attention everyone attending the March 26th ASD - there are two threads about this

here: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=108039&start=25

and here: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=111453

Some of us are trying to get people together to explore the area on Thursday night, or Friday after the events.

Does WusTTTl offer travel stipends for the ASD?

mazzini

Postby mazzini » Mon Mar 22, 2010 7:33 pm

Does anyone know how WUSTL communicates scholarships? Is it by email or snail mail?

By email. I talked to admissions today and was told that for those accepted 2/23 or later and were also told that they would be considered for a scholarship would receive emails in the next "weekish". The wait is killing me.

chicoalto0649

Postby chicoalto0649 » Mon Mar 22, 2010 7:46 pm

UTCRIS:

Did you get an email today twin?

Got the status email buuuut no acceptance...

chicoalto0649

Postby chicoalto0649 » Mon Mar 22, 2010 7:50 pm

Also the first waitlist of the year has been sent out

http://washu.lawschoolnumbers.com/stats/?whichCycle=0910

najumobi

Postby najumobi » Mon Mar 22, 2010 8:35 pm

dudester wrote:
dvd wrote:Attention everyone attending the March 26th ASD - there are two threads about this

here: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=108039&start=25

and here: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=111453

Some of us are trying to get people together to explore the area on Thursday night, or Friday after the events.

Does WusTTTl offer travel stipends for the ASD?
yes. $200. to some, not all.

quadsixm

Postby quadsixm » Mon Mar 22, 2010 8:44 pm

I am also stuck at 2/3 but I did the get "delighted" email this morning.

168+, <2.5 GPA.

Anybody else still stuck at 2/3? I know there used to be a few people with strong #'s stuck at 2/3 with me, you guys still at 2/3?

noxhil wrote:So I didn't get this "thanks for your patience" status update email. I don't think I'm an auto-reject which makes it a little weird. 166 LSAT and >25% GPA. Also still stuck at 2/3. I saw a few other people didn't get the update email... maybe this is just a problem with their listserv?

chicoalto0649

Postby chicoalto0649 » Mon Mar 22, 2010 8:50 pm

quadsixm wrote:I am also stuck at 2/3 but I did the get "delighted" email this morning.

168+, <2.5 GPA.

Anybody else still stuck at 2/3? I know there used to be a few people with strong #'s stuck at 2/3 with me, you guys still at 2/3?

noxhil wrote:So I didn't get this "thanks for your patience" status update email. I don't think I'm an auto-reject which makes it a little weird. 166 LSAT and >25% GPA. Also still stuck at 2/3. I saw a few other people didn't get the update email... maybe this is just a problem with their listserv?

you have a sub 2.5?

and you didnt get a delighted email....dayummn

chicoalto0649

Postby chicoalto0649 » Mon Mar 22, 2010 8:51 pm

finalaspects wrote:man i would hate to be an URM today and not get accepted... then again its still horrible not being accepted...

Andrew The Wolverine has a 3.3 170 and is also urm......no decision for him today so im not losing hope yet....

Andrew the Wolverine

Postby Andrew the Wolverine » Mon Mar 22, 2010 8:58 pm

chicoalto0649 wrote:
finalaspects wrote:man i would hate to be an URM today and not get accepted... then again its still horrible not being accepted...

Andrew The Wolverine has a 3.3 170 and is also urm......no decision for him today so im not losing hope yet....

Nope, not 3.3, it's 2.7. Massive upward trend, though, if that means anything.

quadsixm

Postby quadsixm » Mon Mar 22, 2010 9:05 pm

Nah, I did get the email this morning thanking me for my patience.
I don't know if that email has any significance.

Really hoping for some good news or at least a WL with a chance at getting in... WUSTL is my top choice and would be an autocommit for me.

chicoalto0649 wrote:
you have a sub 2.5?

and you didnt get a delighted email....dayummn

JCougar

Postby JCougar » Mon Mar 22, 2010 9:18 pm

finalaspects wrote:
JCougar wrote:So what does this mean? A bunch of URM acceptances that are below both medians means that they must have had a bunch of people above both medians accept and free up these spots. WUSTL games the medians always, but it also means that all they need is 50% of their class to be above their targets. They can do this with splitter pairs that cancel each other out (LSAT splitter, reverse splitter), or they can do this by giving huge scholarships to those who are above both medians. The more people above both medians are accepted, the more URMs can be accepted without hurting the medians. If all of a sudden more spots for URMs opened up, that's a signal that people above both medians had a slightly higher yield rate than they expected.

But this means they need less splitters. :shock:

Also, maybe I'm thinking too much.

all schools accept URM's without regard to numbers so i don't think it means much...

Right...and they can do this and not effect the medians. For every matriculant that has numbers above both medians, this frees up a spot in the entering class for someone below both medians to be admitted without negatively effecting the medians. For example, to keep its medians of 3.7/167, WUSTL can have 25% of its class above both medians (with close to full scholarships), 25% LSAT splitters (167+), 25% reverse splitters (with GPAs above 3.7). That frees up 25% of the spots in class and allows them to admit applicants with any numbers at all without effecting the median. This is how they admit URMs, people with outstanding softs, military, legacy admits, etc., while keeping the medians intact. It's how WUSTL plays the numbers game.

The fact that they now all of a sudden have room for more URMs means that a handful more of the people above both medians ended up sending in their seat deposit. Instead of 25% above both medians, perhaps they now have 30% above both medians, which means they can add more URMs (30%). This leaves, in my hypothetical situation, only 20% of the class for each kind of splitter. They key to splitters getting in is having the people above both medians withdraw, but this is not happening if they decided to admit a group of URMs. It's a sign that these people are matriculating.

Anyway, it's probably not as big of a deal as I am making it. I don't mean to bring the drama. But I am anxious because I haven't heard anything from any of my targets yet. It's my own doing, though, for having had to use the February retake to get my target score. But the strategy above is how WUSTL operates, and unless for some reason they had a ton of URMs withdraw, they must have had a bunch of full schollies matriculate.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”