For WUSTL Applicants

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
chicoalto0649

Re: For WUSTL Applicants

Postby chicoalto0649 » Fri Dec 18, 2009 4:45 pm

killuminati wrote:
chicoalto0649 wrote:Is anyone else writing a why WUSTL essay?

I feel like the only one but my numbers probably warrant one anyway....

Well, if anyone wants to swap why WUSTL essays, feel free to PM me

check out WUSTL's amazing Trial Advocacy and Clinical programs with are ranked 3 and 4 respectively...I'm pretty sure that was the number. They have amazing hands on programs and interdisciplinary work that really separates it from a lot of other schools. i wrote about that in the small section for why I wanted to attend WUSTL. I didn't write a Why WUSTL, but this information might help you out especially if you base your paper around your future goals and how it coincides with the schools strengths. Anyways you can look it up on google, wikipedia, WUSTL website, princetonreview, etc. Not sure if you want, but you can reference Vault 40 and talk about the employment areas WUSTL tends to dominate and how you would like to work, live in that area. Just ideas, best of luck and I hope you get in. If I decide on BU I will withdraw promptly.

I vetoed applying to BU but will send an app out to BC.

I am coming straight from undergrad and BC this is the norm not the exception. BU I get the impression is less collegial/older crowd/ a few more years removed from undergrad.

Also my lil bro might be going to BC and that would be way cool.

WUSTL is probably number one on my list right now of REALISTIC schools I have a shot at (factoring urm bump). I reallly, really enjoyed my time there and think that it would be an excellent choice/ give me options in the places I am most interested in living....

killuminati

Postby killuminati » Fri Dec 18, 2009 4:47 pm

chicoalto0649 wrote:
killuminati wrote:

check out WUSTL's amazing Trial Advocacy and Clinical programs with are ranked 3 and 4 respectively...I'm pretty sure that was the number. They have amazing hands on programs and interdisciplinary work that really separates it from a lot of other schools. i wrote about that in the small section for why I wanted to attend WUSTL. I didn't write a Why WUSTL, but this information might help you out especially if you base your paper around your future goals and how it coincides with the schools strengths. Anyways you can look it up on google, wikipedia, WUSTL website, princetonreview, etc. Not sure if you want, but you can reference Vault 40 and talk about the employment areas WUSTL tends to dominate and how you would like to work, live in that area. Just ideas, best of luck and I hope you get in. If I decide on BU I will withdraw promptly.

I am coming straight from undergrad and BC this is the norm not the exception. BU I get the impression is less collegial/older crowd/ a few more years removed from undergrad.

WUSTL is probably number one on my list right now of REALISTIC schools I have a shot at (factoring urm bump). I reallly, really enjoyed my time there and think that it would be an excellent choice/ give me options in the places I am most interested in living....

I hope you're in...if you're a 167 or higher you're pretty much guaranteed.

chicoalto0649

Postby chicoalto0649 » Fri Dec 18, 2009 4:48 pm

killuminati wrote:
chicoalto0649 wrote:
killuminati wrote:

I hope you're in...if you're a 167 or higher you're pretty much guaranteed.

Not quite only 163 hence the why wustl :oops:

killuminati

Postby killuminati » Fri Dec 18, 2009 4:50 pm

BU is definitely less collegial and older but outranks BC, better national employment (see Vault 40), a 10k higher average income (see princeton review), and has been ranked as high as 19 but BC has never gotten higher than 22 in the past 10 years. BU has way too much upside for me b/c I want to work in LA, but BC is the college campus I would like to attend...but sometimes sacrifices must be made...

Slimpee

Postby Slimpee » Fri Dec 18, 2009 4:51 pm

I'm regretting not writing a "Why WUSTL" or doing more a more thorough job on the section asking for comments...

But I submitted so there isn't much I can do now. If I get WL'ed i'll certainly write something.

Good luck, everyone!

killuminati

Postby killuminati » Fri Dec 18, 2009 4:55 pm

Slimpee wrote:I'm regretting not writing a "Why WUSTL" or doing more a more thorough job on the section asking for comments...

But I submitted so there isn't much I can do now. If I get WL'ed i'll certainly write something.

Good luck, everyone!

actually, you can still submit a why wustl essay and any additional information still. Just e-mail or contact their admissions office and they'll be more than happy to assist you. Best of luck =)

chicoalto0649

Postby chicoalto0649 » Fri Dec 18, 2009 4:55 pm

Slimpee wrote:I'm regretting not writing a "Why WUSTL" or doing more a more thorough job on the section asking for comments...

Good luck, everyone!

I see your from minnesota....did you apply to UMN?

I was considering but there is no way in hell I can make my personal statement talk about my reasons for wanting to go to UMN....I think theyre the only school that asks you to specifically mention UMN in your PS....pretty banal stuff but it does seem like a great school

Slimpee

Postby Slimpee » Fri Dec 18, 2009 5:07 pm

chicoalto0649 wrote:
I see your from minnesota....did you apply to UMN?

I was considering but there is no way in hell I can make my personal statement talk about my reasons for wanting to go to UMN....I think theyre the only school that asks you to specifically mention UMN in your PS....pretty banal stuff but it does seem like a great school

Yep, applied ED and was WL'ed. I didn't say much about MN in my PS other than a sentence about a class visit but I wrote a one-page "Why MN" addendum.

carlkenneth

Postby carlkenneth » Fri Dec 18, 2009 6:50 pm

Just got accepted via e-mail!!! What a surprising friggin cycle for me! No way in hell I thought I'd get in here.

Non-traditional, URM

Veritas

Postby Veritas » Fri Dec 18, 2009 6:52 pm

carlkenneth wrote:Just got accepted via e-mail!!! What a surprising friggin cycle for me! No way in hell I thought I'd get in here.

Non-traditional, URM

wow congrats!

I would love an email, WUSTL ;)

Oban

Postby Oban » Fri Dec 18, 2009 7:25 pm

carlkenneth wrote:Just got accepted via e-mail!!! What a surprising friggin cycle for me! No way in hell I thought I'd get in here.

Non-traditional, URM

Also in. Similar stats but am trad applicant.

chicoalto0649

Postby chicoalto0649 » Fri Dec 18, 2009 7:35 pm

Non-traditional, URM

Wow....

You must be really non-traditional, but congrats. WUSTL would be a feather in my cap and should be one in yours as well....quite impressive

Oban

Postby Oban » Fri Dec 18, 2009 8:24 pm

chicoalto0649 wrote:

Non-traditional, URM

Wow....

You must be really non-traditional, but congrats. WUSTL would be a feather in my cap and should be one in yours as well....quite impressive

They def have love for the URMs. MY email said i'm under scholarhsip consideration. Cracking the top 20 made my day.

badwithpseudonyms

Postby badwithpseudonyms » Fri Dec 18, 2009 8:53 pm

I wrote a few paragraphs on WUSTL. Talked about their clinicals, TAP, and what I liked about it. I also mentioned St. Louis style barbecue. Swear to god.

poprox

Postby poprox » Fri Dec 18, 2009 10:18 pm

as a local I can tell you Kansas City has better BBQ (especially now that SuperSmokers has closed), but you still wouldn't be disappointed with the offerings here. Maybe someday we'll get an Oklahoma Joes ;-)

misslawyer2013

Postby misslawyer2013 » Fri Dec 18, 2009 10:31 pm

Also admitted today! It really made my day :)

Postby 02082010 » Sat Dec 19, 2009 12:00 am

172 2.7 AA male. In via email today.

CyLaw

Postby CyLaw » Sat Dec 19, 2009 12:00 am

hopefulundergrad wrote:172 2.7 AA male. In via email today.

Congrats. Good way to break the silence.

killuminati

Postby killuminati » Sat Dec 19, 2009 2:42 am

badwithpseudonyms wrote:I wrote a few paragraphs on WUSTL. Talked about their clinicals, TAP, and what I liked about it. I also mentioned St. Louis style barbecue. Swear to god.

Nice touch with the bbq sauce, makes it seem more real in a crowd of applicants many of whom that are trying way to hard to sound like the Britannica Encyclopedia =).

Unadilla Kayaker

Postby Unadilla Kayaker » Sat Dec 19, 2009 7:01 am

hopefulundergrad wrote:172 2.7 AA male. In via email today.

Congrats. WUSTL acceptance must take the sting out of Illinois. I knew you'd get good news.

Congrats to all others and Happy Holidays!

chicoalto0649

Postby chicoalto0649 » Sat Dec 19, 2009 11:21 am

poprox wrote:as a local I can tell you Kansas City has better BBQ (especially now that SuperSmokers has closed), but you still wouldn't be disappointed with the offerings here. Maybe someday we'll get an Oklahoma Joes ;-)

When I visited STL and mentioned bbq they told me st louis wasn't much of a bbq city....dont know how it got that rap.

However I heard there is an excellent place called Pappy's close to St louis University.

march319

Postby march319 » Sat Dec 19, 2009 12:02 pm

Accepted last night via email.
3.4, 154, Black Male URM

badwithpseudonyms

Postby badwithpseudonyms » Sat Dec 19, 2009 2:42 pm

killuminati wrote:
badwithpseudonyms wrote:I wrote a few paragraphs on WUSTL. Talked about their clinicals, TAP, and what I liked about it. I also mentioned St. Louis style barbecue. Swear to god.

Nice touch with the bbq sauce, makes it seem more real in a crowd of applicants many of whom that are trying way to hard to sound like the Britannica Encyclopedia =).

I'm sure they had a laugh. But it's true. I prefer KC and STL-style over Texas, Memphis, Carolinas, etc. So I figured, "Oh what the hell?" They let me in so I guess it didn't hurt.

@poprox and/or chicoalto: Trust me. Any legit barbecue place out there is better than the offerings in PA. We're not really known for the stuff.

In all seriousness though, I'm looking forward to ASW because I've heard really good things about the school.

NayBoer

Postby NayBoer » Sat Dec 19, 2009 9:26 pm

STL isn't crazy for barbecue like the South or KC, but it's definitely there. Mostly seems to use KC-style, sauce-heavy barbecue, which has always been by far my favorite. [Edit - to anyone interested, I enjoyed Chaney's on Olive, maybe 5-10 minutes from WUSTL. Not sure if it's open anymore, I last went like 7-8 years ago. There's a big pit right outside.]

It does have signature Italian food, like toasted ravioli (breaded & fried ravioli), and the pizza is predominant. Imo's is the commercialized version of it, which I always loved, and Farrato's (maybe 15 minutes from WUSTL) was always the place I heard as 'best in the city.' STL pizza is thin and uses provel cheese, which is supposed to melt really well.

Anybody who vists WUSTL would do well to swing by the Delmar Loop, a minute or two north of the campus. It's kind of crowded, but it has lots of restaurants and stuff going on.

UF Gators

Postby UF Gators » Sun Dec 20, 2009 2:17 am

Has anybody here tried St Louis Ooey Gooey butter cake? It's reason enough to move to the city.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”