For WUSTL Applicants

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
sibley

Re: For WUSTL Applicants

Postby sibley » Wed Mar 17, 2010 4:20 pm

Mosca wrote:
Geist13 wrote:My question is: why do i qualify for need based perkins loans at some schools and not others? If it is a federal loan and not a scholarship, shouldn't my eligibility be the same regardless of school?

I'm curious about this as well. I qualified for a perkins loan at another school but not at WUSTL.

Maybe it's estimated cost of living?

najumobi

Postby najumobi » Wed Mar 17, 2010 4:20 pm

Mosca wrote:
Geist13 wrote:My question is: why do i qualify for need based perkins loans at some schools and not others? If it is a federal loan and not a scholarship, shouldn't my eligibility be the same regardless of school?

I'm curious about this as well. I qualified for a perkins loan at another school but not at WUSTL.
maybe it depends on the cost of attendance.

missvik218

Postby missvik218 » Wed Mar 17, 2010 4:22 pm

jc631 wrote:
nyyankees wrote:just got my financial aid package offer. Not entirely sure how to interpret it. I understand stafford (subsidized and unsubsidized) to be federal loans and i would assume Graduate plus loans are through a private lender (correct?).

I guess my question is, what does this mean? I would assume a higher amount of stafford loans is preferable to a higher amount of graduate plus loans? What is a "higher amount"? Is there some multiple of your EFC that should be covered in stafford/graduate plus?

I think the higher amount would be the full 20,500 (8,500 subsidized and 12,000 unsubsidized). I have no clue about determining how much you should be eligible for though. Hope that helps!

I got a 2k Perkins also ... is that $20,500 the most you can get through subsidized and unsubsidized stafford loans?

sibley

Postby sibley » Wed Mar 17, 2010 4:23 pm

missvik218 wrote:
jc631 wrote:
nyyankees wrote:just got my financial aid package offer. Not entirely sure how to interpret it. I understand stafford (subsidized and unsubsidized) to be federal loans and i would assume Graduate plus loans are through a private lender (correct?).

I guess my question is, what does this mean? I would assume a higher amount of stafford loans is preferable to a higher amount of graduate plus loans? What is a "higher amount"? Is there some multiple of your EFC that should be covered in stafford/graduate plus?

I think the higher amount would be the full 20,500 (8,500 subsidized and 12,000 unsubsidized). I have no clue about determining how much you should be eligible for though. Hope that helps!

I got a 2k Perkins also ... is that $20,500 the most you can get through subsidized and unsubsidized stafford loans?

Right, plus you can get graduate plus loans (my EFC was 0 and the graduate plus covered the rest, so I assume the 20500 is the max).

Subsidized Stafford_$8,500.00

Unsubsidized Stafford_$12,000.00

Geist13

Postby Geist13 » Wed Mar 17, 2010 4:26 pm

najumobi wrote:maybe it depends on the cost of attendance.

I guess that would make sense, since assuming i didn't leave something out, the total award-tuition=roughly 21k which is quite high.

missvik218 wrote:

Yeah, there's a yearly limit to stafford loans (20.5K) Everything need beyond that is loaned via GradPlus, which is unlimited. Both are federal loans (no private loans needed). I believe the difference has to do with the interest rates between them, gradplus having the higher rate.

sibley

Postby sibley » Wed Mar 17, 2010 4:28 pm

Geist13 wrote:
najumobi wrote:maybe it depends on the cost of attendance.

I guess that would make sense, since assuming i didn't leave something out, the total award-tuition=roughly 21k which is quite high.

missvik218 wrote:

Yeah, there's a yearly limit to stafford loans (20.5K) Everything need beyond that is loaned via GradPlus, which is unlimited. Both are federal loans (no private loans needed). I believe the difference has to do with the interest rates between them, gradplus having the higher rate.

oh, I got the 2k perkins also. yeah it's definitely the max. (e-pound for being poor!)

jman77

Postby jman77 » Wed Mar 17, 2010 4:29 pm

Slightly off-topic here...but I just registered for the June LSAT. My current LSAT score is the result of 1.5 months of cramming (using just Princeton and Kaplan reviewers and 5 PT's). -12 in Logic Games. I have been using the Powerscore Bibles for a month and am already scoring in the 175-177 range. Kinda bummed I didn't do this to start with...

Anyway, does anyone know if schools (WUSTL in particular) would be willing to up my scholly offer based on the June LSAT score (asssuming I do as well as I think I will), or would it be too late at that time?

Toying with the idea of reapplying next cycle (and early this time around), but at my age, I'm not too certain I want to wait another year longer.

missvik218

Postby missvik218 » Wed Mar 17, 2010 4:30 pm

Geist13 wrote:Yeah, there's a yearly limit to stafford loans (20.5K) Everything need beyond that is loaned via GradPlus, which is unlimited. Both are federal loans (no private loans needed). I believe the difference has to do with the interest rates between them, gradplus having the higher rate.

Looks about right, also GradPlus is based on a 25 year repayment term rather than 10 year for Stafford. And loan repayment begins 60 days after graduation for GradPlus and 6 months for Stafford (chart at bottom of link in e-mail).

finalaspects

Postby finalaspects » Wed Mar 17, 2010 4:32 pm

missvik218 wrote:
Geist13 wrote:Yeah, there's a yearly limit to stafford loans (20.5K) Everything need beyond that is loaned via GradPlus, which is unlimited. Both are federal loans (no private loans needed). I believe the difference has to do with the interest rates between them, gradplus having the higher rate.

Looks about right, also GradPlus is based on a 25 year repayment term rather than 10 year for Stafford. And loan repayment begins 60 days after graduation for GradPlus and 6 months for Stafford (chart at bottom of link in e-mail).

would you guys know how these federal loans work if you're waitlisted then accepted at the last second? that might affect merit aid but it won't affect federal aid/loans right?

sibley

Postby sibley » Wed Mar 17, 2010 4:35 pm

finalaspects wrote:
missvik218 wrote:

would you guys know how these federal loans work if you're waitlisted then accepted at the last second? that might affect merit aid but it won't affect federal aid/loans right?

As long as you fill out the FAFSA for all the schools on time I think you're good

Stephanie13

Postby Stephanie13 » Wed Mar 17, 2010 4:59 pm

sibley wrote:
najumobi wrote:
sibley wrote:Just got this too. Covers full tuition for me, plus living expenses (in combination with my SIL award). But I really don't want to take out that much in loans a year. Was hoping for a grant or something.
i think the only schools where you should expect or even count on receiving grant aid are YHS. for all others need based aid is basically just loan aid.

Cardozo I'm pretty sure has some need-based grants, as do a few other schools. You'd expect it from the richer schools, and WashU is a richer school. You get yours today too, Naju? 60k in three years just for housing? =) Mr. full-ride.

Need based grants are just from richer schools? I got offered a preliminary need based grant from UC Davis. I'm sad that WUSTL isn't offering any.

Edit: I think Hastings offers some too.

MissLucky

Postby MissLucky » Wed Mar 17, 2010 5:02 pm

wait so ... are there no more straight up acceptances to be handed out from WUSTL this cycle?

sibley

Postby sibley » Wed Mar 17, 2010 5:06 pm

Stephanie13 wrote:
sibley wrote:
najumobi wrote:
sibley wrote:Just got this too. Covers full tuition for me, plus living expenses (in combination with my SIL award). But I really don't want to take out that much in loans a year. Was hoping for a grant or something.
i think the only schools where you should expect or even count on receiving grant aid are YHS. for all others need based aid is basically just loan aid.

Cardozo I'm pretty sure has some need-based grants, as do a few other schools. You'd expect it from the richer schools, and WashU is a richer school. You get yours today too, Naju? 60k in three years just for housing? =) Mr. full-ride.

Need based grants are just from richer schools? I got offered a preliminary need based grant from UC Davis. I'm sad that WUSTL isn't offering any.

Edit: I think Hastings offers some too.

Richer schools have more money to allocate. They allocate to need and they allocate to merit. If memory serves the UC schools don't offer much in way of merit for most students.

clwilson6

Postby clwilson6 » Wed Mar 17, 2010 5:10 pm

MissLucky wrote:wait so ... are there no more straight up acceptances to be handed out from WUSTL this cycle?

Who said that? I don't think anyone here can confirm or deny that statement (I inow I can't)but I haven't heard of any recent acceptances other than one or two random ones, so you might be right. Its starting to seem like they're giving acceptances at this point to those who may already be designated for WL status when spots open up because some accepted people are withdrawing. Won't know for sure until on or after April 1st.

finalaspects

Postby finalaspects » Wed Mar 17, 2010 5:12 pm

MissLucky wrote:wait so ... are there no more straight up acceptances to be handed out from WUSTL this cycle?

we do not know. but i have a feeling there will be no more... waitlists then acceptances will most likely happen.... but i think straight acceptances will be very RARE. its so late in the cycle and now they are most likely waiting to see how many people throw down deposits.

JCougar

Postby JCougar » Wed Mar 17, 2010 5:22 pm

Even WUSTL will not know the answer to this question until the seat deposit deadline. They're probably being extremely careful this year to avoid what happened to Minnesota last year. There's no advantage in a school rejecting or WLing people before they absolutely need to. Applications are up but the total number of people applying hasn't risen at the same rate, which means more people are applying to more schools. That's likely to mess with yeld rates this year, so I'm guessing WUSTL is going to use the seat deposit deadline to give them an indication of potential yield this year.

hiromoto45

Postby hiromoto45 » Wed Mar 17, 2010 5:24 pm

JCougar wrote:

Even WUSTL will not know the answer to this question until the seat deposit deadline. They're probably being extremely careful this year to avoid what happened to Minnesota last year. There's no advantage in a school rejecting or WLing people before they absolutely need to. Applications are up but the total number of people applying hasn't risen at the same rate, which means more people are applying to more schools. That's likely to mess with yeld rates this year, so I'm guessing WUSTL is going to use the seat deposit deadline to give them an indication of potential yield this year.

What happened at Minnesota?

finalaspects

Postby finalaspects » Wed Mar 17, 2010 5:29 pm

hiromoto45 wrote:
JCougar wrote:

What happened at Minnesota?

overfilled a class

JCougar

Postby JCougar » Wed Mar 17, 2010 5:45 pm

hiromoto45 wrote:What happened at Minnesota?

From what I gathered on here, their yield rate last year was lower than expected, and they had to call up people they rejected (yield protected) above their LSAT median and offer an acceptance plus a scholarship. In other words, their LSAT median almost dropped from 167 to 166.

Miami was the one that overfilled their class.

MissLucky

Postby MissLucky » Thu Mar 18, 2010 10:57 am

JCougar wrote:
hiromoto45 wrote:What happened at Minnesota?

From what I gathered on here, their yield rate last year was lower than expected, and they had to call up people they rejected (yield protected) above their LSAT median and offer an acceptance plus a scholarship. In other words, their LSAT median almost dropped from 167 to 166.

Miami was the one that overfilled their class.

who is the dean of admissions at wash u?

jadjerd

Postby jadjerd » Thu Mar 18, 2010 11:18 am

This is sort of academic at this point, but does anybody have any idea why I wouldn't have rec'd any response yet with these stats and dates? Everyone else has gotten full-rides it seems like... no points against me, this is just weird.

170/3.8
Complete 12/16 (status changed again to complete 2/3).

Is it b/c I'm from the Lou and they want only East-coasters?

thanks for any info!

fl0w

Postby fl0w » Thu Mar 18, 2010 11:20 am

jadjerd wrote:This is sort of academic at this point, but does anybody have any idea why I wouldn't have rec'd any response yet with these stats and dates? Everyone else has gotten full-rides it seems like... no points against me, this is just weird.

170/3.8

thanks for any info!

I'm complete 12/21 and have not heard anything since. Should I be calling them to ask what's going on?

fl0w

Postby fl0w » Thu Mar 18, 2010 11:24 am

fl0w wrote:
jadjerd wrote:This is sort of academic at this point, but does anybody have any idea why I wouldn't have rec'd any response yet with these stats and dates? Everyone else has gotten full-rides it seems like... no points against me, this is just weird.

170/3.8

thanks for any info!

I'm complete 12/21 and have not heard anything since. Should I be calling them to ask what's going on?

bleh, i just called them. Admissions said they are aiming to render decisions the remainder of the outstanding files by the end of March.

beast510

Postby beast510 » Thu Mar 18, 2010 3:22 pm

fl0w wrote:
fl0w wrote:

170/3.8

thanks for any info!

bleh, i just called them. Admissions said they are aiming to render decisions the remainder of the outstanding files by the end of March.

Called again just now. Same reply. Guess we the "remainders" would get our decision email soon.

fl0w

Postby fl0w » Thu Mar 18, 2010 3:28 pm

beast510 wrote:
fl0w wrote:bleh, i just called them. Admissions said they are aiming to render decisions the remainder of the outstanding files by the end of March.

Called again just now. Same reply. Guess we the "remainders" would get our decision email soon.

yeah, sometime in the next 13 days or so. That's what they are "shooting for", anyway.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”