For WUSTL Applicants

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
calgal17

Re: For WUSTL Applicants

Postby calgal17 » Mon Mar 15, 2010 5:22 pm

Cale39 wrote:
calgal17 wrote:I'm IN by email! :D

Congrats. Can I ask your stats?

164 3.8

finalaspects

Postby finalaspects » Mon Mar 15, 2010 5:26 pm

calgal17 wrote:
Cale39 wrote:
calgal17 wrote:I'm IN by email! :D

Congrats. Can I ask your stats?

164 3.8

maybe they accepted enough high LSAT scores now... and they need high GPA's. too bad im a splitter =I

iheartucla

Postby iheartucla » Mon Mar 15, 2010 6:43 pm

in via email today!!!! Finally! Going to try and visit this weekend!!

Andrew the Wolverine

Postby Andrew the Wolverine » Mon Mar 15, 2010 7:01 pm

iheartucla wrote:in via email today!!!! Finally! Going to try and visit this weekend!!

When did you go complete?

JCougar

Postby JCougar » Mon Mar 15, 2010 9:59 pm

iheartucla wrote:in via email today!!!! Finally! Going to try and visit this weekend!!

And what were your numbers?

chicoalto0649

Postby chicoalto0649 » Mon Mar 15, 2010 10:00 pm

JCougar wrote:

And what were your numbers?

iheartucla must be a noob :roll:

missvik218

Postby missvik218 » Tue Mar 16, 2010 12:13 pm

Lalalawyer0102 wrote:Hi everyone

I have a couple of questions. Has anyone who was admitted on 2/23 heard about scholarship info?

What are people wearing to Admitted Students Day events? Sorry if it seems like a silly question. I don't want to be over or under dressed.

Thanks

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=103556

sibley wrote:
Andrew the Wolverine wrote:
sibley wrote:Email from WashU today:

Your financial aid file is complete and your award letter is scheduled to go out by email this week.

When did your file go complete?

I got my status checker on 12/29 and was admitted on Feb 2. Got my scholar in law award Feb 25. And I did my FAFSA the 2nd week of Feb.

This is VERY exciting news!!

sibley wrote:Wash U doesn't pay for your hotel, do they? The $200 stipend will only cover my flight =/ doesn't leave any left over for transportation, food, hotel.

And nope, I think they give $200 ... it covers that it covers. For me it's looking like 1/2 of my flight and a night in a hotel by the airport (I found one for $49.95!!).

MBZags

Postby MBZags » Tue Mar 16, 2010 2:47 pm

Yeah, I just got the ASD packet, and they'll reimburse for both transportation and one night of lodging.

smartblonde87

Postby smartblonde87 » Tue Mar 16, 2010 3:48 pm

sibley wrote:
Lalalawyer0102 wrote:Hi everyone

I have a couple of questions. Has anyone who was admitted on 2/23 heard about scholarship info?

What are people wearing to Admitted Students Day events? Sorry if it seems like a silly question. I don't want to be over or under dressed.

Thanks

They already let you in. I say jeans and a nice top.

+1

luckyjd

Postby luckyjd » Tue Mar 16, 2010 4:10 pm

So I called to see if I could negotiate scholly money. They told me that they won't know until after deposit deadline 4/1 ... but if I choose to place a deposit down, it would be refundable if I change my mind based on financials before 5/1 ...

Any thoughts on taking WUSTL's offer and putting two deposits down? Will the other school (e.g. UIUC) mind?

tomhaverford

Postby tomhaverford » Tue Mar 16, 2010 5:15 pm

luckyjd wrote:So I called to see if I could negotiate scholly money. They told me that they won't know until after deposit deadline 4/1 ... but if I choose to place a deposit down, it would be refundable if I change my mind based on financials before 5/1 ...

Any thoughts on taking WUSTL's offer and putting two deposits down? Will the other school (e.g. UIUC) mind?

I believe Dean Pless from UIUC said they specifically will not revoke acceptances if you put down 2 different deposits. They will know about it and won't love the fact that it is done. But there certainly won't be any ramifications as far as UIUC is concerned. For other schools, people should check up at each individual school.

dvd

Postby dvd » Tue Mar 16, 2010 5:15 pm

`
Last edited by dvd on Thu Jul 01, 2010 1:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

chicoalto0649

Postby chicoalto0649 » Tue Mar 16, 2010 7:49 pm

What's worse? Having your third status change and no acceptance e-mail or still on your second status check and when you call the admissions woman says "no decision" yet.....

keemos

Postby keemos » Wed Mar 17, 2010 11:20 am

chicoalto0649 wrote:What's worse? Having your third status change and no acceptance e-mail or still on your second status check and when you call the admissions woman says "no decision" yet.....

+1

nyyankees

Postby nyyankees » Wed Mar 17, 2010 3:33 pm

just got my financial aid package offer. Not entirely sure how to interpret it. I understand stafford (subsidized and unsubsidized) to be federal loans and i would assume Graduate plus loans are through a private lender (correct?).

I guess my question is, what does this mean? I would assume a higher amount of stafford loans is preferable to a higher amount of graduate plus loans? What is a "higher amount"? Is there some multiple of your EFC that should be covered in stafford/graduate plus?

jc631

Postby jc631 » Wed Mar 17, 2010 3:41 pm

nyyankees wrote:just got my financial aid package offer. Not entirely sure how to interpret it. I understand stafford (subsidized and unsubsidized) to be federal loans and i would assume Graduate plus loans are through a private lender (correct?).

I guess my question is, what does this mean? I would assume a higher amount of stafford loans is preferable to a higher amount of graduate plus loans? What is a "higher amount"? Is there some multiple of your EFC that should be covered in stafford/graduate plus?

I think the higher amount would be the full 20,500 (8,500 subsidized and 12,000 unsubsidized). I have no clue about determining how much you should be eligible for though. Hope that helps!

sibley

Postby sibley » Wed Mar 17, 2010 3:47 pm

Just got this too. Covers full tuition for me, plus living expenses (in combination with my SIL award). But I really don't want to take out that much in loans a year. Was hoping for a grant or something.

hiromoto45

Postby hiromoto45 » Wed Mar 17, 2010 3:50 pm

chicoalto0649 wrote:What's worse? Having your third status change and no acceptance e-mail or still on your second status check and when you call the admissions woman says "no decision" yet.....

I think the former is worse because a decision could have been made and mostly likely negative at this point. No decision just means (speculating) they haven't made a decision, so there is still hope.

finalaspects

Postby finalaspects » Wed Mar 17, 2010 3:54 pm

hiromoto45 wrote:

I think the former is worse because a decision could have been made and mostly likely negative at this point. No decision just means (speculating) they haven't made a decision, so there is still hope.

i think both are equally bad at this point. first, if they are going to reject you or waitlist you, they would not have made a decision, unless you applied really late. They send out rejections and waitlists at the end... so no decision might just be that they're waiting until april....

jks289

Postby jks289 » Wed Mar 17, 2010 3:56 pm

sibley wrote:Just got this too. Covers full tuition for me, plus living expenses (in combination with my SIL award). But I really don't want to take out that much in loans a year. Was hoping for a grant or something.

I was hoping for some need based grants as well. I guess this means they aren't going to negotiate SIL awards since they never answered my email and the amount is the same on this. Did anyone get a bump?

najumobi

Postby najumobi » Wed Mar 17, 2010 4:03 pm

sibley wrote:Just got this too. Covers full tuition for me, plus living expenses (in combination with my SIL award). But I really don't want to take out that much in loans a year. Was hoping for a grant or something.
i think the only schools where you should expect or even count on receiving grant aid are YHS. for all others need based aid is basically just loan aid.

sibley

Postby sibley » Wed Mar 17, 2010 4:05 pm

najumobi wrote:
i think the only schools where you should expect or even count on receiving grant aid are YHS. for all others need based aid is basically just loan aid.

Cardozo I'm pretty sure has some need-based grants, as do a few other schools. You'd expect it from the richer schools, and WashU is a richer school. You get yours today too, Naju? 60k in three years just for housing? =) Mr. full-ride.

najumobi

Postby najumobi » Wed Mar 17, 2010 4:15 pm

sibley wrote:
najumobi wrote:

Cardozo I'm pretty sure has some need-based grants, as do a few other schools. You'd expect it from the richer schools, and WashU is a richer school. You get yours today too, Naju? 60k in three years just for housing? =) Mr. full-ride.
ha. please stop. i didn't realize it was already time to submit need-based aid applications until this week, so i'm still working on getting mine in.

have any idea which school(s) you'll be putting down a deposit for? i'll just be paying a deposit for wustl and waiting it out on the vandy waitlist and cornell deferred group.
Last edited by najumobi on Wed Mar 17, 2010 4:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Geist13

Postby Geist13 » Wed Mar 17, 2010 4:16 pm

sibley wrote:
najumobi wrote:

My financial aid email did include some need based money. I got 2.5K a year in perkins loans, which are need based federal loans fixed at a 5% interest, which is lower than stafford or grad plus. It's a negligible amount, but perkins loans are still need based.

My question is: why do i qualify for need based perkins loans at some schools and not others? If it is a federal loan and not a scholarship, shouldn't my eligibility be the same regardless of school?

Mosca

Postby Mosca » Wed Mar 17, 2010 4:19 pm

Geist13 wrote:My question is: why do i qualify for need based perkins loans at some schools and not others? If it is a federal loan and not a scholarship, shouldn't my eligibility be the same regardless of school?

I'm curious about this as well. I qualified for a perkins loan at another school but not at WUSTL.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”