For WUSTL Applicants

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
finalaspects

Re: For WUSTL Applicants

Postby finalaspects » Mon Mar 08, 2010 6:32 pm

utcris410 wrote:
finalaspects wrote:
Snoopy1216 wrote:
finalaspects wrote:so there's 2 acceptances on the 26th according to LSN. if that's true, the 2 weeks actually occurs on the 12th.... uh oh...

But don't accepted ppl find out about scholarships later? I think the two on the 26th just updated, because they both show scholarships...

that might be. but why would they change their decision dates? i don't think they're linked, although someone changed it to day, but i think he just withdrew. question is why did all 3 of them change their decision dates?

Sometimes LSN automatically changes your date when you update. I hate when it does that!

well that's good. then historically based on patterns from WUSTL the last 2 years... tomorrow will have mass acceptances... let's all hope for the best.

motedust

Postby motedust » Mon Mar 08, 2010 6:56 pm

Man I'm feeling way behind!!! I just went complete for the first time today! Submitted last week.

wizoz

Postby wizoz » Mon Mar 08, 2010 7:30 pm

motedust wrote:Man I'm feeling way behind!!! I just went complete for the first time today! Submitted last week.

I'm in the same boat. I also submitted last week but my status has not gone to complete yet. Did you get that email from Ms. Clifford asking you to apply? Is that why you applied l8? It's my reason.

motedust

Postby motedust » Mon Mar 08, 2010 7:42 pm

wizoz wrote:
motedust wrote:Man I'm feeling way behind!!! I just went complete for the first time today! Submitted last week.

I'm in the same boat. I also submitted last week but my status has not gone to complete yet. Did you get that email from Ms. Clifford asking you to apply? Is that why you applied l8? It's my reason.

I actually submitted my app the day I got my my February LSAT (2/27) and got an e-mail from Clifford after the fact. I forgot to send my resume in with my application so Anna Donovan e-mailed me on Friday telling me I needed that to go complete. Sent it on Saturday and now I'm complete 3/8.

Cale39

Postby Cale39 » Mon Mar 08, 2010 7:51 pm

Gahh I still haven't gotten an email.

So nerve-wracking

finalaspects

Postby finalaspects » Mon Mar 08, 2010 7:53 pm

Cale39 wrote:Gahh I still haven't gotten an email.

So nerve-wracking

3rd update might just be an update without an acceptance. it might come tomorrow though but there is no guarantee that a 3rd update means you'll get an email that day.

wizoz

Postby wizoz » Mon Mar 08, 2010 7:54 pm

motedust wrote:
wizoz wrote:

I actually submitted my app the day I got my my February LSAT (2/27) and got an e-mail from Clifford after the fact. I forgot to send my resume in with my application so Anna Donovan e-mailed me on Friday telling me I needed that to go complete. Sent it on Saturday and now I'm complete 3/8.

Oh i see. Mine went like this: got Feb lsat 2/27, got clifford email on 3/2. submitted complete app on 3/3. got app status checker email on 3/4 and it has yet to say app complete. i think my app is behind yours because even though i sent in a finished application, i still submitted after the 3/1 suggested deadline so that makes sense.

Cale39

Postby Cale39 » Mon Mar 08, 2010 7:57 pm

finalaspects wrote:
Cale39 wrote:Gahh I still haven't gotten an email.

So nerve-wracking

3rd update might just be an update without an acceptance. it might come tomorrow though but there is no guarantee that a 3rd update means you'll get an email that day.

ahhh, ill just shut up then

jman77

Postby jman77 » Mon Mar 08, 2010 8:02 pm

ticklememauve wrote:
jman77 wrote:
Sauer Grapes wrote:
jman77 wrote:Anyone here seriously considering the TLP program at WUSTL?

Just got the email. Since it results in spending only 5 semesters at WUSTL, your scholarship will be cut by 1/5 and you will only get 5/6th the total amount.

I may still consider it.

I hear you... 20% would be pretty substantial for me (and you as well, from your profile). However, the prospect of getting an LLM from Utrecht in addition to the JD from WUSTL, and the whole host of opportunities that opens up, is very, very intriguing. I am looking to specialize in healthcare and M&A (corporate), so the international/comparative law angle of the program is very enticing to me. M&A's nowadays typically transcend national borders...

The TLP is why WUSTL is my top choice; but I need to be accepted first. Not likely, but a girl can wish....

I am finishing my MA in Bioethics right now, so I really want to specialize in health and international law. I think there is a definite future there.

I have been calculating the incremental costs associated with entering the TLP. For me, that would be about $24K in lost scholarship + $16K for the 4th year in Utrecht. That's a pretty hefty sum that may just preclude me from deciding to apply/enter the program.

In the TLP FAQ, however, they mentioned that they were working out some options for students who are in the program to obtain some type of scholarship/financial aid covering the 4th year. That would certainly be a deal-clincher for me.
Last edited by jman77 on Mon Mar 08, 2010 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jman77

Postby jman77 » Mon Mar 08, 2010 8:13 pm

hotpants wrote:For people applying to the TLP: what are you looking to do with it?

I am looking to specialize in corporate law with a focus on mergers & acquisitions. As the recent Kraft-Cadbury merger exemplifies (US-based Kraft and UK-based Cadbury), these mega-transactions typically span across borders and are thus implicated by various laws/legal systems.

I am pretty certain that corporate attorneys with the type of specialized training afforded by the TLP will have an edge as businesses become more globalized... pretty sure this program will become a much bigger draw in the coming years and wouldn't be surprised if the other top law schools follow suit.

LSHPFL10

Postby LSHPFL10 » Mon Mar 08, 2010 10:54 pm

I realize this has probably already been mentioned, but has a consensus been reached on what it means when your application status date changes to a more recent date, but the status itself still simply reads complete...?

Thanks in advance.

Xiaolong

Postby Xiaolong » Tue Mar 09, 2010 1:02 am

jman77 wrote:
hotpants wrote:For people applying to the TLP: what are you looking to do with it?

I am looking to specialize in corporate law with a focus on mergers & acquisitions. As the recent Kraft-Cadbury merger exemplifies (US-based Kraft and UK-based Cadbury), these mega-transactions typically span across borders and are thus implicated by various laws/legal systems.

I am pretty certain that corporate attorneys with the type of specialized training afforded by the TLP will have an edge as businesses become more globalized... pretty sure this program will become a much bigger draw in the coming years and wouldn't be surprised if the other top law schools follow suit.

I am also interested in the TLP. I am wondering though how much of a competitive advantage completion of the program is, especially for people who are already fluent in a second language? Considering the extra cost and time associated with the program, I would only want to do it if it gives one a real advantage rather than just intellectual enrichement. Any opinions on that? I am hestitant to apply.

jman77

Postby jman77 » Tue Mar 09, 2010 2:24 am

Xiaolong wrote:
jman77 wrote:

I am also interested in the TLP. I am wondering though how much of a competitive advantage completion of the program is, especially for people who are already fluent in a second language? Considering the extra cost and time associated with the program, I would only want to do it if it gives one a real advantage rather than just intellectual enrichement. Any opinions on that? I am hestitant to apply.

From what I understand, the thrust of the program is not so much that you will learn a second language; in fact, demonstrated ability to learn a second language is one of the qualifications they look for in applicants to the program.

The main draw of the program is that candidates will be trained in both US and European jurisprudence, and will thus be able to function effectively in a transnational/transcontinental setting.

If you are planning on working for a multinational corporation or a law firm that caters to multinational conglomerates that conduct business in both the US and Europe, you will certainly have a competitive advantage over attorneys who are only well-versed in one set of laws or the other. It may also open up avenues into other areas of the law. The link below is a very useful source of information regarding the TLP.

http://law.wustl.edu/international/index.asp?id=6420

Edit: The TLP may not necessarily be confined to US and European law and may encompass international law in general, but I would imagine those 2 will comprise the basic framework due to the locations of the participating schools.

Encyclopedia Brown

Postby Encyclopedia Brown » Tue Mar 09, 2010 7:04 am

It's Tuesday again (and two weeks since the last big wave of acceptances). Good luck to everyone...

...especially 2/3 splitters.

Chelios

Postby Chelios » Tue Mar 09, 2010 10:43 am

Hopefully today's the day

Good luck to all of us 2/4 and 2/3's out there :D

MissLucky

Postby MissLucky » Tue Mar 09, 2010 10:44 am

Chelios wrote:Hopefully today's the day

+1 :D POSITIVE VIBES. man I would LOVE to get accepted today

initech

Postby initech » Tue Mar 09, 2010 11:00 am

I will be withdrawing my application today. I'm lucky to be participating in Teach For America for the next two years, after which I plan on re-applying to law schools. I hope my spot opens up someone's chances.

finalaspects

Postby finalaspects » Tue Mar 09, 2010 11:29 am

Chelios wrote:Hopefully today's the day

Good luck to all the 2/23ers too =)

Andrew the Wolverine

Postby Andrew the Wolverine » Tue Mar 09, 2010 11:30 am

I haven't been following this thread, so apologies if it's already been answered, but are Tuesdays when WUSTL sends out decisions?

JCougar

Postby JCougar » Tue Mar 09, 2010 12:03 pm

motedust wrote:
wizoz wrote:

I similarly applied Sunday after I got my February LSAT score, got my status checker e-mail the next Monday morning, but I'm still at "received" status. Haven't gone complete yet, and it's beginning to unnerve me.

Chelios

Postby Chelios » Tue Mar 09, 2010 12:51 pm

Andrew the Wolverine wrote:I haven't been following this thread, so apologies if it's already been answered, but are Tuesdays when WUSTL sends out decisions?

Usually Tues or Thurs this year, and generally no more than 14 days apart. Today is fourteen days after the last wave of acceptances.

adk6

Postby adk6 » Tue Mar 09, 2010 1:23 pm

Chelios wrote:
Andrew the Wolverine wrote:I haven't been following this thread, so apologies if it's already been answered, but are Tuesdays when WUSTL sends out decisions?

Usually Tues or Thurs this year, and generally no more than 14 days apart. Today is fourteen days after the last wave of acceptances.

Good luck everyone!

Andrew the Wolverine

Postby Andrew the Wolverine » Tue Mar 09, 2010 2:35 pm

Any chance they are still going to send out decisions today? I don't know what time of day is likely to be too late.

cr073137

Postby cr073137 » Tue Mar 09, 2010 2:38 pm

Andrew the Wolverine wrote:Any chance they are still going to send out decisions today? I don't know what time of day is likely to be too late.

Last thing I heard was that they sent them out at 6:00Pm EST. So we still have to wait a few hrs.

motedust

Postby motedust » Tue Mar 09, 2010 2:44 pm

JCougar wrote:
motedust wrote:
wizoz wrote:

I similarly applied Sunday after I got my February LSAT score, got my status checker e-mail the next Monday morning, but I'm still at "received" status. Haven't gone complete yet, and it's beginning to unnerve me.

Well it'll probably happen soon. We're just about identical numbers-wise with the same major haha. I applied 3/1 to a bunch of schools and have still not heard back from them at all (ND, GWU, and Iowa).

3 updates is a long ways away WUSTL!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”