For WUSTL Applicants

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.

Re: For WUSTL Applicants

Postby 342848386278 » Fri Feb 26, 2010 2:10 pm

Rawlsian wrote:South=Slave states as of 1860.

TITCR.

In all seriousness though, how does WUSTL really do placement-wise outside of the south and mid-atlantic? I've gotten the impression that it doesn't do so well up in New England / NYC / Philly...?

chicoalto0649

Postby chicoalto0649 » Fri Feb 26, 2010 2:11 pm

342848386278 wrote:

TITCR.

In all seriousness though, how does WUSTL really do placement-wise outside of the south and mid-atlantic? I've gotten the impression that it doesn't do so well up in New England / NYC / Philly...?

[url]
http://law.wustl.edu/career_services/index.asp?ID=459[/url]

They're really trying to work on their national placement, the link above is slightly outdated but still interesting.

Sauer Grapes

Postby Sauer Grapes » Fri Feb 26, 2010 2:14 pm

Last edited by Sauer Grapes on Sun Aug 22, 2010 11:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

missvik218

Postby missvik218 » Fri Feb 26, 2010 2:19 pm

342848386278 wrote:

TITCR.

How do they even do here? I've always considered their primary market to be the mid west.

cheesus

Postby cheesus » Fri Feb 26, 2010 2:40 pm

Have not got my USB in the mail yet, and admitted 2/2.

Also got my scholarship 9k/year. 171, 3.47, and underwhelmed because of UIUC and ND $$

sluguy14

Postby sluguy14 » Fri Feb 26, 2010 2:49 pm

cendien wrote:Any idea on how they react to merit award negotiations? I've got substantially larger offers at both UIUC and Minnesota (and I'm waiting on offers from BU and Emory and W&L). Would these be decent leverage to possibly get more aid? I really like WUSTL, though $5k/year compared to $20k at Minn or UIUC is a hard pill to swallow.

Also, when should I attempt to talk to them about this? Should I wait a few weeks/see if more offers come in? Or would calling them sooner be better?

I can confirm that, at least as of a few years ago, an award from Minnesota was substantial grounds for negotiating with WUSTL. (Specifically, the guy I'm referring to had received $17k/year from Minnesota and used it to get $20k/year from WUSTL).

It seems to me that if Minnesota can be used as leverage, an Illinois scholarship would be just as good (if not better).

luckyjd

Postby luckyjd » Fri Feb 26, 2010 3:07 pm

sluguy14 wrote:
cendien wrote:Any idea on how they react to merit award negotiations? I've got substantially larger offers at both UIUC and Minnesota (and I'm waiting on offers from BU and Emory and W&L). Would these be decent leverage to possibly get more aid? I really like WUSTL, though $5k/year compared to $20k at Minn or UIUC is a hard pill to swallow.

Also, when should I attempt to talk to them about this? Should I wait a few weeks/see if more offers come in? Or would calling them sooner be better?

I can confirm that, at least as of a few years ago, an award from Minnesota was substantial grounds for negotiating with WUSTL. (Specifically, the guy I'm referring to had received $17k/year from Minnesota and used it to get $20k/year from WUSTL).

It seems to me that if Minnesota can be used as leverage, an Illinois scholarship would be just as good (if not better).

Seems to be a lot of UIUC>>WUSTL offers out there though... not sure if it'll be much leverage.

nyyankees

Postby nyyankees » Fri Feb 26, 2010 3:19 pm

and in the 2500th post of the thread....i finally got the flash drive!! :lol:

crombot

Postby crombot » Fri Feb 26, 2010 3:38 pm

luckyjd wrote:
sluguy14 wrote:

Seems to be a lot of UIUC>>WUSTL offers out there though... not sure if it'll be much leverage.

I agree. Unless they were initially going to give me less $$ and upped to a whopping 10k a year once they saw my 30k/yr UIUC offer....then it shows what they think of UIUC. Not much?

Neil

Postby Neil » Fri Feb 26, 2010 3:45 pm

crombot wrote:
missvik218 wrote:
Neil wrote:
PUPPIES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

*ahem*

:lol:

Haha, you guys are funny. Looks like we all will be going our separate TLS ways soon though.. :(

And yeah, I'm kinda ruling out any kind of negotiation on my part at this point, considering they already knew my UIUC offer. Really, what are my options? Use the stipend, go and meet the deans face to face, put down a $200 deposit (at which point they will be notified that I have a deposit down at another school) and try to use that as a tool? I don't know if that is a worthwhile exercise.

And after I sent them my letter & copy of the UIUC offer, they sent me an e-mail just saying they'd add it to my file.

Haha, glad to see Chico is joining in the fun as well.

Thanks for the info. Doesn't inspire confidence, but I will hold out hope!

As for our TLS fates... there's still a reasonable chance I'll end up at UIUC, and it sounds like that's your top choice. The big obstacle is that it's the same price for me as Minnesota, and if I'm going to end up in a cold Midwestern city, it would make more sense for me to go back to my family in MN. One of WUSTL's big draws for me is that it would be significantly warmer than UMN. But UIUC does have a certain appeal as well, and I do love softball... I'm sure there will be a lot of back and forth yet before I choose a school...

imisscollege

Postby imisscollege » Fri Feb 26, 2010 3:48 pm

just got an email for 20/year. not bad. it might warrant a visit to the place.

webbylu87

Postby webbylu87 » Fri Feb 26, 2010 5:01 pm

crombot wrote:And yeah, I'm kinda ruling out any kind of negotiation on my part at this point, considering they already knew my UIUC offer. Really, what are my options? Use the stipend, go and meet the deans face to face, put down a $200 deposit (at which point they will be notified that I have a deposit down at another school) and try to use that as a tool? I don't know if that is a worthwhile exercise.

And after I sent them my letter & copy of the UIUC offer, they sent me an e-mail just saying they'd add it to my file.

so did you notify them of your UIUC acceptance and scholarship offer before you were even accepted at WUSTL? i've been accepted with money at UIUC but am also looking at WUSTL but my LSAT is below their median. do you think it helped get you accepted at all? i'm just wondering if they consider UIUC as somewhat of a peer school and if should send my letter in.

Neil

Postby Neil » Fri Feb 26, 2010 5:19 pm

webbylu87 wrote:
crombot wrote:And yeah, I'm kinda ruling out any kind of negotiation on my part at this point, considering they already knew my UIUC offer. Really, what are my options? Use the stipend, go and meet the deans face to face, put down a $200 deposit (at which point they will be notified that I have a deposit down at another school) and try to use that as a tool? I don't know if that is a worthwhile exercise.

so did you notify them of your UIUC acceptance and scholarship offer before you were even accepted at WUSTL? i've been accepted with money at UIUC but am also looking at WUSTL but my LSAT is below their median. do you think it helped get you accepted at all? i'm just wondering if they consider UIUC as somewhat of a peer school and if should send my letter in.

I'm fairly certain she meant she sent her UIUC offer after she was accepted to WUSTL but before she received her scholarship offer. I would strongly advise against sending your UIUC letter in before receiving a decision.

webbylu87

Postby webbylu87 » Fri Feb 26, 2010 5:28 pm

Neil wrote:
webbylu87 wrote:

I'm fairly certain she meant she sent her UIUC offer after she was accepted to WUSTL but before she received her scholarship offer. I would strongly advise against sending your UIUC letter in before receiving a decision.

ah ha. yeah, i wasn't even considering it until i thought someone had done so successfully. i thought it sounded odd. just curious.

mdgold

Postby mdgold » Fri Feb 26, 2010 7:57 pm

Just got my USB- but there is nothing on it? Should I just email them asking for a new one? kinda weird

crombot

Postby crombot » Fri Feb 26, 2010 9:54 pm

webbylu87 wrote:
Neil wrote:
webbylu87 wrote:

ah ha. yeah, i wasn't even considering it until i thought someone had done so successfully. i thought it sounded odd. just curious.

haha, umm yes, i did wait until a few weeks AFTER my WUSTL acceptance.

Chairman

Postby Chairman » Sat Feb 27, 2010 12:14 pm

mdgold wrote:Just got my USB- but there is nothing on it? Should I just email them asking for a new one? kinda weird

IIRC, the USB drive is split into two partitions--one blank (for your junk) and the other with all the WUSTL stuff. Plug it in again and see if two new drive letters show up.

panadera

Postby panadera » Sat Feb 27, 2010 12:47 pm

I'm so thrilled about the scholarship... but it's really making my decision hard. I had already mentally committed to another school. WUSTL, you toy with me!
Anyone else in a similar boat?

Rand M.

Postby Rand M. » Sat Feb 27, 2010 12:50 pm

panadera wrote:I'm so thrilled about the scholarship... but it's really making my decision hard. I had already mentally committed to another school. WUSTL, you toy with me!
Anyone else in a similar boat?

Full scholly here...mentally committed to another school, but I can't say that I am really swayed. I'm still mentally committed. Any sway lasted a few minutes, then dissipated.

shadu

Postby shadu » Sat Feb 27, 2010 2:42 pm

20k per year

3.4x 168

Did not think I would get a scholarship. Feels good.

nowinGA

Postby nowinGA » Sat Feb 27, 2010 4:58 pm

got in to WUSTL last week and email said I was being considered for "Scholars in Law" scholarship...

Any ideas what this usually amounts to, should I get it? Is it all over the map, in terms of amounts...or is there a general range?

Thanks!

DOOM

Postby DOOM » Sat Feb 27, 2010 5:00 pm

nowinGA wrote:got in to WUSTL last week and email said I was being considered for "Scholars in Law" scholarship...

Any ideas what this usually amounts to, should I get it? Is it all over the map, in terms of amounts...or is there a general range?

Thanks!

amounts are all over the map and dont always seem to correlate with LSAT/GPA numbers. feels like a lottery.

I've heard worse case scenario of 3k total amounts to 126k! and since you just got an email last week, it may be awhile before you hear back about money. expect an email. good luck.

hiromoto45

Postby hiromoto45 » Sat Feb 27, 2010 5:01 pm

Have any 2/3 heard anything?

nowinGA

Postby nowinGA » Sat Feb 27, 2010 5:03 pm

DOOM wrote:
nowinGA wrote:got in to WUSTL last week and email said I was being considered for "Scholars in Law" scholarship...

Thanks!

amounts are all over the map and dont always seem to correlate with LSAT/GPA numbers. feels like a lottery.

I've heard worse case scenario of 3k total amounts to 126k! and since you just got an email last week, it may be awhile before you hear back about money. expect an email. good luck.

Thanks. I did email them asking when they were expecting to make scholarship decisions. The response (which was very poorly written and strange) said that "older" admitted students would find out within about a week and "newer admitted students" (which I guess I am) would be in a few weeks...The acceptance was Tuesday and the scholarship response was Thursday...

stratocophic

Postby stratocophic » Sat Feb 27, 2010 5:05 pm

hiromoto45 wrote:Have any 2/3 heard anything?

Got my SIL email 2/25 while en route to the ASD.

Side note: Still regretting having to bail on the barcrawl.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”