For WUSTL Applicants

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
cendien

Re: For WUSTL Applicants

Postby cendien » Fri Feb 26, 2010 1:40 am

Any idea on how they react to merit award negotiations? I've got substantially larger offers at both UIUC and Minnesota (and I'm waiting on offers from BU and Emory and W&L). Would these be decent leverage to possibly get more aid? I really like WUSTL, though $5k/year compared to $20k at Minn or UIUC is a hard pill to swallow.

Also, when should I attempt to talk to them about this? Should I wait a few weeks/see if more offers come in? Or would calling them sooner be better?

legalzoom

Postby legalzoom » Fri Feb 26, 2010 2:07 am

tomhaverford wrote:
legalzoom wrote:For those of you disappointed in your award amounts, at least you didnt get a scholarship offer of $2,000/yr. Seriously Wash U, wtf? Granted, my numbers suck but that's almost insulting. Looks I'm off to UIUC in the fall....

Dude I've got you beat. Same LSAT, above 3.0 GPA. 1K a year. I think they wanted to pay for about 2 months of rent for me and then see if I withdraw after that.

Any reason why paying about 13K a year at UIUC is better than paying about 40K a year at Wash U? Other than St. Louis probably being a little more fun than Champaign, I don't see it.

Just to clear it up, I'm not bitter. A little amused and a little curious to see how much I can get Wash U's offer up to.

Damn, I didnt think I'd get beat. That's like winning $10 in the Powerball. It seems like applicants from prior cycles received more $$. Oh well.

jbrowning82

Postby jbrowning82 » Fri Feb 26, 2010 2:43 am

$10,000/year

Gonna take $20k/yr at Notre Dame though so I hope it goes to someone else here.

BlankC

Postby BlankC » Fri Feb 26, 2010 3:51 am

Money came today in the emails after a horrible day of sleet, rejections, and interviewing!

37k/year. 169/3.4. Holy moly.

thaddjoog

Postby thaddjoog » Fri Feb 26, 2010 4:05 am

I am a deferred student from last cycle. My scholarship increased from $24,000 to $105,000. I was both shocked and very thankful.

Stephanie13

Postby Stephanie13 » Fri Feb 26, 2010 4:17 am

I feel like I am the only admitted student that did not get offered any money by the looks of it. I am still very grateful to have been admitted with my numbers but WUSTL is awfully expensive...

mgiven

Postby mgiven » Fri Feb 26, 2010 6:15 am

Stephanie13 wrote:I feel like I am the only admitted student that did not get offered any money by the looks of it. I am still very grateful to have been admitted with my numbers but WUSTL is awfully expensive...

+1

I got in Tuesday and am 167/3.85 and have gotten no money emails. (Though I did get the 200 stipend.) Does this mean I'm out of the running?

nyyankees

Postby nyyankees » Fri Feb 26, 2010 6:55 am

mgiven wrote:
Stephanie13 wrote:I feel like I am the only admitted student that did not get offered any money by the looks of it. I am still very grateful to have been admitted with my numbers but WUSTL is awfully expensive...

+1

I got in Tuesday and am 167/3.85 and have gotten no money emails. (Though I did get the 200 stipend.) Does this mean I'm out of the running?

someone with similar numbers got 72k yesterday. Id say you'll get something soonish

crombot

Postby crombot » Fri Feb 26, 2010 10:53 am

cendien wrote:Any idea on how they react to merit award negotiations? I've got substantially larger offers at both UIUC and Minnesota (and I'm waiting on offers from BU and Emory and W&L). Would these be decent leverage to possibly get more aid? I really like WUSTL, though $5k/year compared to $20k at Minn or UIUC is a hard pill to swallow.

Also, when should I attempt to talk to them about this? Should I wait a few weeks/see if more offers come in? Or would calling them sooner be better?

I wonder how they feel about UIUC stealing all of their potential students by seducing us with hard to turn down offers...?

FWIW, I actually sent WUSTL my UIUC offer letter for consideration shortly after being admitted. It seems they gave me enough to say 'if she REALLY wants us, she will pay the extra $$' but not enough to really make WUSTL a serious contender (in my eyes).

Neil

Postby Neil » Fri Feb 26, 2010 10:56 am

mgiven wrote:

+1

So both of you got in Tuesday. If I were you, I would only worry if other people who got in Tuesday or later did receive a scholarship offer yesterday. My assumption is that they simply haven't sent out offers to extremely recent admits yet. Most of us who got the e-mails yesterday had been admitted for a while. Of course, I don't know any better than anybody else here.... just saying I wouldn't worry yet if I were you...

Neil

Postby Neil » Fri Feb 26, 2010 11:33 am

crombot wrote:
cendien wrote:Any idea on how they react to merit award negotiations? I've got substantially larger offers at both UIUC and Minnesota (and I'm waiting on offers from BU and Emory and W&L). Would these be decent leverage to possibly get more aid? I really like WUSTL, though $5k/year compared to $20k at Minn or UIUC is a hard pill to swallow.

I wonder how they feel about UIUC stealing all of their potential students by seducing us with hard to turn down offers...?

FWIW, I actually sent WUSTL my UIUC offer letter for consideration shortly after being admitted. It seems they gave me enough to say 'if she REALLY wants us, she will pay the extra $$' but not enough to really make WUSTL a serious contender (in my eyes).

PUPPIES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

*ahem*

crombot, did they respond at all to your e-mail? Your offer seems like it's right in line with where it would be if you hadn't sent them anything. This, plus the fact that people who have withdrawn still got offers, makes me think that they haven't changed their offers at all since they originally decided upon them. Maybe a better offer is still to come? I'm hoping to negotiate, so it would be kind of disappointing if your 10K was their post-negotiation offer...

nyyankees

Postby nyyankees » Fri Feb 26, 2010 11:35 am

so now that sibley and crombot both have theirs, am i the only one still without a usb?

also, given everyones huge money at uiuc, i think they are just going to not consider it a peer school

Holly Golightly

Postby Holly Golightly » Fri Feb 26, 2010 11:36 am

nyyankees wrote:so now that sibley and crombot both have theirs, am i the only one still without a usb?

also, given everyones huge money at uiuc, i think they are just going to not consider it a peer school

I don't have mine yet, but I'm overseas and sometimes things take a few years to get here.

nyyankees

Postby nyyankees » Fri Feb 26, 2010 11:38 am

Holly Golightly wrote:
nyyankees wrote:so now that sibley and crombot both have theirs, am i the only one still without a usb?

I don't have mine yet, but I'm overseas and sometimes things take a few years to get here.

youre overseas? ive seen you on here a bunch and had no clue. where?

missvik218

Postby missvik218 » Fri Feb 26, 2010 11:46 am

Neil wrote:
PUPPIES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

*ahem*

:lol:

Holly Golightly

Postby Holly Golightly » Fri Feb 26, 2010 12:04 pm

nyyankees wrote:
Holly Golightly wrote:

youre overseas? ive seen you on here a bunch and had no clue. where?

Living in France for a year. Not a bad place to spend some time before law school. :)

yeast master

Postby yeast master » Fri Feb 26, 2010 12:07 pm

$63k. 172, 3.5x. I'll either pay for T14 or go somewhere else for free. No complaints, though.

It's cool that they take more than numbers into account, but at the same time it sucks that they apparently don't love me. :cry:

crombot

Postby crombot » Fri Feb 26, 2010 12:23 pm

missvik218 wrote:
Neil wrote:
PUPPIES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

*ahem*

Haha, you guys are funny. Looks like we all will be going our separate TLS ways soon though.. :(

And yeah, I'm kinda ruling out any kind of negotiation on my part at this point, considering they already knew my UIUC offer. Really, what are my options? Use the stipend, go and meet the deans face to face, put down a $200 deposit (at which point they will be notified that I have a deposit down at another school) and try to use that as a tool? I don't know if that is a worthwhile exercise.

And after I sent them my letter & copy of the UIUC offer, they sent me an e-mail just saying they'd add it to my file.

chicoalto0649

Postby chicoalto0649 » Fri Feb 26, 2010 1:21 pm

crombot wrote:
missvik218 wrote:
Neil wrote:
PUPPIES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

*ahem*

Haha, you guys are funny. Looks like we all will be going our separate TLS ways soon though.. :(

And yeah, I'm kinda ruling out any kind of negotiation on my part at this point, considering they already knew my UIUC offer. Really, what are my options? Use the stipend, go and meet the deans face to face, put down a $200 deposit (at which point they will be notified that I have a deposit down at another school) and try to use that as a tool? I don't know if that is a worthwhile exercise.

And after I sent them my letter & copy of the UIUC offer, they sent me an e-mail just saying they'd add it to my file.

How far are you from ST. louis? It wouldnt hurt to go visit talk with dean/financial aid, draft a well thought out "why i <3 washu" essay and explain to them if attending WashU was more affordable it would be your number one choice. There was a dude on here yesterday who did that with a different school and it worked.

Trust me living in St. Louis > Champagne, plus you'll love it there when you visit.

Edit: PUPPIES!!

Postby 342848386278 » Fri Feb 26, 2010 1:40 pm

Just got $114k via email ; 168 / 3.85, admitted feb 16th. Not a fan of St. Louis and wasn't really interested in practicing in the south, but this is definitely a nice offer...

jonas586

Postby jonas586 » Fri Feb 26, 2010 1:42 pm

342848386278 wrote:Just got $114k via email ; 168 / 3.85, admitted feb 16th. Not a fan of St. Louis and wasn't really interested in practicing in the south, but this is definitely a nice offer...

Congratulations, three four two eight four eight three eight six two seven eight.

lgreenbe

Postby lgreenbe » Fri Feb 26, 2010 1:44 pm

Just noticed my status updated to 2/23. Had been holding at like 12/16...... WUSTL just likes to play status checker games apparently.....

chicoalto0649

Postby chicoalto0649 » Fri Feb 26, 2010 1:55 pm

342848386278 wrote:Just got $114k via email ; 168 / 3.85, admitted feb 16th. Not a fan of St. Louis and wasn't really interested in practicing in the south, but this is definitely a nice offer...

:?

Rawlsian

Postby Rawlsian » Fri Feb 26, 2010 2:01 pm

chicoalto0649 wrote:

:?

South=Slave states as of 1860.

NancyBotwin

Postby NancyBotwin » Fri Feb 26, 2010 2:03 pm

Just threw in a last minute application. We'll see how this goes!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”