For WUSTL Applicants

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
tomhaverford

Re: For WUSTL Applicants

Postby tomhaverford » Thu Feb 25, 2010 10:35 pm

legalzoom wrote:For those of you disappointed in your award amounts, at least you didnt get a scholarship offer of $2,000/yr. Seriously Wash U, wtf? Granted, my numbers suck but that's almost insulting. Looks I'm off to UIUC in the fall....

Dude I've got you beat. Same LSAT, above 3.0 GPA. 1K a year. I think they wanted to pay for about 2 months of rent for me and then see if I withdraw after that.

Any reason why paying about 13K a year at UIUC is better than paying about 40K a year at Wash U? Other than St. Louis probably being a little more fun than Champaign, I don't see it.

Just to clear it up, I'm not bitter. A little amused and a little curious to see how much I can get Wash U's offer up to.

crombot

Postby crombot » Thu Feb 25, 2010 10:51 pm

nyyankees wrote:quick LSN search says that of non-urms who have less than a 3.5, caleng is the only one who got more than 30k, i guess this is expected of splitters. we should be happy with this

http://washu.lawschoolnumbers.com/appli ... 00&type=jd

+1. For my stats, I can't complain about 30k. 'Tis not enough though! ::sigh::

Off to Illinois I suppose. I don't think I will even use the ASW stipend and risk falling in love with WUSTL.

Also, a small touch of irony: after waiting and waiting for the much-discussed USB arrival, all I got today was an unanticipated USB from UIUC and a shitty offer from WUSTL.

ccs224

Postby ccs224 » Thu Feb 25, 2010 10:54 pm

poprox wrote:
najumobi wrote:
bethechange wrote:Scholar in Law Award = $126,000.00 ($42,000.00/year) ...in utter shock! I am entirely too blessed :)

i am also in shock.....i got a scholar in law award of 117k. this trumps the 46k smu gave me.

Are all generic scholarships that WashU sends out called "Scholar in Law" awards? I'm convinced that the 6k/year on mine was a typo. Does everyone else's scholarship email start out with this paragraph:

"Dear Applicant,

Congratulations! The Scholarship Committee has awarded you a Scholar in Law Award, one of the most prestigious scholarships bestowed by the Washington University School of Law to entering students. It is offered to a select group whose academic achievements indicate that they will be outstanding law students and lawyers
."
?

No, I think you're the only one who got that email.

blueberrymuffin

Postby blueberrymuffin » Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:05 pm

DOOM wrote:
nyyankees wrote:
caleng wrote:
goodolgil wrote:Maybe they're GPA-conscious. Have any splitters been thrown money yet?

It's also kind of strange that some are getting 40k a year and some are getting 39k.

Splitter 170/3.2 (engineer), straight out of undergrad, $37k a year

Wash U just seriously turned my cycle upside down, I had already gotten pretty excited about going to GW with nearly the same amount of money.

169/3.2 and i got 9k/year. Seems like an enormous difference to me, no?

169/3.5 (engineer) w/ 7k a year. that $37k/yr is amazing, and making me very upset at the moment.

I have very similar stats to Caleng, engineering and graduate degree and was offered 13k/yr.

missvik218

Postby missvik218 » Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:08 pm

crombot wrote:
nyyankees wrote:quick LSN search says that of non-urms who have less than a 3.5, caleng is the only one who got more than 30k, i guess this is expected of splitters. we should be happy with this

Off to Illinois I suppose. I don't think I will even use the ASW stipend and risk falling in love with WUSTL.

Also, a small touch of irony: after waiting and waiting for the much-discussed USB arrival, all I got today was an unanticipated USB from UIUC and a shitty offer from WUSTL.

Puppies!!!!! :mrgreen: Feeling EXACTLY the same way. I wonder if I can use my $200 stipend to pay for my plane ticket I already bought without actually having to travel to ASD!?

Diskette15

Postby Diskette15 » Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:12 pm

169/3.6ish and I got 54k (18k/year)! And yes, I got an email very similar to the one posted above.

najumobi

Postby najumobi » Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:14 pm

tomhaverford wrote:
legalzoom wrote:For those of you disappointed in your award amounts, at least you didnt get a scholarship offer of $2,000/yr. Seriously Wash U, wtf? Granted, my numbers suck but that's almost insulting. Looks I'm off to UIUC in the fall....

Dude I've got you beat. Same LSAT, above 3.0 GPA. 1K a year. I think they wanted to pay for about 2 months of rent for me and then see if I withdraw after that.

Any reason why paying about 13K a year at UIUC is better than paying about 40K a year at Wash U? Other than St. Louis probably being a little more fun than Champaign, I don't see it.

Just to clear it up, I'm not bitter. A little amused and a little curious to see how much I can get Wash U's offer up to.
yeah i don't think wustl would be worth the extra money in your case.

blueberrymuffin

Postby blueberrymuffin » Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:14 pm

missvik218 wrote:
crombot wrote:

Puppies!!!!! :mrgreen: Feeling EXACTLY the same way. I wonder if I can use my $200 stipend to pay for my plane ticket I already bought without actually having to travel to ASD!?

Where are you finding this information about $200 reimbursement for the ASW? I just looked on their site re the weekend and searched through my E-mails and couldn't find anything mentioning it...

chicoalto0649

Postby chicoalto0649 » Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:20 pm

Seems like it was a big money day for some. Congrats to everybody!

NOW GET TO MY APPLICATION! NO REASON TO BE TAKING THIS LONG!

missvik218

Postby missvik218 » Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:22 pm

blueberrymuffin wrote:Where are you finding this information about $200 reimbursement for the ASW? I just looked on their site re the weekend and searched through my E-mails and couldn't find anything mentioning it...

I don't think everyone was awarded the travel stipend.

chicoalto0649

Postby chicoalto0649 » Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:24 pm

missvik218 wrote:
blueberrymuffin wrote:Where are you finding this information about $200 reimbursement for the ASW? I just looked on their site re the weekend and searched through my E-mails and couldn't find anything mentioning it...

I'd still ask. WUSTL can def afford to fork over a couple hundred bucks to woo some prospective students

blueberrymuffin

Postby blueberrymuffin » Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:25 pm

chicoalto0649 wrote:
missvik218 wrote:

I'd still ask. WUSTL can def afford to fork over a couple hundred bucks to woo some prospective students

Got it (um, as in understood, still need to get the $$)- thanks for the info.

CyLaw

Postby CyLaw » Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:39 pm

Offered 30k today. Withdrawn.

LS18

Postby LS18 » Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:42 pm

Congrats on all the scholarships!

So I have a 3.58/173; I applied in early December; I would really consider WUSTL w/scholarship. Stuck at 2/3 complete. Any advice on this situation?

chicoalto0649

Postby chicoalto0649 » Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:46 pm

LS18 wrote:Congrats on all the scholarships!

So I have a 3.58/173; I applied in early December; I would really consider WUSTL w/scholarship. Stuck at 2/3 complete. Any advice on this situation?

I think a lot of people that are "stuck" at various dates are going to hear their fates quite soon as those who are unimpressed with their scholly package withdraw. I just would not bank on much money at this point.*

*Complete conjecture.

najumobi

Postby najumobi » Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:53 pm

chicoalto0649 wrote:

I think a lot of people that are "stuck" at various dates are going to hear their fates quite soon as those who are unimpressed with their scholly package withdraw. I just would not bank on much money at this point.*

*Complete conjecture.
do you think it's late in the game to be offered big money after this initial round or offers?

chicoalto0649

Postby chicoalto0649 » Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:56 pm

najumobi wrote:
chicoalto0649 wrote:

*Complete conjecture.
do you think it's late in the game to be offered big money after this initial round or offers?

Def call and ask. Or someone else on here would be better equipped to field that question. I just want to get admitted.

ec2xs

Postby ec2xs » Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:58 pm

I'm another 10k-er. Considering my stats (sub 3.4 gpa), I expected around as much, if not less. It may not be enough to sway be, but I'm nonetheless grateful and satisfied.

If they could match the 20k from Illinois...we'd be talking.

Mickey Quicknumbers

Postby Mickey Quicknumbers » Fri Feb 26, 2010 12:31 am

81,000. Stats in my profile

jman77

Postby jman77 » Fri Feb 26, 2010 12:59 am

Congrats!
I wonder how they determine their scholarships - they seem all over the place. I think that my scholarship fit my stats, but I did have a LOR from their old dean... and then some kids out of college with work experience got little schollies while people with the same stats and same degree but still in college got big ones...
And I don't think most of it is an URM thing, though it might account for a couple thousand of any of the big-earners' awards.
Maybe demonstrated interest?....[/quote]
----

I wonder if this is evidence that they do prefer a younger student body. At 23, their average age is the youngest, by far, of any of the schools I applied to.[/quote]
----
A little selective with the stats. I've seen two people with 10+ years WE receive six figure schollies.[/quote]
----
I would be one of those...

ec2xs

Postby ec2xs » Fri Feb 26, 2010 1:03 am

It's funny....we moan about how schools don't really consider the kind of person we are in the application process and we gripe about how it's all a numbers game, but many people on this board seem to take umbrage when scholarships are divided on more subjective fronts. (This isn't a response to you, jman, just a general observation.)

Although WUSTL drew a fairly firm admittance line with a 167 LSAT, it seems like they have really taken other factors into account while divvying up scholarships. I think it's pretty rad.

jman77

Postby jman77 » Fri Feb 26, 2010 1:07 am

ec2xs wrote:It's funny....we moan about how schools don't really consider the kind of person we are in the application process and we gripe about how it's all a numbers game, but many people on this board seem to take umbrage when scholarships are divided on more subjective fronts. (This isn't a response to you, jman, just a general observation.)

Although WUSTL drew a fairly firm admittance line with a 167 LSAT, it seems like they have really taken other factors into account while divvying up scholarships. I think it's pretty rad.

---
No worries... I have no concrete idea how the scholarship decisions were made across the board, but I'd have to think mine was influenced a lot by my academic records and WE/other softs. It certainly wasn't my LSAT score.

chicoalto0649

Postby chicoalto0649 » Fri Feb 26, 2010 1:09 am

jman77 wrote:
ec2xs wrote:It's funny....we moan about how schools don't really consider the kind of person we are in the application process and we gripe about how it's all a numbers game, but many people on this board seem to take umbrage when scholarships are divided on more subjective fronts. (This isn't a response to you, jman, just a general observation.)

---
No worries... I have no concrete idea how the scholarship decisions were made across the board, but I'd have to think mine was influenced a lot by my academic records and WE/other softs. It certainly wasn't my LSAT score.

How on god's green earth did you get rejected from Washington and Lee??? :shock:

jman77

Postby jman77 » Fri Feb 26, 2010 1:13 am

chicoalto0649 wrote:
jman77 wrote:

---

How on god's green earth did you get rejected from Washington and Lee??? :shock:

LOL...you tell me :) I haven't the foggiest idea. I refused to believe I was getting a rejection letter even though my fellow 2/19'ers all got dings... but sure enough, I get home last Monday night and get the small envelope from W&L. Apparently, they considered "subjective factors such as leadership, work experience and commitment to service" aside from the objective factors. That left me scratching my head as well, as I had a full page addendum of leadership positions in college and business school as well as in a non-profit organization, and had a 2-page resume. But then who can really know how these decisions are made?

lawduder

Postby lawduder » Fri Feb 26, 2010 1:40 am

I ended up with 20k/year with 167/3.5x. I'm actually surprised I got such a generous offer seeing as my softs are pretty much non-existent and I don't have any work experience. Maybe my PS was half way decent?

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”