For WUSTL Applicants

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
crombot

Re: For WUSTL Applicants

Postby crombot » Thu Feb 25, 2010 9:15 pm

10k/ yr. Uhhh any pro-WUSTL arguments that make that worth taking over 90k at UIUC? Because I'm not seeing it, as much as i'd love to convince myself that it is worth the extra 60k.

jman77

Postby jman77 » Thu Feb 25, 2010 9:18 pm

Anyone know where I can find a breakdown of the annual tuition and fees estimates for WUSTL? Can't seem to find it on the website. Thanks.

jman77

Postby jman77 » Thu Feb 25, 2010 9:19 pm

jman77 wrote:Anyone know where I can find a breakdown of the annual tuition and fees estimates for WUSTL? Can't seem to find it on the website. Thanks.

NVM. Just saw it on the FAQ's.

JayTal

Postby JayTal » Thu Feb 25, 2010 9:21 pm

20k a year here. Pretty excited, but I don't think it's enough to draw me from BU!

luckyjd

Postby luckyjd » Thu Feb 25, 2010 9:23 pm

crombot wrote:10k/ yr. Uhhh any pro-WUSTL arguments that make that worth taking over 90k at UIUC? Because I'm not seeing it, as much as i'd love to convince myself that it is worth the extra 60k.

I feel ya on the skimpy scholly at wustl (mine's even worse). Nope, none at all. Go with the uiuc :)

bethechange

Postby bethechange » Thu Feb 25, 2010 9:29 pm

Scholar in Law Award = $126,000.00 ($42,000.00/year) ...in utter shock! I am entirely too blessed :)

sibley

Postby sibley » Thu Feb 25, 2010 9:30 pm

bethechange wrote:Scholar in Law Award = $126,000.00 ($42,000.00/year) ...in utter shock! I am entirely too blessed :)

You're about the only person who seems to actually appreciate their scholarship =)

Chromakey

Postby Chromakey » Thu Feb 25, 2010 9:32 pm

Huh...just got a 12k/year offer (171/3.4, out of UG for 6 years). Definitely would have taken WUSTL out of the running, if I hadn't already decided to ED elsewhere. Kinda weird they sent me the offer considering I withdrew over three weeks ago :?

najumobi

Postby najumobi » Thu Feb 25, 2010 9:33 pm

bethechange wrote:Scholar in Law Award = $126,000.00 ($42,000.00/year) ...in utter shock! I am entirely too blessed :)

i am also in shock.....i got a scholar in law award of 117k. this trumps the 46k smu gave me.

Sauer Grapes

Postby Sauer Grapes » Thu Feb 25, 2010 9:34 pm

Last edited by Sauer Grapes on Sun Aug 22, 2010 11:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sauer Grapes

Postby Sauer Grapes » Thu Feb 25, 2010 9:36 pm

Last edited by Sauer Grapes on Sun Aug 22, 2010 11:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sibley

Postby sibley » Thu Feb 25, 2010 9:36 pm

najumobi wrote:

i am also in shock.....i got a scholar in law award of 117k. this trumps the 46k smu gave me.

Congrats!
I wonder how they determine their scholarships - they seem all over the place. I think that my scholarship fit my stats, but I did have a LOR from their old dean... and then some kids out of college with work experience got little schollies while people with the same stats and same degree but still in college got big ones...

And I don't think most of it is an URM thing, though it might account for a couple thousand of any of the big-earners' awards.

Maybe demonstrated interest?....

Chromakey

Postby Chromakey » Thu Feb 25, 2010 9:43 pm

sibley wrote:
najumobi wrote:

Congrats!
I wonder how they determine their scholarships - they seem all over the place. I think that my scholarship fit my stats, but I did have a LOR from their old dean... and then some kids out of college with work experience got little schollies while people with the same stats and same degree but still in college got big ones...
And I don't think most of it is an URM thing, though it might account for a couple thousand of any of the big-earners' awards.

I wonder if this is evidence that they do prefer a younger student body. At 23, their average age is the youngest, by far, of any of the schools I applied to.

autao

Postby autao » Thu Feb 25, 2010 9:53 pm

Glad I am visiting tomorrow. 114k so excited to be blessed with this opportunity. 168 3.94 for anyone who cares.

badwithpseudonyms

Postby badwithpseudonyms » Thu Feb 25, 2010 9:56 pm

Chromakey wrote:
sibley wrote:
najumobi wrote:

Congrats!

I wonder if this is evidence that they do prefer a younger student body. At 23, their average age is the youngest, by far, of any of the schools I applied to.

A little selective with the stats. I've seen two people with 10+ years WE receive six figure schollies.

sibley

Postby sibley » Thu Feb 25, 2010 9:57 pm

badwithpseudonyms wrote:
Chromakey wrote:
sibley wrote:
najumobi wrote:i am also in shock.....i got a scholar in law award of 117k. this trumps the 46k smu gave me.

Congrats!

A little selective with the stats. I've seen two people with 10+ years WE receive six figure schollies.

The two I've seen who didn't had 6 or less...

badwithpseudonyms

Postby badwithpseudonyms » Thu Feb 25, 2010 10:00 pm

sibley wrote:
badwithpseudonyms wrote:
Chromakey wrote:I wonder if this is evidence that they do prefer a younger student body. At 23, their average age is the youngest, by far, of any of the schools I applied to.

The two I've seen who didn't had 6 or less...

Touche, salesman. :wink:

nyyankees

Postby nyyankees » Thu Feb 25, 2010 10:04 pm

quick LSN search says that of non-urms who have less than a 3.5, caleng is the only one who got more than 30k, i guess this is expected of splitters. we should be happy with this

http://washu.lawschoolnumbers.com/appli ... 00&type=jd

najumobi

Postby najumobi » Thu Feb 25, 2010 10:08 pm

Chromakey wrote:
sibley wrote:
najumobi wrote:

Congrats!

yeah i think 23 is the youngest median age a law school class could be (northwestern the oldest at 25?). i'll be 25 by the fall, and a little older than most students will be, but i just graduated last summer so i'll be similar to typical 23 year olds in that i'm not much removed from UG.

poprox

Postby poprox » Thu Feb 25, 2010 10:09 pm

najumobi wrote:

Are all generic scholarships that WashU sends out called "Scholar in Law" awards? I'm convinced that the 6k/year on mine was a typo. Does everyone else's scholarship email start out with this paragraph:

"Dear Applicant,

Congratulations! The Scholarship Committee has awarded you a Scholar in Law Award, one of the most prestigious scholarships bestowed by the Washington University School of Law to entering students. It is offered to a select group whose academic achievements indicate that they will be outstanding law students and lawyers
."
?

sibley

Postby sibley » Thu Feb 25, 2010 10:10 pm

poprox wrote:
najumobi wrote:

Are all generic scholarships that WashU sends out called "Scholar in Law" awards? I'm convinced that the 6k/year on mine was a typo. Does everyone else's scholarship email start out with this paragraph:

"Dear Applicant,

Congratulations! The Scholarship Committee has awarded you a Scholar in Law Award, one of the most prestigious scholarships bestowed by the Washington University School of Law to entering students. It is offered to a select group whose academic achievements indicate that they will be outstanding law students and lawyers
."
?

Mine did say my name.

najumobi

Postby najumobi » Thu Feb 25, 2010 10:11 pm

sibley wrote:
poprox wrote:
najumobi wrote:

"Dear Applicant,

."
?

Mine did say my name.
i believe scholar in law awards can be as small as 12k and as large as 125k. to answer your question, we got the same award type but different size package size.
Last edited by najumobi on Thu Feb 25, 2010 10:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Helmholtz

Postby Helmholtz » Thu Feb 25, 2010 10:12 pm

poprox wrote:
najumobi wrote:

"Dear Applicant,

."
?

I wonder what their not-so-prestigious scholarships look like....

Rawlsian

Postby Rawlsian » Thu Feb 25, 2010 10:16 pm

Scholar in Law Award $105,000! I agree with bethechange: entirely too blessed. I'm going to have to schedule a visit.

About the discussion on age above, I'll be 27 with 4 years WE when I start.

sibley

Postby sibley » Thu Feb 25, 2010 10:18 pm

Rawlsian wrote:Scholar in Law Award $105,000! I agree with bethechange: entirely too blessed. I'm going to have to schedule a visit.

About the discussion on age above, I'll be 27 with 4 years WE when I start.

congrats =)

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”