For WUSTL Applicants

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
jman77
Posts: 510
Joined: Tue Feb 16, 2010 3:33 pm

Re: For WUSTL Applicants

Postby jman77 » Wed Feb 17, 2010 1:13 am

stratocophic wrote:
Nightrunner wrote:My email says anytime between now and April 1st.


That's correct.
fl0w wrote:
jman77 wrote:
167, 3.9, NT (10 years WE). More info on my profile. Anyone know if the $200 stipend only applies to Admits Day or if it applies to all travel to WUSTL?


seems odd that they'd give someone with 10 years work experience a stipend. but that's just my opinion.


It's a merit-based stipend

----
That appears to be the case. The e-mail said based on my academic credentials they were making the stipend available.

User avatar
fl0w
Posts: 1404
Joined: Fri Jul 10, 2009 9:46 am

Re: For WUSTL Applicants

Postby fl0w » Wed Feb 17, 2010 1:25 am

stratocophic wrote:
Nightrunner wrote:My email says anytime between now and April 1st.


That's correct.
fl0w wrote:
jman77 wrote:
167, 3.9, NT (10 years WE). More info on my profile. Anyone know if the $200 stipend only applies to Admits Day or if it applies to all travel to WUSTL?


seems odd that they'd give someone with 10 years work experience a stipend. but that's just my opinion.


It's a merit-based stipend


they can base it however they like. i'm just saying it's funny that they give a $200 stipend to someone who has been working for 10 years and can likely afford it. Not assuming that you can, everyone has their own situation.

Like for me, w/ 5yrs exp., i'd rather they give it to someone based on need. but then hey, how do you really know if someone "needs" it. no system is perfect right?

User avatar
stratocophic
Posts: 2207
Joined: Tue Dec 22, 2009 6:24 pm

Re: For WUSTL Applicants

Postby stratocophic » Wed Feb 17, 2010 1:35 am

fl0w wrote:
stratocophic wrote:
Nightrunner wrote:My email says anytime between now and April 1st.


That's correct.
fl0w wrote:
jman77 wrote:
167, 3.9, NT (10 years WE). More info on my profile. Anyone know if the $200 stipend only applies to Admits Day or if it applies to all travel to WUSTL?


seems odd that they'd give someone with 10 years work experience a stipend. but that's just my opinion.


It's a merit-based stipend


they can base it however they like. i'm just saying it's funny that they give a $200 stipend to someone who has been working for 10 years and can likely afford it. Not assuming that you can, everyone has their own situation.

Like for me, w/ 5yrs exp., i'd rather they give it to someone based on need. but then hey, how do you really know if someone "needs" it. no system is perfect right?

Truth. I've certainly got nothing against need-based systems. I wouldn't have applied to all of the schools I did if the admissions process didn't consider need. I can't begrudge schools putting their own interests first in some cases though, especially given the fluid and competitive nature of the 18-30 spots in the rankings.

User avatar
DoctorNick189
Posts: 189
Joined: Wed Sep 16, 2009 7:21 pm

Re: For WUSTL Applicants

Postby DoctorNick189 » Wed Feb 17, 2010 1:49 am

I was accepted a million years ago -- where's my USB key?

jman77
Posts: 510
Joined: Tue Feb 16, 2010 3:33 pm

Re: For WUSTL Applicants

Postby jman77 » Wed Feb 17, 2010 2:23 am

fl0w wrote:
stratocophic wrote:
Nightrunner wrote:My email says anytime between now and April 1st.


That's correct.
fl0w wrote:
jman77 wrote:
167, 3.9, NT (10 years WE). More info on my profile. Anyone know if the $200 stipend only applies to Admits Day or if it applies to all travel to WUSTL?


seems odd that they'd give someone with 10 years work experience a stipend. but that's just my opinion.


It's a merit-based stipend


they can base it however they like. i'm just saying it's funny that they give a $200 stipend to someone who has been working for 10 years and can likely afford it. Not assuming that you can, everyone has their own situation.

Like for me, w/ 5yrs exp., i'd rather they give it to someone based on need. but then hey, how do you really know if someone "needs" it. no system is perfect right?


---
I see your point. However, I can also understand how they would want to entice someone they are assuming would probably get some pretty good offers from other good schools to come visit their campus and meet with their folks to enhance the prospect of that candidate choosing their school over the others. It's like when you're a medical device manufacturer who's trying to get a hospital to purchase equipment from you. You invite them to send their purchasing reps to your site and pay for their travel expenses so they can evaluate your product firsthand and hopefully give your company the competitive edge over the other suppliers... of course, the other suppliers will also extend the same offer to said hospital. In this case, it really isn't relevant whether the hospital itself can pay for the travel expenses.

And for what it's worth, only 3 of my 10 years WE have been in the US...the remainder have been in a developing country... although I definitely can afford to pay for the trip myself.
Last edited by jman77 on Wed Feb 17, 2010 2:51 am, edited 2 times in total.

ENGINEERD
Posts: 241
Joined: Wed Jan 06, 2010 4:15 pm

Re: For WUSTL Applicants

Postby ENGINEERD » Wed Feb 17, 2010 2:25 am

In today 167/3.2 congrats to everyone one else!

User avatar
missvik218
Posts: 1103
Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2009 11:45 am

Re: For WUSTL Applicants

Postby missvik218 » Wed Feb 17, 2010 10:44 am

Alrighty officially going to ASD! I booked my ticket, anyone else?! Now all I need to figure out is where to stay ... I'm only going to be in town for the ASD; getting in at like 10 on Thurs and flying out at 6:30 on Fri. I'm thinking the Knight Center on campus to avoid any extra hassle and cost of transportation, anyone in STL or around there have better suggestions?

jackiemanuel
Posts: 22
Joined: Tue Nov 10, 2009 5:44 pm

Re: For WUSTL Applicants

Postby jackiemanuel » Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:31 am

2/3er. Three updates. No e-mail.

mrm2083
Posts: 238
Joined: Fri Jul 24, 2009 9:16 pm

Re: For WUSTL Applicants

Postby mrm2083 » Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:50 am

Has anyone tried calling to see if they just didn't get an email because of the problems they are supposedly having?

sibley
Posts: 2983
Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:38 pm

Re: For WUSTL Applicants

Postby sibley » Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:51 am

mrm2083 wrote:Has anyone tried calling to see if they just didn't get an email because of the problems they are supposedly having?


When you do call, ask for an update on SIL. And find out where the heck my flash drive is.

User avatar
hiromoto45
Posts: 881
Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2009 2:05 pm

Re: For WUSTL Applicants

Postby hiromoto45 » Wed Feb 17, 2010 12:56 pm

mrm2083 wrote:Has anyone tried calling to see if they just didn't get an email because of the problems they are supposedly having?


Are you sure they are having problems?

Pearalegal
Posts: 1433
Joined: Fri Jan 30, 2009 10:50 am

Re: For WUSTL Applicants

Postby Pearalegal » Wed Feb 17, 2010 1:03 pm

Money, WashU. We need to talk money.

turkishangora
Posts: 213
Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 12:18 am

Re: For WUSTL Applicants

Postby turkishangora » Wed Feb 17, 2010 1:12 pm

how many emails are you supposed to get if admitted? (not counting the initial one). I haven't heard from them at all, and definitely no USB. I thought they'd at least let ppl know about ASD, etc.

lawduder
Posts: 483
Joined: Sun Jun 28, 2009 10:56 am

Re: For WUSTL Applicants

Postby lawduder » Wed Feb 17, 2010 1:19 pm

turkishangora wrote:how many emails are you supposed to get if admitted? (not counting the initial one). I haven't heard from them at all, and definitely no USB. I thought they'd at least let ppl know about ASD, etc.

I got the ASD email and the bullet board email within 30mins of my acceptance email.

User avatar
stratocophic
Posts: 2207
Joined: Tue Dec 22, 2009 6:24 pm

Re: For WUSTL Applicants

Postby stratocophic » Wed Feb 17, 2010 1:22 pm

hiromoto45 wrote:
mrm2083 wrote:Has anyone tried calling to see if they just didn't get an email because of the problems they are supposedly having?


Are you sure they are having problems?

Positive. I called after getting the physical packet and no emails.
turkishangora wrote:how many emails are you supposed to get if admitted? (not counting the initial one). I haven't heard from them at all, and definitely no USB. I thought they'd at least let ppl know about ASD, etc.

You get 3 emails: one tells you you're admitted, one has admitted students site, and one has ASW info. I actually got all three again yesterday after getting them on Monday, for some reason.

User avatar
hiromoto45
Posts: 881
Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2009 2:05 pm

Re: For WUSTL Applicants

Postby hiromoto45 » Wed Feb 17, 2010 1:34 pm

So will they tell you over the phone if you are admitted?

finalaspects
Posts: 1866
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2008 12:21 am

Re: For WUSTL Applicants

Postby finalaspects » Wed Feb 17, 2010 1:39 pm

stratocophic wrote:Positive. I called after getting the physical packet and no emails.


what do these problems entail? email systems?

User avatar
pleasetryagain
Posts: 762
Joined: Sat Sep 06, 2008 1:04 am

Re: For WUSTL Applicants

Postby pleasetryagain » Wed Feb 17, 2010 1:44 pm

stratocophic wrote:You get 3 emails: one tells you you're admitted, one has admitted students site, and one has ASW info. I actually got all three again yesterday after getting them on Monday, for some reason.



Because they <3 you so much.

Whitters
Posts: 125
Joined: Mon Dec 07, 2009 12:02 pm

Re: For WUSTL Applicants

Postby Whitters » Wed Feb 17, 2010 1:44 pm

WUSTL is a reach for me. I have been complete since 1/11/09, but no other updates. Not looking good...

User avatar
stratocophic
Posts: 2207
Joined: Tue Dec 22, 2009 6:24 pm

Re: For WUSTL Applicants

Postby stratocophic » Wed Feb 17, 2010 1:45 pm

hiromoto45 wrote:So will they tell you over the phone if you are admitted?


Not sure about that, I had the packet in hand when I called and just requested the emails. They're very nice though, so if you updated 3 times with the third being 2/3, it may be worth a call if you're too excited to wait for the packet. I don't know for sure what other update patterns have gotten in after 2/3, though.

sibley
Posts: 2983
Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:38 pm

Re: For WUSTL Applicants

Postby sibley » Wed Feb 17, 2010 1:46 pm

Pearalegal wrote:Money, WashU. We need to talk money.


You and I are on the same page today, my fruity adjournment-scheduling friend.

finalaspects
Posts: 1866
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2008 12:21 am

Re: For WUSTL Applicants

Postby finalaspects » Wed Feb 17, 2010 1:50 pm

stratocophic wrote:
hiromoto45 wrote:So will they tell you over the phone if you are admitted?


Not sure about that, I had the packet in hand when I called and just requested the emails. They're very nice though, so if you updated 3 times with the third being 2/3, it may be worth a call if you're too excited to wait for the packet. I don't know for sure what other update patterns have gotten in after 2/3, though.



the problems... what were they related to? their email systems?

HBK
Posts: 493
Joined: Mon Apr 13, 2009 12:29 pm

Re: For WUSTL Applicants

Postby HBK » Wed Feb 17, 2010 1:52 pm

For 2/26 ASW, I called the Knight center and they're sold out. They recommended the Sheraton in Clayton. There are a bunch of hotels in the area and from the calls I made they all seem to offer Wash U discounts, just make sure you ask.

User avatar
Encyclopedia Brown
Posts: 595
Joined: Fri Oct 16, 2009 7:25 am

Re: For WUSTL Applicants

Postby Encyclopedia Brown » Wed Feb 17, 2010 1:58 pm

Just to be clear, when we say three complete updates, does that include the original complete date? (3 TOTAL completes or 4?)

turkishangora
Posts: 213
Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 12:18 am

Re: For WUSTL Applicants

Postby turkishangora » Wed Feb 17, 2010 2:04 pm

lawduder wrote:
turkishangora wrote:how many emails are you supposed to get if admitted? (not counting the initial one). I haven't heard from them at all, and definitely no USB. I thought they'd at least let ppl know about ASD, etc.

I got the ASD email and the bullet board email within 30mins of my acceptance email.


I never got any bullet board email...guess I need to call.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Automotomayor, BobBoblaw, Google [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot], Houzy, lawlaura3494, liuwenyu, Long shot hero, MSNbot Media, proteinshake, ReadyToStart, sonyco, SweetTort and 21 guests