For WUSTL Applicants Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
JCougar

Gold

Re: For WUSTL Applicants

Post by JCougar » Wed Jun 02, 2010 1:35 pm

blurbz wrote:
JCougar wrote:
That's a huge scholarship at Illinois for your numbers. Do you have awesome WE or a graduate degree? Amazing softs?

Congrats.

I know it--and I'm incredibly grateful for it. I like to think it was a combination of factors (interesting but not extraordinary softs, a well-written PS, and a good discussion with Dean Pless). To answer your specific questions: No, I don't have any work experience or a graduate degree.

Thank you. I really do hope you get off of a waitlist you're excited about.
I hope to get off of either Illinois or Wash U. Preferably Wash U., but either school would be fine for me. So no matter where you go, you'll open up a seat for me! :)

najumobi

Silver

Post by najumobi » Wed Jun 02, 2010 2:11 pm

JCougar wrote:
blurbz wrote:
JCougar wrote:
That's a huge scholarship at Illinois for your numbers. Do you have awesome WE or a graduate degree? Amazing softs?

Congrats.

I know it--and I'm incredibly grateful for it. I like to think it was a combination of factors (interesting but not extraordinary softs, a well-written PS, and a good discussion with Dean Pless). To answer your specific questions: No, I don't have any work experience or a graduate degree.

I hope to get off of either Illinois or Wash U. Preferably Wash U., but either school would be fine for me. So no matter where you go, you'll open up a seat for me! :)
where are you slated to go as of now? indiana?

JCougar

Gold

Post by JCougar » Wed Jun 02, 2010 2:39 pm

najumobi wrote:
JCougar wrote:
blurbz wrote:
JCougar wrote:

Congrats.

I'm in at Wisconsin with in-state tuition (17K/year). I guess it's not a horrible place to be, but Wisconsin's Chicago prospects have been slaughtered ITE. I really want to move back to Chicago and practice there. I'm open to other areas, but that's my plan for now at least.

Also, Chicago-Kent keeps giving me more money. I currently have $33K there for my first year, and $30K for my second and third years, plus the opportunity for additional labor law scholarships in my second two years. I'm still probably going to choose Wisconsin over that, but $7K tuition for my first year is tempting, especially being in the city I want to work.
Last edited by JCougar on Wed Jun 02, 2010 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Regionality

Silver

Post by Regionality » Wed Jun 02, 2010 2:42 pm

JCougar wrote:
najumobi wrote:
JCougar wrote:
blurbz wrote:

I'm in at Wisconsin with in-state tuition (17K/year). I guess it's not a horrible place to be, but Wisconsin's Chicago prospects have been slaughtered ITE. I really want to move back to Chicago and practice there. I'm open to other areas, but that's my plan for now at least.
Do you think its fair to qualify Wisconsin's Chicago OCI prospects have been slaughtered ITE? If Chicago but not big law is a goal, do you think it's still a reasonable expectation?

JCougar

Gold

Post by JCougar » Wed Jun 02, 2010 3:01 pm

Regionality wrote:
JCougar wrote:
najumobi wrote:
JCougar wrote: I hope to get off of either Illinois or Wash U. Preferably Wash U., but either school would be fine for me. So no matter where you go, you'll open up a seat for me! :)
Do you think its fair to qualify Wisconsin's Chicago OCI prospects have been slaughtered ITE? If Chicago but not big law is a goal, do you think it's still a reasonable expectation?
Biglaw is my goal, for sure.

I haven't ruled out other things, though. I guess I just have to wait and see what really interests me once I start getting in to school. If I went to Wisconsin, I'd still have a good shot at Foley & Lardner and Quarles & Brady. They pretty much dump their grads into those Milwaukee offices.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

JOThompson

Silver

Post by JOThompson » Wed Jun 02, 2010 3:03 pm

I'll be withdrawing from the waitlist. I can't justify paying sticker at WUSTL, much as I like the school.

HBK

Bronze

Post by HBK » Wed Jun 02, 2010 3:06 pm

I just withdrew with money. Hope it goes to one of you on the waitlist!

Regionality

Silver

Post by Regionality » Wed Jun 02, 2010 3:06 pm

JCougar wrote:
Regionality wrote:
JCougar wrote:
najumobi wrote:where are you slated to go as of now? indiana?
Biglaw is my goal, for sure.

I haven't ruled out other things, though. I guess I just have to wait and see what really interests me once I start getting in to school. If I went to Wisconsin, I'd still have a good shot at Foley & Lardner and Quarles & Brady. They pretty much dump their grads into those Milwaukee offices.
Gotcha-- but what I'm asking is, based on your knowledge of Wisconsin's evolving relationship with Chicago employers, do you think their job placement in Chicago is mostly being affected by BigLaw prospects? I'm in a very similar position as you-- in at Wisconsin and waitlisted at Illinois and WUSTL, but biglaw is NOT a goal of mine...when gathering your info about Wisco's current placement status (however you did this) do you think that they still place well into Chicago for non-biglaw jobs?

Let me ask it this way: If I want to be in Chicago and get a good job but not biglaw, do you think it was a mistake to turn down a 20k/yr scholly at Loyola?

(ps. sorry this is on WUSTL thread)

Regionality

Silver

Post by Regionality » Wed Jun 02, 2010 3:07 pm

HBK wrote:I just withdrew with money. Hope it goes to one of you on the waitlist!
Congrats on making a decision! Where you headed?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Regionality

Silver

Post by Regionality » Wed Jun 02, 2010 3:09 pm

JOThompson wrote:I'll be withdrawing from the waitlist. I can't justify paying sticker at WUSTL, much as I like the school.

Where you headed? PS. Didn't you need to make this decision yesterday?

JCougar

Gold

Post by JCougar » Wed Jun 02, 2010 3:13 pm

Regionality wrote:
Let me ask it this way: If I want to be in Chicago and get a good job but not biglaw, do you think it was a mistake to turn down a 20k/yr scholly at Loyola?

(ps. sorry this is on WUSTL thread)
I don't know enough about non-biglaw hiring to really comment. Madison's only two hours from Chicago. My guess is that networking is much more important for the jobs you are talking about. Going to school in the city would be a big help, but it's not like Madison's all that far.

JOThompson

Silver

Post by JOThompson » Wed Jun 02, 2010 3:16 pm

Regionality wrote:
JOThompson wrote:I'll be withdrawing from the waitlist. I can't justify paying sticker at WUSTL, much as I like the school.

I submitted my second deposit to Iowa a couple weeks back. After a lot of thought, I concluded today that I wouldn't be willing to pay sticker at the schools I'm waitlisted at. Vandy is the only exception now and it's such a long shot that I'm completely expecting to be in Iowa City for the fall.

JCougar

Gold

Post by JCougar » Wed Jun 02, 2010 3:16 pm

HBK wrote:I just withdrew with money. Hope it goes to one of you on the waitlist!
LSAT above median?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

HBK

Bronze

Post by HBK » Wed Jun 02, 2010 3:17 pm

JCougar wrote:
LSAT above median?
Yes.

Regionality

Silver

Post by Regionality » Wed Jun 02, 2010 3:18 pm

JOThompson wrote:
Regionality wrote:

I submitted my second deposit to Iowa a couple weeks back. After a lot of thought, I concluded today that I wouldn't be willing to pay sticker at the schools I'm waitlisted at. Vandy is the only exception now and it's such a long shot that I'm completely expecting to be in Iowa City for the fall.
Total RC fail on my part, I thought you withdrew from the class, not the WL. Best of luck in IC, I loved Iowa!

JCougar

Gold

Post by JCougar » Wed Jun 02, 2010 3:18 pm

HBK wrote:
JCougar wrote:
LSAT above median?
Yes.
Awesome. Have fun in at the T14 (I assume).

Edit...looks like I've assumed wrongly.
Last edited by JCougar on Wed Jun 02, 2010 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Island Girl

Bronze

Post by Island Girl » Wed Jun 02, 2010 3:20 pm

finalaspects wrote:
Island Girl wrote:I'm in!!! Yesterday=one of the best days of my life. So happy.
can you tell us your stats? and if you were on the wait list or the hold list?
waitingfor1L wrote:Congrats! What did you do, LOCIs etc?
romothesavior wrote:Congrats Island Girl!
Thank you for the good wishes everyone! This was totally unexpected. I got off the waitlist. There was an additional recommendation from my boss. Barring an acceptance from Berkeley (I'm on the waitlist), I might just end up at Wash U. I had given up all hope of getting off the waitlist, hence my disappearance from this thread. But I'm super ecstatic to have this wonderful option now. =)

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Island Girl

Bronze

Post by Island Girl » Wed Jun 02, 2010 3:24 pm

JCougar wrote:Also, Island Girl, are you from California?

They seem to be going hard after people from California. A couple people in the Choosing a Law School forum got scholly increases that were from Cali. Seems like they want to fight that "weak on the West Coast" reputation, and the best way to do that is to just get people from Cali to come out for school and then return.
I am from California. I'm a minority by the way but definitely not a URM. My stats are 157, 3.7. Who knew softs could make a difference in this day and age. I'm very grateful though. Very content. :)

finalaspects

Gold

Post by finalaspects » Wed Jun 02, 2010 3:25 pm

Island Girl wrote:

They seem to be going hard after people from California. A couple people in the Choosing a Law School forum got scholly increases that were from Cali. Seems like they want to fight that "weak on the West Coast" reputation, and the best way to do that is to just get people from Cali to come out for school and then return.
I am from California. I'm a minority by the way but definitely not a URM. My stats are 157, 3.7. Who knew softs could make a difference in this day and age. I'm very grateful though. Very content. :)
they're still going for high GPA... :(

but wow im guessing this is your highest acceptance considering the 157 score. congrats!!!

JOThompson

Silver

Post by JOThompson » Wed Jun 02, 2010 3:26 pm

Regionality wrote:
JOThompson wrote:
Regionality wrote:

Best of luck in IC, I loved Iowa!
Best of luck to you too. I know you have some excellent options available and I don't think you can go wrong with any of them.

Island Girl

Bronze

Post by Island Girl » Wed Jun 02, 2010 5:04 pm

finalaspects wrote:
Island Girl wrote:

they're still going for high GPA... :(

but wow im guessing this is your highest acceptance considering the 157 score. congrats!!!
It is my highest acceptance. I'm not going to be picky about it. Haha. I've been browsing this thread since it's infancy so I'm caught up with the posts. I know how much we all wanted to get in. Wishing you the best of luck and to everyone else! I'm rooting for you all!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

blurbz

Silver

Post by blurbz » Wed Jun 02, 2010 6:29 pm

Island Girl wrote:
It is my highest acceptance. I'm not going to be picky about it. Haha. I've been browsing this thread since it's infancy so I'm caught up with the posts. I know how much we all wanted to get in. Wishing you the best of luck and to everyone else! I'm rooting for you all!

Congratulations!

robin600

Gold

Post by robin600 » Thu Jun 03, 2010 1:00 am

So this has really nothing do to with admissions but I decided to post here anyways. Why is WUSTL getting such a bad rap on TLS for hiring prospects and such? Like I see people choosing ND or Vanderbilt over WUSTL with a lot of money? Am I on crack or what am I missing here?

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Thu Jun 03, 2010 1:11 am

robin600 wrote:So this has really nothing do to with admissions but I decided to post here anyways. Why is WUSTL getting such a bad rap on TLS for hiring prospects and such? Like I see people choosing ND or Vanderbilt over WUSTL with a lot of money? Am I on crack or what am I missing here?
Vanderbilt is a TLS favorite because of their biglaw placement, the campus/atmosphere, degree portability, and Nashville. It is an objectively better school than WUSTL, but if you want the Midwest (like myself), then WUSTL is the better option. I turned down 60k at Vandy for 75k at WUSTL, and there isn't a day that goes by that I don't second-guess myself. But I think I made the right choice since I want STL and the Midwest. But Vandy clearly owns everywhere else though.

ND... meh. They have some big-time trolls on this site and I think they drown a lot a lot of people out. WUSTL/ND are peers so it mostly comes down to preference. I'd also so ND is better for California, but I think a person would be wrong to pick either if they want the West Coast. Don't worry too much about people picking ND over WUSTL, because I know a few people who picked WUSTL over ND.

Integrity

Bronze

Post by Integrity » Thu Jun 03, 2010 1:19 am

Now that we are addressing how the trolls portray WashU, is there any merit to their WashJew remarks?...

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”