For WUSTL Applicants Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Pearalegal

Silver

Re: For WUSTL Applicants

Post by Pearalegal » Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:20 pm

Hopefulundergrad--

Good lord.

I was honestly asking your first question, because though I knew you were responding to Helm, I didn't realize you wouldn't want other input.

I thought it was odd to ask about if it was worth it for you to go or not and then to list all the schools you really wanted to go to. Seems like thats your answer right there if WUSTL's ASW is worth it.

"Did you just say this to brag?" Really wasn't intended to get you all sensitive, because I would think you are self-aware enough to realize how listing obviously higher ranked schools (that you got into, which is great!) in a thread about WUSTL and then asked if it was worth it for you to attend WUSTL's ASW would come off. I mean, come on.

I was completely serious when I said only you can make that decision, based on your own level of interest in the school. If you're worried about the money timeline, call and ask. I got the same 200, and I contacted them yesterday because I'm facing the same problem.

goblue2010

New

Post by goblue2010 » Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:22 pm

Helmholtz - no, I didn't receive a scholarship consideration, just the regular acceptance email. I'm totally fine with being in the "lucky to have been accepted" category rather than "we're going to give you a scholarship" category - however, they did admit me, so I think it's odd that they will only provide travel stipends to some people? I feel like most schools, you either can get a travel stipend or not, it didn't seem to be dependent on where you ranked in the admitted students list. Honestly, it's a great school and I'll probably still visit anyway.

Hopefullawstudent

Bronze

Post by Hopefullawstudent » Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:26 pm

goblue2010 wrote: Thanks for posting! I actually ended up emailing them and they said they have not yet made decisions on who to award travel stipends to (yeah right, don't they know we talk too? haha) and that they will email me if I am awarded one. Kind of weird. You'd think that if I got admitted along with everyone else, they should award everyone a travel stipend , right? But I guess they are only giving them to people they really want to woo. I realize that I'm not someone they need to try to pull away from the T14, but I do think that's kind of a weird way to go about things, like two-tiered admissions? Hmm..
It is odd, but it makes sense from an economic standpoint. People with a high likelihood of attending are more likely to bear the costs of visiting. People with a lower likelihood of attending must be given an incentive to visit. This assumes that visiting the school will actually boost the low-likelihood peoples' willingness to attend the school.

The best strategy WashU could pursue is to "wine and dine" the high stats people. Of course, this should be done in private and kept confidential. :lol: I know they do this for graduate programs. High-profile students are given over-the-top treatment during ASDs.

-HL

Hopefullawstudent

Bronze

Post by Hopefullawstudent » Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:27 pm

goblue2010 wrote:Helmholtz - no, I didn't receive a scholarship consideration, just the regular acceptance email. I'm totally fine with being in the "lucky to have been accepted" category rather than "we're going to give you a scholarship" category - however, they did admit me, so I think it's odd that they will only provide travel stipends to some people? I feel like most schools, you either can get a travel stipend or not, it didn't seem to be dependent on where you ranked in the admitted students list. Honestly, it's a great school and I'll probably still visit anyway.
There ya go. :wink: See my post above.

mchrop10

New

Post by mchrop10 » Wed Jan 13, 2010 2:56 pm

So my status checker updated yesterday to say Application Complete 1/12

It previously said Application Complete 11/20

Anyone else have something like this?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Neil

Bronze

Post by Neil » Wed Jan 13, 2010 3:56 pm

mchrop10 wrote:So my status checker updated yesterday to say Application Complete 1/12

Mine changed today to Application Complete 1/13. Interesting...

savesthedayajb

Silver

Post by savesthedayajb » Wed Jan 13, 2010 3:57 pm

:? Still my old complete date 12/14

missvik218

Silver

Post by missvik218 » Wed Jan 13, 2010 4:01 pm

Neil wrote:
mchrop10 wrote:So my status checker updated yesterday to say Application Complete 1/12

Yes! Mine too ... thoughts?!

crombot

Bronze

Post by crombot » Wed Jan 13, 2010 4:03 pm

missvik218 wrote:
Neil wrote:

Same too (from 'app complete 12/10'). Does WUSTL's status checker change to IR or is one of those that goes either straight to DR or tells you via status check?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Neil

Bronze

Post by Neil » Wed Jan 13, 2010 4:06 pm

missvik218 wrote:
Neil wrote:

eas331 wrote:
camstant wrote:This was in December, but after my date was updated i recieved my email 4 or 5 days later.
Well, I'm glad I didn't have to wait that long -- just got the acceptance e-mail! :D The e-mail also mentioned being under consideration for the Scholars in Law award -- guess I'll have to do my research and see how that works. . .
This quote is about 3 hours after eas331 had the same thing happen to her. Now I will be staring at my inbox for the rest of the day...

crombot

Bronze

Post by crombot » Wed Jan 13, 2010 4:07 pm

Neil wrote:
missvik218 wrote:
Neil wrote:

eas331 wrote:
camstant wrote:This was in December, but after my date was updated i recieved my email 4 or 5 days later.
Well, I'm glad I didn't have to wait that long -- just got the acceptance e-mail! :D The e-mail also mentioned being under consideration for the Scholars in Law award -- guess I'll have to do my research and see how that works. . .
This quote is about 3 hours after eas331 had the same thing happen to her. Now I will be staring at my inbox for the rest of the day...
ahhh blast! :x

Neil

Bronze

Post by Neil » Wed Jan 13, 2010 4:09 pm

You don't take this as a good sign? Or you just don't feel like staring at your inbox all day?

Geist13

Silver

Post by Geist13 » Wed Jan 13, 2010 4:12 pm

I too had my complete date updated today. 12/8 -> 1/13. I've heard of and experienced in these infuriating review updates, but not complete updates. Either it's complete or it isn't.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

crombot

Bronze

Post by crombot » Wed Jan 13, 2010 4:13 pm

Neil wrote:
You don't take this as a good sign? Or you just don't feel like staring at your inbox all day?
Haha...I don't feel like staring at my inbox all day! But happy to have some movement today.

missvik218

Silver

Post by missvik218 » Wed Jan 13, 2010 4:14 pm

Last week WUSTL sent out waves of acceptances on Wednesday and Friday ... could be promising with the updating "complete" dates!

Snoopy1216

Bronze

Post by Snoopy1216 » Wed Jan 13, 2010 4:15 pm

Nice to know there is movement, but mine still has the same ole november completion date :cry:

crombot

Bronze

Post by crombot » Wed Jan 13, 2010 5:12 pm

missvik218 wrote:Last week WUSTL sent out waves of acceptances on Wednesday and Friday ... could be promising with the updating "complete" dates!
missvik, don't get our hopes up!

btw, i think we applied to almost all the same schools, i see you on every board i check!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

threeonefour

New

Post by threeonefour » Wed Jan 13, 2010 5:13 pm

I'm gonna need them to say something...

missvik218

Silver

Post by missvik218 » Wed Jan 13, 2010 5:14 pm

crombot wrote:
missvik218 wrote:Last week WUSTL sent out waves of acceptances on Wednesday and Friday ... could be promising with the updating "complete" dates!

btw, i think we applied to almost all the same schools, i see you on every board i check!
I know, I see you too and it makes me happy because I <3 your tar! We have similar numbers, I'm a bit more "split" I suppose. Too late about my hopes, I just started searching around WUSTL's website, I WANT IN!!

savesthedayajb

Silver

Post by savesthedayajb » Wed Jan 13, 2010 5:15 pm

anyone with a first complete 12/14 or later get an updated date?

Neil

Bronze

Post by Neil » Wed Jan 13, 2010 5:23 pm

crombot wrote:

Yeah, I don't post often but I see the both of you in a bunch of the school threads I check, too. Of course, a lot of credit for that needs to be given to the fact that we each applied to a billion schools. :lol:

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

missvik218

Silver

Post by missvik218 » Wed Jan 13, 2010 5:24 pm

Neil wrote:
crombot wrote:

Yeah, I don't post often but I see the both of you in a bunch of the school threads I check, too. Of course, a lot of credit for that needs to be given to the fact that we each applied to a billion schools. :lol:
I'm "watching" you both on LSN too, in the least creepy way possible.

Neil

Bronze

Post by Neil » Wed Jan 13, 2010 5:36 pm

missvik218 wrote:
Neil wrote:
crombot wrote:

I'm "watching" you both on LSN too, in the least creepy way possible.
I feel objectified. But I'm cool with that. Hopefully we can "watch" a cluster of green dots show up on WUSTL's LSN graph tonight...

crombot

Bronze

Post by crombot » Wed Jan 13, 2010 5:39 pm

missvik218 wrote:
crombot wrote:

I know, I see you too and it makes me happy because I <3 your tar! We have similar numbers, I'm a bit more "split" I suppose. Too late about my hopes, I just started searching around WUSTL's website, I WANT IN!!
haha, i just had this image of someone standing outside of the admissions committee offices....pounding on the door and demanding a favorable decision. sometimes, i think that isnt outside of the realm of possibility for TLSers.

crombot

Bronze

Post by crombot » Wed Jan 13, 2010 5:41 pm

<<officially 'watching' neil on LSN, in the least creepy way possible.

It will be interesting if we end up having similar acceptances, and seeing who decides to go where....

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”