For WUSTL Applicants Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Hopefullawstudent

Bronze

Re: For WUSTL Applicants

Post by Hopefullawstudent » Mon Jan 11, 2010 8:30 pm

Anyone know if there is a travel and lodging reimbursement? I'd like to visit, but not if I have to drop $200.

Helmholtz

Gold

Post by Helmholtz » Mon Jan 11, 2010 8:32 pm

Hopefullawstudent wrote:Anyone know if there is a travel and lodging reimbursement? I'd like to visit, but not if I have to drop $200.
It says in the e-mail that there is a $200 travel reimbursement.

miami..

New

Post by miami.. » Mon Jan 11, 2010 8:42 pm

maybe im blind....but where does it say the stipend....maybe im not cool enough to get one

Hopefullawstudent

Bronze

Post by Hopefullawstudent » Mon Jan 11, 2010 8:46 pm

Helmholtz wrote:
Hopefullawstudent wrote:Anyone know if there is a travel and lodging reimbursement? I'd like to visit, but not if I have to drop $200.
It says in the e-mail that there is a $200 travel reimbursement.
I see... so some of us actually read the entire email.. interesting. Seriously, thanks. I'm definitely going to one of these then.

-HL

FunkyJD

Silver

Post by FunkyJD » Mon Jan 11, 2010 8:53 pm

Lawrence wrote:
FunkyJD wrote:
Lawrence wrote:Hey everybody, I'm a 1L at WUSTL. I don't know too much about the admissions process beyond my experience last year, but I can probably answer some questions about it. I'd also be more than happy to answer questions about the school you guys might have.
Hi Lawrence. I have a few questions:

How long did it take you to go from complete to a decision?

And what sold you on going to WUSTL, versus other choices you had? Now that you're there, what are some pros and cons of the school?

Favorite course and professor? Why?

And how cool is A-B Hall? I hear it's really nice.
I want to say it took about 6-7 weeks for me to get a decision after going complete though it certainly felt like a lot longer at the time!

Like a lot of other people at Wash U scholarship money was a big factor. Although, I did have another offer in the top 20 that was offering me 30,000 more that I turned down. I have family in the area though which was a big factor and the other school (Minnesota) was just not in an area I could see myself living for 3 years, let alone where I thought I would want to end up practicing. Besides that, I just got a very good feeling from the school when I visited. The facilities where top notch and all the people were welcoming and friendly. After a semester here I'm comfortable saying that is just what the school is like and it isn't an act put on for visitors.

Not really sure on the favorite course but I will second Baker as being my favorite professor. Very good teacher who at the same time kept me in tears (laughing) most of the semester.

And AB Hall is amazing. For me coming from a large state school, there is just no comparison.Everyone says it but I think you really need to visit and see it to appreciate just how nice everything is.
Thanks for the answers. I may PM you with additional questions if you don't mind.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Helmholtz

Gold

Post by Helmholtz » Mon Jan 11, 2010 10:26 pm

miami.. wrote:maybe im blind....but where does it say the stipend....maybe im not cool enough to get one
Finally, based on your outstanding academic credentials, I am pleased to be able to offer you a travel stipend to use toward visiting the law school. When you visit the school between now and April 1, 2010, we will reimburse your expenses for transportation and/or lodging, up to $200, if you are traveling from more than 100 miles to St. Louis. (When you make your visit you will be given a form to complete to submit with your receipts.) As always, if we may provide any assistance to you, please do not hesitate to contact our office. We look forward to helping you learn more about Washington U Law!

krispykitten

Bronze

Post by krispykitten » Mon Jan 11, 2010 10:39 pm

Last edited by krispykitten on Thu Jan 20, 2011 5:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Helmholtz

Gold

Post by Helmholtz » Mon Jan 11, 2010 10:40 pm

krispykitten wrote:I'll probably be at one of the ASDs, but I'm not sure which one yet.
I'm thinking about the January one, although I can't imagine too many people going to it since it's less than three weeks out from when it was announced.

Chupavida

Bronze

Post by Chupavida » Mon Jan 11, 2010 10:52 pm

Last edited by Chupavida on Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Lawrence

New

Post by Lawrence » Tue Jan 12, 2010 12:59 am

FunkyJD wrote:
Lawrence wrote:
FunkyJD wrote:
Lawrence wrote:Hey everybody, I'm a 1L at WUSTL. I don't know too much about the admissions process beyond my experience last year, but I can probably answer some questions about it. I'd also be more than happy to answer questions about the school you guys might have.
Hi Lawrence. I have a few questions:

How long did it take you to go from complete to a decision?

And what sold you on going to WUSTL, versus other choices you had? Now that you're there, what are some pros and cons of the school?

Favorite course and professor? Why?

And how cool is A-B Hall? I hear it's really nice.
I want to say it took about 6-7 weeks for me to get a decision after going complete though it certainly felt like a lot longer at the time!

Like a lot of other people at Wash U scholarship money was a big factor. Although, I did have another offer in the top 20 that was offering me 30,000 more that I turned down. I have family in the area though which was a big factor and the other school (Minnesota) was just not in an area I could see myself living for 3 years, let alone where I thought I would want to end up practicing. Besides that, I just got a very good feeling from the school when I visited. The facilities where top notch and all the people were welcoming and friendly. After a semester here I'm comfortable saying that is just what the school is like and it isn't an act put on for visitors.

Not really sure on the favorite course but I will second Baker as being my favorite professor. Very good teacher who at the same time kept me in tears (laughing) most of the semester.

And AB Hall is amazing. For me coming from a large state school, there is just no comparison.Everyone says it but I think you really need to visit and see it to appreciate just how nice everything is.
Thanks for the answers. I may PM you with additional questions if you don't mind.
Not a problem at all.

clint4law

Silver

Post by clint4law » Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:51 am

anyone else still under review since 11/10?

t_flores08

New

Post by t_flores08 » Tue Jan 12, 2010 10:31 am

clint4law wrote:anyone else still under review since 11/10?
mine says app complete: 11/16/2009 and I have yet to hear from them. I sent in my app around late October.

goblue2010

New

Post by goblue2010 » Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:10 am

i think the travel stipend may only be for certain people :(, i was accepted and got the admitted student day email but mine definitely does not say that they will reimburse travel expenses - anyone else got this email? i guess that means i'm on the low end of their totem pole ha.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

robin600

Gold

Post by robin600 » Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:35 am

still application complete 9/24/09

CyLaw

Gold

Post by CyLaw » Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:38 am

goblue2010 wrote:i think the travel stipend may only be for certain people :(, i was accepted and got the admitted student day email but mine definitely does not say that they will reimburse travel expenses - anyone else got this email? i guess that means i'm on the low end of their totem pole ha.
It is not in the Admitted Student Day email. It is at the bottom of the Admitted Student Bulletin Board email.

Gold

Post by 02082010 » Tue Jan 12, 2010 12:42 pm

Helmholtz wrote:
krispykitten wrote:I'll probably be at one of the ASDs, but I'm not sure which one yet.
I'm thinking about the January one, although I can't imagine too many people going to it since it's less than three weeks out from when it was announced.
Are you going? Are you not completely T14/Michigan focused? I was wondering if I should go or not? Especially since I plan on going to UVA and GULC in the spring. And, if admittied, Penn/Duke/NYU.

Helmholtz

Gold

Post by Helmholtz » Tue Jan 12, 2010 12:47 pm

hopefulundergrad wrote:
Helmholtz wrote:
Are you going? Are you not completely T14/Michigan focused? I was wondering if I should go or not? Especially since I plan on going to UVA and GULC in the spring. And, if admittied, Penn/Duke/NYU.
Eh, if they're willing to give me $200 in travel expenses, I figured why not. Hotels are about half the price in January that they are in March and that $200 should be able to cover a couple of nights at a 4 star hotel. Gives me a nice excuse to get away for a little bit.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Pearalegal

Silver

Post by Pearalegal » Tue Jan 12, 2010 12:47 pm

hopefulundergrad wrote: Are you going? Are you not completely T14/Michigan focused? I was wondering if I should go or not? Especially since I plan on going to UVA and GULC in the spring. And, if admittied, Penn/Duke/NYU.
Did you write this just to brag? Go if you're genuinely interested in the school. Simple enough.

Gold

Post by 02082010 » Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:00 pm

Pearalegal wrote:
hopefulundergrad wrote: Are you going? Are you not completely T14/Michigan focused? I was wondering if I should go or not? Especially since I plan on going to UVA and GULC in the spring. And, if admittied, Penn/Duke/NYU.
Did you write this just to brag? Go if you're genuinely interested in the school. Simple enough.
Yes, simply to brag. And not because going to 3 ASWs, with the potential to go to 4 more may be costly if you have to bear all the costs upfront and are waiting for who knows how long for a school to reimburse you. And the fact that scholarship $$ notification (typically not made until Feb-March) don't at all affect whether or not you're interested in a school so you may be hesitant to go to ASWs earlier in the year.

I didn't even think about that stuff, I just wanted to not-so-subtlely brag.

Pearalegal

Silver

Post by Pearalegal » Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:03 pm

hopefulundergrad wrote:
Pearalegal wrote:
Yes, simply to brag. And not because going to 3 ASWs, with the potential to go to 4 more may be costly if you have to bear all the costs upfront and are waiting for who knows how long for a school to reimburse you. And the fact that scholarship $$ notification (typically not made until Feb-March) don't at all affect whether or not you're interested in a school so you may be hesitant to go to ASWs earlier in the year.

:roll: You didn't put any of that in your post and you named dropped the other schools. How on earth would anyone be able to respond to any of those concerns from your previous post?

And in the end...you're obviously the only one who can make that decision based on if you're interested enough in the school.

Gold

Post by 02082010 » Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:08 pm

Pearalegal wrote:
hopefulundergrad wrote:
Pearalegal wrote:

:roll: You didn't put any of that in your post and you named dropped the other schools. How on earth would anyone be able to respond to any of those concerns from your previous post?

And in the end...you're obviously the only one who can make that decision based on if you're interested enough in the school.
Well, since the question was directed towards Helm and not the general thread, I didn't feel the need to elaborate. I've moved our conversation to PM. It's too early in the day to deal with any complex you may have.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Pearalegal

Silver

Post by Pearalegal » Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:10 pm

hopefulundergrad wrote: Well, since the question was directed towards Helm and not the general thread, I didn't feel the need to elaborate. I've moved our conversation to PM. It's too early in the day to deal with any complex you may have.
Good decision, as apparently it was supposed to be a one on one conversation in a public thread. My mistake.

Gold

Post by 02082010 » Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:13 pm

Pearalegal wrote:
hopefulundergrad wrote: Well, since the question was directed towards Helm and not the general thread, I didn't feel the need to elaborate. I've moved our conversation to PM. It's too early in the day to deal with any complex you may have.
Good decision, as apparently it was supposed to be a one on one conversation in a public thread. My mistake.
Yeah, you're right. There was no way to tell.

hopefulundergrad wrote:
Helmholtz wrote:I'm thinking about the January one, although I can't imagine too many people going to it since it's less than three weeks out from when it was announced.

goblue2010

New

Post by goblue2010 » Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:16 pm

CyLaw wrote:
goblue2010 wrote:i think the travel stipend may only be for certain people :(, i was accepted and got the admitted student day email but mine definitely does not say that they will reimburse travel expenses - anyone else got this email? i guess that means i'm on the low end of their totem pole ha.
It is not in the Admitted Student Day email. It is at the bottom of the Admitted Student Bulletin Board email.

Thanks for posting! I actually ended up emailing them and they said they have not yet made decisions on who to award travel stipends to (yeah right, don't they know we talk too? haha) and that they will email me if I am awarded one. Kind of weird. You'd think that if I got admitted along with everyone else, they should award everyone a travel stipend , right? But I guess they are only giving them to people they really want to woo. I realize that I'm not someone they need to try to pull away from the T14, but I do think that's kind of a weird way to go about things, like two-tiered admissions? Hmm..

Helmholtz

Gold

Post by Helmholtz » Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:19 pm

goblue2010 wrote:
CyLaw wrote:

Thanks for posting! I actually ended up emailing them and they said they have not yet made decisions on who to award travel stipends to (yeah right, don't they know we talk too? haha) and that they will email me if I am awarded one. Kind of weird. You'd think that if I got admitted along with everyone else, they should award everyone a travel stipend , right? But I guess they are only giving them to people they really want to woo. I realize that I'm not someone they need to try to pull away from the T14, but I do think that's kind of a weird way to go about things, like two-tiered admissions? Hmm..
In your acceptance e-mail, did it mention anything about scholarships?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”