For WUSTL Applicants Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
finalaspects

Gold

Re: For WUSTL Applicants

Post by finalaspects » Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:11 pm

quadsixm wrote:
finalaspects wrote:
jks289 wrote: My scholarship is only 10/year so I'm not sure that it is money motivated. Are there any admitted students who didn't get the email? My sense is it is just a mass email to everyone who deposited, otherwise yikes, I think I would feel more offended if I were singled out.
10k is still money. 30k over 3 years.

is there any case where a person without any scholarship getting this email?

The OP's email in the WUSTL 2013 thread said "Your scholarship...", so that specific email went out only to scholarship recipients. Don't know if there was a separate email going out to non-scholly admits.

If this is truly over, wish they would cut us Hold and WLers loose already...
i think my theory is right then. its not over. just they went over budget.

JCougar

Gold

Post by JCougar » Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:24 pm

Ugh...this blows. Right after I toured the school and hung out in St. Louis for the weekend, and right after I had fallen in love with the school and the city. I guess I really don't know what is going on, though. I keep turning this around in my mind and thinking about how I can possibly spin this to myself as a good sign, and I can't find any.

finalaspects

Gold

Post by finalaspects » Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:25 pm

JCougar wrote:Ugh...this blows. Right after I toured the school and hung out in St. Louis for the weekend, and right after I had fallen in love with the school and the city. I guess I really don't know what is going on, though. I keep turning this around in my mind and thinking about how I can possibly spin this to myself as a good sign, and I can't find any.
did you read my theory?

JCougar

Gold

Post by JCougar » Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:32 pm

finalaspects wrote:
JCougar wrote:Ugh...this blows. Right after I toured the school and hung out in St. Louis for the weekend, and right after I had fallen in love with the school and the city. I guess I really don't know what is going on, though. I keep turning this around in my mind and thinking about how I can possibly spin this to myself as a good sign, and I can't find any.
did you read my theory?
Yeah, but they sent the same e-mail to jks, who is only a semi-splitter at 169/3.5. And jks got only a 10K/year scholarship. If your theory is true, then, it means no one on the waitlist/hold list should expect any money if they even get in at all.

We'll have to just see if someone with no scholarship at all got a similar e-mail.

finalaspects

Gold

Post by finalaspects » Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:49 pm

JCougar wrote:
finalaspects wrote:
did you read my theory?
Yeah, but they sent the same e-mail to jks, who is only a semi-splitter at 169/3.5. And jks got only a 10K/year scholarship. If your theory is true, then, it means no one on the waitlist/hold list should expect any money if they even get in at all.

We'll have to just see if someone with no scholarship at all got a similar e-mail.
oh so you're not worried about just getting accepted? then that's a different story. but even with a 180/4.0 it shouldn't mean you get a scholarship although you probably will.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

JCougar

Gold

Post by JCougar » Thu Apr 22, 2010 8:14 pm

finalaspects wrote:
JCougar wrote:
finalaspects wrote:
did you read my theory?

oh so you're not worried about just getting accepted? then that's a different story. but even with a 180/4.0 it shouldn't mean you get a scholarship although you probably will.
I guess I am. I don't know how I'd justify spending $44k/year at WUSTL compared to $17k/year at Wisconsin. Normally, an LSAT of 167 or above seems to get you at least a 10k/year scholly. I'd definitely pay an extra $17k/year to go to WUSTL, but paying an extra $27k/year? That's something I'd really have to think about. My heart says I'd still pick WUSTL, but my brain says that's kind of ridiculous, especially with Wisconsin doing fairly well in placement lately as well. I'd have to think long and hard about that, and I know a bunch of people who would tell me I'm crazy for not taking in-state tuition.

shadu

New

Post by shadu » Thu Apr 22, 2010 8:16 pm

I just withdrew and freed up $60k. Good luck everyone.

najumobi

Silver

Post by najumobi » Thu Apr 22, 2010 9:19 pm

dvd wrote:
finalaspects wrote:
jman77 wrote:I just got an e-mail asking if I was open to deferring to next year, and if so, they would also defer my scholarship. Looks like they truly had more people depositing than the Admissions folks expected?
wow... man... i guess its pretty much over :cry:
I can see all of this backfiring on Wash U.
how? don't you think they have plenty of held applicants with 167/168 admissions could pick up if too many admitted students withdraw?

dvd

Bronze

Post by dvd » Thu Apr 22, 2010 9:21 pm

`
Last edited by dvd on Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

najumobi

Silver

Post by najumobi » Thu Apr 22, 2010 9:23 pm

dvd wrote:
najumobi wrote:
dvd wrote:
jman77 wrote:I just got an e-mail asking if I was open to deferring to next year, and if so, they would also defer my scholarship. Looks like they truly had more people depositing than the Admissions folks expected?
I can see all of this backfiring on Wash U.
how? don't you think they have plenty of held applicants with 167/168 admissions could pick up if too many admitted students withdraw?
Well, their numbers go down, for one. They may have 167/168s, but if they have already given out too much money, chances are they either will not get takers with top GPAs, or they won't get 167/168s.
ah ic

trademark

New

Post by trademark » Fri Apr 23, 2010 8:25 am

They take the median, not the average. You can play with that pretty easily.

expungemalice

New

Post by expungemalice » Sun Apr 25, 2010 2:25 pm

has no one on here or LSN heard anything since about 2 weeks ago? thats worrisome...

darklighter13

New

Post by darklighter13 » Sun Apr 25, 2010 5:03 pm

expungemalice wrote:has no one on here or LSN heard anything since about 2 weeks ago? thats worrisome...
Given that WUSTL's non-refundable deposit deadline is May 1, I'm not terribly surprised that there hasn't been movement.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

JCougar

Gold

Post by JCougar » Tue Apr 27, 2010 10:23 am

Well, two more high LSATs withdrew last night (according to LSN). I wonder how close we are coming to extra spots opening up in the class.

najumobi

Silver

Post by najumobi » Tue Apr 27, 2010 10:33 am

JCougar wrote:Well, two more high LSATs withdrew last night (according to LSN). I wonder how close we are coming to extra spots opening up in the class.
i'm rooting for you man.
though would you take wustl @ sticker (if it comes to that) over wisconsin in-state?

JCougar

Gold

Post by JCougar » Tue Apr 27, 2010 10:40 am

najumobi wrote:
JCougar wrote:Well, two more high LSATs withdrew last night (according to LSN). I wonder how close we are coming to extra spots opening up in the class.
i'm rooting for you man.
though would you take wustl @ sticker (if it comes to that) over wisconsin in-state?
Not sure about at sticker. Probably not. But I'm also not sure that they won't be offering money to people taken off the waitlist. When I visited, the admissions office didn't give me that impression, and in years past, people taken off the waitlist even very late in the cycle seemed to get scholarships that matched their numbers.

44K vs. 17K is a huge difference over three years. 34K vs. 17K is far more reasonable given the advantage in placement WUSTL offers.
29K vs. 17K would be much better, but it seems splitters aren't getting any more than 10K per year this year. Last year, 15K seemed more plausible.

waitingfor1L

New

Post by waitingfor1L » Tue Apr 27, 2010 10:47 am

I visited this week and the lady said they'd be giving no scholarships to candidates they take off the waiting list. But it is maybe different for held students

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

itsmytime10

Bronze

Post by itsmytime10 » Tue Apr 27, 2010 10:51 am

waitingfor1L wrote:I visited this week and the lady said they'd be giving no scholarships to candidates they take off the waiting list. But it is maybe different for held students
I just called to confirm this.

finalaspects

Gold

Post by finalaspects » Tue Apr 27, 2010 10:52 am

itsmytime10 wrote:
waitingfor1L wrote:I visited this week and the lady said they'd be giving no scholarships to candidates they take off the waiting list. But it is maybe different for held students
I just called to confirm this.
for only waitlisted? or for held students as well?

Sauer Grapes

Silver

Post by Sauer Grapes » Tue Apr 27, 2010 10:56 am

Taking into account the fact that they are over deposited and over extended on scholarship money, this shouldn't come as a surprise. Now, I'd never say never, but it would take a mass withdrawal of scholarship recipients to change the possibility of anyone else getting money.

JCougar

Gold

Post by JCougar » Tue Apr 27, 2010 11:08 am

The people on the wait list generally have numbers that haven't been generating much scholarship money (if at all) this cycle. So you might be right in this distinction. The people on the hold list simply haven't received a decision yet. They are not considered to be on the waitlist according to the admissions office. Other schools (looking at you, Minnesota & Cornell) seem to have an effective hold list as well this year, but they just haven't officially notified the applicants (as in many people still have heard absolutely nothing).

Law schools are being extra careful this year due to application patterns that are changing (i.e. more people applying to dozens of schools, which affects yield rate). But there's also the fact that more people have higher LSAT numbers due to the trend of more people retaking the LSAT to get a higher score.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

JCougar

Gold

Post by JCougar » Tue Apr 27, 2010 11:13 am

Sauer Grapes wrote:Taking into account the fact that they are over deposited and over extended on scholarship money, this shouldn't come as a surprise. Now, I'd never say never, but it would take a mass withdrawal of scholarship recipients to change the possibility of anyone else getting money.
I don't know if it would take a mass withdrawal, because, as long as they are over-deposited, well, of course they're going to be over-committed on scholarships as well. They still expect some of these people to withdraw over the next week and even through the month of May. If the entering class is reduced to the point where spots open up, it's likely that the amount of scholarship money they have committed will also be reduced.

finalaspects

Gold

Post by finalaspects » Tue Apr 27, 2010 11:36 am

JCougar wrote:
Sauer Grapes wrote:Taking into account the fact that they are over deposited and over extended on scholarship money, this shouldn't come as a surprise. Now, I'd never say never, but it would take a mass withdrawal of scholarship recipients to change the possibility of anyone else getting money.
I don't know if it would take a mass withdrawal, because, as long as they are over-deposited, well, of course they're going to be over-committed on scholarships as well. They still expect some of these people to withdraw over the next week and even through the month of May. If the entering class is reduced to the point where spots open up, it's likely that the amount of scholarship money they have committed will also be reduced.
yea im guessing some people are willing to lose their deposit to stay on board. but if they are planning not to attend, they wouldn't throw down the second deposit which is due June 1st i believe. so we might still be in for a long wait.

jman77

Silver

Post by jman77 » Tue Apr 27, 2010 11:52 am

finalaspects wrote:
JCougar wrote:
yea im guessing some people are willing to lose their deposit to stay on board. but if they are planning not to attend, they wouldn't throw down the second deposit which is due June 1st i believe. so we might still be in for a long wait.
This is true. $200 really isn't a lot of money, especially when considered against the security provided by a very substantial scholarship. In my case, I am certainly willing to let the May 1st deadline pass and eat the deposit even if I am not yet sure I'm going to WUSTL.

Now if it were $500, on the other hand, that would be a different story altogether. I think in this regard, Illinois does a better job of ferreting out the "non-serious" admits early... I mean, $500 on April 30 and another $500 on May 21?

JCougar

Gold

Post by JCougar » Tue Apr 27, 2010 12:45 pm

finalaspects wrote:
JCougar wrote:
Correct. $200 is not a lot to lose, especially to people who have already spent $1000 on LSAT takes and retakes, study materials, application fees, etc. You've spent money and time the past year preparing and doing the best you could on the LSAT, and now you're going to give up the fruit of all that work for a lousy $200? I think a lot of people are still deciding between 2-3 schools, and are on some waitlists as well. Many people haven't even received a decision yet from a few of their target schools.

I'm going to stick with Dean Pless' assertion that he thinks waitlist activity this year will be moderate to heavy, because from what I have read on here, a lot of people still have decisions to make between schools at which they have already been accepted.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”