For WUSTL Applicants Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
trademark

New

Re: For WUSTL Applicants

Post by trademark » Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:29 am

Yeah I kind of doubt it, talked to someone yesterday who said there would not be scholarship money for anyone getting off the waitlist.

Xiaolong

Bronze

Post by Xiaolong » Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:38 am

trademark wrote:Yeah I kind of doubt it, talked to someone yesterday who said there would not be scholarship money for anyone getting off the waitlist.

So what happens with all the money that people free up who withdraw? Just FYI, I am not on the waitlist an was just wondering if WashU gives more money if asked nicely?

trademark

New

Post by trademark » Thu Apr 22, 2010 8:23 am

My guess would be they over offer knowing some people won't take it. It isn't exactly their first time doing this, I would assume they realize some people won't take it and they offer just about the correct amount. Not that they offer money they don't have- the money that isn't taken is not just thrown back into a scholarship pot for the Class of xxxx though. My $.02 at least.

stratocophic

Gold

Post by stratocophic » Thu Apr 22, 2010 12:31 pm

trademark wrote:My guess would be they over offer knowing some people won't take it. It isn't exactly their first time doing this, I would assume they realize some people won't take it and they offer just about the correct amount. Not that they offer money they don't have- the money that isn't taken is not just thrown back into a scholarship pot for the Class of xxxx though. My $.02 at least.
This. They wouldn't be happy if every 50%+ ride showed up for the first day of class regardless of numerical improvement for the class. Although, TBF, the median GPA would probably be atrocious given the money they throw at 170+/3.3- folks :lol:

Stephanie13

Bronze

Post by Stephanie13 » Thu Apr 22, 2010 1:15 pm

stratocophic wrote:
trademark wrote:My guess would be they over offer knowing some people won't take it. It isn't exactly their first time doing this, I would assume they realize some people won't take it and they offer just about the correct amount. Not that they offer money they don't have- the money that isn't taken is not just thrown back into a scholarship pot for the Class of xxxx though. My $.02 at least.
This. They wouldn't be happy if every 50%+ ride showed up for the first day of class regardless of numerical improvement for the class. Although, TBF, the median GPA would probably be atrocious given the money they throw at 170+/3.3- folks :lol:
No joke, they should throw more money at us reverse splitters! We help the medians too! :P

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

finalaspects

Gold

Post by finalaspects » Thu Apr 22, 2010 1:15 pm

Stephanie13 wrote:
stratocophic wrote:
No joke, they should throw more money at us reverse splitters! We help the medians too! :P
us regular splitters are the reason why they're ranked high though. =P

almost as if they're following northwestern's strategy.

jman77

Silver

Post by jman77 » Thu Apr 22, 2010 5:56 pm

I just got an e-mail asking if I was open to deferring to next year, and if so, they would also defer my scholarship. Looks like they truly had more people depositing than the Admissions folks expected?

quadsixm

Bronze

Post by quadsixm » Thu Apr 22, 2010 6:03 pm

So much for held and WLed people....
:cry:

jman77 wrote:I just got an e-mail asking if I was open to deferring to next year, and if so, they would also defer my scholarship. Looks like they truly had more people depositing than the Admissions folks expected?

jks289

Silver

Post by jks289 » Thu Apr 22, 2010 6:04 pm

quadsixm wrote:So much for held and WLed people....
:cry:

jman77 wrote:I just got an e-mail asking if I was open to deferring to next year, and if so, they would also defer my scholarship. Looks like they truly had more people depositing than the Admissions folks expected?
Yes it does seem like they have way too many deposits. The emails are practically asking us to defer.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

finalaspects

Gold

Post by finalaspects » Thu Apr 22, 2010 6:04 pm

wow... man... i guess its pretty much over :cry:

jman77

Silver

Post by jman77 » Thu Apr 22, 2010 6:10 pm

finalaspects wrote:
I will ask them if they are amenable to increasing my scholarship if I do defer. I am pretty happy with where I am right now and one more year at work will help me pay off my car/student loans and save up some more... so if the numbers add up, I may very well defer.

If it's for the same amount of scholarship, I'd probably be much less open.

jman77

Silver

Post by jman77 » Thu Apr 22, 2010 6:12 pm

jman77 wrote:
finalaspects wrote:
I will ask them if they are amenable to increasing my scholarship if I do defer. I am pretty happy with where I am right now and one more year at work will help me pay off my car/student loans and save up some more... so if the numbers add up, I may very well defer.

If it's for the same amount of scholarship, I'd probably be much less open.
Just to clarify, I have not yet made a decision to attend WUSTL...still choosing among 3 schools at this point. So I may end up withdrawing regardless, anyway.

dvd

Bronze

Post by dvd » Thu Apr 22, 2010 6:13 pm

`
Last edited by dvd on Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

JCougar

Gold

Post by JCougar » Thu Apr 22, 2010 6:19 pm

Wow...why you? Did anyone else get this e-mail?

I believe I now have a lump in my throat.

jman77

Silver

Post by jman77 » Thu Apr 22, 2010 6:22 pm

JCougar wrote:

I believe there have been a couple of people who have confirmed receiving this e-mail on the WUSTL Class of 2013 thread.

nowinGA

Bronze

Post by nowinGA » Thu Apr 22, 2010 6:25 pm

Um, yeah. That is a weird email. Somebody must have majorly over-offered.

I don't know why I feel a bit taken aback and/or offended that they seem to be asking me to defer. I mean, I realize they did not do that, but still. I have made no inquiry even close to that.

It seems weird that they are already worried when it has not yet reached May 1st and they have a refundable deposit. How can they know what is going to happen yet?
Last edited by nowinGA on Thu Apr 22, 2010 6:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

finalaspects

Gold

Post by finalaspects » Thu Apr 22, 2010 6:27 pm

jman77 wrote:
JCougar wrote:

I believe there have been a couple of people who have confirmed receiving this e-mail on the WUSTL Class of 2013 thread.
could it be that they just offered too much money scholarship wise? so they aren't asking those with small scholarships to withdraw? maybe they're not over-enrolled but just broke?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

jman77

Silver

Post by jman77 » Thu Apr 22, 2010 6:28 pm

finalaspects wrote:
jman77 wrote:
JCougar wrote:

could it be that they just offered too much money scholarship wise? so they aren't asking those with small scholarships to withdraw? maybe they're not over-enrolled but just broke?
This could be the case.

jks289

Silver

Post by jks289 » Thu Apr 22, 2010 6:28 pm

finalaspects wrote:
jman77 wrote:
JCougar wrote:

My scholarship is only 10/year so I'm not sure that it is money motivated. Are there any admitted students who didn't get the email? My sense is it is just a mass email to everyone who deposited, otherwise yikes, I think I would feel more offended if I were singled out.
Last edited by jks289 on Thu Apr 22, 2010 6:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nowinGA

Bronze

Post by nowinGA » Thu Apr 22, 2010 6:29 pm

finalaspects wrote:
jman77 wrote:
JCougar wrote:

You know, that is actually quite possible. I asked for an increase and they wrote back stating that they were already over their scholarship budget.

finalaspects

Gold

Post by finalaspects » Thu Apr 22, 2010 6:59 pm

jks289 wrote: My scholarship is only 10/year so I'm not sure that it is money motivated. Are there any admitted students who didn't get the email? My sense is it is just a mass email to everyone who deposited, otherwise yikes, I think I would feel more offended if I were singled out.
10k is still money. 30k over 3 years.

is there any case where a person without any scholarship getting this email?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

quadsixm

Bronze

Post by quadsixm » Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:06 pm

finalaspects wrote:
jks289 wrote: My scholarship is only 10/year so I'm not sure that it is money motivated. Are there any admitted students who didn't get the email? My sense is it is just a mass email to everyone who deposited, otherwise yikes, I think I would feel more offended if I were singled out.
10k is still money. 30k over 3 years.

is there any case where a person without any scholarship getting this email?

The OP's email in the WUSTL 2013 thread said "Your scholarship...", so that specific email went out only to scholarship recipients. Don't know if there was a separate email going out to non-scholly admits.

If this is truly over, wish they would cut us Hold and WLers loose already...

JCougar

Gold

Post by JCougar » Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:07 pm

What are your numbers?

jks289

Silver

Post by jks289 » Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:09 pm

JCougar wrote:
What are your numbers?
169, 3.5

JCougar

Gold

Post by JCougar » Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:10 pm

jks289 wrote:
JCougar wrote:
What are your numbers?
169, 3.5
Wow...that's not good news for me.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”