Univ of Georgia

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
eandy

Re: Univ of Georgia

Postby eandy » Wed Feb 10, 2010 5:22 pm

dhatfie1 wrote:So Georgia (very cordially I might add), sent me an email saying they had received my application etc., however my personal statement was not there. They simply asked me to attach it over email and said that it wasn't a problem. Of course I was extremely apologetic but at the same time I knew I had attached the PS. I even double-checked LSAC and looked over the transmitted pdf and it was there so I sent them the PS and mentioned the error on LSAC's part. Does anybody think this will hurt me at all, even it's just delaying their decision by another week? Thanks!

Nearly the exact same thing happened to me at W&M, only it was an answer to a c&f question. Don't worry about, it must be fairly common. Think about how much nearly identical paper is in admissions offices!

drwjr21

Postby drwjr21 » Wed Feb 10, 2010 5:37 pm

I just logged onto the status checker for the first time and it already says "it has been reviewed and is being held for further review." I just received the email to register today and only applied less than 2 weeks ago. Is this normal?

missvik218

Postby missvik218 » Wed Feb 10, 2010 5:52 pm

drwjr21 wrote:I just logged onto the status checker for the first time and it already says "it has been reviewed and is being held for further review." I just received the email to register today and only applied less than 2 weeks ago. Is this normal?

Yeah, UGA is a machine - if they want to be they can be super quick with apps. I submitted and had a decision within a week and a half.

drwjr21

Postby drwjr21 » Wed Feb 10, 2010 6:04 pm

missvik218 wrote:
drwjr21 wrote:I just logged onto the status checker for the first time and it already says "it has been reviewed and is being held for further review." I just received the email to register today and only applied less than 2 weeks ago. Is this normal?

Yeah, UGA is a machine - if they want to be they can be super quick with apps. I submitted and had a decision within a week and a half.

I am just glad they didn't outright reject me, Georgia is definitely a reach with my numbers.

Gunners87

Postby Gunners87 » Wed Feb 10, 2010 7:13 pm

Would I have any shot at scholly money if I applied now? My numbers are 165, 3.6x, OOS. Just thinking about sending some late apps out...

eldude

Postby eldude » Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:08 am

155/3.5
Any reason I haven't been rejected other than I go to UGA?
Decent work experience and not much else.
Thanks

dhatfie1

Postby dhatfie1 » Thu Feb 11, 2010 3:40 am

Gunners87 wrote:Would I have any shot at scholly money if I applied now? My numbers are 165, 3.6x, OOS. Just thinking about sending some late apps out...

Maybe, you would have to wait it out I would say because you missed the priority deadline for merit scholarships (Feb. 1st). However, I'm sure funds will open up after April 15th!

eandy

Postby eandy » Thu Feb 11, 2010 3:55 am

dhatfie1 wrote:
Gunners87 wrote:Would I have any shot at scholly money if I applied now? My numbers are 165, 3.6x, OOS. Just thinking about sending some late apps out...

Maybe, you would have to wait it out I would say because you missed the priority deadline for merit scholarships (Feb. 1st). However, I'm sure funds will open up after April 15th!

Did they need your application by February 1st or did you need to be complete by February 1st? I have been looking on their website for clarification, but I can't find it. I submitted my app in January, but Georgia was the last school to get my LSAC report; I didn't go complete until February.

smgallag

Postby smgallag » Thu Feb 11, 2010 9:25 am

eandy wrote:
dhatfie1 wrote:

Did they need your application by February 1st or did you need to be complete by February 1st? I have been looking on their website for clarification, but I can't find it. I submitted my app in January, but Georgia was the last school to get my LSAC report; I didn't go complete until February.

I believe they use the timestamp from when you submitted your application via LSAC and paid the application fee, provided all of your material was available to LSAC at that time (LSAT scores, LoRs, etc).

sufjan

Postby sufjan » Thu Feb 11, 2010 9:35 am

gogo

Postby gogo » Thu Feb 11, 2010 1:44 pm

kp009 wrote:
missvik218 wrote:Finally arrived, dated 1/28/10, 1L tuition equalization!

Did everyone else have this in their final paragraph too?!

"To accept this scholarship you will need to commit to enroll in the University of Georgia School of Law by April 1, 2010. A remind and commitment for you will be sent to you closer to that time. You must also submit you $50 seat deposit to the Admissions Office by April 15, 2010 in order to reserve your seat in the class enrolling in the Fall 2010."

What does the bolded mean? Is that more than just sending in your seat deposit?

Yay, congrats! This gives me hope that mine is still trying to make its way to me here in FL as well, though nothing in the mail today.

Hadn't heard about the April 1 deadline, that's a bit annoying.

I'm anxiously waiting to hear about scholarship info too! Has anyone received it outside of GA/FL yet?

dhatfie1

Postby dhatfie1 » Thu Feb 11, 2010 4:05 pm

smgallag wrote:
eandy wrote:
dhatfie1 wrote:

I believe they use the timestamp from when you submitted your application via LSAC and paid the application fee, provided all of your material was available to LSAC at that time (LSAT scores, LoRs, etc).

Yeah, this is correct, it's when you sent it off, not when it goes complete because that is completely variable and would be unfair to the applicant lol.

TheBigMediocre

Postby TheBigMediocre » Fri Feb 12, 2010 5:52 am

As the days go by, I'm getting progressively closer to committing to UGA unless Emory comes up huge for me so I'm going to start looking for a place to live next year soon. If anyone is starting to lean towards UGA and will be looking for a roommate/roommates, send me a pm.

Disclaimer: I very well may end up in Atlanta or Nashville, so this is just preliminary.

Pretzel_Logic

Postby Pretzel_Logic » Fri Feb 12, 2010 1:37 pm

Those of you who have gotten a decision either way...how long were you under review before you heard?

My status checker changed today and I'm getting excited. haha. My LSAT makes me primed for the WL, but I'm just gunning to hear SOMETHING from somebody at this point...

eandy

Postby eandy » Fri Feb 12, 2010 1:40 pm

Pretzel_Logic wrote:Those of you who have gotten a decision either way...how long were you under review before you heard?

My status checker changed today and I'm getting excited. haha. My LSAT makes me primed for the WL, but I'm just gunning to hear SOMETHING from somebody at this point...

I think it took about four days, but I feel that some of those were on a weekend.

moviechicka

Postby moviechicka » Fri Feb 12, 2010 2:10 pm

Pretzel_Logic wrote:Those of you who have gotten a decision either way...how long were you under review before you heard?

It took about 6 days after I went complete.

jayare

Postby jayare » Fri Feb 12, 2010 2:22 pm

I just went into review this morning! Sooo excited/nervous.

Question though; I've never received any email from UGA, is this normal?

I found the status checker on my own by setting up a Prospective Student account with my LSAC #, and I got a confirmation for that, but I've never gotten any of the emails other schools seem to send saying my application was received, completed, etc.

kp009

Postby kp009 » Fri Feb 12, 2010 2:25 pm

jayare wrote:I just went into review this morning! Sooo excited/nervous.

Question though; I've never received any email from UGA, is this normal?

I found the status checker on my own by setting up a Prospective Student account with my LSAC #, and I got a confirmation for that, but I've never gotten any of the emails other schools seem to send saying my application was received, completed, etc.

That sounds normal to me, I didn't get an email about being complete with the prospective student site/status checker until the day I was accepted.

missvik218

Postby missvik218 » Sat Feb 13, 2010 12:28 pm

TheBigMediocre wrote:As the days go by, I'm getting progressively closer to committing to UGA unless Emory comes up huge for me so I'm going to start looking for a place to live next year soon. If anyone is starting to lean towards UGA and will be looking for a roommate/roommates, send me a pm.

Disclaimer: I very well may end up in Atlanta or Nashville, so this is just preliminary.

Exactly the same ... except I'm holding out for Vandy/G-town shots in the dark. At this point (for me) I don't think there is anything Emory could/would do that would make it more appealing than UGA for me, even if they accept me I doubt they're going to make a scholarship offer which makes the cost competitive with IS at UGA. I'll wait until the last minute before 4/1/10 though.

People say living "downtown" is the way to go?! If I'm going to poke around on craigslist is that what I would put "downtown"?

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Sat Feb 13, 2010 4:17 pm

missvik218 wrote:
TheBigMediocre wrote:As the days go by, I'm getting progressively closer to committing to UGA unless Emory comes up huge for me so I'm going to start looking for a place to live next year soon. If anyone is starting to lean towards UGA and will be looking for a roommate/roommates, send me a pm.

Exactly the same ... except I'm holding out for Vandy/G-town shots in the dark. At this point (for me) I don't think there is anything Emory could/would do that would make it more appealing than UGA for me, even if they accept me I doubt they're going to make a scholarship offer which makes the cost competitive with IS at UGA. I'll wait until the last minute before 4/1/10 though.

People say living "downtown" is the way to go?! If I'm going to poke around on craigslist is that what I would put "downtown"?

+1. I got into Vandy, but with no money (at least not yet), it's probably not worth it. I'm in at Emory, but even with limited money it may not be worth it unless you want to open more doors outside of the Southeast.

Downtown I guess would be close to the law school, but there are some really low-income/"ghetto" (for lack of a better phrase) neighborhoods around there from what I can see. Five Points is a little farther away, but that area is really nice. I know a couple undergrads who rent houses there. Five points is where the dot is on the map. http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=half+moon+outfitters+athens,+ga&sll=33.939212,-83.385522&sspn=0.033183,0.084543&g=Athens,+Clarke,+Georgia&ie=UTF8&hq=half+moon+outfitters&hnear=Athens,+GA&ll=33.939604,-83.385072&spn=0.007851,0.021136&z=16

07ggfa5

Postby 07ggfa5 » Sat Feb 13, 2010 4:33 pm

How long did it take for you guys to get scholarship info after receiving your letter of acceptance?

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Sat Feb 13, 2010 4:44 pm

07ggfa5 wrote:How long did it take for you guys to get scholarship info after receiving your letter of acceptance?

A little less than a month for me. But if you call the admissions office and tell them when you were accepted, they can tell you when you should expect a monetary decision.

07ggfa5

Postby 07ggfa5 » Sat Feb 13, 2010 5:54 pm

rad law wrote:
07ggfa5 wrote:How long did it take for you guys to get scholarship info after receiving your letter of acceptance?

A little less than a month for me. But if you call the admissions office and tell them when you were accepted, they can tell you when you should expect a monetary decision.

I see, thanks... Hope I can at least get the equalization since i'm oos.

eandy

Postby eandy » Sat Feb 13, 2010 6:09 pm

missvik218 wrote:People say living "downtown" is the way to go?! If I'm going to poke around on craigslist is that what I would put "downtown"?

I have been poking around on Craigslist a lot. One thing that I have noticed is that "downtown" does not necessarily mean downtown ; "walk to UGA" is also usually not anywhere near the North part of campus where the law school is. I keep google maps open in the next tab with the law library address typed in so I can figure out how far I would actually be walking. Even if it is a little more "ghetto" near the law school, walking to school is important to me. I will pay a little more to get a nice place if I can walk.

Edit: For those interested, I was accepted on Monday and I got a big letter and decal in one envelope and a little letter in a skinny envelope yesterday.
Last edited by eandy on Sat Feb 13, 2010 6:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Neil

Postby Neil » Sat Feb 13, 2010 6:10 pm

Still no scholarship here, and my acceptance letter said I'd hear by Feb 15th if I'm going to get one. Starting to worry... :(

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”