Univ of Georgia

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
d-cannon

Re: Univ of Georgia

Postby d-cannon » Tue Jan 05, 2010 12:20 am

the lantern wrote:
d-cannon wrote:File complete 12/9...

... thinking I would not get a decision so quickly, I did not check online, but received the acceptance letter and window decal yesterday.

Are you a GA resident? We have similar numbers but I've been under review for longer :(

Sorry for the pause. I have not been in this thread for a couple of weeks. No, I am not in-state. I did have a memorable meeting with admissions back in November... Maybe that played a part? Good luck!

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Tue Jan 05, 2010 12:53 am

I applied out of state with 167 (Sept.)/168 (Dec.)/3.75. My file isn't complete yet, as Dec. scores were just officially released today. I would love to go to UGA, but I really need a tuition equalization scholarship. Can any current students on here tell me if I have a decent shot at one?

atlantalaw

Postby atlantalaw » Tue Jan 05, 2010 1:09 am

rad law wrote:I applied out of state with 167 (Sept.)/168 (Dec.)/3.75. My file isn't complete yet, as Dec. scores were just officially released today. I would love to go to UGA, but I really need a tuition equalization scholarship. Can any current students on here tell me if I have a decent shot at one?

very, very good shot. uga will eat up your lsat score. i'd be surprised if you didn't get one. see you next year!

the lantern

Postby the lantern » Tue Jan 05, 2010 8:45 am

Does anyone know how the class of 2009 has fared as far as employment goes? They have the 2008 profile on their site and it seems encouraging (100% reporting, high amount of people employed in law firms, etc.). I'm just having second thoughts and beginning to weigh non-law options against law school, so I'm just trying to get as much information as possible. Thanks.

peyso

Postby peyso » Tue Jan 05, 2010 12:54 pm

I've been "File reviewed. Held for further review." since 11/10. I know its better than a ding but should I be optimistic?

jerzgrl630

Postby jerzgrl630 » Tue Jan 05, 2010 1:16 pm

peyso wrote:I've been "File reviewed. Held for further review." since 11/10. I know its better than a ding but should I be optimistic?

At some point, someone mentioned that they did this to people with lower LSATs who they still wanted to admit but were waiting on until after the holidays. I have no idea how this person knew that and I certainly don't know if it's true so take it with a grain of salt, but I'd remain optimistic. If they wanted to reject you they would have the first time around. I'm in the same position and I'm remaining hopeful. I just wonder when we'll go back into review.

fulkersonr1

Postby fulkersonr1 » Tue Jan 05, 2010 1:21 pm

UGA seems to have super quick turnarounds for everyone but me, in review since 12/02 maybe before I think that might be second in review date I have had. Hope they are not hating my GPA too much.

mytwocents

Postby mytwocents » Tue Jan 05, 2010 2:01 pm

jerzgrl630 wrote:
peyso wrote:I've been "File reviewed. Held for further review." since 11/10. I know its better than a ding but should I be optimistic?

At some point, someone mentioned that they did this to people with lower LSATs who they still wanted to admit but were waiting on until after the holidays. I have no idea how this person knew that and I certainly don't know if it's true so take it with a grain of salt, but I'd remain optimistic. If they wanted to reject you they would have the first time around. I'm in the same position and I'm remaining hopeful. I just wonder when we'll go back into review.

I'm really hoping this is true. I've been "held" at UGA since mid-November with a 163/3.74...I have a hard time believing I'd get flat out rejected, especially being just one point lower than their "cut off". Waitlisted maybe, but I don't think I have auto-reject numbers for UGA.

LiveFree

Postby LiveFree » Tue Jan 05, 2010 2:07 pm

mytwocents wrote:
jerzgrl630 wrote:

I'm really hoping this is true. I've been "held" at UGA since mid-November with a 163/3.74...I have a hard time believing I'd get flat out rejected, especially being just one point lower than their "cut off". Waitlisted maybe, but I don't think I have auto-reject numbers for UGA.

Why have people come to believe that 164 is the "cut-off." 164 is the listed median. How can it be the cut-off, as well?

peyso

Postby peyso » Tue Jan 05, 2010 2:19 pm

ntzsch wrote:
aschleic wrote:
mytwocents wrote:
jerzgrl630 wrote:

Why have people come to believe that 164 is the "cut-off." 164 is the listed median. How can it be the cut-off, as well?

http://georgia.lawschoolnumbers.com/stats

164 has been a pretty strong cutoff so far, but as the cycle continues, i think a lot more high gpa's, ppl with softs, etc, will start getting in more frequently.

I'm a 166/2.7/Ivy/URM. I thought they would have been able to reach a decision, whether good, bad or other, by now

robin600

Postby robin600 » Tue Jan 05, 2010 2:43 pm

I just got the email today asking me to register for the status checker thing. I applied 6 weeks ago, wtf UGA?!?!

mytwocents

Postby mytwocents » Tue Jan 05, 2010 2:52 pm

aschleic wrote:
mytwocents wrote:
jerzgrl630 wrote:

I meant it as a cut off for those recently accepted...it seemed like no one was getting in with less than a 164. I didn't mean it as they'll NEVER admit someone with <164 :)

peyso

Postby peyso » Tue Jan 05, 2010 5:04 pm

ntzsch wrote:
peyso wrote:I'm a 166/2.7/Ivy/URM. I thought they would have been able to reach a decision, whether good, bad or other, by now

i like your chances a lot. when did you apply? i bet the quick turn-round time went down with the X-Mas back-log and the fact that most candidates apply about this time.

I've had this status since 11/10. I was complete around 10/2

hchouga

Postby hchouga » Wed Jan 06, 2010 5:53 am

I applied through lsac on Jan. 2nd and haven't heard anything yet. Did you guys after submitting online have to do anything to get the status checker?? (send the letter) My numbers are 165/3.3. Should i be worried about getting accepted?

crombot

Postby crombot » Wed Jan 06, 2010 10:10 am

hchouga wrote:I applied through lsac on Jan. 2nd and haven't heard anything yet. Did you guys after submitting online have to do anything to get the status checker?? (send the letter) My numbers are 165/3.3. Should i be worried about getting accepted?

Jan 2 and you are worried about hearing back? Chill out newb! :)

If you don't hear anything in a few weeks, give the admissions committee a call. FWIW, I applied 10/29 and got status checker login on 11/10.

Good luck.

msbeautifulbasham

Postby msbeautifulbasham » Wed Jan 06, 2010 3:18 pm

Held for further review. I never submitted a why Georgia or a Diversity statement. Do you think I should send these as part of an LOCI. I have gotten really excited about Georgia since I submitted my app, and I think my app doesn't reflect that. Do you think I should send them something?

missvik218

Postby missvik218 » Wed Jan 06, 2010 3:38 pm

msbeautifulbasham wrote:Held for further review. I never submitted a why Georgia or a Diversity statement. Do you think I should send these as part of an LOCI. I have gotten really excited about Georgia since I submitted my app, and I think my app doesn't reflect that. Do you think I should send them something?

Does that mean like being WLd?! I guess if it does, I'd send something if you're really interested in the school and feel like your initial application doesn't express that. What are your numbers if you don't mind my asking?

TTH

Postby TTH » Wed Jan 06, 2010 8:47 pm

In today via status checker! VICTORY!

3.22/166 no-URM applied 12/14.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Wed Jan 06, 2010 8:54 pm

I took the Dec. LSAT. My file is still incomplete. Is this the same for other Dec. LSAT takers out there?

Nicholasnickynic

Postby Nicholasnickynic » Wed Jan 06, 2010 11:11 pm

"I'm really hoping this is true. I've been "held" at UGA since mid-November with a 163/3.74...I have a hard time believing I'd get flat out rejected, especially being just one point lower than their "cut off". Waitlisted maybe, but I don't think I have auto-reject numbers for UGA."

Not to be a jack ass... but if your below thier cut off... doesn't that mean you don't make the cut?

mytwocents

Postby mytwocents » Wed Jan 06, 2010 11:53 pm

Nicholasnickynic wrote:"I'm really hoping this is true. I've been "held" at UGA since mid-November with a 163/3.74...I have a hard time believing I'd get flat out rejected, especially being just one point lower than their "cut off". Waitlisted maybe, but I don't think I have auto-reject numbers for UGA."

Not to be a jack ass... but if your below thier cut off... doesn't that mean you don't make the cut?

Haha, well yeah. But apparently, it's not their final cut off...it's not like they would NEVER take sub-164. Someone early mentioned that the "helds" usually fare better after the holidays, so I guess they're just getting some of their auto-admits in first? Or at least I'll say that to make myself feel a little more at ease.. :)

aguyingeorgia

Postby aguyingeorgia » Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:00 am

I wouldn't stress on this. UGA is often slow. SLOW. VERY SLOW. Even if you are above their 75% on all angles, the office is slow. The system is slow. SLOW.

Hang in there. Good luck.

aguyingeorgia

Postby aguyingeorgia » Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:10 am

Not to be a "I know a lot more about this than you", but I know a lot more about this than you. :) No offense.

Hang in there, be patient. Also, look at the past numbers over the years. 164 is a bit of a stretch over some of their typical apps.

ALSO, be aware of the heavy favortism showed towards in-state students (there is an actual requirement in terms of numbers they are supposed to shoot for). Sometimes people with solid numbers are put on hold as they consider how the in-state numbers will shake out.

Good luck.

lawhawk

Postby lawhawk » Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:43 am

ntzsch wrote:not 100% you were refering to me. but i got into UGA (much to my elation!) 5 days after going complete. everyone else i know who got in (ie, everyone ITT) with 164+ and 3.0+ has had a similar turn around, regardless of in-state status (i was OOS).

You got in today?

TTH

Postby TTH » Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:52 am

lawhawk wrote:
ntzsch wrote:not 100% you were refering to me. but i got into UGA (much to my elation!) 5 days after going complete. everyone else i know who got in (ie, everyone ITT) with 164+ and 3.0+ has had a similar turn around, regardless of in-state status (i was OOS).

You got in today?

I did. ^_^

I'm not entirely sure when I went complete because I was slow signing up for the status checker, but I only sent my app in like three weeks ago. I applaud their efficiency.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”