Univ of Georgia

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
TheBigMediocre

Re: Univ of Georgia

Postby TheBigMediocre » Tue Dec 08, 2009 5:34 pm

--ImageRemoved--

Uga says to quit brown nosing Duke in the UGA thread lest you make him mad!

missvik218

Postby missvik218 » Tue Dec 08, 2009 5:39 pm

Hahaha, ok sorry sorry. GO DAWGS!!!

jlue05

Postby jlue05 » Tue Dec 08, 2009 5:44 pm

TheBigMediocre wrote:--ImageRemoved--

Uga says to quit brown nosing Duke in the UGA thread lest you make him mad!

There are bigger things for Uga to worry about...

--ImageRemoved--

TheBigMediocre

Postby TheBigMediocre » Tue Dec 08, 2009 6:01 pm

You're right, UF can be scary...

--ImageRemoved--
--ImageRemoved--

But Uga is prepared:

--ImageRemoved--

the lantern

Postby the lantern » Wed Dec 09, 2009 10:33 am

oh my goodness I am so excited. My application was received this morning and I just happened to be right there when the email popped up. I registered and it said "file awaiting committee review" or something like that. I just checked it a few minutes ago and it changed to "under review!!!"

likeaspark

Postby likeaspark » Wed Dec 09, 2009 11:55 am

Mine also went under review as of this morning. Good luck!

the lantern

Postby the lantern » Wed Dec 09, 2009 1:09 pm

likeaspark wrote:Mine also went under review as of this morning. Good luck!

haha you tooo :D Georgia is my #1 choice and I would have so much off of my mind if I were to get in !

likeaspark

Postby likeaspark » Wed Dec 09, 2009 1:28 pm

Also, if anyone has questions about life in Athens, I'd be more than happy to answer what I can! I live in Athens now, and I went to UGA for undergrad.

eschilli

Postby eschilli » Thu Dec 10, 2009 3:34 am

ntzsch wrote:
DentMyers wrote:164/3.12/UGA undergrad. Under Review. I hope that 164 line from LSN last year holds up!

haha, yea, I'm diggin the 164 line myself.

I'm middle class white and I got in today to UGA w/ a 3.6 and 164.You could have a shot.

the lantern

Postby the lantern » Thu Dec 10, 2009 2:52 pm

likeaspark wrote:Also, if anyone has questions about life in Athens, I'd be more than happy to answer what I can! I live in Athens now, and I went to UGA for undergrad.

I've lived in a hick, rural town in Ohio pretty much my whole life and the people here are ultra-conservative and very racist, but I am afraid it might be worse in the South. Could you please let me know if life would be uncomfortable for an atheist, liberal (classical, not modern) 25 year old guy? I'm cool with people who have other opinions (I go to a conservative university and I am from a fundamentalist Christian background) but I am wary of spending three years somewhere I might feel uncomfortable. I am sure I am just exaggerating, but I just wanted to ask someone so that I don't set my hopes on going to UGA and then find out it is a training ground for fundamentalist Baptists or something. Thanks. Also, is Athens a college town or is there more to it than that? The reason why I ask is because I like going out and having a good time, but I don't like to be jam packed into bars with 999999 20 year old frat bros and sorority girls. I'm sure I'll do that once in awhile, but I really have grown out of that phase. Are there places where people can act like adults and chill out, have a beer, maybe watch a soccer match, etc? I went to a school in a very small college town with ~16k students and about 30 bars, and pretty much every single one was packed to the walls almost every night. The restaurants were the same. We had one movie theater that was sold out pretty much every time a movie came in that was good. Is Athens a little bigger than that? Thank you :)

Also to people who have received decisions: will they email me when a decision has been reached or do I need to keep checking the status checker? I went under view yesterday and I was just wondering. Thanks!

OMG IDK TITCR

Postby OMG IDK TITCR » Thu Dec 10, 2009 2:58 pm

the lantern wrote:
likeaspark wrote:Also, if anyone has questions about life in Athens, I'd be more than happy to answer what I can! I live in Athens now, and I went to UGA for undergrad.

I've lived in a hick, rural town in Ohio pretty much my whole life and the people here are ultra-conservative and very racist, but I am afraid it might be worse in the South. Could you please let me know if life would be uncomfortable for an atheist, liberal (classical, not modern) 25 year old guy? I'm cool with people who have other opinions (I go to a conservative university and I am from a fundamentalist Christian background) but I am wary of spending three years somewhere I might feel uncomfortable. I am sure I am just exaggerating, but I just wanted to ask someone so that I don't set my hopes on going to UGA and then find out it is a training ground for fundamentalist Baptists or something. Thanks. Also, is Athens a college town or is there more to it than that? The reason why I ask is because I like going out and having a good time, but I don't like to be jam packed into bars with 999999 20 year old frat bros and sorority girls. I'm sure I'll do that once in awhile, but I really have grown out of that phase. Are there places where people can act like adults and chill out, have a beer, maybe watch a soccer match, etc? I went to a school in a very small college town with ~16k students and about 30 bars, and pretty much every single one was packed to the walls almost every night. The restaurants were the same. We had one movie theater that was sold out pretty much every time a movie came in that was good. Is Athens a little bigger than that? Thank you :)

Also to people who have received decisions: will they email me when a decision has been reached or do I need to keep checking the status checker? I went under view yesterday and I was just wondering. Thanks!

Also interested in above questions.

As for the last question-- I have only heard I was accepted through status checker, no e-mail. Have heard I will also get something in the mail, but it hasn't made its way to New York yet...

bluedevil8845

Postby bluedevil8845 » Thu Dec 10, 2009 3:56 pm

Athens has a very wide variety of people. It is in the south, but it's still a college town, so you would not feel at all out of place with your views. I tend to (unfairly) think of other southern and SEC schools in the same way that you do, but UGA is definitely not a training ground for fundamentalist Christians. That's not to say that there aren't plenty of religious students on campus, but the ones I know are friendly and (relatively) open minded.

Athens is the quintessential college town, with tons of bars, restaurants, and live music venues (all within a 5 block X 5 block area in downtown athens, which is located across the street from the law school and North Campus). There certainly is no lack of frat/sorority bars, but I'd venture to say that there are over 50 bars in the downtown area, so finding bars that suit your tastes and needs shouldn't be difficult. There are some sports bars, and a new Irish pub that frequently shows rugby and soccer matches. It sounds like Athens might be somewhat similar to your old college town, but it definitely has more to offer than just bars packed to the gills. There are a few movie theaters, and some play/musical venues as well.

Hope this helps,
Blue "Brevity is not my middle name" Devil

Edit: forgot to respond to your other question. I did not receive a congratulatory email. I got the news via status checker the day the decision was made. A few days later I received a congratulatory letter via snailmail, and then a different one a week or so after the first letter.

I too am starting to grow out of my undergrad phase, but it'll be hard for another school to beat UGA in terms of education and quality/cost of living. Ultimately I plan to practice in DC, so going to school in DC/VA might be more helpful to me. Having said that (Larry David, anyone?), spending 3 of the most rigorous and intense years of my life (until I'm actually a lawyer) in a fun and lively (yet relaxing) city like Athens would be great. From what I've heard from the 1L and 2Ls that I know, Georgia Law is full of very bright, talented, and driven students. While they are somewhat competitive by nature, there is an overwhelming air of collegiality and respect amongst the student body. Law school will be stressful enough, so it's nice to know that other students aren't out to get you.

TheBigMediocre

Postby TheBigMediocre » Thu Dec 10, 2009 4:38 pm

Athens is great. I am in UG in Ohio as well and fell in love when I visited the law school and town last semester. I will admit that the "greek atmosphere" definitely plays up to my interests because of my personality and background, but there is no reason to not love Athens if that isn't your cup of tea.

The students I talked to when I sat in the law classes were extremely collegial and friendly. They talked about taking notes for each other when someone has to miss and it sounds like they have a lot of fun together at events outside of the law school. "Bar review" in particular is a way to bond with other law students as they pick a bar each week to hit and meet up to socialize.

OMG IDK TITCR

Postby OMG IDK TITCR » Thu Dec 10, 2009 5:01 pm

Thanks for shedding some light on Athens, guys. Just got my letter from UGA in the mail today-- sounds like a great education that can be had on the CHEAP. Residency after a year brings the price way down. With a little scholarship help this will definitely be high on my list...

TheBigMediocre

Postby TheBigMediocre » Thu Dec 10, 2009 5:16 pm

OMG IDK TITCR wrote:Thanks for shedding some light on Athens, guys. Just got my letter from UGA in the mail today-- sounds like a great education that can be had on the CHEAP. Residency after a year brings the price way down. With a little scholarship help this will definitely be high on my list...

Not to mention, Athens is a great town to go out in (if you find the time during law school). You can find bars playing anything from outlaw country to dance music.

victorhugo

Postby victorhugo » Thu Dec 10, 2009 5:20 pm

accepted at georgia today 164/3.68. notified by mail. hope this makes the 164 people feel better.

OMG IDK TITCR

Postby OMG IDK TITCR » Thu Dec 10, 2009 5:33 pm

TheBigMediocre wrote:
OMG IDK TITCR wrote:Thanks for shedding some light on Athens, guys. Just got my letter from UGA in the mail today-- sounds like a great education that can be had on the CHEAP. Residency after a year brings the price way down. With a little scholarship help this will definitely be high on my list...

Not to mention, Athens is a great town to go out in (if you find the time during law school). You can find bars playing anything from outlaw country to dance music.

Yeah, I've liked what I've heard about Athens so far. When I'm in law school I'll be old by college town standards, but I'm sure there are enough graduate programs that I won't be alone. I like a good mix of bars, anyways.

Congrats, victorhugo!

likeaspark

Postby likeaspark » Thu Dec 10, 2009 6:54 pm

the lantern wrote:

Let me first start by saying, I LOVE Athens. I went here for undergrad, moved away for a year, and had to come back because I just couldn't stand being away. I was born and raised in the South, but I am also not, by any stretch, your characteristic, conservative, Bible-beating Southerner. I am liberal, artistic, and enjoy the company of intelligent, open-minded friends. Athens has been a haven for me.

That being said, Athens is a strange world of contradictory juxtapositions. To name a few: There is a huge amount of old-world money flowing through the University and its students, but Athens-Clarke county is one of the poorest counties in the state (see http://www.prosperousathens.org/about-ppa).

The Greek system abounds - so yes, there are TONS of bars jammed pack with "frat bros and sorority girls" on any given night of the week, but there is also a lesser known (but just as strong, if not stronger) side of town that caters perfectly to the more indie, adult, grad student crowd. Trapezze, the imported "craft" beer pub, is always a winner, and you can never go wrong with the Blenheim's spicy ginger ale + Maker's Mark at Manhattan. I've had my hand in both of these pots.....it's been years since I've been part of the aforementioned Greek scene, but I'm not ashamed to say I've been there.

The art and music scene is HUGE in Athens....sorry bluedevil8845, there are definitely more than "just a few" theaters and venues around town. It's an epicenter of music - R.E.M and the B-52s call this home, as well as countless other well-known and up and coming bands. I see Michael Stipe around town on a weekly basis, and live across from some of the guys in Of Montreal. Major acts come through all the time. I can think of 6 awesome venues off the top of my head, and there are shows happening literally every single night.

For the cinephiles out there, Cine (bar/cafe/cinema) is a great independent movie theater on the edge of downtown, and a couple of nights a week they pair up with The National (next door) for a dinner and a movie combo. Love it.

There are art galleries, shows, awesome karoake nights, amazing restaurants, crazy dance parties (hello, Krush Girls!), cozy coffee shops all over the place, farmers markets, co-ops, anything your heart could desire in Athens.

Hundreds of people go through their entire extent of time at UGA and never see anything of this more adult, more progressive, and less blackout drunk side of the city - which is fine, not everyone would love this aspect of Athens as much as I do. The beauty of this town is that it's all here, so you make of it what you want. So yes, Athens is your typical college town, but so, so much more.

DentMyers

Postby DentMyers » Thu Dec 10, 2009 7:01 pm

eschilli wrote:
ntzsch wrote:
DentMyers wrote:164/3.12/UGA undergrad. Under Review. I hope that 164 line from LSN last year holds up!

haha, yea, I'm diggin the 164 line myself.

I'm middle class white and I got in today to UGA w/ a 3.6 and 164.You could have a shot.

Got in in mid november!

robin600

Postby robin600 » Thu Dec 10, 2009 7:14 pm

Any chance with a 163/3.65 out of state?

the lantern

Postby the lantern » Thu Dec 10, 2009 7:46 pm

likeaspark wrote:
the lantern wrote:

Let me first start by saying, I LOVE Athens. I went here for undergrad, moved away for a year, and had to come back because I just couldn't stand being away. I was born and raised in the South, but I am also not, by any stretch, your characteristic, conservative, Bible-beating Southerner. I am liberal, artistic, and enjoy the company of intelligent, open-minded friends. Athens has been a haven for me.

That being said, Athens is a strange world of contradictory juxtapositions. To name a few: There is a huge amount of old-world money flowing through the University and its students, but Athens-Clarke county is one of the poorest counties in the state (see http://www.prosperousathens.org/about-ppa).

The Greek system abounds - so yes, there are TONS of bars jammed pack with "frat bros and sorority girls" on any given night of the week, but there is also a lesser known (but just as strong, if not stronger) side of town that caters perfectly to the more indie, adult, grad student crowd. Trapezze, the imported "craft" beer pub, is always a winner, and you can never go wrong with the Blenheim's spicy ginger ale + Maker's Mark at Manhattan. I've had my hand in both of these pots.....it's been years since I've been part of the aforementioned Greek scene, but I'm not ashamed to say I've been there.

The art and music scene is HUGE in Athens....sorry bluedevil8845, there are definitely more than "just a few" theaters and venues around town. It's an epicenter of music - R.E.M and the B-52s call this home, as well as countless other well-known and up and coming bands. I see Michael Stipe around town on a weekly basis, and live across from some of the guys in Of Montreal. Major acts come through all the time. I can think of 6 awesome venues off the top of my head, and there are shows happening literally every single night.

For the cinephiles out there, Cine (bar/cafe/cinema) is a great independent movie theater on the edge of downtown, and a couple of nights a week they pair up with The National (next door) for a dinner and a movie combo. Love it.

There are art galleries, shows, awesome karoake nights, amazing restaurants, crazy dance parties (hello, Krush Girls!), cozy coffee shops all over the place, farmers markets, co-ops, anything your heart could desire in Athens.

Hundreds of people go through their entire extent of time at UGA and never see anything of this more adult, more progressive, and less blackout drunk side of the city - which is fine, not everyone would love this aspect of Athens as much as I do. The beauty of this town is that it's all here, so you make of it what you want. So yes, Athens is your typical college town, but so, so much more.

I was Greek in UG too, so I'm not anti-Greek, I just think I'm a little old to be chatting up 20 year old chicks every night in some sweaty night club. Athens sounds amazing.. I've been under review for 2 days come on UGA!!!

the lantern

Postby the lantern » Fri Dec 11, 2009 4:29 pm

Ugh, been "in review" since 12/9, I know it is only two days but I can't help but be like I am going to be the first guy over 164 to get rejected. :(

eschilli

Postby eschilli » Sat Dec 12, 2009 12:12 am

victorhugo wrote:accepted at georgia today 164/3.68. notified by mail. hope this makes the 164 people feel better.

I got in with a 164 3.6 too.

likeaspark

Postby likeaspark » Sat Dec 12, 2009 12:01 pm

the lantern wrote:Ugh, been "in review" since 12/9, I know it is only two days but I can't help but be like I am going to be the first guy over 164 to get rejected. :(

I've been under review since 12/9 too, with a 171 and 3.74. Still can't help but feel jittery.

Neil

Postby Neil » Sat Dec 12, 2009 12:19 pm

likeaspark wrote:
the lantern wrote:Ugh, been "in review" since 12/9, I know it is only two days but I can't help but be like I am going to be the first guy over 164 to get rejected. :(

I've been under review since 12/9 too, with a 171 and 3.74. Still can't help but feel jittery.

I was in review a few days before being accepted. I wouldn't read too much into it. Good luck!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”