Univ of Georgia

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
bissey

Re: Univ of Georgia

Postby bissey » Fri Nov 13, 2009 4:55 pm

sufjan wrote:
bissey wrote:if anybody needs info on UGA- living, nightlife, people, campus- i'd be happy to answer. been here for 3.5 years.

how's the living, nightlife, people, campus?

lol. well, its a small town. basically just students. there are probably more than 20 bars. lots of places to eat. downtown is usually packed thursday-saturday... nightlife is great. COL is very cheap. im currently paying 275$+utilities at a 3br/3ba townhouse. of course, you can go high end but i like where i live (~2 minutes from campus w/car.) I would say car is a must, but people get by without one. people: it varies. there are about 30,000 students so you can have your pick. campus around the law school is very nice. law school building is about a 2 minute walk to downtown. i'm not a big fan of the rest of campus, but it is a huge campus. outdoor activities: kayaking, fishing, camping. botanical gardens are really nice. mayfield ice cream factory is a cool attraction...haha. ATL is about a 1.5 hour drive.

thats all i can think of for now.

bissey

Postby bissey » Fri Nov 13, 2009 5:07 pm

ntzsch wrote:In at UGA!

with a 2.1/180, you can do better :D

congrats.

UFMatt

Postby UFMatt » Fri Nov 13, 2009 5:10 pm

bissey wrote:

congrats.

2.1/180? Biggest splitter I can recall!

bissey

Postby bissey » Fri Nov 13, 2009 5:12 pm

UFMatt wrote:
bissey wrote:

congrats.

fake stats :)

UFMatt

Postby UFMatt » Fri Nov 13, 2009 6:03 pm

bissey wrote:
UFMatt wrote:
bissey wrote:

congrats.

fake stats :)

:) Mystery solved.

rocross1

Postby rocross1 » Fri Nov 13, 2009 6:12 pm

Eazy E wrote:
rocross1 wrote:Check your status checker AMIGOS, because I just got admitted to UGA. ND is my top choice, but its been a couple, of weeks since I heard from W&M and it is nice to hear from anyone. I can't wait to get the letter and see if it says anything about scholly info.

Congrats! When do you apply/go complete?

I applied with a 166 3.98 mid to late september and think I was complete like Oct 2.

cake

Postby cake » Fri Nov 13, 2009 7:54 pm

bissey wrote:
sufjan wrote:
bissey wrote:if anybody needs info on UGA- living, nightlife, people, campus- i'd be happy to answer. been here for 3.5 years.

lol. well, its a small town. basically just students. there are probably more than 20 bars. lots of places to eat. downtown is usually packed thursday-saturday... nightlife is great. COL is very cheap. im currently paying 275$+utilities at a 3br/3ba townhouse. of course, you can go high end but i like where i live (~2 minutes from campus w/car.) I would say car is a must, but people get by without one. people: it varies. there are about 30,000 students so you can have your pick. campus around the law school is very nice. law school building is about a 2 minute walk to downtown. i'm not a big fan of the rest of campus, but it is a huge campus. outdoor activities: kayaking, fishing, camping. botanical gardens are really nice. mayfield ice cream factory is a cool attraction...haha. ATL is about a 1.5 hour drive.

Nightlife? It's Friday night and I'm rocking my open memo...

Miltiades

Postby Miltiades » Fri Nov 13, 2009 9:40 pm

I got accepted today. It is the first one to accept me via status checker alone.

jennylynn

Postby jennylynn » Fri Nov 13, 2009 9:44 pm

cake wrote:Nightlife? It's Friday night and I'm rocking my open memo...

wooo open memo
Screw you, attractive nuisance. :wink:

In case this tips the scales for any of you, you can now officially get your passport on the UGA campus. lol

JIP3

Postby JIP3 » Fri Nov 13, 2009 10:55 pm

Also in at UGA! Notified later in the day too (via status checker), I was surprised... but this is my first acceptance so maybe it's not all that strange.

High on my list

starrydecisus

Postby starrydecisus » Sat Nov 14, 2009 10:34 am

In at UGA! 168/4.0. Complete Oct. 27

TruckerD

Postby TruckerD » Sat Nov 14, 2009 12:30 pm

Congrats! :D

starrydecisus

Postby starrydecisus » Sat Nov 14, 2009 5:28 pm

Thanks, Trucker! Congrats to you too. Looks like we applied to a lot of the same schools.

jbing21

Postby jbing21 » Sun Nov 15, 2009 10:31 am

Hey quick question, when does UGA offer financial aid/scholly info? Do you think I would have a chance at some with a 165/3.22 (I got accepted a few days ago).
Thanks

pearl_earrings

Postby pearl_earrings » Sun Nov 15, 2009 11:44 am

In at UGA!!!

TruckerD

Postby TruckerD » Sun Nov 15, 2009 11:50 am

jbing21 wrote:Hey quick question, when does UGA offer financial aid/scholly info? Do you think I would have a chance at some with a 165/3.22 (I got accepted a few days ago).
Thanks

I checked the archives, and last year scholarship information started coming out in December.

atlantalaw

Postby atlantalaw » Sun Nov 15, 2009 2:40 pm

congrats to all the accepted and good luck to those waiting to find out!

- another 1L at uga willing to answer questions.

TruckerD

Postby TruckerD » Sun Nov 15, 2009 2:46 pm

TruckerD wrote:
jbing21 wrote:Hey quick question, when does UGA offer financial aid/scholly info? Do you think I would have a chance at some with a 165/3.22 (I got accepted a few days ago).
Thanks

I checked the archives, and last year scholarship information started coming out in December.

did the scholly stuff come with the snail mail package or will that come sooner?[/quote]

I don't know if they will do it the same this year, but last year, people received phone calls about the scholarship info, after they received the snail mail.

atlantalaw

Postby atlantalaw » Sun Nov 15, 2009 2:46 pm

cake wrote:
bissey wrote:
sufjan wrote:

Nightlife? It's Friday night and I'm rocking my open memo...

definitely won't have time as a 1L to enjoy...anything. except maybe the restaurants (gotta eat sometime). if you are a slacker, you might be able to do some fun things towards the beginning of the semester when you won't have to be outlining over the weekend. i say slacker because you could be reading ahead at that time to prepare for the time crunch at the end of the semester (can't say i did this, but i wish i had).
one thing you should take advantage of as a 1L anywhere is the gym. uga's is ok.

LSATfromNC

Postby LSATfromNC » Sun Nov 15, 2009 3:15 pm

atlantalaw wrote:congrats to all the accepted and good luck to those waiting to find out!

What 3 schools did you consider the most, and why did UGA win out?

atlantalaw

Postby atlantalaw » Sun Nov 15, 2009 5:07 pm

LSATfromNC wrote:
atlantalaw wrote:congrats to all the accepted and good luck to those waiting to find out!

What 3 schools did you consider the most, and why did UGA win out?

FSU, UF, and UGA.

I considered these 3 because they offered me in-state tuition, which is ridiculously cheaper than any other tuition rates I saw for any other law school (not just for the quality of these schools, just lowest tuition around). FSU offered me a large scholarship on top of in-state tuition (almost free).
I want to practice in the Atlanta area, but I haven't ruled out practicing in Florida (Orlando area, probably).
I went to undergrad at UGA - this was a plus and a minus. Generally, people love college towns. I don't. Tally is a great city and FSU has a major advantage for summer internships because the campus is in the state capital. Athens and Gainesville are both college towns. Also, I know this is weird but I don't like football and having to work my Saturday plans around football really irks me.
UGA is the most prestigious of the 3 but UF has a fantastic alumni network.
I heard negative things about UF so it made me feel like I was gambling a bit if I chose UF.
I heard positive things about FSU and it was the cheapest.
I heard positive things about UGA, I'd like to end up in Atlanta and I was used to the area (again, plus and minus since I didn't want to have to acclimate to a new city but I dislike Athens). I have to say though, Athens as an undergrad and Athens as a law student is entirely different. Mostly because I never have any time to do anything except study, work out, and eat. It really wouldn't matter if I were in NYC or Athens at this point.

In short, I want to practice in GA and I get in-state tuition at UGA; it is too good of an offer to pass up. I definitely feel I made the right choice. Picking a law school is a very personal choice, and what I considered was cost, area, and future goals. The quality of the education at UGA is outstanding (obviously, can't speak for any other law school since I haven't attended any other institution), and I feel that if I take advantage of the opportunities at UGA then I will have a very bright future.

bighead715

Postby bighead715 » Sun Nov 15, 2009 5:14 pm

Do they place into the DC market at all?

Do they have a strong alumni network?

atlantalaw

Postby atlantalaw » Sun Nov 15, 2009 5:22 pm

bighead715 wrote:Do they place into the DC market at all?

Do they have a strong alumni network?

At all? Yes, UGA claims that DC has its largest outside placement, I think. I don't know an exact figure off hand. Personally, I wouldn't attend UGA with the objective of ending up in DC, but UGA probably wouldn't be the worst choice.

The alumni network is strong from what I know (but I'm just a 1L so I haven't had a chance to experience it firsthand yet). People love the bulldawgs, so they love UGA. Many GA firms love to sponsor UGA law events, so I imagine it stems from some people high up who went to UGA law and love UGA law.

bighead715

Postby bighead715 » Sun Nov 15, 2009 5:48 pm

thanks for the info!

i got in there as a safety and I'd like to end up in the public sector in DC. I am very debt averse!

bluedevil8845

Postby bluedevil8845 » Sun Nov 15, 2009 6:20 pm

Do they place into the DC market at all?

I too would like to practice in DC after graduating, but I've recently decided that I would still be very happy in Atlanta with my friends and family. I met with someone from UGA admissions over the summer, and asked about UGA's DC placement. She told me that after Atlanta and the state of GA, DC is their largest placement city. This is true, but the numbers aren't as great as I would like: http://www.law.uga.edu/class-2008.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”