Univ of Georgia Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Grizz

Diamond

Re: Univ of Georgia

Post by Grizz » Wed Feb 17, 2010 12:32 pm

As of now, I'm planning on being at Alston & Bird for the reception.

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Wed Feb 17, 2010 12:33 pm

bonnieblue wrote:yep, count me in too
Almost definitely going that day as well.

dhatfie1

Bronze

Post by dhatfie1 » Wed Feb 17, 2010 3:20 pm

algren wrote:
dhatfie1 wrote:
PJC wrote:I'm an URM with a 164 and significant softs - and I was held for further review. How shitty must my app have been?
Same boat, except I'm a non-URM..I just think it's a case of we applied late, although I had a very good explanation of why I applied later in the cycle. Does this essentially just mean "waitlist" in other words?
164 not URM here in the same boat.

My understanding is that it's not technically a waitlist. It's just that UGA wants to recieve a full applicant pool before deciding if we're acceptable. I don't really blame them either... with apps up all over the place, its kind of an unsure environment for law schools and it will be interesting to see how everything shakes out when all is said and done. I wonder if medians will significantly shift in some places and stay the same in others....
So I called Georgia and they said it's not a "waitlist" and we will have a decision anywhere from now until April 1st (which blows), but it's still better than having to wait until July or something. Have fun at A & B everybody who's going, wish they allowed "held" students to join lol.

shawty18ga

Bronze

Post by shawty18ga » Wed Feb 17, 2010 3:22 pm

Killacam18 wrote:I'll be there as well. Anyone going to the reception at Alston & Bird on 3/4?

I really wish I could go, but I have class that night and it's a class that only meets once a week and the professor will kill my grade if I don't show up. I'll be at the admitted students open house, though.

bluedevil8845

New

Post by bluedevil8845 » Wed Feb 17, 2010 3:40 pm

I'll be at both.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

algren

Bronze

Post by algren » Wed Feb 17, 2010 3:43 pm

dhatfie1 wrote:
algren wrote:
dhatfie1 wrote:
PJC wrote:I'm an URM with a 164 and significant softs - and I was held for further review. How shitty must my app have been?
Same boat, except I'm a non-URM..I just think it's a case of we applied late, although I had a very good explanation of why I applied later in the cycle. Does this essentially just mean "waitlist" in other words?
164 not URM here in the same boat.

My understanding is that it's not technically a waitlist. It's just that UGA wants to recieve a full applicant pool before deciding if we're acceptable. I don't really blame them either... with apps up all over the place, its kind of an unsure environment for law schools and it will be interesting to see how everything shakes out when all is said and done. I wonder if medians will significantly shift in some places and stay the same in others....
So I called Georgia and they said it's not a "waitlist" and we will have a decision anywhere from now until April 1st (which blows), but it's still better than having to wait until July or something. Have fun at A & B everybody who's going, wish they allowed "held" students to join lol.
Thanks for looking into this and reporting back. Nice to have some sort of understanding about what it means.

moviechicka

New

Post by moviechicka » Wed Feb 17, 2010 10:05 pm

Killacam18 wrote:I'll be there as well. Anyone going to the reception at Alston & Bird on 3/4?
I'll be at both.

Philranger

New

Post by Philranger » Wed Feb 17, 2010 10:28 pm

I am currently a 1L at UGA Law and I am looking for two roommates to share my 3BR/3BA condo in the Woodlands starting this fall. The Woodlands is a very nice complex on the East side of town and usually has a lot of law students living in it. It is about a three to five minute drive to campus. Rent would be $400 a month plus 1/3 utilities. If any one is interested or just wants more information please feel free to message me.

minkins

New

Post by minkins » Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:58 am

Is anyone bringing a parent to ASD? Is that normal or not?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

missvik218

Silver

Post by missvik218 » Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:02 am

minkins wrote:Is anyone bringing a parent to ASD? Is that normal or not?
I'm bringing a friend!? I've seen on other threads people who bring parents, friends, and SOs to ASD, I don't think it's too abnormal.

hwstewart

New

Post by hwstewart » Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:03 am

Everyone have fun at A+B, wish I could be there! Will definitely be there for ASD though!

eagerbeaver

New

Public Interest Conference

Post by eagerbeaver » Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:20 am

Has anyone heard anything about student housing at the upcoming public interest conference and/or the agenda for conference? I have contacted the point people/searched the website, but I'm finding very little information. I'm flying in for the weekend and just want to know where to go and what to do. Thanks!
Last edited by eagerbeaver on Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

missvik218

Silver

Re: Public Interest Conference

Post by missvik218 » Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:25 am

eagerbeaver wrote:Has anyone heard anything about student housing at the upcoming public interest conference and/or the agenda for the weekend? I have contacted the point people/searched the website, but I'm finding very little information. I'm flying in for the weekend and just want to know where to go and what to do. Thanks!
Yeah, they haven't given out a ton of info about it yet. I don't even think you can register/RSVP for it. They only just sent out the invites for the 3/4 Alston + Bird meet and greet so I think it may be a little bit before we hear anything substantial.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

MarkRenton

Bronze

Post by MarkRenton » Thu Feb 18, 2010 12:22 pm

missvik218 wrote:
I'm bringing a friend!? I've seen on other threads people who bring parents, friends, and SOs to ASD, I don't think it's too abnormal.
Apparently it's common place to bring parents, but I kind of consider it weird. I mean, law school is a professional school. Just kind of think that we've made it to the point in our lives where we can consult our folks on big decisions but they shouldn't really be holding our hand through it. I've seen elsewhere that if you do bring parents, make sure they don't ask questions for you in the different forums. That will bring a few eye rolls. I understand bringing SO's.

flowerpot

New

Post by flowerpot » Thu Feb 18, 2010 12:27 pm

Just got the Tuition Equalization Scholarship in the mail today in NC! So excited!!!!!

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Thu Feb 18, 2010 12:44 pm

I'm probably not bringing anyone to the actual ASD itself, but I'm gonna see if me and some of my friends want to split a hotel in Athens and make a rager out of the weekend. Might be fun.

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Thu Feb 18, 2010 12:45 pm

MarkRenton wrote:
missvik218 wrote:
Apparently it's common place to bring parents, but I kind of consider it weird. I mean, law school is a professional school. Just kind of think that we've made it to the point in our lives where we can consult our folks on big decisions but they shouldn't really be holding our hand through it. I've seen elsewhere that if you do bring parents, make sure they don't ask questions for you in the different forums. That will bring a few eye rolls. I understand bringing SO's.
If anyone asks, say your friend is your significant other.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

MarkRenton

Bronze

Post by MarkRenton » Thu Feb 18, 2010 12:47 pm

rad law wrote:
I'm probably not bringing anyone to the actual ASD itself, but I'm gonna see if me and some of my friends want to split a hotel in Athens and make a rager out of the weekend. Might be fun.
I recommend this.

missvik218

Silver

Post by missvik218 » Thu Feb 18, 2010 12:59 pm

rad law wrote:
MarkRenton wrote:
missvik218 wrote:
If anyone asks, say your friend is your significant other.
Excellent, maybe I could get some diversity points and an increased scholarship!!

Midnight Rider

New

Post by Midnight Rider » Thu Feb 18, 2010 2:05 pm

missvik218 wrote:Excellent, maybe I could get some diversity points and an increased scholarship!!
Hold on...if dating URMs is a scholly qualifier, then I should get PAID to go to UGA

bonnieblue

Bronze

Post by bonnieblue » Thu Feb 18, 2010 2:10 pm

my mom is going with me.......i think she assumes i will be kidnapped in atlanta or something

but she is paying for the whole thing instead of me having to, so i guess i can't complain too much

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

JMBrown32

New

Post by JMBrown32 » Thu Feb 18, 2010 3:29 pm

Finally got my fin aid info from UGA. Equalization + 5K/year. Quite please with that offer and will be visiting the school sometime soon.

Neil

Bronze

Post by Neil » Thu Feb 18, 2010 3:38 pm

Midnight Rider wrote:
missvik218 wrote:Excellent, maybe I could get some diversity points and an increased scholarship!!
Hold on...if dating URMs is a scholly qualifier, then I should get PAID to go to UGA

:lol:

... pretty sure she meant in the LGBT sense.

missvik218

Silver

Post by missvik218 » Thu Feb 18, 2010 3:42 pm

Neil wrote:
Midnight Rider wrote:

Haha, yes nice thought "Midnight Rider" ... if you're F your name has just taken on a whole new meaning. But I was talking about bringing my GIRLFRIEND to ASD.

Neil

Bronze

Post by Neil » Thu Feb 18, 2010 3:56 pm

missvik218 wrote:
Neil wrote:
Midnight Rider wrote:

Haha, yes nice thought "Midnight Rider" ... if you're F your name has just taken on a whole new meaning. But I was talking about bringing my GIRLFRIEND to ASD.
Get your head out of the gutter! :lol:

It's possible the "diversity points" reference only came to me naturally because I had the same conversation about negotiating scholarships with my friend, who is coming with me to WUSTL's ASD...

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”