Univ of Georgia Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
gogo

New

Re: Univ of Georgia

Post by gogo » Thu Jan 28, 2010 12:30 am

rad law wrote:
missvik218 wrote:
T_Easy wrote:Any admitted people going to the Admitted Students Reception with Alumni in Atlanta on March 4th, and/or the Admitted Students Open House in Athens on March 27th?

I'm excited about going to UGA Law in this August, but I want to enjoy my carefree life before I subject myself to being a law school student. I may pass on these and just head to Athens in August.
Planning on the 27th. But may reconsider and go on the 4th ... if you had to chose one which would you pick?
Personally Athens sounds more fun?
I'm also planning on going on the 27th! Sounds better all around.

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Thu Jan 28, 2010 1:16 am

On a related but important topic, what are everyone's favorite Athens bars? I prefer Roadhouse, City Bar, and General's.

ExcitedBlutterance

Bronze

Post by ExcitedBlutterance » Thu Jan 28, 2010 1:17 am

rad law wrote:On a related but important topic, what are everyone's favorite Athens bars? I prefer Roadhouse, City Bar, and General's.
General's!! :D

bonnieblue

Bronze

Post by bonnieblue » Thu Jan 28, 2010 1:36 am

here's my brief rundown:

generals-pretty good, can get super crowded
city bar-classy, nicer drinks
bourbon- mecca of underage drinking, freshman dancing to "don't stop believing" on tables
roadhouse-my fav, but kind of small
sandbar-just no, but if you do go, make sure its after like 1:00
boar's head-used to be great, but kind of falling downhill

married0L

New

Post by married0L » Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:49 am

Hahahaha, so I guess all of you like hanging out with 18 year olds?

Far and away the best bars in Athens are:

Trapeze-amazing beer selection, great atmosphere, pricey but absolutely worth it, a true pub
Blue Sky-above Walker's, in and outdoor space, good beer selection
All Good-enjoyable two story bar, not the best service but two huge bars

From there it is all about what you are in the mood for that night.

But by the lists you all threw together, it would seem you havent been back since you were college freshmen.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

bonnieblue

Bronze

Post by bonnieblue » Thu Jan 28, 2010 10:52 am

married0L wrote:Hahahaha, so I guess all of you like hanging out with 18 year olds?

Far and away the best bars in Athens are:

Trapeze-amazing beer selection, great atmosphere, pricey but absolutely worth it, a true pub
Blue Sky-above Walker's, in and outdoor space, good beer selection
All Good-enjoyable two story bar, not the best service but two huge bars

From there it is all about what you are in the mood for that night.

But by the lists you all threw together, it would seem you havent been back since you were college freshmen.
Yeah I went to Athens a lot more when I was a freshman and soph.....Blue Sky is pretty new isn't it? But yeah Trapeze is great, it would def be more of a law school bar, its really chill and has an older crowd.

but I miss Athens, I can't wait to go back....

Midnight Rider

New

Post by Midnight Rider » Thu Jan 28, 2010 12:15 pm

married0L wrote:Yeah I went to Athens a lot more when I was a freshman and soph.....Blue Sky is pretty new isn't it? But yeah Trapeze is great, it would def be more of a law school bar, its really chill and has an older crowd.

but I miss Athens, I can't wait to go back....
+1 on trapeze, it's a nice vibe. The classic grad student hangout is the Globe.

It's been 8 years since I lived there, but my girl is in grad school there so I revisit the glory days on occasion

Don't miss out on A couple of 5 points must sees though. Cali 'n Titos (see what they did there) is a BYOB place that is absolutely the best. It used to be Achim's K-Bob back when I was there and is now better, IMO/IME.

Also, as far as a less teenish vibe, check out Aromas at 5 points. $5 beer tasting flights, $20 bottles of house bubbly (we drank 4 last Friday), pretty respectable wine list, tapas, cheese, meals (never had a full one there, but looks good). Instant favorite now. I was going to visit a friend and the Royal Peasant was packed so we wandered in and 3 hours later sauntered out, much better for the stay.

As far as admissions...app still incomplete status...

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Thu Jan 28, 2010 12:28 pm

married0L wrote:Hahahaha, so I guess all of you like hanging out with 18 year olds?
Because I'm still in undergrad, many of my friends (not me haha) do search out where the 18 year old girls are. Trapeze sounds good; I appreciate good beer and dive bars get old sometimes.

tinyone

Bronze

Post by tinyone » Thu Jan 28, 2010 1:49 pm

I live in Atlanta (Buckhead/N. Druid Hills/Emory area) so I'll probably go to both days. I'd be down for drinks before hand.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

moviechicka

New

Post by moviechicka » Thu Jan 28, 2010 2:51 pm

I live in Decatur. I would be down for a drink.

Antigone

New

Post by Antigone » Thu Jan 28, 2010 3:05 pm

Application Status Today: "Your application has been reviewed and is being held for further review."

What does this really mean? They reviewed my app and were like "umm...let's look at this shit after lunch..."?

jahallc

New

Post by jahallc » Thu Jan 28, 2010 3:11 pm

Antigone wrote:Application Status Today: "Your application has been reviewed and is being held for further review."

What does this really mean? They reviewed my app and were like "umm...let's look at this shit after lunch..."?
I don't know what it really means, but I've been held for further review since the beginning of December. I think they're wanting to review the rest of the files, and then once they've finished those, come back to the people they've held. I think it's people they don't want to reject for some reason, but they don't want to admit either. So, they're holding it to see how the rest of the applicants look before making too many decisions on borderline applicants.

Antigone

New

Post by Antigone » Thu Jan 28, 2010 3:16 pm

jahallc wrote:
Antigone wrote:Application Status Today: "Your application has been reviewed and is being held for further review."

I don't know what it really means, but I've been held for further review since the beginning of December. I think they're wanting to review the rest of the files, and then once they've finished those, come back to the people they've held. I think it's people they don't want to reject for some reason, but they don't want to admit either. So, they're holding it to see how the rest of the applicants look before making too many decisions on borderline applicants.
Lovely. I don't know if I should feel good about this, or if I should feel like crap. I guess with my LSAT and the "wall" everyone is talking about, I should feel pretty ok about being held. Hmmm...to be cuddled by UGA

Stats: 3.97 UGPA (4.05)
157 LSAT

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

bissey

Bronze

Post by bissey » Thu Jan 28, 2010 3:20 pm

walker's for (cheap) beer, boar's head for hanging out, loft for girls :)

jahallc

New

Post by jahallc » Thu Jan 28, 2010 3:21 pm

Antigone, your numbers are very similar to mine. So, I imagine we're in the maybe pile. Good luck =)! At least, we weren't rejected out right!

fulkersonr1

Bronze

Post by fulkersonr1 » Thu Jan 28, 2010 4:36 pm

Just received acceptance letter in the mail. I had already asked to be withdrawn but I guess it was already in the mail. Good luck to everyone still waiting.

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Thu Jan 28, 2010 6:25 pm

ExcitedBlutterance wrote:General's!! :D
General's Dixieland tea is pretty good, but it tastes like you could get diabetes from it. Decently priced Bud tall boys though. Girls are hot.
bissey wrote:walker's for (cheap) beer, boar's head for hanging out, loft for girls :)
The last time I went to the Loft, the people there were really weird, so I haven't been back.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

keg411

Platinum

Post by keg411 » Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:05 pm

Daily <3 for UGA.
PleasetakemeafterIowninFeb :) :) :)

bissey

Bronze

Post by bissey » Fri Jan 29, 2010 3:38 pm

$4k/year scholarship. wtf? What is the curve at UGA?

Anyone know about negotiating?

kp009

New

Post by kp009 » Fri Jan 29, 2010 3:40 pm

bissey wrote:$4k/year scholarship. wtf? What is the curve at UGA?

Were you notified by e-mail? Just curious and hoping that I'll hear something soon!

entrechatsix

Bronze

Post by entrechatsix » Fri Jan 29, 2010 3:41 pm

bissey wrote:$4k/year scholarship. wtf? What is the curve at UGA?

was there a class rank stipulation?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

bissey

Bronze

Post by bissey » Fri Jan 29, 2010 3:42 pm

I got a letter in the mail.

Need to maintain 2.7 GPA.

entrechatsix

Bronze

Post by entrechatsix » Fri Jan 29, 2010 3:45 pm

bissey wrote:I got a letter in the mail.

well congrats. hopefully we can get some uga students to weigh in on the curve and how negotiating works. hope it all works out!

bissey

Bronze

Post by bissey » Fri Jan 29, 2010 3:48 pm

entrechatsix wrote:
bissey wrote:I got a letter in the mail.

well congrats. hopefully we can get some uga students to weigh in on the curve and how negotiating works. hope it all works out!
Thanks. I was hoping for more- like half tuition at least. Idk maybe it was wishful thinking but maybe I can negotiate a couple thousand more out of them.

entrechatsix

Bronze

Post by entrechatsix » Fri Jan 29, 2010 3:52 pm

--LinkRemoved--

this is the best i could find

edit: also this
LAW SCHOOL GRADING POLICIES

To insure a measure of uniformity in grading policies, the faculty has instituted the following regulations:
First Year Grades

The average grade in each first year course shall fall within the range of 2.9-3.1 based on the Law School's grading system (A+ = 4.3; A = 4.0; A- = 3.7; B+ = 3.3, etc.). Variations from this
rule is permissible only in extraordinary circumstances must be outlined by the instructor in a letter to the Dean.

Suggested guidelines, which are not mandatory, are:

---Maximum 33% "A" grades (including A+ and A-)

---Maximum 33% grades of C+ or lower

---Maximum of two A+ grades

Upper-level Grades

Except as set forth below, the average grade in all upper-level courses shall fall within the range of 2.9-3.2. Variations are permissible only in extraordinary circumstances which must be outlined in a letter from the instuctor to the Dean. The grades of non-J.D. students shall be disregarded for purposes of this policy. All courses and seminars with 20 or fewer students are not subject to this policy.

Suggested guidelines, which are not mandatory, are:

---Maximum 33% "A" grades (including A+ and A-)

---Maximum 33% grades of C+ or lower

---Maximum of two A+ grades

School of Law Faculty Policy stipulates that grading should be completed and course grades submitted to the law registrar office within thirty days after the relevant examination period.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”