Univ of Georgia Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
eschilli

New

Re: Univ of Georgia

Post by eschilli » Sat Dec 12, 2009 3:30 pm

likeaspark wrote:
the lantern wrote:Ugh, been "in review" since 12/9, I know it is only two days but I can't help but be like I am going to be the first guy over 164 to get rejected. :(
I've been under review since 12/9 too, with a 171 and 3.74. Still can't help but feel jittery.
You're a lock.

missvik218

Silver

Post by missvik218 » Mon Dec 14, 2009 10:51 am

Does anyone know anything about establishing residency in GA?! On the thread Ken posted it appears to be rather difficult, but in UGA's acceptance letter they try to downplay it and make it seem like it's a given that all 2Ls will get in-state tuition if they so desire and follow the appropriate protocol ...
Ken on TLS wrote:GEORGIA: An important thing to bear in mind with Georgia residency is that there is not a set of ultimate guidelines, because Georgia state law puts the ultimate authority in residency decisions with the Board of Regents. A person must be a "bona fide" GA resident for 12 months before applying for residency, and they can help their case with proof of residency in the form of vehicle/voter registration, state income tax returns, etc. Also noteworthy is that the wording excludes from consideration those who are full-time students during that 12-month period, but not those who are part-time students. UGA's website states that the vast majority of individuals in the most recent incoming class for which statistics were available were GA residents, a fact which implies (though it is not explicitly stated) that GA residents were given preferential admissions treatment. Tuition is reduced from $29,054 to $12,058.
UGA acceptance letter wrote:Historically, the vast majority of law students who are classified as out-of-state when they enroll establish in-state classification for tuition purposes after living in Georgia for one year. This allows them to pay tuition at the in-state rate for their second and third years of law school.

robin600

Gold

Post by robin600 » Mon Dec 14, 2009 10:54 am

so do they not accept anyone under a 164, I'm 163/3.65 no chance?

shawty18ga

Bronze

Post by shawty18ga » Mon Dec 14, 2009 11:09 am

No, that's not true. I have a 163/4.0 and I got in.

LadyTarHeelian

New

Post by LadyTarHeelian » Mon Dec 14, 2009 11:12 am

robin600 wrote:so do they not accept anyone under a 164, I'm 163/3.65 no chance?
LSN sure makes it seem like anyone without a 164 is at a major disadvantage though :cry:

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

the lantern

Bronze

Post by the lantern » Mon Dec 14, 2009 11:12 am

missvik218 wrote:Does anyone know anything about establishing residency in GA?! On the thread Ken posted it appears to be rather difficult, but in UGA's acceptance letter they try to downplay it and make it seem like it's a given that all 2Ls will get in-state tuition if they so desire and follow the appropriate protocol ...
Ken on TLS wrote:GEORGIA: An important thing to bear in mind with Georgia residency is that there is not a set of ultimate guidelines, because Georgia state law puts the ultimate authority in residency decisions with the Board of Regents. A person must be a "bona fide" GA resident for 12 months before applying for residency, and they can help their case with proof of residency in the form of vehicle/voter registration, state income tax returns, etc. Also noteworthy is that the wording excludes from consideration those who are full-time students during that 12-month period, but not those who are part-time students. UGA's website states that the vast majority of individuals in the most recent incoming class for which statistics were available were GA residents, a fact which implies (though it is not explicitly stated) that GA residents were given preferential admissions treatment. Tuition is reduced from $29,054 to $12,058.
UGA acceptance letter wrote:Historically, the vast majority of law students who are classified as out-of-state when they enroll establish in-state classification for tuition purposes after living in Georgia for one year. This allows them to pay tuition at the in-state rate for their second and third years of law school.
I am also interested in hearing about this. A few posters that said they are current students may be able to provide more insight. The way I understand it is that as long as you aren't anyone's dependent then you will be able to get residency.

Neil

Bronze

Post by Neil » Mon Dec 14, 2009 11:19 am

the lantern wrote:
missvik218 wrote:Does anyone know anything about establishing residency in GA?! On the thread Ken posted it appears to be rather difficult, but in UGA's acceptance letter they try to downplay it and make it seem like it's a given that all 2Ls will get in-state tuition if they so desire and follow the appropriate protocol ...
I am also interested in hearing about this. A few posters that said they are current students may be able to provide more insight. The way I understand it is that as long as you aren't anyone's dependent then you will be able to get residency.
Woah, now I am also concerned. I have been getting excited about Georgia as a viable possibility, but everything I have read before this suggested I would be in-state my second and third years...

Unadilla Kayaker

Bronze

Post by Unadilla Kayaker » Mon Dec 14, 2009 1:16 pm

Here is a link to the UGA Law website.

--LinkRemoved--

It seems you have to make it a priority, but it doesn't say anything along the lines of what was highlighted above from one of Ken's posts. I would trust the information on the website more because I think it would be dishonest for UGA to say it is a possibility when really it is not. However, the wording clearly says there is no guarantee.

HTH

tinyone

Bronze

Post by tinyone » Mon Dec 14, 2009 2:11 pm

They also give out a fair amount of "tuition equalization" scholarships to non-residents, which basically reduces your tuition to the in-state amount. From what I've heard it's not too hard to gain GA residency after your first year.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

keg411

Platinum

Post by keg411 » Mon Dec 14, 2009 2:25 pm

tinyone wrote:They also give out a fair amount of "tuition equalization" scholarships to non-residents, which basically reduces your tuition to the in-state amount. From what I've heard it's not too hard to gain GA residency after your first year.
The guy at the NY Forum said it was easy and that most students are able to get residency after the first year. Maybe it's changed since the profile was written?

missvik218

Silver

Post by missvik218 » Mon Dec 14, 2009 2:27 pm

Hopefully, their website makes it look like it shouldn't be too hard as long as you make gaining residency a priority from day one when you move to Athens.

eschilli

New

Post by eschilli » Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:21 pm

robin600 wrote:so do they not accept anyone under a 164, I'm 163/3.65 no chance?
You have a very good chance.

atlantalaw

Bronze

Post by atlantalaw » Mon Dec 14, 2009 5:15 pm

missvik218 wrote:Hopefully, their website makes it look like it shouldn't be too hard as long as you make gaining residency a priority from day one when you move to Athens.
I know some people trying to get GA residency (I'm a 1L at UGA). They have said so far that it is not hard. You have to go through some steps, but most of the OOS people I know have an in-state tuition equilizer so you have some time to establish residency, like someone above said.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

likeaspark

Bronze

Post by likeaspark » Wed Dec 16, 2009 1:22 pm

Just got in! (via status checker). Anyone have any clue as to when UGA sends out scholarship information?

terpette

Bronze

Post by terpette » Wed Dec 16, 2009 1:24 pm

likeaspark wrote:Just got in! (via status checker). Anyone have any clue as to when UGA sends out scholarship information?
I believe it'll say in your letter when it comes...I think they said Feb?? I could def be wrong though haha

lawhawk

Bronze

Post by lawhawk » Wed Dec 16, 2009 1:27 pm

shawty18ga wrote:No, that's not true. I have a 163/4.0 and I got in.

you're above the GPA median that's why

missvik218

Silver

Post by missvik218 » Wed Dec 16, 2009 1:46 pm

terpette wrote:
likeaspark wrote:Just got in! (via status checker). Anyone have any clue as to when UGA sends out scholarship information?
I believe it'll say in your letter when it comes...I think they said Feb?? I could def be wrong though haha
Yep, merit scholarship committee meets in Jan and if awarded you will hear back "no later than February" straight from the acceptance letter.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

PowderP

New

Post by PowderP » Fri Dec 18, 2009 6:28 am

Hello All,
I am a 1L and probably made all Cs on my midterms, but am more than glad to answer questions.
I got in late in the cycle (probably last one in actually). However, once your in that's all that matters. On the in-state residency, it is a 95% chance you will get it as a 2L. They have a meeting and tell you exactly what you need to do. Good luck to all of you and you better get your partying over with by August 2010 (for at least a year anyways).

BriaTharen

Silver

Post by BriaTharen » Fri Dec 18, 2009 12:36 pm

For those who have heard back- how long did it take. I've been under review since December 1st :|

GatorGirl1230

New

Post by GatorGirl1230 » Fri Dec 18, 2009 6:34 pm

JessicaTiger wrote:For those who have heard back- how long did it take. I've been under review since December 1st :|
I applied on a Monday, and heard back the following Wednesday. However, I applied over a month ago, so they might be starting to get backed up.

The Zeppelin

Bronze

Post by The Zeppelin » Fri Dec 18, 2009 6:39 pm

JessicaTiger wrote:For those who have heard back- how long did it take. I've been under review since December 1st :|
8 days I believe.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

austinite13

New

Post by austinite13 » Fri Dec 18, 2009 6:47 pm

I have been put on File Review. Held for further review. 161 /3.74 Non-Traditional student 10+ work experience.

Do you think this is a W/L or Reject?

BriaTharen

Silver

Post by BriaTharen » Fri Dec 18, 2009 7:19 pm

austinite13 wrote:I have been put on File Review. Held for further review. 161 /3.74 Non-Traditional student 10+ work experience.

Do you think this is a W/L or Reject?
Could be the "silent WL" :(

d-cannon

New

Post by d-cannon » Mon Dec 21, 2009 12:06 am

File complete 12/9...

... thinking I would not get a decision so quickly, I did not check online, but received the acceptance letter and window decal yesterday.

the lantern

Bronze

Post by the lantern » Mon Dec 21, 2009 8:39 am

d-cannon wrote:File complete 12/9...

... thinking I would not get a decision so quickly, I did not check online, but received the acceptance letter and window decal yesterday.
Are you a GA resident? We have similar numbers but I've been under review for longer :(

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”