Univ of Georgia Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
aguyingeorgia

Silver

Re: Univ of Georgia

Post by aguyingeorgia » Thu Jan 07, 2010 1:12 am

ntzsch wrote:
not 100% you were refering to me. but i got into UGA (much to my elation!) 5 days after going complete. everyone else i know who got in (ie, everyone ITT) with 164+ and 3.0+ has had a similar turn around, regardless of in-state status (i was OOS).

Law school advice: If someone has an understanding that you don't of a process, people involved in the process, etc, I'd avoid the whole pseudo logic of...

"Well, me and everybody I know..."

I know what I'm talking about here. Dang. Ha

aguyingeorgia

Silver

Post by aguyingeorgia » Thu Jan 07, 2010 1:21 am

Snicker. Link forwarded to 1L's and 2L's at UGA for laughs.

d-cannon

New

Post by d-cannon » Thu Jan 07, 2010 1:27 am

edited
Last edited by d-cannon on Sun Sep 26, 2010 1:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

aguyingeorgia

Silver

Post by aguyingeorgia » Thu Jan 07, 2010 1:44 am

UGH.

I'm just saying that there is a lot more that goes into the decision than the numbers, and that someone shouldn't panic.

There is an initial accept rate of certain numbers within a certain range. Then, they slow down after hitting X. They examine the number of in-state's they have, consider the number of those that they think will accept, scholarship money available to entice those above y, etc. Then, they start adjusting from there. After a certain point in time, and a certain number of accepts, the numbers shift.

This is also affected by when people take vacations, how many people apply early while waiting on the December LSAT, how seriously they are considering yield protect, etc.

Things have shifted under the new Dean, but what I'm really emphasizing is that not hearing back by z date, especially the further you get into November, shouldn't necessarily lead you to conclude that you aren't getting in.

Also keep in mind that in general, the people on this board are really on top of things and often are early applicants, strong applicants, or very persistent callers... even if you happened to get in early, quickly, etc, doesn't mean that someone else can't get in because they haven't heard yet.

Mainly, I'm saying don't panic if you don't hear until mid-January or beyond. I know several people with numbers around the average, or who were far, far above, who had to wait a bit.

the lantern

Bronze

Post by the lantern » Thu Jan 07, 2010 8:29 am

Yeah... I applied with a 165 and I haven't heard anything yet. It has been around two months, but no big deal. No use stressing over something I have no control over.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

mytwocents

Bronze

Post by mytwocents » Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:40 am

aguyingeorgia wrote:UGH.

I'm just saying that there is a lot more that goes into the decision than the numbers, and that someone shouldn't panic.

There is an initial accept rate of certain numbers within a certain range. Then, they slow down after hitting X. They examine the number of in-state's they have, consider the number of those that they think will accept, scholarship money available to entice those above y, etc. Then, they start adjusting from there. After a certain point in time, and a certain number of accepts, the numbers shift.

This is also affected by when people take vacations, how many people apply early while waiting on the December LSAT, how seriously they are considering yield protect, etc.

Things have shifted under the new Dean, but what I'm really emphasizing is that not hearing back by z date, especially the further you get into November, shouldn't necessarily lead you to conclude that you aren't getting in.

Also keep in mind that in general, the people on this board are really on top of things and often are early applicants, strong applicants, or very persistent callers... even if you happened to get in early, quickly, etc, doesn't mean that someone else can't get in because they haven't heard yet.

Mainly, I'm saying don't panic if you don't hear until mid-January or beyond. I know several people with numbers around the average, or who were far, far above, who had to wait a bit.
I like this! You're very reassuring :)

Nicholasnickynic

Silver

Post by Nicholasnickynic » Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:10 pm

d-cannon wrote:There are plenty of OOS with a 164 ITT who got accepted in December within a week of hitting "submit"... including me.

I would not consider that SLOOOW, SLOW, SLOW.

What would you consider quick?
+1 truth. Thats me.

Also I think if you are a 163 with a 3.7+ you probably have a good chance. Their median GPA is 3.7 yet they are letting in all kinds of 3.xxs if they have 164 +. So I imagine they make up for it by taking people with higher GPAs from the lower LSAT group.

Good luck to all!

BriaTharen

Silver

Post by BriaTharen » Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:43 pm

So, I've been "Under Review" for over a month now :?

I guess I should be happy that they haven't outright rejected me- but I'm impatient!

tarvis79

New

Post by tarvis79 » Thu Jan 07, 2010 1:24 pm

Accepted yesterday, 3.41/172.

I'm uncertain when I actually went complete, as I've only had access to the status checker since Jan. 4. However, I submitted my application on 12/14.

:D

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

lawhawk

Bronze

Post by lawhawk » Thu Jan 07, 2010 2:17 pm

damnit let me in uga haha. retook in dec and got that magical 164. I know its only been a few days, but I want in!

The Zeppelin

Bronze

Post by The Zeppelin » Thu Jan 07, 2010 2:24 pm

I'm just ready for some scholarship info.

lawhawk

Bronze

Post by lawhawk » Thu Jan 07, 2010 2:25 pm

ntzsch wrote:
lawhawk wrote:damnit let me in uga haha. retook in dec and got that magical 164. I know its only been a few days, but I want in!

the udates may take a week or two to get a new report for LSAC to UGA. But I would recommend calling UGA to let them know the good news/ your interest in the school, maybe?

Yeah I've been contemplating this. I know that LSAC sent the updated file so I don't want to sound pushy. I guess I'll wait until the end of January before I do this. I'm a bit nervous because I had a 163 and I was "held for further review" so I'm afraid my file just got tossed to the side. But on LSN there seemed to be movement for December applicants on Jan. 15th.

missvik218

Silver

Post by missvik218 » Thu Jan 07, 2010 2:40 pm

The Zeppelin wrote:I'm just ready for some scholarship info.
Seconded.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

OneEyedJack

New

Post by OneEyedJack » Thu Jan 07, 2010 2:59 pm

Did most of y'all write the optional diversity essay for UGA? I have heard that UGA is really big on LSAT scores, and since I'm somewhat over the median (I got a 166) I was hoping that I could... you know... not write that...

And yes, I have not submitted my applications yet. My letters of rec must have been sent via bird.

missvik218

Silver

Post by missvik218 » Thu Jan 07, 2010 3:02 pm

Yes, I sent a Diversity/Optional Essay.

Eazy E

New

Post by Eazy E » Thu Jan 07, 2010 3:28 pm

Ugh, UGA's starting to irk me. Submitted in early October, status checker still shows that they don't have my LSDAS report, so I email admissions to ask what's up. They respond with, "Eh, we should have it by the end of the week." In what universe does that make sense?

Zojirushi

Bronze

Post by Zojirushi » Thu Jan 07, 2010 3:30 pm

Eazy E wrote:Ugh, UGA's starting to irk me. Submitted in early October, status checker still shows that they don't have my LSDAS report, so I email admissions to ask what's up. They respond with, "Eh, we should have it by the end of the week." In what universe does that make sense?
lol, lame. I am pretty sure that means "We messed up. Sorry, dude."

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

lawhawk

Bronze

Post by lawhawk » Thu Jan 07, 2010 3:54 pm

I just called. They said they are backed up from break and should have everything sorted out early next week.

But if they really wrote "eh, ...." in an email that is hilarious and ridiculous at the same time. Silly wrabbits.

the lantern

Bronze

Post by the lantern » Thu Jan 07, 2010 8:34 pm

I posted this same thing around a month ago, but it still holds true: I can't help but feeling like I'm going to be the first person with a 165 to be rejected. Each day that goes by my hope slips. :)

bissey

Bronze

Post by bissey » Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:34 pm

someone already accomplished it on lsn.

the lantern

Bronze

Post by the lantern » Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:13 pm

bissey wrote:someone already accomplished it on lsn.
Yeah but there must be something wrong with that person. I mean, they aren't even a splitter. They are right smack dab in the middle of like 10 green dots.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

OneEyedJack

New

Post by OneEyedJack » Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:22 pm

Yeah, I would agree. From what I have heard/seen, if you have a 165+ (even 164) you should be in... unless "there is something wrong with the person." But, please, correct me if I'm (we're) wrong. This is because I have a 166 and a 3.33 lsdas gpa and that little red dot on the graph makes me worry as well..

lawhawk

Bronze

Post by lawhawk » Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:24 pm

It should be ok. I'd almost be willing to guarantee they had a criminal record or got kicked out of school

OneEyedJack

New

Post by OneEyedJack » Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:32 pm

lawhawk wrote:It should be ok. I'd almost be willing to guarantee they had a criminal record or got kicked out of school
agreed

fulkersonr1

Bronze

Post by fulkersonr1 » Fri Jan 08, 2010 1:49 pm

Anyone else unable to check their status checker at the moment? Hopefully means they are making a decision!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”