Penn State 2010 application cycle

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Nicholasnickynic

Re: Penn State 2010 application cycle

Postby Nicholasnickynic » Sat Jan 23, 2010 5:30 pm

i got the letter... 5k/year. Really, Penn State? I mean, Really? What is that, like half of my rent for the year?

This eliminates Penn State for me- Pitt, which is cheaper in the first place, offered me 14k/year. GL to those still waiting and congrats to all who got real scholarships!

sarlis

Postby sarlis » Sat Jan 23, 2010 5:45 pm

Nicholasnickynic wrote:i got the letter... 5k/year. Really, Penn State? I mean, Really? What is that, like half of my rent for the year?

This eliminates Penn State for me- Pitt, which is cheaper in the first place, offered me 14k/year. GL to those still waiting and congrats to all who got real scholarships!

what are your numbers?

Nicholasnickynic

Postby Nicholasnickynic » Sat Jan 23, 2010 11:59 pm

165/3.1x (used to be 3.0x, but it went up after last semester!).

I guess Penn State puts more emphasis on softs. I mean I've got a good (although nothing amazing) PS and pretty good reccomendations but I have horrible ECs. No leadership, or significant volunteering or student council or law experience or w/e.

I'm not too bummed... I only applied to Penn State cause I like the T2 penn schools and thought I would go to Penn State only if they made me a good offer... which they didn't.

But I'm in to Georgia and Wake, so I'm not sweating it. I guess schools just emphasize LSAT/GPA differently.

Edited to add:

I saw that you got 60k. If you don't mind me asking, Numbers?

badwithpseudonyms

Postby badwithpseudonyms » Mon Jan 25, 2010 7:33 am

Veritas wrote:60k over three years in the acceptance packet.

Congrats, Veritas! Does that change anything for you?

To the post above: Penn State isn't really known for throwing around the bank, and it looks like that is more or less true for this cycle. (They've been pumping money into faculty hires, new buildings, etc. though) I see two scholarships larger than 60k last year on LSN. I mean, 20k makes it a good price, but for many applicants Penn State will have to compete with some better offers.
Last edited by badwithpseudonyms on Mon Jan 25, 2010 12:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mattymatt

Postby mattymatt » Mon Jan 25, 2010 12:14 pm

chameleon wrote:My status checker just updated to be Under Review 1/18, whereas before it was Under Review 1/11 ... does anyone know if there is any significance to a date change without a status change?

I just noticed that this happened with mine as well. Anyone who's already gotten a decision have this same thing happen just before they heard back?

ndirish2010

Postby ndirish2010 » Thu Jan 28, 2010 12:57 pm

Withdrawn as of this morning, good luck everyone!

ram jam

Postby ram jam » Thu Jan 28, 2010 10:52 pm

I'm thinking withdraw. I applied to Penn State when I was 22 years old. I have not received a decision from PSU (I went complete in the beginning of November), my numbers are above the 75th percentile... Leads me to believe that my app sketched them out. Who knows?

Burger in a can

Postby Burger in a can » Fri Jan 29, 2010 12:26 am

ram jam wrote:I'm thinking withdraw. I applied to Penn State when I was 22 years old. I have not received a decision from PSU (I went complete in the beginning of November), my numbers are above the 75th percentile... Leads me to believe that my app sketched them out. Who knows?

The bolded is so contextually unnecessary, I am a little sketched out myself... :|

pantherfan

Postby pantherfan » Fri Jan 29, 2010 12:30 am

anyone planning on going up for a visit anytime soon?

usuaggie

Postby usuaggie » Fri Jan 29, 2010 12:35 am

Burger in a can wrote:
ram jam wrote:I'm thinking withdraw. I applied to Penn State when I was 22 years old. I have not received a decision from PSU (I went complete in the beginning of November), my numbers are above the 75th percentile... Leads me to believe that my app sketched them out. Who knows?

The bolded is so contextually unnecessary, I am a little sketched out myself... :|

I applied when I was 21 and on a thursday. or maybe it was a friday. either way, i was definitely eating a big mac and it was from my mother's computer. it is a desktop, not a laptop. I hope that doesnt hurt my chances.

LSAT! Nooooooooo!

Postby LSAT! Nooooooooo! » Fri Jan 29, 2010 11:15 am

usuaggie wrote:
Burger in a can wrote:

I applied when I was 21 and on a thursday. or maybe it was a friday. either way, i was definitely eating a big mac and it was from my mother's computer. it is a desktop, not a laptop. I hope that doesnt hurt my chances.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
*Zoolander voice
Ooooooooh snap!

champ33

Postby champ33 » Mon Feb 01, 2010 2:09 pm

I visited the school this past weekend and have to say that the building was very impressive. They just moved in I believe two semesters ago, and everything is brand new. Every classroom has video teleconference equipment with a button at each seat for microphone (some classes at UP have students sitting in from Carlisle and vice versa). I got the feeling that the school is committed financially and with other support to really establishing the law school and moving it up in the rankings (I think the law school building cost 100-200 million). The tour guide was very informative and seemed to have loved her experience, although one student in the library actually interrupted the tour and told us not to go to law school and that he will be graduating unemployed. Maybe he's unemployed because he came off like a complete dickhead, but nonetheless a little disconcerting. Other than that minor bump the building really was quite amazing and I'll definitely be considering Penn State, probably in the top 5 or so right now.

beach_terror

Postby beach_terror » Mon Feb 01, 2010 2:16 pm

Shoulda asked his class rank. I'd be interested, even though he sounds like a doucher.

violaboy

Postby violaboy » Mon Feb 01, 2010 2:18 pm

champ33 wrote:I visited the school this past weekend and have to say that the building was very impressive. They just moved in I believe two semesters ago, and everything is brand new. Every classroom has video teleconference equipment with a button at each seat for microphone (some classes at UP have students sitting in from Carlisle and vice versa). I got the feeling that the school is committed financially and with other support to really establishing the law school and moving it up in the rankings (I think the law school building cost 100-200 million). The tour guide was very informative and seemed to have loved her experience, although one student in the library actually interrupted the tour and told us not to go to law school and that he will be graduating unemployed. Maybe he's unemployed because he came off like a complete dickhead, but nonetheless a little disconcerting. Other than that minor bump the building really was quite amazing and I'll definitely be considering Penn State, probably in the top 5 or so right now.

He has a couple months to find a job, unless he's confident in the fact that he won't find one ;)

jkc939

Postby jkc939 » Mon Feb 01, 2010 5:08 pm

champ33 wrote:I visited the school this past weekend and have to say that the building was very impressive. They just moved in I believe two semesters ago, and everything is brand new. Every classroom has video teleconference equipment with a button at each seat for microphone (some classes at UP have students sitting in from Carlisle and vice versa). I got the feeling that the school is committed financially and with other support to really establishing the law school and moving it up in the rankings (I think the law school building cost 100-200 million). The tour guide was very informative and seemed to have loved her experience, although one student in the library actually interrupted the tour and told us not to go to law school and that he will be graduating unemployed. Maybe he's unemployed because he came off like a complete dickhead, but nonetheless a little disconcerting. Other than that minor bump the building really was quite amazing and I'll definitely be considering Penn State, probably in the top 5 or so right now.

I think it's pretty safe to ignore that clown. Anyone who is pathetic enough to disrupt a tour to tell them about their personal shortcomings (especially in late January) clearly lacks the social skills and/or self-confidence to find work, regardless of their degree. Obviously less than 100% of law school graduates find work by graduation - or even 9 months after- wherever they are coming out of, but I think that has FAR more to do with their lack of people skills and networking ability (and very possibly class rank if it's super low) than the school itself. I haven't visited Penn St. yet but it's one of my top 3 choices right now and I'll be checking it out this month.

Postby 02092010 » Mon Feb 01, 2010 5:13 pm

Maybe it is a Penn State passtime and we will find ourselves doing it in just a few years.

Did you visit the UP or Carlisle campus. Also, if you've been admitted (not that I have) does Penn State offer a stipend to visit?

champ33

Postby champ33 » Mon Feb 01, 2010 5:22 pm

tallywhacker wrote:

Maybe it is a Penn State passtime and we will find ourselves doing it in just a few years.

Did you visit the UP or Carlisle campus. Also, if you've been admitted (not that I have) does Penn State offer a stipend to visit?

I was admitted and placed in UP, so I visited there. I think it's pretty easy to switch the location if you change your mind, but if I attend it will be at UP. I didn't get a stipend and am from NY, but happened to be visiting a friend in central PA last weekend so it wasn't a big ordeal to get there. Maybe you can request a stipend if you're admitted, really can't say that I know whether or not they'd grant it, but good luck !

Whitters

Postby Whitters » Mon Feb 01, 2010 7:41 pm

I received an email 3 days before they sent my official letter asking me to choose which campus I wanted to attend. I still haven't received the letter or any scholarship information, but my status checker says I'm in. Did this happen to anyone else?

bkenney2

Postby bkenney2 » Mon Feb 01, 2010 7:52 pm

Under review since 12/7... what is going on here PSU?

jbarl1

Postby jbarl1 » Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:23 pm

Whitters wrote:I received an email 3 days before they sent my official letter asking me to choose which campus I wanted to attend. I still haven't received the letter or any scholarship information, but my status checker says I'm in. Did this happen to anyone else?

I was accepted on 1/22 and I am still waiting on a letter and scholarship information as well.

jlnoa0915

Postby jlnoa0915 » Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:26 pm

Penn State mailed me something on 1/26 will keep you guys posted if its scholarship info or not

Veritas

Postby Veritas » Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:28 pm

withdrew today! GL and I hope one of you get's my spot and some $$ :D

anthonyc350

Postby anthonyc350 » Tue Feb 02, 2010 1:20 pm

more online chats :roll: still no decisions

keemos

Postby keemos » Tue Feb 02, 2010 1:23 pm

Did anyone who was accepted by the email stating that there would be an acceptance packet sent out no later than January 29th receive it yet? If so, was there scholarship info"?

lawgirl99

Postby lawgirl99 » Tue Feb 02, 2010 1:37 pm

anthonyc350 wrote:more online chats :roll: still no decisions

I got this email as well. Why do they keep sending me chat invitations??!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”