Penn State 2010 application cycle Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
SoxyPirate

Bronze

Re: Penn State 2010 application cycle

Post by SoxyPirate » Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:15 am

jbarl1 wrote:What is the printing situation on campus? Is there a charge per page, like $.10? Or is it one of the lucky schools that is free printing? Does anyone know?
You get like 300 pages per semester for free. There's also a Lexis printer that you can print cases from for free. I haven't used anywhere near 300 pages per semester.

Danger

New

Post by Danger » Tue Feb 23, 2010 3:43 pm

I just went "Under Review." Any clue re: how long it takes them to make a decision?

TNX

jbarl1

Silver

Post by jbarl1 » Tue Feb 23, 2010 3:46 pm

SoxyPirate wrote:
jbarl1 wrote:What is the printing situation on campus? Is there a charge per page, like $.10? Or is it one of the lucky schools that is free printing? Does anyone know?
You get like 300 pages per semester for free. There's also a Lexis printer that you can print cases from for free. I haven't used anywhere near 300 pages per semester.

You didn't even use 300 pages when printing outlines for your finals? I have heard that outlines can be anywhere from 60-120 pages for each subject.

LSAT! Nooooooooo!

New

Post by LSAT! Nooooooooo! » Tue Feb 23, 2010 3:46 pm

Danger wrote:I just went "Under Review." Any clue re: how long it takes them to make a decision?

TNX
BLAH HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!!

jbarl1

Silver

Post by jbarl1 » Tue Feb 23, 2010 3:47 pm

Danger wrote:I just went "Under Review." Any clue re: how long it takes them to make a decision?

TNX
It varies...it took them about a week for me but much longer for others.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

bitlrc

Bronze

Post by bitlrc » Tue Feb 23, 2010 3:53 pm

jbarl1 wrote:
SoxyPirate wrote:

You didn't even use 300 pages when printing outlines for your finals? I have heard that outlines can be anywhere from 60-120 pages for each subject.

PhD dissertations aren't 120 pages. you might as well just not write one and bring the text book to the exam.

alannak

New

Post by alannak » Tue Feb 23, 2010 3:53 pm

i know this has been sort of explained before, but, like, i can't figure out how the 2 campus thing works. does 1 campus have better professors than the other? i sort of feel like i read something about video conferencing for classes? thanksssss and good luck to everyone waiting to hear back.

jbarl1

Silver

Post by jbarl1 » Tue Feb 23, 2010 4:06 pm

bitlrc wrote:
jbarl1 wrote:
SoxyPirate wrote:

PhD dissertations aren't 120 pages. you might as well just not write one and bring the text book to the exam.
I was just quoting Law School Confidential with those numbers....

bitlrc

Bronze

Post by bitlrc » Tue Feb 23, 2010 4:21 pm

jbarl1 wrote:
bitlrc wrote:
I was just quoting Law School Confidential with those numbers....

wasn't trying to be too critical there, just saying. from what i've read on this site, the most useful outlines are going to be 10-15 so it contains all the info you need but is easy enough to navigate to where it's an actual asset on exam day rather than a burden.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

SoxyPirate

Bronze

Post by SoxyPirate » Tue Feb 23, 2010 4:41 pm

jbarl1 wrote:
SoxyPirate wrote:

No. I see no use in printing off a 60pg "outline" anyway. Hell, I only took 60+ pages of notes in one class last semester.

jlnoa0915

Bronze

Post by jlnoa0915 » Tue Feb 23, 2010 4:43 pm

alannak wrote:i know this has been sort of explained before, but, like, i can't figure out how the 2 campus thing works. does 1 campus have better professors than the other? i sort of feel like i read something about video conferencing for classes? thanksssss and good luck to everyone waiting to hear back.

They video conference between the two schools at times so you get access to mostly all the professors.

SoxyPirate

Bronze

Post by SoxyPirate » Tue Feb 23, 2010 4:58 pm

alannak wrote:does 1 campus have better professors than the other?
No.
i sort of feel like i read something about video conferencing for classes?
For electives (2L + 3L) you may enroll in courses at either campus. Courses not taught at your campus will be streamed to you from the professor's classroom. You will have a microphone, a large screen, and a display of all of the material the professor puts up at the other campus.

A video of your classroom, with other students taking the class by video, will be on display at the back of the professor's classroom (so he sees you "sitting" with the other students in the class). When you get called on, you will speak into your microphone, press a button at your desk, the camera in your room will zoom in on you, and the video feed will be projected at the front of the professor's classroom so that your classmates at the other campus will see you, not just the professor (who is looking at the video stream at the back of his/her room).

Professors stay a few extra minutes for any student who has a question at the other campus.

I haven't taken a class this way yet, but I have been involved with meetings, presentations, forums, etc. using the technology. My opinion is that there is effectively no difference between taking a class via video conference and taking it in person. The professor/student dynamic is the same. There will be students on your campus taking the course with you (good if you like study groups, or even if you just like having peers to talk about the reading with).

Obviously opinions will differ from person to person, but I don't know anyone who avoids taking a class because it's video conferenced.

In short, I would put "course offerings" at the very bottom of the list of things to consider when trying to determine which campus to attend, because you'll have an opportunity to take almost any course offered at either campus, and the experience will be virtually the same whether or not you take it in person.

texlawtex

New

Post by texlawtex » Tue Feb 23, 2010 5:01 pm

who has been in review the lonest? I'm working on at least a month, just curious if there were others in this boat?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

SoxyPirate

Bronze

Post by SoxyPirate » Tue Feb 23, 2010 5:04 pm

FYI, Penn State extended the application deadline today to April 1.

LSAT! Nooooooooo!

New

Post by LSAT! Nooooooooo! » Tue Feb 23, 2010 5:10 pm

texlawtex wrote:who has been in review the lonest? I'm working on at least a month, just curious if there were others in this boat?
I've been in review since 12/23. I went complete 12/03. I've been forthcoming that my LSAT score is terrible though (153). 3.61 gpa and so-so softs to include 10 years WE.

Anybody else?

SoxyPirate

Bronze

Post by SoxyPirate » Tue Feb 23, 2010 5:43 pm

jlnoa0915 wrote:
Now for the 'bad', which are more subjective to me personally. The cafe has hours from 8-2:30pm and as one who will be studying late at the school it would be nice if they offered extended hours.
This is being addressed by the SBA class representatives. Right now people usually have stuff delivered or pack something to eat for the late-night studying. With downtown only about 5 minutes away, calling in to five guys and making a 15 minute run for burgers is about as difficult as it gets.

Since the building has only been open for a year, they're still working out some of the kinks. In fact, the students petitioned and got them to open the cafe before 8:00 recently, and I imagine if the demand is there they'll extend hours for the afternoon.

Similarly, at the beginning of last semester, the library closed around midnight (I believe), with extended hours on Sunday night. Students said they wanted it open 24/7, and now it is.

Another 'bad' would be the shuttle routes. Parking for 1L's is at the stadium, which is only about a 10 minute walk from the law school, but the shuttles that go by the stadium are heading in the other direction! If it's snowing or raining, or just extremely cold, you either walk 10 minutes or take the shuttle for 35 minutes (or more). Going back is a bit faster, but still longer than the walk. Students are speaking out about this too, and we hope to have an alternative shuttle route soon.

Just remember, the place is new, not only to the students, but to the entire University and community. We're still trying to settle into our new home, and we're addressing issues as soon as they come up.
I was also disappointed that there were not more centralized student centers; felt that as its a new building it could have had some more ergonomic planning.
I guess I don't know what a "student center" is supposed to be, so I can't really comment. If you mean places for students to gather, then I suppose I see your point if you mean there's no game room or student lounge. There is a HUGE....HUGE (like, the entire length of the school) lobby area with probably 50 leather chairs, coffee tables, and outlets for "chill" time and chatting. When it's not covered in snow, there's an outdoor patio with tables, chairs, and outlets, and there's a garden with tables and chairs out back. We have 2 refrigerators and 2 microwaves downstairs, with more leather chairs and coffee tables for lounging between classes (which makes the whole "cafe only stays open until 3" thing a little easier to deal with). There are similar chair/coffee table set ups all over the school, in the library, outside of classrooms and professors' offices.

It would take more effort to find a place where 4 or 5 friends COULDN'T gather, chat, or have lunch than it would to find a place to do those things.

That being said, most people just come to the library and study though...which is what you'll do at whatever school you attend. Really.
Overall the cons outweigh the pros in my opinion.
Wait, you had a good impression of the Dean, the direction the school's heading, the building, the technology, the courtroom, the library, the atmosphere, the staff, the class you attended, the professor, and the students...

...but cafe hours and building layouts outweigh that? I'm not trying to be a smart ass, just seeing if I'm understanding you correctly. If cafe hours are that important to you that's fine, but was there something else you didn't mention?

bitlrc

Bronze

Post by bitlrc » Tue Feb 23, 2010 5:50 pm

^^^

i had the same impression from the conclusion. it seemed like a reasonably positive experience with a few minor issues. i'm curious as the whether the problems you mentioned really were glaring and egregious enough to dampen your view of the school as a whole?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

horriblegb

Bronze

Post by horriblegb » Tue Feb 23, 2010 7:29 pm

If anyone wants to talk about or answer my questions about the open house: http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 8&t=108815

Thank you :)

jlnoa0915

Bronze

Post by jlnoa0915 » Tue Feb 23, 2010 7:36 pm

SoxyPirate wrote:
Overall the cons outweigh the pros in my opinion.
Wait, you had a good impression of the Dean, the direction the school's heading, the building, the technology, the courtroom, the library, the atmosphere, the staff, the class you attended, the professor, and the students...

...but cafe hours and building layouts outweigh that? I'm not trying to be a smart ass, just seeing if I'm understanding you correctly. If cafe hours are that important to you that's fine, but was there something else you didn't mention?
Whoa, had a dyslexic moment there will edit it. I meant to say "PROS outweigh the CONS" Thanks for pointing that out. Also thanks for the extra information and bringing up whats trying to be changed. I did see the lounge area but as I said subjectively it wasn't much to my liking. Once again sorry for the mix up.

Modian

New

Post by Modian » Wed Feb 24, 2010 3:00 pm

WL'd today via email. 164/2.X. I guess they're playing the waiting game with splitters. Haven't decided it I want to ride it out yet.

jaskat

Bronze

Post by jaskat » Wed Feb 24, 2010 4:19 pm

Last edited by jaskat on Tue Nov 23, 2010 2:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

jimicornerstone

New

Post by jimicornerstone » Wed Feb 24, 2010 5:31 pm

WLed today as well. 164/2.9 Splitter here. I'll wait it out until I hear from some of the other Philly-centric schools. This definitely moves them down on my list though.

Compaq1984

Bronze

Post by Compaq1984 » Wed Feb 24, 2010 5:54 pm

jimicornerstone wrote:WLed today as well. 164/2.9 Splitter here. I'll wait it out until I hear from some of the other Philly-centric schools. This definitely moves them down on my list though.

they are on a serious "number kick" this year... you would have been a pretty easy admit in previous years... They are moving further down my list with every post I am seeing... I never liked the idea of "teleconferencing" for any of my classes when I'm paying $33k per year anyways soooo... F that...

JohnnyDarko

New

Post by JohnnyDarko » Wed Feb 24, 2010 5:58 pm

WL today as well. GPA slightly above median, LSAT above 75th. First waitlist of the cycle = dissapointing and invokes insecurities about the schools I'm waiting to hear from. :-(

jlnoa0915

Bronze

Post by jlnoa0915 » Wed Feb 24, 2010 6:01 pm

Compaq1984 wrote:
jimicornerstone wrote:WLed today as well. 164/2.9 Splitter here. I'll wait it out until I hear from some of the other Philly-centric schools. This definitely moves them down on my list though.

they are on a serious "number kick" this year... you would have been a pretty easy admit in previous years... They are moving further down my list with every post I am seeing... I never liked the idea of "teleconferencing" for any of my classes when I'm paying $33k per year anyways soooo... F that...
From the visit I actually saw the video conferencing as a plus. Mostly because it gives the option for firms to interview who would normally not travel to PA and in the end give the students a greater access to potential employment. If it will work out that way has yet to be seen though.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”