Penn State 2010 application cycle Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
horriblegb

Bronze

Re: Penn State 2010 application cycle

Post by horriblegb » Sat Apr 03, 2010 2:27 pm

Well, my deadline was the 1st, so I guess i withdrew, but i am going to send it in on tuesday officially (I am waiting to hear back on my travel stipend). I know lots of people on here have withdrawn but I still hope someone gets my scholly! Good luck all!

scruffs mcguff

Bronze

Post by scruffs mcguff » Mon Apr 12, 2010 7:31 pm

Has anyone tried or had success in negotiating scholarships using offers from other schools as leverage? I was just admitted to Seton Hall with 15k/yr and didn't get anything from Penn State but prefer them over SH. If they are receptive to negotiating, you think this scholly from SH could pull any money from PS?

fanlinxun

Bronze

Post by fanlinxun » Tue Apr 13, 2010 3:39 pm

In off the wait list, but I am curious as to my obligations under this section of the email:

"You will need to accept this offer in writing ( an e-mail to me) no later than Friday, April 16, followed by a $500 non-refundable deposit postmarked no later than April 30, 2010. "

If I accept in writing does that mean that I am obligated to attend? Or does that only occur after I pay the deposit? From what I have read in other places even if I pay the deposit I can still change my mind, but I want to make sure. There are still a couple schools I am waiting to hear from.

longroad

New

Post by longroad » Tue Apr 13, 2010 3:44 pm

congrats on getting off the waitlist fanlinxun. i hope to do the same soon. do you mind sharing your numbers, or anything you did to help your cause? you can pm me if you would rather

thank you!!

jbarl1

Silver

Post by jbarl1 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 4:41 pm

Anyone else see the leaked ranking and notice that Penn State dropped to 72? WTF?!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

scruffs mcguff

Bronze

Post by scruffs mcguff » Tue Apr 13, 2010 4:46 pm

jbarl1 wrote:Anyone else see the leaked ranking and notice that Penn State dropped to 72? WTF?!
Yup sure did. Not sure what happened there. And the consensus seems to be that the leak is legit. I figured it may rise and, if not, stay put.

OGR3

Silver

Post by OGR3 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 4:50 pm

scruffs mcguff wrote:
jbarl1 wrote:Anyone else see the leaked ranking and notice that Penn State dropped to 72? WTF?!
Yup sure did. Not sure what happened there. And the consensus seems to be that the leak is legit. I figured it may rise and, if not, stay put.
That's what happens when they waitlist me...

I use my connections to spite them.

jbarl1

Silver

Post by jbarl1 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 6:35 pm

Now I really hope I get off the waitlist at Ohio State

scruffs mcguff

Bronze

Post by scruffs mcguff » Tue Apr 13, 2010 7:02 pm

jbarl1 wrote:Now I really hope I get off the waitlist at Ohio State
So the drop is enough to abandon ship?

While I agree it is disheartening, it's the same school you decided on earlier. Not that you wouldn't still choose OSU if you got off anyway.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

jbarl1

Silver

Post by jbarl1 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 7:52 pm

scruffs mcguff wrote:
jbarl1 wrote:Now I really hope I get off the waitlist at Ohio State
So the drop is enough to abandon ship?

While I agree it is disheartening, it's the same school you decided on earlier. Not that you wouldn't still choose OSU if you got off anyway.
I would have always gone with OSU over Penn State...these rankings just kind of reaffirm that for me.

cruzgator

New

Post by cruzgator » Tue Apr 13, 2010 9:11 pm

PSU was on a strong upward trend in the rankings before this year. Really sad to see them go down.

fanlinxun

Bronze

Post by fanlinxun » Tue Apr 13, 2010 9:28 pm

congrats on getting off the waitlist fanlinxun. i hope to do the same soon. do you mind sharing your numbers, or anything you did to help your cause? you can pm me if you would rather
158 3.7 My initial PS was somewhat general and lacked anything directly pertinent to Penn State, so in my LOCI I chose some programs they offered and talked them up about how much I would "love" to study in a small town (I applied to Carlisle). I also found my way onto a Chinese television program as a weekly guest this last couple months, so my softs went up a little.

Good luck on getting off the wait list.

longroad

New

Post by longroad » Tue Apr 13, 2010 9:36 pm

thank you for replying. your numbers are slightly higher than mine, but i am still optimistic. nice to know im not too far away. i did the same with LOCI's and updating new softs (although your new soft is much better). anyways, thank you for replying, congrats, and good luck.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

PitchO20

Bronze

Post by PitchO20 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 11:02 pm

fanlinxun wrote:
158 3.7 My initial PS was somewhat general and lacked anything directly pertinent to Penn State, so in my LOCI I chose some programs they offered and talked them up about how much I would "love" to study in a small town (I applied to Carlisle). I also found my way onto a Chinese television program as a weekly guest this last couple months, so my softs went up a little.

Good luck on getting off the wait list.

How were you initially notified of your acceptance?

fanlinxun

Bronze

Post by fanlinxun » Wed Apr 14, 2010 1:43 am

How were you initially notified of your acceptance?
They tried to call my American number, but since I currently live in China they notified me by a short but friendly email. The only downside to being notified so soon is that I don't have much time for some schools who have yet to reach a decision and some better schools that also wait listed me. They only give you a couple day window to accept and then two weeks to send a non-refundable deposit.

lawgirl99

Bronze

Post by lawgirl99 » Fri Apr 16, 2010 3:33 pm

I got a call yesterday from the Director of Admissions offering me a seat from the waitlist. Since they aren't able to give out financial aid offers without an acceptance and seat deposit, and I have a good scholarship offer from another school, I politely withdrew my application. I hope this gives hope to those waitlisted at Penn State!

longroad

New

Post by longroad » Sat Apr 17, 2010 9:44 pm

lawgirl99 wrote:I got a call yesterday from the Director of Admissions offering me a seat from the waitlist. Since they aren't able to give out financial aid offers without an acceptance and seat deposit, and I have a good scholarship offer from another school, I politely withdrew my application. I hope this gives hope to those waitlisted at Penn State!
thank you! if you don't mind me asking, what are your numbers? feel free to pm me.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

jbarl1

Silver

Post by jbarl1 » Sun Apr 18, 2010 3:18 pm

I just realized that Penn State offers a joint degree in law/student affairs...now I am so happy I chose to go there and I can't wait to start!

lawschool4life

New

Post by lawschool4life » Mon Apr 19, 2010 11:14 am

I wouldn't worry too much about the drop. If you look at the grouping they only slid one "spot". There just happen to be a group of schools in the 65 pile and a group of schools in the 72 pile. They are still very much on an upward trend. I am guessing in the next couple of years they'll rise.

smartin

Bronze

Post by smartin » Tue Apr 27, 2010 12:16 pm

Just withdrew -- Pitt and Temple both were able to present better packages. I hope my spot and $10k/year scholarship offer can go to a fellow TLSer.

nonamebreakdown

New

Post by nonamebreakdown » Thu Apr 29, 2010 3:06 pm

Withdrew w/ $60k. Good luck everyone...

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Its on Seabass

New

Post by Its on Seabass » Tue May 11, 2010 3:08 pm

In off of the wl yesterday but i dont think I will be attending

ManUdevil

New

Post by ManUdevil » Tue May 11, 2010 4:04 pm

Its on Seabass wrote:In off of the wl yesterday but i dont think I will be attending
That's good to hear (that they are still pulling from the waitlist, not that you won't be attending). I'm still on the WL and Penn State is my number 1 so there may still be hope. What are you numbers, if you don't mind me asking? You can PM me if you'd like.

Its on Seabass

New

Post by Its on Seabass » Tue May 11, 2010 9:11 pm

ManUdevil wrote:
Its on Seabass wrote:In off of the wl yesterday but i dont think I will be attending
That's good to hear (that they are still pulling from the waitlist, not that you won't be attending). I'm still on the WL and Penn State is my number 1 so there may still be hope. What are you numbers, if you don't mind me asking? You can PM me if you'd like.
3.2, 161

longroad

New

Post by longroad » Wed May 12, 2010 1:36 am

any other WLers get the "are you still interested, let us know if you are not" email today? psu has always been on the top of my list, i just never thought i would get in based on numbers. it seemed like they're gonna pull a lot from the WL so maybe i was wrong and i will get good news at some point!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”