The George Washington Law School 2010

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
nematoad

Re: The George Washington Law School 2010

Postby nematoad » Tue Jan 19, 2010 8:29 pm

nymets123 wrote:
nematoad wrote:
nymets123 wrote:rejected via snail mail in small envelope today. 3.45/163, applied PT.

I guess this rules out Washington DC for me...o well.

for comparison I was straight up accepted to the Fordham PT program so iit seems that GW PT is significantly more selective this cycle

kinda crazy, we are nearly numbers twins 162/3.41, were you ED?

nope, RD.

are you on lawschoolnumbers nematoad?

yeah http://lawschoolnumbers.com/toadie
i was deferred from ED, pretty much expecting a ding but im sending in a very loving LOCI regardless.

CyLaw

Postby CyLaw » Tue Jan 19, 2010 8:49 pm

Accepted today. ED, deferred to RD.

No mention of money or scholarship. Sorry but I can't justify GW with no scholarship, so unless things change, looks like GW is out of my list of schools. And I was really hoping it would work out.

wired

Postby wired » Tue Jan 19, 2010 8:51 pm

Well there goes my CyLaw prediction. It also gives me very little hope for making GW affordable for myself.

ashkenazy

Postby ashkenazy » Tue Jan 19, 2010 8:56 pm

I AM IN!!!!

I'm in China right now (that's why there's so much muck in the air of my avatar), but my letter made it to WA today! It had a really nice hand written note on it too. No mention of $$$ yet, but I'll keep my fingers crossed because I'm married with two kids and no matter how cheap DC can be, it'll still be expensive for our family.

I'm going to say that there's still a chance for scholarships for some of the ED/RD admits and other RD admits who haven't heard about $$ yet. I think GW says most of the merit scholarships come in March anyways, right? The people that are getting big $$$$ offers already I think are those who GWU is enticing in order to increase their numbers. With a 167 and 3.5, I'm just at or below medians, so I think getting money already was wishful thinking. CONGRATS Cylaw, jk, umich, and all the rest of you!
Last edited by ashkenazy on Tue Jan 19, 2010 9:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ozarkhack

Postby ozarkhack » Tue Jan 19, 2010 9:03 pm

Psh.

WL'd via snail today.

Though I guess I should be happy I didn't get outright rejected: GPA below full-time median and LSAT below 25th.

WMCowgirl

Postby WMCowgirl » Tue Jan 19, 2010 9:05 pm

ozarkhack wrote:Psh.

WL'd via snail today.

Though I guess I should be happy I didn't get outright rejected: GPA below full-time median and LSAT below 25th.

stats, if you don't mind me asking?

jmhendri

Postby jmhendri » Tue Jan 19, 2010 9:06 pm

I'm starting to wish I hadn't asked them to switch my app to consideration for PT after my ED got deferred to the regular pool. What a series of blunders this whole process has been. I need a do over.

WMCowgirl

Postby WMCowgirl » Tue Jan 19, 2010 9:07 pm

jmhendri wrote:I'm starting to wish I hadn't asked them to switch my app to consideration for PT after my ED got deferred to the regular pool. What a series of blunders this whole process has been. I need a do over.

haha that's what next year is for :). but no, I am sure you will get in somewhere you want to go!!

lifeaway1985

Postby lifeaway1985 » Tue Jan 19, 2010 9:25 pm

btl-mba wrote:
WMCowgirl wrote:
lifeaway1985 wrote:
btl-mba wrote:Received acceptance over the weekend. Applied ED, Accepted RD.

164/3.93/MBA

Do you mind telling me when is your acceptance package dated? I just know my letter was sent out on Jan 10th. I have a slim hope here...

Sorry, but that doesn't sound good. Most of the deferrals to RD were dated January 10

My letter was dated January 14

Thanks, guys.

nematoad

Postby nematoad » Tue Jan 19, 2010 9:31 pm

jmhendri wrote:I'm starting to wish I hadn't asked them to switch my app to consideration for PT after my ED got deferred to the regular pool. What a series of blunders this whole process has been. I need a do over.

unless they said otherwise i think you'll be considered for both PT and FT, thats what they are doing for me. also go tritons!

sk08

Postby sk08 » Tue Jan 19, 2010 9:44 pm

Agent Bartowski wrote:Ouch.... 3.3/165 PT RD. Dinged, no WL.

Sorry about the rejection! Do you currently work in DC? I have similar numbers as a lot of today's rejections for thePT program but I didn't get a letter today. I know some of the other applicants who got rejections today don't work in DC so i'm trying to figure out if that is a factor....

I'm really shocked by some of these PT rejections. How are they so confident they will be able to fill a class and bring up their numbers? Anyone who wants only PT in DC will go to GULC first - shouldn't they be building their wait list?

applicantin2010

Postby applicantin2010 » Wed Jan 20, 2010 12:25 am

I just sorted on LSN by part time and it's a slaughter, thanks US News. I'm just hoping GW will get on with it already and reject me so I can have final confirmation of where I'm going. All my other schools managed to notify me a few weeks ago and GW is the last one left. I'm PT/RD, low 160s, mid 3.70s.

hiromoto45

Postby hiromoto45 » Wed Jan 20, 2010 1:04 am

Is GW reducing its PT program because of the rankings? Are PT programs bad for rankings? Gtown has a PT program and they were not effected as much as GW in the rankings.

dakatz

Postby dakatz » Wed Jan 20, 2010 1:14 am

hiromoto45 wrote:Is GW reducing its PT program because of the rankings? Are PT programs bad for rankings? Gtown has a PT program and they were not effected as much as GW in the rankings.

I have a strong feeling that they are making their PT program much more difficult to get into in order to raise their rank back up. PT programs aren't necessarily bad for the rankings, but they typically have easier admissions criteria, thus bringing down the schools overall averages. The reason G-Town's doesn't hurt the school is that even the PT program has very high median numbers. GW's PT medians weren't as close to their FT numbers. So yeah, I expect many people who would have gotten in PT last year will not have the same luck this year.

jk11287

Postby jk11287 » Wed Jan 20, 2010 9:08 am

CyLaw wrote:Accepted today. ED, deferred to RD.

No mention of money or scholarship. Sorry but I can't justify GW with no scholarship, so unless things change, looks like GW is out of my list of schools. And I was really hoping it would work out.

I know, I'm very disappointed as well, especially because in the acceptance packet GW mentioned that the new cost os attendance is set at 69K, which seems astronomical. I think that we, however, should wait and see if they throw any money our way. With my low GPA it might be wishful thinking, but onLSN from the last several years, it seems that 169 LSAT caught some of the money later on. GW does offer a lot of people full rides or close to it who decline and go to GULC, etc, instead. So I wouldn't lose hope just yet.

CyLaw

Postby CyLaw » Wed Jan 20, 2010 11:28 am

jk11287 wrote:
CyLaw wrote:Accepted today. ED, deferred to RD.

I know, I'm very disappointed as well, especially because in the acceptance packet GW mentioned that the new cost os attendance is set at 69K, which seems astronomical. I think that we, however, should wait and see if they throw any money our way. With my low GPA it might be wishful thinking, but onLSN from the last several years, it seems that 169 LSAT caught some of the money later on. GW does offer a lot of people full rides or close to it who decline and go to GULC, etc, instead. So I wouldn't lose hope just yet.

You may be right. I looked at LSN, and it seems that people with similar numbers to us that were deferred from ED and accepted RD were notified in late February about a scholarship (the 90k + first year deal). So we will see what happens. But as of right now, with no money awarded, GW is not even in the running as it would actually be cheaper for me to attend Cornell with GI Bill then GW with GI Bill.

ozarkhack

Postby ozarkhack » Wed Jan 20, 2010 11:44 am

WMCowgirl wrote:
ozarkhack wrote:Psh.

WL'd via snail today.

stats, if you don't mind me asking?

161/3.72 ... Also: ~7yrs WE and great LORs.

Amelie

Postby Amelie » Wed Jan 20, 2010 11:45 am

CyLaw wrote:
jk11287 wrote:I know, I'm very disappointed as well, especially because in the acceptance packet GW mentioned that the new cost os attendance is set at 69K, which seems astronomical. I think that we, however, should wait and see if they throw any money our way. With my low GPA it might be wishful thinking, but onLSN from the last several years, it seems that 169 LSAT caught some of the money later on. GW does offer a lot of people full rides or close to it who decline and go to GULC, etc, instead. So I wouldn't lose hope just yet.

You may be right. I looked at LSN, and it seems that people with similar numbers to us that were deferred from ED and accepted RD were notified in late February about a scholarship (the 90k + first year deal). So we will see what happens. But as of right now, with no money awarded, GW is not even in the running as it would actually be cheaper for me to attend Cornell with GI Bill then GW with GI Bill.

I'm withdrawing today, so hopefully that means one more scholarship is available... I hope you get it! FWIW I knew a few people last year who were awarded the big scholarship in March (who were admitted much earlier), so there's definitely still hope.

jk11287

Postby jk11287 » Wed Jan 20, 2010 12:27 pm

CyLaw are you planning on writing any sort of letter asking for money? I didn't really apply to that many other schools so I don't know how much leverage I have, but I was planning on writing a letter emphasizing my desire to go to GW and basically saying, "I deserve money," attaching a couple more recommendations, etc.

CyLaw

Postby CyLaw » Wed Jan 20, 2010 12:46 pm

jk11287 wrote:CyLaw are you planning on writing any sort of letter asking for money? I didn't really apply to that many other schools so I don't know how much leverage I have, but I was planning on writing a letter emphasizing my desire to go to GW and basically saying, "I deserve money," attaching a couple more recommendations, etc.

Yeah, I was planning on it, but trying to think of what to say.

jk11287

Postby jk11287 » Wed Jan 20, 2010 12:52 pm

CyLaw wrote:
jk11287 wrote:CyLaw are you planning on writing any sort of letter asking for money? I didn't really apply to that many other schools so I don't know how much leverage I have, but I was planning on writing a letter emphasizing my desire to go to GW and basically saying, "I deserve money," attaching a couple more recommendations, etc.

Same.

sandiecohen47

Postby sandiecohen47 » Wed Jan 20, 2010 1:56 pm

Just got the big packet from GW! In! I got the complete e-mail twice (first on 12/3 and then on 12/28). The letter had a personalized note from the dean which means they actually read my application. Sweet!

165/3.98 RD FT. Good luck (and congrats) to the rest of you!

umichgrad

Postby umichgrad » Wed Jan 20, 2010 1:57 pm

jk11287 wrote:
CyLaw wrote:

Same.

I'm doing it too. Although I think I'm waiting till at least the end of Feb to see if any money is coming. I was planning on just being honest and saying that a number of peer schools (W&M, W&L, maybe Fordham) offered money, and while GW is my first choice I just can't do it without at least a little help.

jk11287

Postby jk11287 » Wed Jan 20, 2010 2:20 pm

My official stats are 169/3.3, but my non-LSDAS GPA is 3.83 with a double major. I sort of want to say to them, listen, you have to report my lsdas anyway since I'm accepted and going here, but don't you think that my really high GPA and upward trend should be considered in the merit aid process? Because honestly, I think it should. I'm getting married this year and I just graduated college, I actually really can't afford to pay sticker and any little bit helps. I'm going to attach recommendations from professors I had this year who will testify that a.) I'm a great student (and my LSDAS isn't indicative of my capabilities) and b.) I didn't slack off just because it was senior year, and hope for the best.

Any other suggestions?

wired

Postby wired » Wed Jan 20, 2010 2:31 pm

jk11287 wrote:My official stats are 169/3.3, but my non-LSDAS GPA is 3.83 with a double major. I sort of want to say to them, listen, you have to report my lsdas anyway since I'm accepted and going here, but don't you think that my really high GPA and upward trend should be considered in the merit aid process? Because honestly, I think it should. I'm getting married this year and I just graduated college, I actually really can't afford to pay sticker and any little bit helps. I'm going to attach recommendations from professors I had this year who will testify that a.) I'm a great student (and my LSDAS isn't indicative of my capabilities) and b.) I didn't slack off just because it was senior year, and hope for the best.

Any other suggestions?

Ouch. Do you mind if I ask how you took such a big hit on GPA?

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”