The George Washington Law School 2010

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
missinglink

Re: The George Washington Law School 2010

Postby missinglink » Mon Apr 26, 2010 3:06 pm

Well, that took a while. I applied in January, just got my WL letter in the mail. 163 / 3.8x.

I actually expected a rejection given the size of the envelope.

Always Credited

Postby Always Credited » Mon Apr 26, 2010 3:08 pm

Just wanted to finally get in on one of these threads...I'll be attending in August 8)

Good luck to all of you still waiting.

uganik

Postby uganik » Mon Apr 26, 2010 6:47 pm

At least 3 rejections were received today as reported on LSN........... :shock:

dudders

Postby dudders » Mon Apr 26, 2010 6:49 pm

Officially conjuring up the balls to write my seat deposit check ... Debt and DC, here I come!

danieltorrey

Postby danieltorrey » Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:56 pm

Hello my fellow law students/applicants,

I want to ask you all to give your brunt opinion on what are my realistic chances of being accepted off of George Washington's wait list.
I have a bit of an unusual situation.
My LSAT was 160 and I have strong softs. LSAT was a bit low to my capacity because English is my second language, I am also an under represented minority.
In addition, I don't have a traditional GPA because I am foreign graduated; however, my undergrad is in law (LL.B degree, aka Bachelor of Laws) in a civil law country, with strong grade average (8.7 on a 0 to 10 scale)
Since being wait listed, I followed up with a Letter of Continued Interest and arranged another strong LOR to be sent to their admissions office.
I've also submitted a seat deposit at American University, and since schools can see where one submitted a seat deposit after the deposit deadline, do you think this may impact their decision?

What do you guys (and gals) think? Any other ideas on how I can increase my chances? I really, really want to get into GW law.

Cheers.

minuit

Postby minuit » Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:59 pm

danieltorrey wrote:Hello my fellow law students/applicants,

I want to ask you all to give your brunt opinion on what are my realistic chances of being accepted off of George Washington's wait list.
My LSAT was 160 and I have strong softs. LSAT was a bit low to my capacity because English is my second language, I am also an under represented minority.
In addition, I don't have a traditional GPA because I am foreign graduated; however, my undergrad is in law (LL.B degree, aka Bachelor of Laws) in a civil law country, with strong grade average (8.7 on a 0 to 10 scale)
Since being wait listed, I followed up with a Letter of Continued Interest and arranged another strong LOR to be sent to their admissions office.
I've also submitted a seat deposit at American University, and since schools can see where one submitted a seat deposit after the deposit deadline, do you think this may impact their decision?

What do you guys (and gals) think? Any other ideas on how I can increase my chances? I really, really want to get into GW law.

Cheers.

have you visited? that's about the only thing i can think you can do at this point, if you've already sent a LOCI and have another LOR.

danieltorrey

Postby danieltorrey » Mon Apr 26, 2010 8:08 pm

minuit wrote:

Cheers.

have you visited? that's about the only thing i can think you can do at this point, if you've already sent a LOCI and have another LOR.

Yeah, I forgot to mention that. I have visited the school before, did the whole tour, class and counseling thing. Also, I hand delivered my LOCI since I am not that far from DC. But thanks for pointing that out!

Another thing I forgot to mention is that I am publishing a law book in my native country (its basically my senior thesis turned into a book), but I don't know if any copies will be available before they make their decision. I was thinking that if it gets published in time I'll send them a copy. I've let them know of this project of mine in my LOCI.

I think that is everything I have done, any one else wants to chip in with some ideas or opinions on my chances?

Thanks

rockstar4488

Postby rockstar4488 » Mon Apr 26, 2010 8:48 pm

WL'ed, recieved it in the mail today. +1 to whomever commented that they sent it out in the tiny envelopes.

gwuorbust

Postby gwuorbust » Mon Apr 26, 2010 8:53 pm

danieltorrey wrote:
minuit wrote:

Cheers.

Yeah, I forgot to mention that. I have visited the school before, did the whole tour, class and counseling thing. Also, I hand delivered my LOCI since I am not that far from DC. But thanks for pointing that out!

Another thing I forgot to mention is that I am publishing a law book in my native country (its basically my senior thesis turned into a book), but I don't know if any copies will be available before they make their decision. I was thinking that if it gets published in time I'll send them a copy. I've let them know of this project of mine in my LOCI.

I think that is everything I have done, any one else wants to chip in with some ideas or opinions on my chances?

Thanks

need numbers b4 commenting

danieltorrey

Postby danieltorrey » Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:00 pm

gwuorbust wrote:
danieltorrey wrote:
minuit wrote:

Cheers.

Thanks

need numbers b4 commenting

As stated above, LSAT 160, no GPA (foreign graduated). Strong softs (foreign attorney at law), studied English at Cambridge, URM.

Always Credited

Postby Always Credited » Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:01 pm

Cheers.

I don't think it'll impact their decision. With that said, GWU has let in a notoriously small number off the waitlist in recent years, even when the numbers are inflated a bit to compensate for the non-representative sample that is LSN.

rockstar4488

Postby rockstar4488 » Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:02 pm

When did you apply?

danieltorrey

Postby danieltorrey » Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:06 pm

rockstar4488 wrote:When did you apply?

I applied late October 09. I was wait listed in February.

chutzpah

Postby chutzpah » Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:11 pm

WL today. 3.64 165/174. Really, GW? I guess its because I applied late.

rockstar4488

Postby rockstar4488 » Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:16 pm

Yeah, as per LSN, seems they havn't accepted anyone for a pretty long time. Just rejections and a few waitlistings.

danieltorrey, I'd send a more current LOCI if you havent, so they know you are still available.

sibley

Postby sibley » Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:17 pm

chutzpah wrote:WL today. 3.64 165/174. Really, GW? I guess its because I applied late.

how late did you end up applying, balls?

also, maybe they've been stalking you and know you're going to kennedy school. so weird how this stuff happens... people wl at gw in at fordham, me the other way around.

am I making the right choice turning down 42k +5k living in favor of GW w/15k?
Last edited by sibley on Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

danieltorrey

Postby danieltorrey » Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:23 pm

rockstar4488 wrote:Yeah, as per LSN, seems they havn't accepted anyone for a pretty long time. Just rejections and a few waitlistings.

danieltorrey, I'd send a more current LOCI if you havent, so they know you are still available.

I kept in touch with them, every time and again I would call or send e-mails to make sure my extra LOR was received and emphasized my desire to attend the school etc. Do you think I should send another LOCI in May since we've passed the April 15th deposit deadline?

I know that GW praises contact quite a bit and I have tried my best to stay in their radar.

rockstar4488

Postby rockstar4488 » Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:27 pm

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the deposit deadline was pushed forward to early May.

sibley

Postby sibley » Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:31 pm

rockstar4488 wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong, but the deposit deadline was pushed forward to early May.

May 1 I believe

danieltorrey

Postby danieltorrey » Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:35 pm

rockstar4488 wrote:Correct me if I'm wrong, but the deposit deadline was pushed forward to early May.

I have no information about that. Last time I contacted GW, they told me they would be starting to reviewing wait listed applications in May.

MSW8510

Postby MSW8510 » Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:40 pm

Cheers.

Just my 2 cents on the situation...

It seems to me that GW is placing a stronger emphasis on raising their median LSAT this cycle (just based on data available on the internet; I don't claim to know for sure). If they dip into their WL to raise LSAT, you might be in trouble, and if they dip in to raise GPA, it won't help that you don't have one. Your URM status is a plus, but I don't know how that factors into getting off a waitlist. I would just let them know how interested you are and continue to ride it out.

If you don't get in though, I would decline American's offer and reapply to GW next cycle. You said you probably underperformed on the LSAT, and a 160 for someone who doesn't comprehend English like a native speaker does is very impressive. I think that directed study (LSAT prep, as well as generally reading to improve English language comprehension) could be especially effective at raising your LSAT score. If you treat LSAT prep like it's a job, I think you can score higher and do very well next cycle . If you were to retake in the 165-170 range, as a URM, you could probably even get merit $$.

You certainly have a unique story to tell. I hope all goes well and I'll see you there in the fall.

danieltorrey

Postby danieltorrey » Mon Apr 26, 2010 9:58 pm

MSW8510 wrote:

Cheers.

It seems to me that GW is placing a stronger emphasis on raising their median LSAT this cycle (just based on data available on the internet; I don't claim to know for sure). If they dip into their WL to raise LSAT, you might be in trouble, and if they dip in to raise GPA, it won't help that you don't have one. Your URM status is a plus, but I don't know how that factors into getting off a waitlist. I would just let them know how interested you are and continue to ride it out.

If you don't get in though, I would decline American's offer and reapply to GW next cycle. You said you probably underperformed on the LSAT, and a 160 for someone who doesn't comprehend English like a native speaker does is very impressive. I think that directed study (LSAT prep, as well as generally reading to improve English language comprehension) could be especially effective at raising your LSAT score. If you treat LSAT prep like it's a job, I think you can score higher and do very well next cycle . If you were to retake in the 165-170 range, as a URM, you could probably even get merit $$.

You certainly have a unique story to tell. I hope all goes well and I'll see you there in the fall.

Hey, thanks for the kind regards man, I hope I see you there as well.

I don't know about retaking the LSAT though. I already studied 7 months straight for it as if it was a job. I am not very confident I could significantly increase my score. Even the language factor I don't think I could improve, I've studied English at Cambridge University for two years (I've also sent them my Cambridge certificates).
Well, the only GPA I have from a U.S. college is a 4.0 from a community college I took a couple classes from back in the day, but I don't think it will help me much because it was 8 years ago and they are not part of my undergrad degree. I hope they consider that I am already a practicing attorney in my country and that my plans to get a JD from GW is proof that I am not lazy and have a long-term global business strategy.

Thanks for all the good advice and honest opinions, they are really appreciated.

Cheers.

sibley

Postby sibley » Mon Apr 26, 2010 10:06 pm

danieltorrey wrote:
MSW8510 wrote:

Cheers.

I don't know about retaking the LSAT though. I already studied 7 months straight for it as if it was a job. I am not very confident I could significantly increase my score. Even the language factor I don't think I could improve, I've studied English at Cambridge University for two years (I've also sent them my Cambridge certificates).
Well, the only GPA I have from a U.S. college is a 4.0 from a community college I took a couple classes from back in the day, but I don't think it will help me much because it was 8 years ago and they are not part of my undergrad degree. I hope they consider that I am already a practicing attorney in my country and that my plans to get a JD from GW is proof that I am not lazy and have a long-term global business strategy.

Thanks for all the good advice and honest opinions, they are really appreciated.

Cheers.

did you only take it once? I took a practice test, got a 158, studied really seriously for half a year, was practicing pretty well, got a 158 on the real exam too. took it again a month later with just a little bit of review before the exam, got a 170

danieltorrey

Postby danieltorrey » Mon Apr 26, 2010 10:21 pm

sibley wrote:
danieltorrey wrote:
MSW8510 wrote:

Cheers.

Cheers.

did you only take it once? I took a practice test, got a 158, studied really seriously for half a year, was practicing pretty well, got a 158 on the real exam too. took it again a month later with just a little bit of review before the exam, got a 170

Yeah, I took it once for real. My problem with the LSAT is that the time constraints are exacerbated because of my non-native English. I guess I read 1/4 slower than native speakers, this was clear on reading comp as most people turned their pages when I was half way through the second page. So that translates into fewer questions attacked and so forth. I took a practice test once giving myself 10 extra minutes and I scored 168. What sucks is that reading any faster hampers my accuracy. I know that it may sound as if I am bitching, but the LSAT, for foreign language purposes, is way more demanding than the TOEFL, in par with Europe's CPE (only that they give you 45 minutes each section instead of 35). Another thing I noticed was that, for the classes I visited at GW, W & M, American and Mason, and because I am a foreign attorney, I pretty much had 50% of all questions the professor asked correct without having done any studying.

I just feel that the LSAT is not a good benchmark for foreign graduated attorneys, its not representative of our capabilities. If I had gone the easy way, I would have applied to an LLM and not have to worry at all about the LSAT. But I like challenges, besides, the JD is more appealing to me than a masters degree.

sibley

Postby sibley » Mon Apr 26, 2010 10:33 pm

danieltorrey wrote:
sibley wrote:
danieltorrey wrote:
MSW8510 wrote:

Cheers.

Yeah, I took it once for real. My problem with the LSAT is that the time constraints are exacerbated because of my non-native English. I guess I read 1/4 slower than native speakers, this was clear on reading comp as most people turned their pages when I was half way through the second page. So that translates into fewer questions attacked and so forth. I took a practice test once giving myself 10 extra minutes and I scored 168. What sucks is that reading any faster hampers my accuracy. I know that it may sound as if I am bitching, but the LSAT, for foreign language purposes, is way more demanding than the TOEFL, in par with Europe's CPE (only that they give you 45 minutes each section instead of 35). Another thing I noticed was that, for the classes I visited at GW, W & M, American and Mason, and because I am a foreign attorney, I pretty much had 50% of all questions the professor asked correct without having done any studying.

I just feel that the LSAT is not a good benchmark for foreign graduated attorneys, its not representative of our capabilities. If I had gone the easy way, I would have applied to an LLM and not have to worry at all about the LSAT. But I like challenges, besides, the JD is more appealing to me than a masters degree.

do you need an american jd? I mean.... wanna just take the bar in a state that lets you do that without law school?

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”