The George Washington Law School 2010

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
sibley
Posts: 2983
Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:38 pm

Re: The George Washington Law School 2010

Postby sibley » Mon Apr 05, 2010 4:52 pm

imisscollege wrote:I was wondering why people (assuming there are people who do) pick GW with no $ over its peers (Fordham, BC, BU, Wash U) who seem to throw money around more liberally? Is it all a DC thing or does GW have something else going for it?


Trying to decide between GW and WashU right now. Cognitive dissonance is relieved by picking GW. I feel a little bad about the t20 job prospects, but my heart wants to be near NYC and my soul wants some city livin (100k people more than where I went to undergrad does not count)

td6624
Posts: 551
Joined: Sun Jan 31, 2010 6:45 pm

Re: The George Washington Law School 2010

Postby td6624 » Mon Apr 05, 2010 6:49 pm

Uhhh

There are others who haven't gotten financial aid info yet, right?

sibley
Posts: 2983
Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:38 pm

Re: The George Washington Law School 2010

Postby sibley » Mon Apr 05, 2010 11:27 pm

td6624 wrote:Uhhh

There are others who haven't gotten financial aid info yet, right?


I called today, was told by the woman who answered at financial aid that I did have a package. was given my student id and told to email Dean Richard. Emailed her, she promptly sent it over. incidentally, if you already have your student id you can just log in to the site at http://banweb.gwu.edu with your g-id and your date of birth (modayr).

anyone have advice for this friday? currently deciding between driving and flying (7 hour drive)... gonna have to get a hotel for thursday night either way. where to stay on the cheap? doesn't have to be in dc but if not should be between DC and...say...Buffalo.

td6624
Posts: 551
Joined: Sun Jan 31, 2010 6:45 pm

Re: The George Washington Law School 2010

Postby td6624 » Tue Apr 06, 2010 12:09 am

sibley wrote:
td6624 wrote:Uhhh

There are others who haven't gotten financial aid info yet, right?


I called today, was told by the woman who answered at financial aid that I did have a package. was given my student id and told to email Dean Richard. Emailed her, she promptly sent it over. incidentally, if you already have your student id you can just log in to the site at http://banweb.gwu.edu with your g-id and your date of birth (modayr).



Hm, thanks. I might make that phone call tomorrow (I don't have a GW-ID yet, I don't think...)

dudders
Posts: 467
Joined: Sat Mar 13, 2010 4:56 pm

Re: The George Washington Law School 2010

Postby dudders » Tue Apr 06, 2010 3:59 pm

I just got my fin aid e-mail within the last hours. Thrilled with $45k. I was expecting a big fat $0 this late in the cycle, though I guess GW is being this bizzare and slow with everyone.

!!! :D

sibley
Posts: 2983
Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:38 pm

Re: The George Washington Law School 2010

Postby sibley » Tue Apr 06, 2010 4:22 pm

dudders wrote:I just got my fin aid e-mail within the last hours. Thrilled with $45k. I was expecting a big fat $0 this late in the cycle, though I guess GW is being this bizzare and slow with everyone.

!!! :D


nice that's what I got too.. but that's need based for me, should be for your too as they didn't have any scholarship money left.

dudders
Posts: 467
Joined: Sat Mar 13, 2010 4:56 pm

Re: The George Washington Law School 2010

Postby dudders » Tue Apr 06, 2010 5:11 pm

dudders wrote:
I just got my fin aid e-mail within the last hours. Thrilled with $45k. I was expecting a big fat $0 this late in the cycle, though I guess GW is being this bizzare and slow with everyone.

!!!


sibley wrote:
nice that's what I got too.. but that's need based for me, should be for your too as they didn't have any scholarship money left.


Need-based yes. But $ is $.

User avatar
Interminable_Waiting
Posts: 342
Joined: Tue Dec 08, 2009 12:17 pm

Re: The George Washington Law School 2010

Postby Interminable_Waiting » Tue Apr 06, 2010 5:26 pm

GW just gave me 7K a year. That is 1/3 of what Georgetown gave me...

User avatar
Teoeo
Posts: 801
Joined: Mon Feb 22, 2010 11:21 am

Re: The George Washington Law School 2010

Postby Teoeo » Tue Apr 06, 2010 5:38 pm

easy choice then..... GW!

sibley
Posts: 2983
Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:38 pm

Re: The George Washington Law School 2010

Postby sibley » Tue Apr 06, 2010 6:09 pm

Interminable_Waiting wrote:GW just gave me 7K a year. That is 1/3 of what Georgetown gave me...


<growls at georgetown for being so flipping anti-sibley>

dudders wrote:
Need-based yes. But $ is $.


I agree. $ is $. I called financial aid because I'm concerned about not being able to keep it (eg if they just 'accidentally' dont have enough for me next year or if they decide my summer job was too lucrative or something) and I end up partially basing my decision on something phony. but their receptionist took a while to understand what I was saying and then didn't give me a helpful answer. Am trying really hard to remember to ask on Friday.

redbutton
Posts: 28
Joined: Sun Feb 28, 2010 9:06 pm

Re: The George Washington Law School 2010

Postby redbutton » Tue Apr 06, 2010 6:20 pm

to everyone out there who has gotten their financial aid packages and has received some aid....

and if you were born after 1981 and therefore had to fill out your parents' information on the FAFSA....

and if your parents jointly make roughly 200k or more....

Did you get any need-based aid? I ask because I am married and financially independent of my parents but am afraid their salaries will disqualify me even though they won't be paying for anything.

Thanks!

td6624
Posts: 551
Joined: Sun Jan 31, 2010 6:45 pm

Re: The George Washington Law School 2010

Postby td6624 » Tue Apr 06, 2010 7:27 pm

redbutton wrote:to everyone out there who has gotten their financial aid packages and has received some aid....

and if you were born after 1981 and therefore had to fill out your parents' information on the FAFSA....

and if your parents jointly make roughly 200k or more....

Did you get any need-based aid? I ask because I am married and financially independent of my parents but am afraid their salaries will disqualify me even though they won't be paying for anything.

Thanks!


Need based aid as in grants or loans?

I'm guessing you mean grants. In which case the answer is no. I just have the merit money and loans.

sibley
Posts: 2983
Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:38 pm

Re: The George Washington Law School 2010

Postby sibley » Tue Apr 06, 2010 7:32 pm

td6624 wrote:
redbutton wrote:to everyone out there who has gotten their financial aid packages and has received some aid....

and if you were born after 1981 and therefore had to fill out your parents' information on the FAFSA....

and if your parents jointly make roughly 200k or more....

Did you get any need-based aid? I ask because I am married and financially independent of my parents but am afraid their salaries will disqualify me even though they won't be paying for anything.

Thanks!


Need based aid as in grants or loans?

I'm guessing you mean grants. In which case the answer is no. I just have the merit money and loans.


yep. but if you mean loans you should be eligible for graduate plus in the full amount of cost of attendance. I doubt you'd get stafford or anything but I'm not sure about that.

..anyone know why washu gave me a pell grant and gw didn't?

sibley
Posts: 2983
Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:38 pm

Re: The George Washington Law School 2010

Postby sibley » Tue Apr 06, 2010 7:57 pm

Anyone going to the admitted students event on Friday? Having the worst time finding a flight that'll get me there before the day is half over... but if I fly into Baltimore I can do it. Is Amtrak convenient and cheap between that airport and union station?

Pearalegal
Posts: 1433
Joined: Fri Jan 30, 2009 10:50 am

Re: The George Washington Law School 2010

Postby Pearalegal » Tue Apr 06, 2010 8:00 pm

sibley wrote:Anyone going to the admitted students event on Friday? Having the worst time finding a flight that'll get me there before the day is half over... but if I fly into Baltimore I can do it. Is Amtrak convenient and cheap between that airport and union station?


Oh god, completely. You can take a marc train for $6....and theres a free shuttle to and from the airport to the Amtrak/Marc station.

User avatar
Dignan
Posts: 1110
Joined: Sun Feb 08, 2009 5:52 pm

Re: The George Washington Law School 2010

Postby Dignan » Tue Apr 06, 2010 8:02 pm

sibley wrote:Anyone going to the admitted students event on Friday? Having the worst time finding a flight that'll get me there before the day is half over... but if I fly into Baltimore I can do it. Is Amtrak convenient and cheap between that airport and union station?

Amtrak is convenient but not terribly cheap. It'll run you $15 - $25, depending on which train you take. If the timing works, I'd suggest a MARC train (a commuter train that runs on the same line as Amtrak) instead. It shouldn't cost more than $6 or $7.

sibley
Posts: 2983
Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:38 pm

Re: The George Washington Law School 2010

Postby sibley » Tue Apr 06, 2010 8:14 pm

Dignan wrote:
sibley wrote:Anyone going to the admitted students event on Friday? Having the worst time finding a flight that'll get me there before the day is half over... but if I fly into Baltimore I can do it. Is Amtrak convenient and cheap between that airport and union station?

Amtrak is convenient but not terribly cheap. It'll run you $15 - $25, depending on which train you take. If the timing works, I'd suggest a MARC train (a commuter train that runs on the same line as Amtrak) instead. It shouldn't cost more than $6 or $7.



the timing is what's killing me. I can't get a flight from here to there by that time of morning unless I give my firstborn.

but, if I DO give my firstborn I can get to dca at 9:10, which should give me ample time to get to the school.

I want to drive =(

Pearalegal
Posts: 1433
Joined: Fri Jan 30, 2009 10:50 am

Re: The George Washington Law School 2010

Postby Pearalegal » Tue Apr 06, 2010 8:15 pm

sibley wrote:
Dignan wrote:
sibley wrote:Anyone going to the admitted students event on Friday? Having the worst time finding a flight that'll get me there before the day is half over... but if I fly into Baltimore I can do it. Is Amtrak convenient and cheap between that airport and union station?

Amtrak is convenient but not terribly cheap. It'll run you $15 - $25, depending on which train you take. If the timing works, I'd suggest a MARC train (a commuter train that runs on the same line as Amtrak) instead. It shouldn't cost more than $6 or $7.



the timing is what's killing me. I can't get a flight from here to there by that time of morning unless I give my firstborn.

but, if I DO give my firstborn I can get to dca at 9:10, which should give me ample time to get to the school.

I want to drive =(


The marc train runs pretty regularly from 5 am to 11:30 pm

sibley
Posts: 2983
Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:38 pm

Re: The George Washington Law School 2010

Postby sibley » Tue Apr 06, 2010 8:18 pm

Pearalegal wrote:
sibley wrote:the timing is what's killing me. I can't get a flight from here to there by that time of morning unless I give my firstborn.
but, if I DO give my firstborn I can get to dca at 9:10, which should give me ample time to get to the school.
I want to drive =(


The marc train runs pretty regularly from 5 am to 11:30 pm


Holy crap. My firstborn is not worth $1000. If I drive it'll cost me a total of $100 in gas, however much for a hotel, plus 15 hours of my time. That's a better deal, I think, than even the $450 bwi total cost.

what are you guys doing for laptops? I'm set on a mac but GW says it's not very compatible...

also, close enough to school? --LinkRemoved--

umichgrad
Posts: 381
Joined: Wed Aug 26, 2009 11:53 am

Re: The George Washington Law School 2010

Postby umichgrad » Wed Apr 07, 2010 10:21 am

sibley wrote:
Pearalegal wrote:
sibley wrote:the timing is what's killing me. I can't get a flight from here to there by that time of morning unless I give my firstborn.
but, if I DO give my firstborn I can get to dca at 9:10, which should give me ample time to get to the school.
I want to drive =(


The marc train runs pretty regularly from 5 am to 11:30 pm


Holy crap. My firstborn is not worth $1000. If I drive it'll cost me a total of $100 in gas, however much for a hotel, plus 15 hours of my time. That's a better deal, I think, than even the $450 bwi total cost.

what are you guys doing for laptops? I'm set on a mac but GW says it's not very compatible...

also, close enough to school? --LinkRemoved--



They'll have to rip my mac off my cold, dead body. No PCs here.

That apartment is fine if it actually is close to Eastern Market. Union Station will take you to Metro Center, where you'd have to change to Orange/Blue to Foggy Bottom. Conversely you could go to Dupont on the red line and walk from there, though its not that close. Eastern Market to Foggy Bottom is about 20 minutes not including walk time.

Doodsmack
Posts: 114
Joined: Wed Jan 06, 2010 11:39 am

Re: The George Washington Law School 2010

Postby Doodsmack » Wed Apr 07, 2010 10:24 am

Interminable_Waiting wrote:GW just gave me 7K a year. That is 1/3 of what Georgetown gave me...


Unconscionable.

User avatar
monkey85
Posts: 394
Joined: Fri Feb 20, 2009 7:07 pm

Re: The George Washington Law School 2010

Postby monkey85 » Wed Apr 07, 2010 2:43 pm

Noice.

DC is the best city for lawyers:
http://abovethelaw.com/2010/04/atl-marc ... r-lawyers/

Go G-dubs!

User avatar
sky7
Posts: 248
Joined: Tue Dec 04, 2007 2:44 pm

Re: The George Washington Law School 2010

Postby sky7 » Wed Apr 07, 2010 2:49 pm

I'd say the majority of students at GW have a Mac. Don't worry about it.

sibley
Posts: 2983
Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:38 pm

Re: The George Washington Law School 2010

Postby sibley » Wed Apr 07, 2010 2:52 pm

sky7 wrote:I'd say the majority of students at GW have a Mac. Don't worry about it.


good. I guess if I need to I can do that thing where I run a ghost or whatever it's caleld of windows, right?

also, that bracket thing... I know nothing about brackets. why did nyc beat out boston when nyc had a lower number next to it than boston did?

event friday... still haven't figured out how I'm going to get there OR informed work... edit: work now knows. boss is awesome. partially because I have no work anyway and so it's easy for people to cover for me and partially because she knows it's important to me and is just cool like that.

umichgrad
Posts: 381
Joined: Wed Aug 26, 2009 11:53 am

Re: The George Washington Law School 2010

Postby umichgrad » Wed Apr 07, 2010 3:05 pm

sibley wrote:
sky7 wrote:I'd say the majority of students at GW have a Mac. Don't worry about it.


good. I guess if I need to I can do that thing where I run a ghost or whatever it's caleld of windows, right?

also, that bracket thing... I know nothing about brackets. why did nyc beat out boston when nyc had a lower number next to it than boston did?

event friday... still haven't figured out how I'm going to get there OR informed work.


the number was its 'seed', as in 2nd seed being better than 3rd seed. like in sports :) the higher seed (1 being higher than 2) is the one favored to win, or with the most wins under its belt coming into the tournament.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Christinabruin, jjcorvino, Keilz, RictusErectus and 11 guests