The George Washington Law School 2010

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
cyh

Re: The George Washington Law School 2010

Postby cyh » Mon Mar 22, 2010 4:56 pm

dudders wrote:Just got a lovely e-mail from GW titled Updates for Admitted Students announcing the school will not be offering or amending any merit scholarships for the rest of the season.

when did you apply?

did you get admitted?

why the hell would they send that e-mail? :shock:

I am still under review. Withdrawing shortly.

LaurenGayle

Postby LaurenGayle » Mon Mar 22, 2010 4:57 pm

dudders wrote:Just got a lovely e-mail from GW titled Updates for Admitted Students announcing the school will not be offering or amending any merit scholarships for the rest of the season.

+1 Got that too:

Merit-Based Aid
At this time, we are not making any additional merit-based scholarship awards and are not modifying any existing awards. I think it unlikely that this will change. That said, we will continue to monitor this situation and, should funds become available, we will consider all admitted students who have not yet been awarded a merit scholarship for a merit-based award.

cyh

Postby cyh » Mon Mar 22, 2010 5:00 pm

LaurenGayle wrote:

+1 Got that too:

Merit-Based Aid
At this time, we are not making any additional merit-based scholarship awards and are not modifying any existing awards. I think it unlikely that this will change. That said, we will continue to monitor this situation and, should funds become available, we will consider all admitted students who have not yet been awarded a merit scholarship for a merit-based award.

This was the one school that I added at the last minute (a month after I submitted all of my other apps), and I knew I shouldn't have. I don't know why I did. I was thinking "safe school."

But this is just so ridiculous. bye bye GW

kaydish21

Postby kaydish21 » Mon Mar 22, 2010 7:43 pm

Got the same email which is even more painful considering I checked off (still blame it on lack of sleep) that I was not applying for financial aid thinking they need parental info and like so many others if my parents info is on there I won't get anything despite the fact I have been completely independent of my parent's support for years. After submission I realized that checking this box also precluded me from merit based aid. I emailed them and got almost the exact same wording as in the email today about merit based aid. #$&@!

Anyone else going to the NYC preview event this Thursday night?

LaurenGayle

Postby LaurenGayle » Tue Mar 23, 2010 9:23 am

kaydish21 wrote:Got the same email which is even more painful considering I checked off (still blame it on lack of sleep) that I was not applying for financial aid thinking they need parental info and like so many others if my parents info is on there I won't get anything despite the fact I have been completely independent of my parent's support for years. After submission I realized that checking this box also precluded me from merit based aid. I emailed them and got almost the exact same wording as in the email today about merit based aid. #$&@!

I was going to go to the preview on Thursday, but this news of no more merit aid made me realize that GW is definitely not a possibility (have a similar parental situation to kaydish). So I'm sending in my WD today. I hope my spot goes to someone awesome!!! Good luck to everyone still waiting!

pollaclc

Postby pollaclc » Tue Mar 23, 2010 9:29 am

kaydish21 wrote:Got the same email which is even more painful considering I checked off (still blame it on lack of sleep) that I was not applying for financial aid thinking they need parental info and like so many others if my parents info is on there I won't get anything despite the fact I have been completely independent of my parent's support for years. After submission I realized that checking this box also precluded me from merit based aid. I emailed them and got almost the exact same wording as in the email today about merit based aid. #$&@!

i checked that off for similar reasons, and still got a scholarship. but maybe you should tell them checking it was a mistake?

missvik218

Postby missvik218 » Tue Mar 23, 2010 9:30 am

Anyone headed to the Miami Preview tonight? With the most recent e-mail outlining how nobody else is getting aid I doubt I'll actually be attending GW but I figured it worth going to the event tonight anyway - may give me some good questions to ask at other ASDs.

FunkyJD

Postby FunkyJD » Tue Mar 23, 2010 11:00 am

Goes GW offer need based scholarships?

kaydish21

Postby kaydish21 » Tue Mar 23, 2010 4:13 pm

FunkyJD wrote:Goes GW offer need based scholarships?

Yes, everyone that qualifies gets at least 3,000 and up to like 18,000 or some number in the area.

sibley

Postby sibley » Tue Mar 23, 2010 4:17 pm

kaydish21 wrote:

Yes, everyone that qualifies gets at least 3,000 and up to like 18,000 or some number in the area.

really! when can I expect my financial aid packet? I had them out of the running bc I didn't get a scholarship.

FunkyJD

Postby FunkyJD » Tue Mar 23, 2010 9:43 pm

kaydish21 wrote:

This makes me want to have GW as an option now. I wasn't sure that I could afford it before this.

insertclevernamehere

Postby insertclevernamehere » Wed Mar 24, 2010 3:08 pm

So the seat deposit deadline has been extended to May 1.

Gosh GW, I wish you were as generous with your funding as you are with nice mailings, emails, and good will.

getmetolawschool

Postby getmetolawschool » Wed Mar 24, 2010 3:10 pm

Gosh GW, I wish you were as generous with your funding as you are with nice mailings, emails, and good will.

LOVE! This is exactly what I was thinking: oh great, I have two extra weeks to be depressed about how much money you cost and how you've given me absolutely nothing!

ApexChaser

Postby ApexChaser » Wed Mar 24, 2010 3:39 pm

sibley wrote:
kaydish21 wrote:

really! when can I expect my financial aid packet? I had them out of the running bc I didn't get a scholarship.

The last email said the coming week should see needs-based aid in the mail.

sibley

Postby sibley » Wed Mar 24, 2010 3:40 pm

ApexChaser wrote:
sibley wrote:
kaydish21 wrote:

The last email said the coming week should see needs-based aid in the mail.

yay. that + seat deposit deadline change = good news.

dakatz

Postby dakatz » Wed Mar 24, 2010 3:42 pm

Really cool of GW to push back the deposit deadline. Guess they realized how crazy everything is with people still waiting on decisions from other schools and numerous financial packages. Its a welcome change to the "holier than thou" attitude you get from some of these places, who string you along with no word, and don't have the slightest hint of consideration toward applicants.

chutzpah

Postby chutzpah » Wed Mar 24, 2010 3:49 pm

hi all. I applied to GW very late -- first week of March -- and have not heard a single thing from them. Not even a "we have received your application" email. Is this normal?

edit: looked back in this thread and answered my own question. I guess I should expect a app received email any day now and a decision sometime next year
Last edited by chutzpah on Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kaydish21

Postby kaydish21 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 3:55 pm

Here's the email they just sent out if it helps. It specifically references those who will receive need but may not have yet as part of the reason for pushing the deadline back.

We have been receiving a number of requests from admitted applicants for extensions of our first seat deposit deadline. We appreciate that choosing which law school you will attend is an important decision and that you are considering a number of factors very carefully. We also understand that many admitted applicants are still waiting to receive need-based financial aid decisions.

Dean Lawrence and the entire GW Law family are committed to doing whatever we can to help you as you make your decision. Toward that end, we are extending our first seat deposit deadline from April 15th to May 1st. I am pleased to get this word out to you -- sooner rather than later -- in an effort to lessen any anxiety and pressure you may be starting to feel.

So -- if you wish to reserve your seat in our fall 2010 entering class, please complete the Intent Form we included in your acceptance package and return that completed form to us, along with your first seat deposit in the amount of $500.00, no later than May 1, 2010 (must be postmarked by May 1st). Please note that seat deposits must be in the form of a check or money order, made payable to "The George Washington University," and that all seat deposits are nonrefundable. Please send your form and seat deposit to:

GW Law - Admissions
700 20th Street, NW
Washington, DC 20052

As always, please let me know if you have questions or if I may be of assistance as you prepare to begin your legal studies -- I hope at GW Law!

nyyankees

Postby nyyankees » Wed Mar 24, 2010 3:58 pm

ugh i feel bad for the WLs cuz with this extension, they are gonna get pushed back until well into may/june

insertclevernamehere

Postby insertclevernamehere » Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:05 pm

nyyankees wrote:ugh i feel bad for the WLs cuz with this extension, they are gonna get pushed back until well into may/june

I didn't even think of this, shows how limited my view gets when I'm tired. I would be beyond upset if one of the schools that I am desperately trying to get into off the waitlist (UGA I'm looking at you) did this.

ryguy

Postby ryguy » Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:09 pm

I was but I just got back from a campus tour, so for me no need. Color me impressed. :D

jk11287

Postby jk11287 » Thu Mar 25, 2010 8:52 am

ryguy wrote:

I was but I just got back from a campus tour, so for me no need. Color me impressed. :D

What did you like about it? I was all set on GW and then i randomly got into Fordham (I'm from NY) so now I'm just plain confused. I've never seen the campus...

missvik218

Postby missvik218 » Thu Mar 25, 2010 9:12 am

<3 GW lately ... I hope they want to give me a decent amount of need aid so I can consider them.

jfonz

Postby jfonz » Thu Mar 25, 2010 3:56 pm

Anyone think that the decision to push back the seat deposit date is particularly kind considering the planned release date for rankings on USNWR? Kudos to GW for not letting USNWR get in the way of doing something decent for students - definitely a big +1 in my book.

Bailarina08

Postby Bailarina08 » Thu Mar 25, 2010 4:05 pm

jfonz wrote:Anyone think that the decision to push back the seat deposit date is particularly kind considering the planned release date for rankings on USNWR? Kudos to GW for not letting USNWR get in the way of doing something decent for students - definitely a big +1 in my book.

When did they push it back to? I was hoping to use the date to figure out when the WL might start moving.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”