The George Washington Law School 2010

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
dontstopbelivin

Re: The George Washington Law School 2010

Postby dontstopbelivin » Tue Mar 02, 2010 12:15 pm

Financial aid heads-up- if you haven't already received a merit scholarship, you probably aren't getting one:

"GW Law Merit Scholarship Awards: At this point, we have made a first round of merit scholarship awards. Merit scholarship award letters were included in the acceptance packages of those selected. Based upon the number of award recipients who have accepted thus far, as well as past experience, we think it is very unlikely that funds will become available to allow us to make a second round of merit scholarship awards." (from a generic email received about 15 minutes ago).

It sounds like there could be some need-based money ($3-15K/year), but not sure who really qualifies.

CyLaw

Postby CyLaw » Tue Mar 02, 2010 12:16 pm

And after reading that email. Withdrawn.

jk11287

Postby jk11287 » Tue Mar 02, 2010 12:16 pm

Can they NOT send an email entitled "Jennifer-Financial Aid-IMPORTANT!" or whatever the hell it was, and then include a FORM LETTER? I seriously thought I was getting cash.

jk11287

Postby jk11287 » Tue Mar 02, 2010 12:17 pm

dontstopbelivin wrote:Financial aid heads-up- if you haven't already received a merit scholarship, you probably aren't getting one:

"GW Law Merit Scholarship Awards: At this point, we have made a first round of merit scholarship awards. Merit scholarship award letters were included in the acceptance packages of those selected. Based upon the number of award recipients who have accepted thus far, as well as past experience, we think it is very unlikely that funds will become available to allow us to make a second round of merit scholarship awards." (from a generic email received about 15 minutes ago).

It sounds like there could be some need-based money ($3-15K/year), but not sure who really qualifies.

Need based aid takes into account both your own and your family's income, even if your parents aren't contributing at all. If you were eligible for financial aid in college, you might be able to get something.

Interminable_Waiting

Postby Interminable_Waiting » Tue Mar 02, 2010 12:20 pm

Ugh. Got that email too. My interest in attending GW over Georgetown w/o the 30K plus housing is 00.

CyLaw

Postby CyLaw » Tue Mar 02, 2010 12:22 pm

jk11287 wrote:
dontstopbelivin wrote:Financial aid heads-up- if you haven't already received a merit scholarship, you probably aren't getting one:

Need based aid takes into account both your own and your family's income, even if your parents aren't contributing at all. If you were eligible for financial aid in college, you might be able to get something.

Parent data is taken into account no matter want if you are under 30, even if you are married, a military veteran, and have not been dependent on your parents for more than 8 years.

This makes my decision so much easier. So, it comes down to Vanderbilt v. Cornell.

CyLaw

Postby CyLaw » Tue Mar 02, 2010 12:24 pm

My wife's reaction to that email
Mrs. CyLaw wrote:GW: "Oh, you need $100? Well, here's a penny."

chutzpah

Postby chutzpah » Tue Mar 02, 2010 12:24 pm

Obviously its super late, but given GW's 3/31 deadline, I was thinking of sending in an app today bc my Feb LSAT (174, up from 165) might net me some $$ from GW. Given that email, do you all think I don't have a chance at merit aid at this point in the cycle?

sjj05

Postby sjj05 » Tue Mar 02, 2010 1:05 pm

CyLaw wrote:And after reading that email. Withdrawn.

+1

td6624

Postby td6624 » Tue Mar 02, 2010 1:11 pm

I'm just glad to have a rough set of days to expect word on my FAFSA.

ndirish2010

Postby ndirish2010 » Tue Mar 02, 2010 1:12 pm

sjj05 wrote:

+1

+2. Disappointing, even Fordham gave me $45K and they are supposed to be equally stingy. I would have really liked to be able to afford GW.

therealfp

Postby therealfp » Tue Mar 02, 2010 4:32 pm

CyLaw wrote:Parent data is taken into account no matter want if you are under 30, even if you are married, a military veteran, and have not been dependent on your parents for more than 8 years.

This makes my decision so much easier. So, it comes down to Vanderbilt v. Cornell.

not true for FAFSA...you need not include parent info if you are over 25, or any of a dozen other circumstances, as listed on the FAFSA website.

true for Need Access, but GW doesn't participate in Need Access, unless I missed something.

holydonkey

Postby holydonkey » Tue Mar 02, 2010 4:35 pm

ndirish2010 wrote:
sjj05 wrote:

+1

+2. Disappointing, even Fordham gave me $45K and they are supposed to be equally stingy. I would have really liked to be able to afford GW.

+3 Seriously, wth. While other schools provide scholarships in ranges, GW is 30k or bust. Good luck filling the rest of your class.

jk11287

Postby jk11287 » Tue Mar 02, 2010 4:35 pm

therealfp wrote:[

not true for FAFSA...you need not include parent info if you are over 25, or any of a dozen other circumstances, as listed on the FAFSA website.

true for Need Access, but GW doesn't participate in Need Access, unless I missed something.

When you fill out the FAFSA for any sort of graduate school you are automatically figured as independent for the sake of federal loan eligibility, etc. It is the school's perrogative, however, to require you to submit parental financal information, EVEN IF you are married and EVEN IF you are 25, etc. And GW does just that.

dakatz

Postby dakatz » Tue Mar 02, 2010 4:36 pm

therealfp wrote:
CyLaw wrote:Parent data is taken into account no matter want if you are under 30, even if you are married, a military veteran, and have not been dependent on your parents for more than 8 years.

GW requires your parent info for the FAFSA if you want to be considered for need-based aid. They seem to be unique in this respect, because no other school I applied to or heard about requires parent FAFSA info. But yes, GW indeed requires this. I confirmed this with their financial aid office.

CyLaw

Postby CyLaw » Tue Mar 02, 2010 4:59 pm

therealfp wrote:

From the most recent email (emphasis not added, this is how GWU sent it).

GW Law Need-Based Grant Awards
If you wish to be considered for a GW Law need-based grant, please be sure that you submit your FAFSA online by going to: http://www.fafsa.ed.gov. If you were born on or after January 1, 1981, your parents must complete the parental information section of the FAFSA if you wish to be considered for a GW Law need-based grant.

mdgold

Postby mdgold » Tue Mar 02, 2010 5:24 pm

CyLaw wrote:
therealfp wrote:

If you wish to be considered for a GW Law need-based grant, please be sure that you submit your FAFSA online by going to: http://www.fafsa.ed.gov. If you were born on or after January 1, 1981, your parents must complete the parental information section of the FAFSA if you wish to be considered for a GW Law need-based grant.

so am i assuming if my parents make a significant amount of money (over 250k) then it is not even worth it for them to fill this out as i won't qualify for need-based grants?

jk11287

Postby jk11287 » Tue Mar 02, 2010 5:25 pm

Not a chance. Im in the same situation, and even though they're not contributing, my parents are ruining my life on this front.

FromRussiaWithLove

Postby FromRussiaWithLove » Tue Mar 02, 2010 5:52 pm

The director of financial aid also told me that if you receive merit money, you will not receive need-based money. So if you have merit money, might as well leave your folks off of the FAFSA

therealfp

Postby therealfp » Tue Mar 02, 2010 6:36 pm

CyLaw wrote:
therealfp wrote:

yeah, you are right, son of a bitch

lslc13

Postby lslc13 » Tue Mar 02, 2010 6:50 pm

Is anyone else ED-to-RD and STILL waiting for a response? We're now officially past the "4-6 weeks" mentioned in the deferral letter. I'm wondering how long I should wait to call...

jelizabeth88

Postby jelizabeth88 » Tue Mar 02, 2010 6:51 pm

pretty positive I am absolutely screwed after entering my parents' fafsa info. does anyone know to what extent they use your parents' info to determine need based aid? they didn't pay for my undergrad and they sure as hell are not going to help with law school...more of the "make it your own way" type. frack.

chinagator

Postby chinagator » Tue Mar 02, 2010 7:44 pm

I do not understand GW's merit aid policy at all.

"At this point, we have made a first round of merit scholarship awards. Merit scholarship award letters were included in the acceptance packages of those selected. Based upon the number of award recipients who have accepted thus far, as well as past experience, we think it is very unlikely that funds will become available to allow us to make a second round of merit scholarship awards."

The 'those selected' seem to be very arbitrary. There are so many people with above median numbers who got nothing, but have identical numbers and just as strong of applications as some of those who get $100,000. This makes absolutely no sense. The expected cost per year is $69,000. Soooo, $207,000 over 3 years, and they offer absolutely nothing to lessen the blow? Wow....

Does anyone know if their policy has always been this way?

therealfp

Postby therealfp » Tue Mar 02, 2010 8:22 pm

therealfp wrote:
CyLaw wrote:
therealfp wrote:

I just realized that reads like I'm calling you a son of a bitch...absolutely not intended, I meant the whole situation is a son of a bitch.

CyLaw

Postby CyLaw » Tue Mar 02, 2010 8:26 pm

therealfp wrote:
therealfp wrote:

I just realized that reads like I'm calling you a son of a bitch...absolutely not intended, I meant the whole situation is a son of a bitch.

HAHA. I didn't read it that way. I thought from the start you were just exclaiming at the situation. But that could just be because of my mind set towards GWU right now.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”